Menu

What are your favorite homemade gifts to receive?

What are your favorite homemade gifts to received, if possible not Christmas gifts. So Mother's Day, Birthday, Hostess Gift, Just for being a Friend, etc.

Food! Or a handwritten note about why you value the relationship.

Other things I can think of include jewelry, personalized items, knickknacks, or sewn/knitted items. But those can be almost too personal unless you know the specific tastes of the recipient.

My mom made our kids each a new pair of fleece socks. They've outgrown the ones she made before. These are so wonderful for wearing like slippers or in your boots! I asked for a pair for myself.

I like getting homemade wash cloths for the kitchen.

And I made myself a fleece hat. :D

My dss knitted me a hat for Christmas.

That is my favorite gift EVER. Because my 14 year old stepson spent several hours knitting me a hat. It nearly made me cry. He's such a sweet boy. And I'm the only one he MADE something for. What a sweetie. :001_wub: Plus, it's a totally cute hat. :D It would have been a fine gift for my birthday too.

I think the best gifts are ones that show you put a LOT of thought into just the right gift for the recipient. At least to me. It could be an expensive bottle of my favorite perfume or a batch of my favorite cookies; I'd love them both the same, because the giver really thought about what I'd like. In fact, generally speaking, I'd like the cookies more, because I appreciate a gift where someone spent their time doing or making something for me.

My dh is a wonderful man. He'd rather go spend a nice sum of money getting me an expensive gift than spend his time making me something. Which just illustrates the differences between him and me, I suppose. Of course, I guess to be fair, he DOES spend his time at work MAKING the money he uses to buy me the gift, so it IS a gift of his time as WELL as money. Hmmm...

Also, any gift that means I don't have to do some menial task that I'm usually responsible for is GREATLY appreciated. For example, a gift certificate for maid service, or it could be one of my kids surprising me by doing the dishes/cleaning the bathroom/folding laundry etc. while I was out running errands.

Just some thoughts. :001_smile:

Yes, something edible like flavored nuts, candies or even a homemade dip or salsa along with the go-along. Some favorites that I've received in the last few years: homemade peach salsa in a gift bag with a small bag of good corn chips, homemade spicy mustard dip that was to go with pretzels, flavored almonds in a jar with a ribbon around the neck of the jar.

• 4 weeks later...

My best friend comes over early on my birthday(she has a key), she makes me eggs benedict with homemade hollandaise sauce, coffee etc. She brings over a girly movie and I have breakfast in bed and we watch a movie together. DH knows his place and gets himself out of the way! She has been my best friend from the age of 4. That is my favorite homemade gift, food and time.

We like to give coupons for nice things we do for each other. The kids give me coupons good for a manicure, pedicure, make dinner, do laundry, etc. I'll be giving them coupons in their valentine cards tomorrow--1 hr. extra sleep, choose favorite meal for dinner, skip chores for the day,etc.

My mom made me placemats (sewn). We picked out fabric together that would go with my plates. They are reversible, so it's actually like having two sets. I LOVE them! They match my taste so perfectly and there are actually ENOUGH for my large family, plus extras. She even made a runner to match... I put candles along it (it's long and narrow) and it looks lovely. I think of her every time I use them.

The other favorite (it's a tie!) is from my dd. She knit me a soap holder (don't know the official name) from cotton yarn. It's like a little drawstring bag that you can put a bar of soap in and it becomes like a washcloth, all full of suds, when you wet it. I love the way it feels on my skin and I love that I can have a special, Mom-only bar of soap in there. It has a long cord that loops over a hook on the shower wall for drying. I LOVE it.

Handmade gifts rock!!!