Menu

Your favorite 'boxed curriculum' or online program?

I asked a similar questions yesterday, but I didn't get a real response. I am looking into new approaches to our homeschooling for next year. I've never, ever used boxed curriculum or online programs. I am going to need something for an 8th, 6th, and 4th grader next year. My goal is to make our days less chaotic and more thoughtful. I would love to have the children working more independently. I am thinking that b/c I piece everything together that it's requiring too much of my time. I have a two year old now that needs me a LOT. :) Anyway, in thinking about next year, I am hoping that I might completely redirect my approach and change homeschooling (in our home) as we know it. I might even buy the kids laptops for their rooms. I don't know. I'm just exploring all my options right now. It just seems that with the programs I am currently using - swr,mus,bju,writeshop,apologia,biblioplan- I'm thinking that a boxed or online curriculum would just be easier. I realize that I am giving up an awful lot of control here, but I think it's time for a change.

Anyone have any advice on their fav's? I have been looking over Calvert and I am really impressed. Thoughts?

Thanks so much!

Good for you. Change can be invigorating. I hear from many that Calvert is rigorous, but can lead to teacher burnout. I see very positive things about Oak Meadow. If you are looking into independent and you don't mind the virtual school option, K12 and/or Connections Academy are good options. Sonlight, WP, and Living Books Curriculum would not be for you if you were looking for independent.

No experience with boxed curriculum here, but wanted to respond with what I know.

The average 8th grader is ready to start American School's GENERAL high school diploma program. Write "home schooled N/A" when asked about 8th grade graduation.

You can add college prep courses in as electives, but I don't recommend it. Complete the general program over grades 8-10 and just add in what is needed to supplement to prepare for a CC, with non AS resources. With the diploma, the student can start the CC as a freshman, instead of 11th grade and qualifies for financial aid not available to minors without an accredited diploma.

Recently I've heard of a few people finding ways for minors to access federal funds without an accredited diploma, but it's rare. The American School route is the easiest way to have an 11 grade college freshman.

Once you see what AS general program is like, you'll see what the younger students need to do to optimally prepare. Life truly gets easier when you jump on the American School route.

My oldest graduated from AS, followed up with a 2 year CC business degree, and by 24 was married and had built his own house. He was financially independent at 19 and lived across the country on his own.

AS general takes about 3 hours a day for 3 years. Students can work, volunteer or pursue independent studies for the rest of the day.

Tuzor- that is exactly where I am at- something has got to give! :) I just can't keep the same pace with a two yr old. He is honestly the reason I have to change things up a bit. Having a toddler and a teenager is really a balancing act! I'm realizing I am going to have to change. I LOVE the thought of Sonlight, but I know it will be too much for me to do.

Hunter- I am looking at Christian.

Thanks!!

We use BJU Distance Online. Our school day takes 2-4 hours to complete, which gives us lots of time to chase rabbit trails too. I've heard that the upper grades take longer...I have no experience with that, but thought I'd throw that out there.

We've enjoyed using BJU, and plan to continue using it until/unless their needs change.

The average 8th grader is ready to start American School's GENERAL high school diploma program. Write "home schooled N/A" when asked about 8th grade graduation.

You can add college prep courses in as electives, but I don't recommend it. Complete the general program over grades 8-10 and just add in what is needed to supplement to prepare for a CC, with non AS resources. With the diploma, the student can start the CC as a freshman, instead of 11th grade and qualifies for financial aid not available to minors without an accredited diploma.

Recently I've heard of a few people finding ways for minors to access federal funds without an accredited diploma, but it's rare. The American School route is the easiest way to have an 11 grade college freshman.

Once you see what AS general program is like, you'll see what the younger students need to do to optimally prepare. Life truly gets easier when you jump on the American School route.

My oldest graduated from AS, followed up with a 2 year CC business degree, and by 24 was married and had built his own house. He was financially independent at 19 and lived across the country on his own.

