First Full-length Dickens:  

1 member has voted

1. 1. First Full-length Dickens:

• Oliver Twist
    • David Copperfield
    • Pickwick Papers
    • Great Expectations
    • A Tale of Two Cities
    • Bleak House (Talk about throwing 'em in the deep end....*grin*)
    • Other

However, I wouldn't throw it at a 14 yo without considerable support\discussion. It's tough going in places. I'd probably read along with him, or discuss frequently to make sure he is getting it all. I adore this book but if you read the Amazon reviews, the haters are mostly kids or adults who were made to read it in school and did not understand it so found it dull.

However, I wouldn't throw it at a 14 yo without considerable support\discussion. It's tough going in places. I'd probably read along with him, or discuss frequently to make sure he is getting it all. I adore this book but if you read the Amazon reviews, the haters are mostly kids or adults who were made to read it in school and did not understand it so found it dull.

:iagree:

David Copperfield or Oliver Twist per my ds22 who is an English major (and was homeschooled). He says jokingly that David Copperfield might scar him for life, its autobiographical in an emo kind of way. But its more personal than the other selections. He hasn't read Oliver Twist, but thinks since it is about one person, it would be easier to follow.

Great Expectations jumped all over the place, he didn't like it. In high school, he didn't get past the first page of Tale of Two Cities...

HTH

My 13yo son is reading Oliver Twist right now, and he's almost finished. He asked me if he had to read Dickens in high school - he really is not crazy about the book.

My 14yo (15 next month - she is a 9th grader) started Great Expectations today, so no real feedback yet.

My oldest three liked Dickens and read the two books above, plus a Tale of Two Cities.

I think people either really like Dickens, or really don't. :001_smile: All that to say, if your ds liked a Christmas Carol, he will probably like whatever you pick. We did A Christmas Carol together as a read aloud.

I think A Tale of Two Cities is more difficult than Great Expectations, and Great Expectations is more difficult than Oliver Twist.

My 14 yo is reading Great Expectations right now. We were just discussing at dinner how he didn't like it much in the beginning, but now that he is nearing the end he's enjoying it.

I hated A Tale of Two Cities. I think it gets my vote for my least favorite Dickens. I liked A Christmas Carol and Oliver Twist. I haven't read the others, so I didn't try to vote.

Oliver Twist is the simplest read. It's not Dickens' best writing, but it is short, action-packed, and as I said, simplest to read.

David Copperfield is the quintessential wonderful Dickens story. Truly one of my favorites, and absolutely delightful. It's a long one, though.

A Tale of Two Cities is Dickens' finest, imho. It's shorter than many of his others, and the story is powerful. There is not as much comedic value in this one, though.

Don't deal with Bleak House until and unless you have a confirmed Dickens lover who has proven his endurance with Dickens other, more entertaining works.

My thumbnail thoughts for your DS:

- Oliver Twist is short (relative to the others), a rags-to-riches straight up adventure with memorable characters and twists of fate.

- David Copperfield, somehow, I often think of this one as a longer version of Oliver Twist (lol); longer, but also a straight up story with memorable characters and twists of fate.

- Tale of Two Cities was very enjoyable to our DSs (once we got into -- and we were doing it aloud; took them a few chapters to get over the "hump). I would hazard a guess: this one is probably alluded to more than any of the others. Great, memorable characters -- some humorous and some absolutely horrible; chilling view of the French Revolution; fabulous act of self-sacrifice.

- Great Expectations is done in lots of high schools -- either a "love it" or "hate it" one. I was highly aggravated at what seemed to me to be a "helpless" attitude at the end, but it accurately reflects Dickens' own feelings (late in life, failed to achieve his own "great expectations", and was now too late to do so).

- Pickwick Papers -- read recently on this board someone talking about not at all getting it at 20, but really appreciating it many years later as an older adult.

- Bleak House -- all I know about this one is that I really want to see the BBC mini-series starring "Scully" of The X Files, as I hear it's really good. (lol)

How about letting DS watch a film version of each (which would help keep the characters straight while reading!!) and then decide? Just to throw a wrench into your works... (LOL) Enjoy! Whatever you end up going with! Warmest regards, Lori D.

My oldest read Great Expectations at school and began by liking it and ended by hating it. Story WAY too depressing. That was my husband's opinion. He, too, had to read it in high school. He said it was enough to put one off "literature" forever. Middle one read David Copperfield and enjoyed the vivid characters but thought the story very depressing. Youngest and middle one listened to A Tale of Two Cities and enjoyed it. I read it in middle school and liked it. I voted for that.

Nan

My 15yod and I are reading through A Tale of Two Cities now. I definitely would not hand a dc this book and walk away, though. It is so rich in every way and demands a thorough sharing and explaining of details and literary techniques. I also think this book should be a must-read as far as history is concerned.

Bleak House is next for us.

Agreeing with LoriD, as usual. :) I'd watch the movie versions and then (maybe) pick one to read. But I'd probably just pick movie adaptations that were closest to the book to begin with. ;)

FWIW, I read Great Expectations for a college English class and at first I hated it (BORING), but it did get a little better after I got into it--which took WAY too long. I didn't love it, but I didn't find it memorable either, and I wouldn't recommend it for a high school student.

I vote David Copperfield. Lots of great cautionary tales for young men especially about debt, marrying the right person--and how else will he learn to identify the Uriah Heeps of the world? :lol: I'm only sort of kidding. We have a parent at 4H whom I often compare to UH. It took me a while to realize her modesty is false and always has an ulterior motive. She's always your "'umble servant". I'm usually pretty good with evaluating character. Only after she and her daughter stole all my children's sponsorships did I realize. Now every time she volunteers for something I actually picture her maniacally wringing her hands and plotting her next move. It's hard for me not to laugh!

I am always surprised to read that some think DC is depressing. There are parts that are depressing, but overall I find it to be a positive, uplifting book. It certainly does show the darker sides of human nature, but it is interesting to see how the characters (especially DC) cope with them. Because of the roller coaster ride of ups and downs in the characters' lives, I find it resembles reality (at least my own reality). And, it really keeps you wondering what will happen next.

I think Oliver Twist would be another good option if you want something a little shorter and possibly more accessible.

Bleak House is wonderful, but has so many slow spots, I think it's better left until later.

Great Expectations, to me, is an inferior version of DC with some redeeming value.

A Tale of Two Cities is wonderful, but also has some tedious sections.

Pickwick Papers I have not read, so I cannot comment. Maybe this will be the next classic on my nightstand.

I was trying to decide b/t Great Expectations and David Copperfield for my Ds for next year. I think I've made my decision, but I'm not sure I helped you!

ETA: It would be interesting to watch a movie of Great Expectations (just to save time) and compare to David Copperfield, after reading.

Edited by shanvan

Either one of those novels would be great.

Dickens was my childhood favorite. We had 30 volumes of it (translated since I didn't speak English as a child) sitting on the bookshelf at home and I read through all of them in two year time frame when I was about 13/14 years old. I would pick one book for discussion, but I would let him read through the rest for pleasure.

At that age and for a boy, I'd say either David Copperfield or Great Expectations. The plot of Great Expectations is a little easier to understand, I think. Dickens is my all-time favorite author, but many of his books I'd wait until just a little later, so that the complex and sometimes subtle minor themes are understood. Personally, I didn't care for Great Expectations as much as his others, but for some reason kids that age seem to really like it.