Menu

Splurge? if you had a few thousand to spend?

cagirlintexas

Lucky you!! Honestly, the first thing *I'D* do is sock about half that budget into a college fund for the kiddos, $1500 a year will still be MORE than adequate. I love books myself and have a house full of them, but in the early years, the only books I BUY for my kids are the ones that either we can't get from the library or we've checked out of the library at least three times :-)

But having said that, if I had some extra money to supplement for kids your ages I'd look for the following

GOOD board games - the kind that teach reasoning and strategy rather than just roll the dice and move your pawn. My son is the same age as your DS1 and he likes Qwirkle, Blokus, Ingenious, Yahtzee, Uno, and Forbidden Island right now.

Science EQUIPMENT rather than kits. Most science kits designed for kids are junk. Instead, invest in kid sized safety goggles, tweezers, magnifying glasses, prisms, eyedroppers, test tubes and test tube racks (plastic for your kids current ages), and lots of notebooks. Oh, and pick up a couple pocket microscopes.

Math toys - C rods, base 10 blocks, a couple good protractors, several cheap calculators (don't use them for math lessons, but let the kids play with them), bucket balance and weights, rulers, measuring tapes, tangram tiles, pentominoes, the list goes on.

Art supplies. Just take your kids with you to a kid-friendly art supply store like United Art and Education or whatever your local equivalent is and go wild with the crayons, fingerpaint, different kinds of paper, craft stuff.

HTH!! Wish *I* had that kind of budget! :-)

With a budget like that I would buy the entire collection of Bill Nye videos. I'd probably spread the purchase out over 2 years. EDIT: Oops I see the age. Change that to Magic School Bus.

Do you qualify for any online subscriptions, that do not need to come out of that budget. I'd make sure to be subscribed to BrainPop Jr, but hopefully that wouldn't need to be included in the $3,000, because it will go much faster than you expect.

Math manipulatives.

A newspaper subscription and some NIE (Newspapers in Education) resources. Educational magazines.

Wall maps and a globe.

A printer that prints cheaply and a huge box of paper. Brass fasteners and a 3 hole punch and card stock to make books.

A set of New Book of Knowledge, Comptons or World Book Encyclopedias, a dictionary and a thesaurus. Bible reference books if you are a Christian. Britannica Great Books set.

Keyboard and music. Hymn books and CDs if you are a Christian.

Handwriting font software. Phonics/Spelling curriculum.

Edited by Hunter

I would make sure you have staples of a homeschool like a decent printer, paper cutter, laminator, etc. You'd be amazed how often you can use these things if you have them.

Yeah, and a spiral binder. A very large whiteboard. You can make these with showerboard from Lowes very inexpensively if you are so inclined. It may be 3000 but why waste it?

Hailey

Basically if I don't spend it I don't get it. DH's work will pay for homeschool supplies because if not they will pay 15,000 for private school. Their is no public schools here and the good private schools are a small fortune. The good private schools aren't that good either.

Love the idea of real science equipment. You make a good point. I also added math toys and games to my list.

Educational magazines might be a small fortune to ship one at a time. Might be cheaper just to find good books and bring them all at once although there are so many magazines I have been wanting for my son. Encyclopedias would be good though. I like that.

Aaah, you are in Qatar. Okay...I'll think about that! It certainly changes things :-) How long are you expecting to be there? Will you be able to keep and ship back whatever you buy, when you leave?

Waldorf art supplies and handcrafts.

Edited by Hunter

You can buy a Brainpop subscription at one time. Just get the homeschool option- 89 dollars for the year in one payment so it's not spread out. Also, AHA science is a one time 15 dollar subscription and that's a fun little thing to have around as well. Maybe the Happy Scientist? A musical instrument? Art supplies and lots of them! Oooh, you are going to have so much fun!

foreign language tutor, a great printer, LOTS of educational games, Science videos and experiment kits, LOTS of books (I would buy Sonlight as a core and then add from there!) art supplies, math manipulatives.

What about lessons? Foreign language, sports, music, instruments, art?