AS general takes about 3 hours a day for 3 years. Students can work, volunteer or pursue independent studies for the rest of the day.

I'm confused. I haven't heard that you need an accredited diploma for federal funds.

I'm confused. I haven't heard that you need an accredited diploma for federal funds.

It wasn't a problem for us. Our ds has a regular diploma from home and has received full benefits.

To the OP: We use Heart of Dakota. I like it because it's a nice mix (lit based, but still textbooks when needed) with a nice guide (no planning!) for me. My graduate did very similar 8-12th grade except I had to do all the planning and piecing- yuck. So thankful HOD already has it worked out for me.

Oak Meadow, Memoria Press Grade level packages (7th-8th will be ready for fall 2012. call the office), Laural Springs, Veritas Press (I don't know their religious leanings), Seton (if you are Catholic), Kolbe (I don't know what religion they are), CLE Math and LA/Reading (The math does not have much religiousness to it. The reading is every. single. story. Drove us batty. You will need a separate writing program. It is independent. Has free downloadable placement tests. We have used 100, and 300-500 so far of Math.)

We have used Calvert off and on for grades preK-6th and several Enrichment courses. My advice...don't waste your money. It is dry, dull, and requires more of you than it appears. The way they 'teach' writing is horrendous unless you have a natural writer. The ATS is simply a grading service. There are better options out there. Think of it as a public school in a box.

We have attempted K12 for 4th and 7th. It is very much read and regurgitate. LOTS of worksheets and writing. You will be involved with all the grade. Lots of bits to collect for science...that sort of thing. Just not the flavor I wanted. The International Academy is $$$ as is using it as an Independent.

We have used MP's Kinder and soon to be using 1st grade along with part of 5th (although advanced, it was too easy for my son.). I love it for the younger ones but will likely supplement as they get older because I want to emphasize science and history more as mine get older. The MP guides are great and cheap at $30 per grade. They use Rod and Staff for Math, English and Spelling. The older grades are switching over to in house English and Classical Composition but the 'old' guides with R&S will always be around by calling the office. The staff are awesome. The forum is great. The materials are excellent. Latin is emphasized as you get further in. The plans are flexible enough you can leave out or add anything.

We have done Oak Meadow K/1st (mine were too advanced for either but not ready for 2nd), and parts of 4th-6th. I must say we really enjoyed it. It does require gathering science and craft supplies. Get the Lyra Giants colored pencils and Stockmar block or stick crayons, if your kids still use crayons. Skip the beeswax. We skipped the recorder playing, too. Be sure to read the articles under the Community and Resources tab. Especially the ones explaining the difference between OM and Waldorf. The staff is excellent. We jumped ship only because I have one who works VERY fast and he finished the 5th grade in roughly 3 months but was not ready to move ahead. Talk about motivated! We also did not continue because I did not like some of the book choices further in, but OM will work with you for alternates. You can mix parts from the 7th and 8th grades. All 5th-8th sciences are separate so you can mix them up, if you like. They have an active facebook page and community. Really a great company. The owner and founder is awesome. Can't say enough good about them. OM covers the same material as equivalent schools but without a textbook. The online English is different than the print as it gives more training in the writing process and grammar, I think. I am not sure if they have updated the print materials yet. You will need to ask.

For jumping in mid-stream, I would stick with whatever math you are currently using. Each math program has a slightly has a different sequence. If you feel you must switch, be sure to have the kids take placement tests and start there wherever 'there' is.

Edited by Guest

We use BJU Distance Online. Our school day takes 2-4 hours to complete, which gives us lots of time to chase rabbit trails too. I've heard that the upper grades take longer...I have no experience with that, but thought I'd throw that out there.

We've enjoyed using BJU, and plan to continue using it until/unless their needs change.

Really ?

Are you using the whole BJU online program or just parts ?

Most people I've talked to take at least 4-5 hours/day for the whole program. Even at 1-2nd grade level, more time for upper grades.

