Menu

What book has lifted your spirit most

Well, the Bible, for one. :001_smile:

I highly recommend Passionate Housewives Desperate for God and The Excellent Wife.

In fact, I think I have an extra copy of The Excellent Wife, which I'd be happy to send you, if you'd like it.

(In the same vien as the two I recommended, I would NOT recommend 'Created To Be His Helpmeet', by Debi Pearl. I know that book sometimes gets clumped in with the other two I *did* recommend; however, there is a world of difference, IMO, and I would NOT recommend reading the one by Debi Pearl. Just my $.02.)

wow, this is a hard question. Fiction will sometimes inspire me in a way that non-fiction cannot. This is especially true if the writer is quite good. Heck, even Tolkien inspires me in a way that some sappy "feel good about yourself" book will never do. There's just so much bad "inspirational" fiction/non-fiction out there (used to be in a Book club where that was the only type of book one member would vote on - ugh).

I don't really read "women's" books if I can help it. I try to take what an author can say - whether its specifically for women or not. I like to be challenged.

Anyway. The two *authors* that most inspire me are:

Henri Nouwen. Love his books. My favorite is "Return of the Prodigal"

Anthony Bloom - he writes a lot of books on prayer. He talks about prayer as communion with God. He doesn't do too much how you pray or about petitions and stuff... he's talking about building a relationship.

Linda Dillow is an amazing author. Either of these would probably be great in your situation:

Creative Counterpart : Becoming the Woman, Wife, and Mother You Have Longed To Be

http://www.amazon.com/Creative-Counterpart-Becoming-Mother-Longed/dp/0785263764/ref=ntt_at_ep_dpt_4

Calm My Anxious Heart: A Woman's Guide to Finding Contentment

http://www.amazon.com/Calm-My-Anxious-Heart-Contentment/dp/1600061419/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1328651422&sr=1-1

I'm slow at reading non-fiction books. I know there are some fiction books that are encouraging in this way and I'm drawing a blank. There's The Sister Circle books... four of them...

http://www.amazon.com/Sister-Circle/dp/1414316739/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1328651633&sr=1-1

I'm sure there are more.

When I had dismal days when I was younger, I found laughter to be healing. I took a one volume treasure trove of Reader's Digest jokes to college with me and it saw me through some hard days (think Organic Chemistry).

Regards and good wishes to you,

Kareni