I think about this question, right now we are in the U.S. but just the other day I was day dreaming being in that situation and here is what I would buy (mostly books too)

• SWB (writing, grammar, SOTW, etc)
  • Usborne or Kingfisher History and Science Encyclopedia
  • Andrew Campbell (Living Memory, I Speak Latin)
  • Classical Conversations (you can buy the material and CDs which are fantastic and do it at home)
  • Sonlight I could not use sonlight for my curriculum BUT I have ordered so many of thier books and have loved every one (I would just skip the teachers guide if that isn't your style as it isn't mine).
  • of course math, Latin etc
  • videos like Planet Earth, Wonders of God's creation, to view as a family but are educational
  • art supplies (good paper and a huge box of prismacolor primere colored pencils)- we got these for Chistmas and LOVE them

I think I just spent all your $$ ;)

With the ages of your DC's..

I love the language tutor idea

Year long memberships to any museums, zoos, etc., in your area

a microscope that they can use now and through elementary school (a high school level one might be too touchy right now)

A color copier/scanner/printer

A white board

Science in a Nutshell kits:

(http://www.deltaeducation.com/siansplash.aspx?subID=5&menuID=17)

Fast Food Math manipulatives:

http://www.delta-education.com/productgallery.aspx?subID=51

If you can get digital books downloads there for them (not sure how it works in other countries) I would get two Nooks (one for each child). That covers all the books :) and you don't have any storage issues.

Non-electronic books - an atlas, set of encyclopedias, dictionary, The Story of Art (Gombrich), an historical atlas, Hakim's The Story of Science series, a good thesaurus

Personally, I wouldn't know what to do with myself if I had a few thousand dollars to spend on homeschooling For starters I'd buy a full curriculum for all of my girls instead of bits and pieces. I'd buy it all new instead of used. LOL

I'd make sure I had a good printer (which I do already), plenty of printer ink and paper, markers, paint, construction paper. Oh heck I'd even get an Ipad. LOL

I could go on and on with what I could do with $3,000.

Math Games from http://www.mugginsmath.com/store.asp

Jelly Beans and Knock Out!

Pollywogs to Polygons

Number Neighbors (this is a great set....they have a demo you can watch)

Puzzles in increasing difficulty

Wedgits building blocks

Mighty Mind games

GeoWorld puzzles

Critical Thinking Co. books (Building Thinking Skills, etc.)

Manipulatives such as tangrams, cuisenaire rods, etc.

Architecto, Clicko, Equilibrio

Castle Logix, Camelot Jr., and Day and Night

Microscope

Games:

Spot It!

Set card game

Yahtzee

Right Turn, Left Turn

Rory's Story Cubes

Nice readers like Pathway Readers and McGuffey

About the second or third year we were homeschooling I had that kind of money to spend from our own budget (fast forward to today and things aren't going so well so I'm very jealous :-). I bought tons of books as I boycott the library b/c I always rack up fines. Anyway, I bought tons of science kits, craft kits, various curricula to try, and a ton of books. Guess what. The science and craft kits are still in their boxes. I've changed my mind a million times about curricula. But the living books on my shelves have been invaluable. At first the kids didn't pay that much attention to them, but now they regularly go down to our "library" and pick out books to read on history and Science and whatever else interests them. I'd buy as many of the Veritas Press living books as I could and Memoria Press read aloud collections. I'd buy the Dr. Seuss Science books (MP also plans to sell these at some point) as my kids love those. I'd buy the Kingfisher Encyclopedia as well. I'd definitely buy curriculum and books about classical education (Classical Conversations has a great selection) so you can learn all about it. $3,000 can go so fast! I also agree with the idea of buying a laminator, white board, book binder, etc. If you don't have a laptop that would be great (a refurbished mac is ideal). Anyway, I would buy your curricula for next year first and then school supplies and finally I would invest in some awesome living books that will last for years to come! Audiobooks count too!

One more thing: if you are a Christian buy Christian books and the reason I say that is b/c you can find awesome secular books very easily, but books like those found at Vision Forum and other Christian vendors are much harder to find at used book stores and libraries. Vision Forum's history and science DVDs are so incredible!

Considering the age of your children I would buy some math manipulative kits, science kits and materials and books...lots of science books/unit studies etc, good children's literature for read alouds, board games, storage units (shelves, drawers etc), art supplies, Montessori supplies, Waldorf inspired curriculum or toys...

I would probably be redundant with supplies since you might not like something. You can always try it again later or use for the other child or even trade with another expat.