My favorite programs are Sonlight or HOD , but if it has to be more independent, then Abeka would work .

You are welcome. I should have added that OM4 is a transition year so try to not be put off by the loosey-goosey feel of the lower grades. I would also advise to only get new editions of the guides as they have changed over the years. OM is also flexible for leaving out projects or subbing in. Like any good currciulum, you can make it fit what you need it to be. Also, I found the Teacher's Guides to be invaluable. They have a Spring sale which I cannot remember the dates but it is coming up soon.

MP uses a great many student guides for their Classical Studies which feel very much like reading comprehension books. Read the chapter, answer the question. But the Lit selections are fabulous.

Gee, I hope that makes sense. it is very late/early here.

Edited by Guest

Have you considered My Fathers World. It requires some libary books but if you get a hold of the list or ask a friend to preview perhaps you could find some of the books on amazon versus going to the library every week. Honestly I am all ears as well.

I'm talking about having an UNDERAGE freshman. Until about a year ago I hadn't heard of a single case of an UNDERAGE student using FEDERAL FUNDS to attend a CC as a FRESHMAN, without an accredited diploma. Someone on the high school board assured me there have been a couple incidents now :-0 I'm going to take her word for it. But as for me...unless I had a personal beef with the AS curriculum--which I do not--I would just rather go with what I know is certain.

I've heard good things about BJU. I have a family friend that did this with their daughter through high school. She did it all on her own and she went on to college and is doing very well. If I had the money to do a program like this I would choose BJU over ABEKA. I've just heard better things. The cost for these programs are pretty steep though.

The other option is an online programs like Connections or K12. The bummer about these are you don't choose the curriculum but your kids are still at home. They provide teacher, computer etc. In our area it's all free.

I'm sure there are other dvd programs.

If I were to homeschool a child in high school I would choose one of these programs so I could make sure they got what they needed and I didn't have to keep track of transcripts and stuff for college.

Maybe you could pick and choose just a couple subjects that are harder for you to focus on and get a DVD program just for that topic to ease your day.

Good luck to you :001_smile:

My experience with K12 (the program itself) has been very good. Even using it with a virtual school, I have the freedom to do the lessons aloud or skip them or adjust them if I want. The lit program, at least at the upper elementary (4, 5, 6) is very good. The kids get some real experience reading good lit and analyzing it - not in depth, but at an appropriate level. I love the history program, science is good - our kit came with everything out of the ordinary we might need. I provide things like plastic cups, food coloring, household chemicals, etc.

We are going through a VA again this year (starting mid-year) and while I have had issues with the school, the problem isn't with K12. Next year we will be using it independently for my older two - considering it for youngest dd.

I would go with a package or two from Memoria; it is all planned out, including math (R&S). That IS what I'm doing for next year, for the older two boys: they will still combine for some things (history and science, some lit.), and stay seperate for math and grammar/spelling/writing.

I hear you with trying to balance it all. My youngest is a constant (although cute :001_smile:) interruption who still doesn't sleep consistently-day or night... the four year old is perking right along and demanding "more school!", while I have to drag the six year old to the table for school each day. He'd rather play Legos and draw. My oldest is beginning to flirt with the "I already know everything, so why do I have to listen to you" attitude, while the second boy is scary smart, but oh-so-hard to focus, focus, focus. Trying to plan a perfect day for all of them AND for me is beyond my pay grade.:lol: So, I am letting someone else do some of the planning for me. Memoria's plans seem rigorous, without being overwhelming, and reasonably priced.

I was going to say Memoria too. They look really good. I haven't used any of their products, but it does look good on the website. I've also heard older kids using Sonlight independently. I think once they're solid readers a lot of programs can be done independently. Ambleside also comes to mind.