Waldorf art supplies from A Little Garden Flower or Paper Scissors Stone.

Queens Language Lessons workbook

First Language Lessons

Explode The Code Online

math U see Primer or Miquon Math

Kumon workbooks

magic School bus books, Dvds and science kit.

Stepping into science kit http://www.hometrainingtools.com/stepping-into-science-kit/p/KT-STEPSCI/

One of the lower levels of sonlight.

Bob Books

Office supplies, art supplies, and science equipment/supplies all sound good. The Kindle sounds like a great, cheap way to get some books. I wouldn't pay money for any encyclopedia, with Wikipedia being free (including kid-safe versions) and the web featuring so much other free content. Netbook or small laptop is a good way to usefully spend the money. Rosetta Stone and other software is another great idea IMHO.

Well what do your kids like? Obviously you'll slant that way. More lux things that people really like but don't always get to get because of budget?

Playmobil--awesome, awesome, comes in lots of historical themes. I just picked up an egyptian pyramid for instance. They can play while you read them history, and it's awesome for verbal development and social skills (acting out stories, talking, etc.). The Playmobil website has stuff not in stores.

Melissa and Doug--basically anything M&D, but especially their pizza kit, birthday kit, and cutting foods. Love, love, love these. The RR catalog will have them.

Lauri puzzles--Basically anything and everything Lauri. With 3K, I'd buy it all, lol. Seriously, your kids will LOVE it. And if they don't, get their eyes checked. (My dd wouldn't do any puzzles, turns out her eyes were the problem.) Lauri puzzles are so marvelous. My ds loves, loves, loves them.

Unit blocks--amazing, and there are lots of good brands. When they get older, by Kapla, which are planks. For now buy unit blocks. Honestly, that could eat up $1K of your budget. You'd never regret them. I wish I had them. :)

A play kitchen. Can't understate the value of this. Scratch that, you have boys. My ds plays with his kitchen, but not enough to justify huge expense. Mine was $20 the day after Thanksgiving. With boys, I would go Snap Circuits. My ds3 likes them now and does them with her sister. It's not something your boys could do together, but the oldest will definitely grow into them. Get the biggest, baddest set.

things from the Home Science Tools catalog--A stereoscope or a Brock magi scope. I like the anatomy puzzles, but your kids are a little young for them. Go through and buy all the Usborne books that come as kits with supplies. They're AWESOME. Anything Usborne is good in fact.

audiobooks and an mp3 player --get a subscription to audible and download great books. My dd listened to them for hours a day at that age while she played. Highly recommend. For instance did you know you E.B. White read and made a recording of Charlotte's Web? It's just marvelous and the kind of stuff you don't want to miss.

ipad. Yeah, you want one, nuff said. Extremely, extremely educational. Your math, workbooks from currclick, everything can go on this. You can do apps, listen to audiobooks, you name it.

Ok, now you said books. How many books can you have, and can you afford to transport them? What *I* would do in your shoes is be frugal. Go to alibris and pick one vendor like BetterWorldBooks and buy everything from them. That way you save shipping. Or have a friend in the States collect and send you stuff. I think SL would be a terrific investment. RR sells a lot of the classics, and sometimes you don't save buying them used. It depends on how out there your tastes are. If you have a trusted friend with good taste, they could go to a library sale or yard sales and really stretch that money. I'm only saying this because you can blow money FAST on books. I have tons and am totally in favor, but there are a lot of *mistakes* you make at that age by not knowing what will interest them. With that iPad, you can do ebooks for all the classics. Read them that way and buy just their favs.

Ok, don't know if anyone said this, but save some of your money for a half-way point like January. There comes a point where you want something NEW and need to inject some energy. Save say $500 of your fund for that. And by all means do classes, mercy. Go crazy with classes. This is the best age to try a ton and see what sticks. Do a sport or two and call it PE. Get a tutor or a Saturday class for languages. Have him learn the language they speak where you are, absolutely.

You can easily spend $3K doing all that. :)

PS. Triple ditto the laminator. And lots of construction paper, a school style paper cutter (you can buy them at the office supply store), long stapler to get the middle of booklets, file folders for lap books, tagboard/oaktag for making stiff things like patterns, etc. Rolling chairs when they get older. K5 style chairs now and an adjustable height table with a heavy duty laminate top. Tempera paints.

I wouldn't pay money for any encyclopedia, with Wikipedia being free (including kid-safe versions) and the web featuring so much other free content.

I don't want to hijack this thread and turn it into the benefits of a home reference library, but Iucounu, there is nothing like cuddling up with a well written reference book. My youngest son was so excited about a used and broken set of "New Book of Knowledge" that the librarian who sold them to us was touched. That was his favorite set, but he used all our different sets for different jobs, as they each have their different strengths and weaknesses.

Teaching a child to love and learn the differences between the different reference books is teaching them to use tools. The more tools we have the better. You can never have too many tools :-) Wikipedia is a great tool, but just like a screwdriver and hammer are used for different things, so are online and hardcopy reference tools.

We get a lot of mileage out of a step 2 flip n' doodle easel desk with stool. *Buy the bulk dry-erase markers, like from SAMs club, because I don't ration the markers. *They get wasted a little, but mostly they get used- A Lot. *I have my own whiteboard on the wall. *You can do any kind of lesson on it, illustrate any point. *Leave it up there if it's something you want to sink in. *My kid answers and copies stuff from my board, doodles, writes, and scribbles on his board, and teaches my toddler stuff from his board. *It was from Christmas two years ago. *It has earned a lot of mileage.*

*Little Golden Books rock! *They look good on the shelves. *They have a variety of stories, good use of language, and great pictures. *Family board games rock! *All your old favorites are more likely to get used. *If you're not against screen time now's a good chance to buy a laptop for pbs kids, Starfall, etc. *I bought a jr. drum set from a music store for ages up to 13 for $300. * Good buy IMO. *I like the supermind/mighty mind magnetic tanagrams. *(use them at the table while you cook, on the fridge. *Just count the pieces when you put it up). *And Operation w/o batteries for the tweezer skills. * *

Can't really help with more schooly suggestions without knowing more your educational tastes and what your kid knows already. *Kumon workbooks, Singapore workbooks, base ten blocks, Sandpaper Letters, (i never bought either of the last two). Handwriting without Tears. * There's a wide range of achievement and educational goals at that age. *What do you want to do? *Religious, not religious? *That's the difference between Abeka brand or DK brand books. *Are you going to be there long? *That's the difference between buying consumables and buying furniture. *Yes, discount school supply company has educational carpets. *(google them. *I drool at the furniture section.)

I saw Quatar on the tv, and, oh my did it look shiny!

(I wish I could buy the whole Michael Clay Thomas set, and that's a gamble if your kid will like it or not). *

Order these free catalogs to browse:

Home Science Tools

Nasco Catalog (google it, there's a variety)

FatBrain Toys

Ymmv: *magic treehouse sets audiobooks, Junie B. Jones audiobooks sets (annoying)! * Fly Guy emergent reader picture books. *Upcoming: the boxcar kids. *Recently Leapfrog Math DvDs. *Upcoming: Weekly Reader mag. subscription. *Awesomeness x-treme Draw Write Now, not for pencil-work *beginners. *Trio blocks have more than earned their keep. *I have one kid who could probably move on to Lego brand by now, but my toddler likes to play with brothers toys and brother doesn't really know about Lego yet. *The Trio comes in sets with pictures of what they're supposed to be, but I tell you he has made tool and toy you can imagine from those blocks. *The snap is satisfying. *The Trio cement mixer block has been lately- part of a blender, part of an airhorn... the Trios have really been every toy he's never had, even though he's got tons of toys.

Thanks for encouraging my imaginary shopping spree tonight. *I had a blast! *I ended up pretending to buy that MCT set, Liberty kids DVD set, You Choose History book set, hands on equations kit, pretend-bought the kids a kindle & mp3 player (good ideas). *I actually didn't have that much stuff on my wish list. *Thanks for letting me pretend.

Is the $3k going to be your budget each year or is this a one-off schooling allowance? Things I'd have on my list if I was in your shoes are:

Maths:

---MUS: Primer, Alpha-Delta, + blocks (basic & complete set & storage box)

---Miquon (set of all 6 workbooks) + set of wooden cuisiniere blocks

---nice set of wooden patternblocks & a couple books of patterns to photocopy on to card & laminate.