As I am looking over the Memoria Press website, I only see up to grade 6 for packages being offered. Is that correct? I will need 8th grade for my oldest. I just want to make sure I'm not missing something. I did look over their online academy, but it doesn't really look like a good fit for my oldest. Just want to make sure I'm not missing something.

Thanks for all the replies!

I'm still fuzzy about what people mean when they ask about "boxed" curriculum. :confused:

Do you like unit studies? literature-based studies? Charlotte Mason? Classical? traditional-just-like-school? Christian or not? That's what I'd want to know before I could recommend anything.

I'm talking about having an UNDERAGE freshman. Until about a year ago I hadn't heard of a single case of an UNDERAGE student using FEDERAL FUNDS to attend a CC as a FRESHMAN, without an accredited diploma. Someone on the high school board assured me there have been a couple incidents now :-0 I'm going to take her word for it. But as for me...unless I had a personal beef with the AS curriculum--which I do not--I would just rather go with what I know is certain.

My ds started college at 17, with federal funds, in May of '10, with no problems.

Someone else can correct my run-on sentence, lol!

We started using Winter Promise this year with our 4/5th and 6/7th graders. I think it is a great program that allows for creativity and uses living books while being super easy to use. I really plan very little. They also have individual study sheets made out for the kids so they are aware what they need to do on their own. There is a fair amount of read aloud but it could be done by the kids, or they could read some of the assignments on their own. Winter Promise has boxed sets for History that encompass a fairly wide range of grades for families wanting to study the same material together. They also offer coordinating language arts programs by grade which use the history material for independent reading and writing assignments. They do offer science as well. It has been a very good program for us this year. Best of luck!

We have friends that use BJU distance exclusively... from grade 1 all the way to their daughter who is a Junior. All of them use the videos... with the exception of their oldest. She does for math when needed, but is extremely self-motivated and mostly teaches herself with some guidance from mom&dad.

This program works very well for their family - they have a very busy lifestyle. Mom regularly goes through their worktexts and prunes so that they aren't doing a lot of busy work. If she notices that they are struggling with a concept she assigns more work.

We are recipients of a lot of their hand-me-downs. We went a different route for math & science, but are using BJU language arts, reading, spelling & bible. I'm impressed with it. We'll be using their materials but without the videos.

I'm still fuzzy about what people mean when they ask about "boxed" curriculum. :confused:

Do you like unit studies? literature-based studies? Charlotte Mason? Classical? traditional-just-like-school? Christian or not? That's what I'd want to know before I could recommend anything.

When I say boxed curriculum, I mean a curriculum that doesn't require any extras. If the curriculum says "Go to the library and gets books out about X" it isn't boxed. While we read and go to the library a lot, I don't want to HAVE to. It doesn't matter whether unit/literature/Charlotte Mason etc - the point is that I don't NEED to add anything in.

Emily

My experience with K12 (the program itself) has been very good. Even using it with a virtual school, I have the freedom to do the lessons aloud or skip them or adjust them if I want. The lit program, at least at the upper elementary (4, 5, 6) is very good. The kids get some real experience reading good lit and analyzing it - not in depth, but at an appropriate level. I love the history program, science is good - our kit came with everything out of the ordinary we might need. I provide things like plastic cups, food coloring, household chemicals, etc.

We are going through a VA again this year (starting mid-year) and while I have had issues with the school, the problem isn't with K12. Next year we will be using it independently for my older two - considering it for youngest dd.

I vote for K12 to start where you are. I have a k12 grad, so it is a good program.

My other vote is for Veritas Press, but I dont know how young they start.

As I am looking over the Memoria Press website, I only see up to grade 6 for packages being offered. Is that correct? I will need 8th grade for my oldest. I just want to make sure I'm not missing something. I did look over their online academy, but it doesn't really look like a good fit for my oldest. Just want to make sure I'm not missing something.

Thanks for all the replies!

They will be working on the 7th and 8th grade packages over the summer. You can call them and ask for recommendations, they have fabulous customer service. I am going to use their 1st grade package in the fall and a mix of their curriculum for 8th with my oldest. We have loved every program that we have purchased from MP.