---some maths literature books for fun

---MathTacular dvds from Sonlight

Science:

---Sonlight science cores A, B, C, D, E, including science kits A-E, non-consumable science kit, & Discover & Do dvds

---Magic School Bus dvds

---Lego & K'nex blocks & science kits

Literature & Language Arts:

---Sonlight Cores P3/4, P4/5, A, B, C, D, E

---Jim Wiess story cds

---dvds of the Reading Rainbow show, if they are available

---a good selection of easy readers (DK, Hello Reader, All Aboard Reader, I Can Read, etc.) These can be used for free reading. Get books to cover a good variety of topics & in levels from very easy to level 4 (early chapter books)

---CLP readers (primers, grades 1-3)

---Explode the Code workbooks (A-C & 1-6)

---your favorite penmanship workbooks (enough for grades K-4)

Social Studies:

---Story of the World 1-4 + activity guide

---Our Island Story

---This Country of Ours

---Galloping the Globe unit study

---Trail Guide to World Geography

---a good world map

---a good globe

Just for Fun:

---Jump Start cd-roms (preschool - grade 4)

---Reader Rabbit cd-roms (preschool-grade 4)

---some playground "equipment" (large & small balls, jumpropes, bean bags, hulahoops, cones, soccer goals, etc.)

---Schoolhouse Rock dvd

---National Geographic dvds (for kids)

---dvds of favorite holiday shows

---Wee Sing cds

---Classical Kids music cds

---Dangerous Book for Boys book (wonderful ideas for activities :) )

School Supplies:

---penmanship paper

---lap-size whiteboards (lined & unlined)

---a larger whiteboard (at least 2ft x 3ft)

---whiteboard markers (thick & thin)

---crayons

---colored pencils

---a good pencil sharpener

---story writing paper or notebooks

---a calendar set (calendar, numbers, weather info, ect,)

---a preschool table & chairs

---bookshelves (enough to hold all your books :D )

---a set of cubbies or a cabinet (to hold school supplies, science equipment, art supplies, etc.)

---a Costco size set of construction paper

---tempera paint

---paint brushes

---a 2 sided easel

---some bigger paper for painting

---scissors

---gluesticks

---paste

---blank scrap books (for cutting & pasting or using for main lesson books)

---a cd player & head phones

---recorders & a learn to play lesson book

---a keyboard & piano lesson books

Teacher Reference books:

---Latin Centered Curriculum

---Well-Trained Mind

---Core Knowledge books (What your 1st grader needs to know books)-graders K-6

For many of the ideas above I've suggested getting grades K-4 as you don't know how fast your ds will move through the levels. At age 5 my ds#2 completed K-2 in two different math curriculums alone. Overseas shipping can take a long time, so having the next level on hand will make life lots easier. Also, you are just starting out, so the selection above would fit several different homeschooling philosophies, giving you a bit of freedom to tailor your homeschool to your children, not be locked into one educational model. If you don't have access to a computer, printer, TV / dvd player, etc.; those should be on the list as well.

**just read you are there for 2 years. In that case look at getting books for grades PK-2 (i.e. SL cores PK-C) & getting grades 3-4 (SL D&E) if you do another term. If you have enough in your budget for all of the above, go for it :-) especially if you lose what funding you don't spend.

JMHO,

Edited by Deb in NZ

About the second or third year we were homeschooling I had that kind of money to spend from our own budget (fast forward to today and things aren't going so well so I'm very jealous :-). I bought tons of books as I boycott the library b/c I always rack up fines. Anyway, I bought tons of science kits, craft kits, various curricula to try, and a ton of books. Guess what. The science and craft kits are still in their boxes. I've changed my mind a million times about curricula. But the living books on my shelves have been invaluable. At first the kids didn't pay that much attention to them, but now they regularly go down to our "library" and pick out books to read on history and Science and whatever else interests them. I'd buy as many of the Veritas Press living books as I could and Memoria Press read aloud collections. I'd buy the Dr. Seuss Science books (MP also plans to sell these at some point) as my kids love those. I'd buy the Kingfisher Encyclopedia as well. I'd definitely buy curriculum and books about classical education (Classical Conversations has a great selection) so you can learn all about it. $3,000 can go so fast! I also agree with the idea of buying a laminator, white board, book binder, etc. If you don't have a laptop that would be great (a refurbished mac is ideal). Anyway, I would buy your curricula for next year first and then school supplies and finally I would invest in some awesome living books that will last for years to come! Audiobooks count too!