When I say boxed curriculum, I mean a curriculum that doesn't require any extras. If the curriculum says "Go to the library and gets books out about X" it isn't boxed. While we read and go to the library a lot, I don't want to HAVE to. It doesn't matter whether unit/literature/Charlotte Mason etc - the point is that I don't NEED to add anything in.

Emily

This is why I love Calvert. The math even comes with ten pages of thick, perfectly printed manipulatives. Every book you need or use is included and your online access provides everything you need technologically!

I HATE hunting for supplies. So I hear ya on that.

Also as to the comment of Calvert being horrible and dry, we have not found that to be the case. We love the Claasic lit, we love the history selections, my kids beg me to do more CHOW, and there are always enrichment suggestions. It also references BrainPOP and Discoverry Steaming videos which complement the material. Even the Science is enjoyable. In fact, right at this very moment my son is so excited about his Science book that I had to put my iPhone down and experience it with him. Then he ran off to do the activity.

We did find the 2nd grade to be rather dry but only in the absence of hands on activities, and the huge amount of work required. The books were great.

HOD looks good, but I'm not really looking for that for the older son. I am wanting to find something that will take him thru 12th grade. Right now, I am really leaning toward:

Oak Meadow

BJU DL

Calvert

Memoria Press- although I am wanting thru high school- so, I might change my thought on this.

Oak Meadow is really drawing me b/c it looks perfect for the 3rd and 5th graders. I also, love the fact that it takes you to high school. Anyone have any other experiences they want to share about this program? Pros/Cons? I'd love to hear from you!

Thanks!

Based on your description of "Boxed', I would go with BJU or Calvert. I have used both and enjoyed both. Calvert is easier to use because you only have one Teachers book (some are 2 volumes, but you are only working out of one). It is ALL laid out for you, every subject. Just sit down, open to the lesson number and go. And as a previous poster said, everything is included. If you want extra reading you can order a box of recommended books from them. Reference material is online. The one drawback I found was the expense and the reuse price is just a little cheaper then the full price. BJU is open and go to for the most part but it is very teacher intensive. You also have to use several teacher guides so lots of juggling. However, it is an excellent curriculum and your child will get a good education from it. Unlike Calvert, the resale value is high and the secondary curriculum can be reused completely.

Ok, this is good to know b/c I had just about convinced myself to order Oak Meadow. But, I do not want anything teacher intensive. I want them to work as independently as possible. I have used several things with BJU and I do love them; I just HATE going from one manuel to another and trying to organize it all in some logical fashion without forgetting something valuable. Although, I've never bought the entire program and wonder if they have one manuel for the whole program that would help with lesson planning?? Just curious.

So, Oak Meadow would not be open and go? What exactly would it require of me? I'm wanting something that is well laid out, lesson planned, and offers creative, learning. I don't want dull, boring, busy work. I want something that gets the job done but my boys aren't going to scream when they see it b/c it's so predictable. Does that make sense?

If you do decide to do AS for your 8th graders, I've been told the ACE Paces were a good prep. I'm going to assume that Alpha Omega would also be good.

Another option is the Amish workbooks for Math and English and use documentaries or Brain Pop for science and social studies. I wouldn't worry about placing them below level as the Amish workbooks are pretty advanced, especially the English.

I don't know about now, but in the past, Paces were a definite favorite of moms using AS for their high schoolers. There used to be a yahoo group for Paces.

Wow!!! Calvert is very expensive!!! Yikes! Is it that good????

Not necessarily, lol. I see you are trying to simplify. Would it not be better to get something where you can combine them on some subjects? For instance, Sonlight (I use this as an example because it is a curriculum I am very familiar with) you can combine some of your dc into one core, thereby eliminating the need to have separate history. You should also be able to combine them in science, both of which you can do with SL. I am sure there are other programs that do the same thing. You would then only have to get them separate language arts and math. KWIM?

Hunter- I forgot about Paces. I need to check into that further. :)

Pentecostalmom- I've looked at Sonlight over the years. I almost bought it last year. But, to me it seems very mom intensive. I'm not that familiar with it, so I'm guessing I have it wrong. I don't know. I can actually put some of the boys together. But, as my oldest is approaching 8th, he's really in a different place than my others. He's more serious, independent, loves the read alouds,etc. What I have noticed is that we do NOT do well ALL together. The 3rd grader loves to pick- on or at anything for attention. He doesn't do all that well with read alouds. He does better independent.

I don't know...a lot to think about. Now, I'm off to look at sonlight again! lol

SL's writing is incorporated with their LA. I do have something to say abour PACES. I used these for a short time with my older ds when dh was deployed and I was alone with a newborn in a foreign country. They work fantastically for independent study. They are self-paced and can be self-checking if you think your kid can handle that. Also, it is less of a financial commitment. You can but just a few of them and try it.

Back to SL, even if you get the LA, the kids cannot be combined in that, though I am certain you already know that.

I use SL for history/lit/geography/Bible and I do have to combine the other things and make a single sheet for lesson plans. I use the SL 5-day, then I have a separate planner that I write everything else in. I do get things that have lesson plans already written out or easy. I completely understand wanting ALL lesson plans already laid out in one book. I have yet to find anything I like that does all of that. Leaning toward combining Memoria Press and SL for fall, but I would still have to do different math and phonics, so I am still putting my own things together.

I really need to pray and discuss with dh. Though I do all of the curriculum research, he helps me "think out loud" and figure it all out.

Ok, so I've narrowed it down a little. I am holding off the Calvert b/c we are entering 8th grade and it doesn't make much sense to go that route if they aren't going to offer classes beyond 8th. For my oldest, I'm leaning toward BJU DL. They are much more affordable than anything else that i"ve seen. I really like Oak Meadow, but their high school courses are VERY expensive. 875.00 per class?! Not sure about that....but, very impressed with them in general.

So, the boxed curriculum might be a good fit for the little fellas this year. I am seriously interested in:

Oak Meadow

Memoria Press

So, can anyone help me make a decision between these two??

Again, looking for something fairly independent. I understand that it won't be completely. I want something that I will be happy with most everything in that BOX. :) I am giving up a lot of my control here..lol. I do not want to have to piece together anything. So, it would be most important for me to see that they had strong- reading, writing, grammar and math programs. I will still continue to incorporate MUS with whatever math program I use in either of these programs. (just b/c I have made the investment!)

Thanks for your help! I've learned sooo much about some very interesting programs out there! :)

I've found that I did best with boxed curriculum that was a bit easy, and then supplemented if and only if I had time, and with something easy and readily available. I failed miserably with challenging BOXED curriculum.

My GENERAL recommendation for a family wanting boxed curriculum, is to start the day out with extended family worship time that includes music, geography/missions if applicable, current events and whatever else helps APPLY the chosen religion to daily life.

Then to use a boxed curriculum based on PUBLIC SCHOOL standards NOT private school standards. COMPRESS and do the EASY boxed curriculum EARLY.

Then enrich, spend time as a family, and teach children to WORK in or outside the home.

Challenging boxed curriculum are usually VERY frustrating for most families and end out being more work that piecing things together.

Having listened to your PRIORITIES, my suggestion for you is to use Paces for the youngers and AS for the older. Then teach them to work, worship and pursue individual interests that don't always need to be tested and held accountable.

I'd SUPPLEMENT with classical, not look for it in a BOX.

Edited by Hunter

HOD looks good, but I'm not really looking for that for the older son. I am wanting to find something that will take him thru 12th grade.

Actually, HOD has plans to put out a new guide ever year until they have completed 12 grades. If you look at their scope and sequence chart, you can see where they're headed for high school.