Great point! I do think we will get the most use out of books too. I love the idea of building up our library.

We will be here for 2 years and we can take everything back with us so the books we will have for years to come.

If we do another assignment after this one its possible we will continue to have a homeschoool budget.

I would make sure to get a lot of books, given your situation and age. If you're looking for titles, I have a list of read alouds for kindergarten that I have used.

A good printer and such are important, and a good math curriculum/ manipulatives, good maps (cheap) and some science kits and art program. And I would go with kits, since I find it so much easier to have things put together. I'd subscribe to something like Discovery Learning or another educational video type thing. Maybe some computer things like Dreambox and Headsprout. What sorts of access will you have to other kids?

Edited by Terabith

Given your situation, most of that would go to books if I was in your place. We rely on the library so heavily.

For the rest... paper, printer, whiteboards and so forth as others suggested. I'd get a lot of games - RightStart games, Gamewright card games, Sequence, Mastermind, Set, Quirkle, Math Dice, puzzles and so forth.

Things on my wish list are mostly "math" manipulatives and nature study stuff:

* The complete set of Froebelgaben

* The complete set of simple machines from Montessori 'n' Such

* Montessori's knobbed and knobless cylinders, the pink tower, the brown stair, the counting rods

* A set of geometric solids

* The little lock box from Alison's Montessori

* Right Start's Deluxe Level A

* A huge set of Magnatiles

* A huge set of Magformers

* Every set of Haba blocks that I could lay hands on

* Uncle Goose's Groovie Blocks

* A beautiful set of vintage wooden (not plastic) C-rods

* Unifix cubes

* Some excellent magnifying glasses

* Some excellent binoculars

* A telescope

* A microscope

* Specimen jars and containers

* All of the Sibley posters (framed, of course)

* Every single DK Eyewitness book in print

And if I were buying books for literature, poetry and art study, I'd look for complete vintage sets of:

* Best in Children's Books

* My Book House

* Childcraft

Oh, and I'd also buy every one of MaryAnn Kohl's art project books. Man, thinking of a splurge list is so dangerous!

Edited by kubiac

Well, first of all I'd get one of everything already suggested. :D

Beyond that, I'd probably use part of it to rent a small piano for the duration of my stay, if possible.

I'd get dd some good hiking boots, because we do a lot of trips to the state park.

I'd also get a few high quality art books to have on hand. Maybe some good prints to put up.

I would suggest some kind of cool pet, like a snake or a lizard, but if you have to leave the country in a couple years, that would be problematic.

I think

Very hight quality colour laser Duplex printer

Paper for the printer

Comb binder

Laminator

Guillotine

Kindle DX-will improve your access to books since you don't have a library

A tablet-a good latest one such as the Asus Transformer-again to have easy access to resources and kids seem to find it easy to use sites like starfall on a tablet.

Memberships to things like Brain pop Jr:)

Lets read and find out science-all the books

Usbourne encyclopedias-the internet linked history one

and some of the others on specific subjects like animals/space etc...

DK eyewitness books

Usbourne sticker books

Bulk buy glue, tempera paint, pencils, good quality colouring pencils, paper, kids scissors, sellotape, double sided tape, sticking and gluing stuff and other good qualty arts and crafts stuff.

A low power microscope

Magnifying glass

Telescope-good quality beginners one - not a kids toy type one

General science equipment

Jigsaws

Montessori equipment

Edited by lailasmum

Okay, when I went back and read Hunter's post I realized that you are in Qatar! I'm sorry I didn't gather that from your post, and I skipped most of the thread due to time limits. Please ignore my dumb suggestion of a pool!!

I agree with the others: good office supplies (include a heavy duty stapler) and lots of living books. Any type of math manips and science kits that you may use. Art supplies.

• 1 month later...

I agree with Deb in NZ- her list looks like so much fun! My soon to be five year old loves the 1st Mathtacular dvd and manipulative kit, anything Magic School Bus, Explode the Code beginner books. If you are going to be stuck inside really consider a Wii system. It helps get out a lot of energy with Sports and Fit Plus and lots more. Most importantly- don't stress out over it just have fun! I would!;)