Menu

Dance Mom's

Any one else watch this show? I don't know why I'm watching again this season.

OMG I could not imagine my child having a dance teacher like that. That woman is so rude and nasty. Seriously are there dance teachers out there that truly act that way? (the mom's don't act the best either)

My huband came in the room and watched a little of the show and then told me he's changed his mind, I'm not allowed to sign my daughter up for dance class. ( she's 2 1/2 and was thinking of putting her in dance when she was three.. just for fun)

Well, lol, you can assure your husband that there are many dance options out there that have *NO* resemblance to what one sees on that show. :)

I'm a little embarrassed to admit, but I watched most of the first season. *cringe* I actually let my kids watch part of an episode from this season. They're both young dancers who study classical ballet and modern at a school associated with a regional ballet company. They sat there with their mouths open and their eyes wide. They couldn't *believe* that a dance teacher would ever say those things to students, or that parents could ever behave like that. ... As an adult, I'm quite sure there *are* studios like the one on the show (and worse) and parents like those displayed, but to my kids, it's a total alien world. ;)

So yes, if your daughter wants to dance, be really careful about where you put her and the instructors and environment there... But you can find good instruction with teachers who care about guiding the students with good manners and example. She can learn grace and poise, be encouraged in perseverance and physical strength and flexibility... All sorts of valuable lessons can be learned from dance (and my particular bias is toward a classical dance approach, especially with young once). It doesn't have to have any more resemblance to what goes on on Dance Moms than normal families resemble those represented on Wife Swap type shows.

I think that Abby REALLY hams it up for the camera. I think that she tries her hardest to be over the top and in your face. It keeps people watching.

(Can I also admit that I keep wondering how she got so big if she was a dancer? I always picture dancers as lithe and limber and.....well, smaller. I'm not trying to be ugly. I am still overweight, even after an 80 pound weight loss. It's just that I know that people wouldn't come to ME for dance lessons, kwim?) .....slinking away.

:iagree: I grew up dancing, made dancing my career, and have taught in a lot of studios. My daughters have also attended dance class, in various studios. The show is in No way indicative of ANY studio/dance teacher I've EVER worked with. No way would we ever speak to the kids that way, no matter the level of competition or reasoning. Same goes for the moms. The show is totally bogus and totally BOt what a typical dance studio experience truly is. I do wonder at the moms who willingly expose their daughters to that kind of abuse...even if they KNOW it's for a show, I don't doubt that the little girls are being hurt emotionally.:glare:

Normal dance schools and classes are NOTHING like this show. NOTHING.

Do NOT let this show influence your decision about your daughter dancing.

To find a good dance school, ask around. Ask to try out a class. Ask to observe a class. For the vast majority of students, dance is about exercise and fun and friendships, about challenging yourself to do your personal best (regardless of what someone else might be doing), about the music, personal expression, and a connection to the history of dance.

It's NOT about winning anything. It's not about competition (even if you compete). It's just FUN!

--Pauline,

Dance mom and dance student

I've seen the show and I'm not a fan. My little 5 year old is going to her first competition next month and I hate that this is what people with think of dance competitions. I did plenty of research before letting her sign up. The teachers at my dd's studio have high standards, but they are nice and try to make it fun. They're way more patient with some of the constantly complaining parents than I could be. My dd loves dance and her dance teachers. I would run from any studio that treated my child the way those poor children are treated! As a paying customer, I also wouldn't allow a teacher or studio owner to treat me that way. Dance moms who've seen filming say that most of it is staged for drama. Dance moms and teachers are pushing back against the show and many competitions now ban them from filming. Please have your husband read my post and let him know that many dance studios are not at all like that and your dd will probably really enjoy herself.

Check out the studios before you sign up. I have to say that there is one competition studio in my area that is, while not as verbally offensive as Abby, at least as picky as far as "we're going to practice from 4:30-9:30 every day this week" for their nationally competitive girls. One of my friends switched her daughter from there after her daughter was selected for the competition team, because even though her daughter LOVED it and thrived on it, it was driving the mom insane. The same studio also goes far more into hair falls, elaborate makeup, and elaborate costumes than anywhere else.

Most of the other studios in the area compete only recreationally if they compete at all, and are more focused on dancing for fun-and many do not allow girls to even start competing until they're older than some of the kids on the show. The one my daughter goes to is a fairly strong tap/jazz/music theater studio, and has a lot of kids who do regional performances and who go on to dance programs in college, and while they have a competitive team, the girls don't even start competing until they're at least 10 or so-and many of the best dancers never choose to compete because they ARE already involved in theater and other performing events and don't take the time to do so.

And maybe it's because I've spent so much time watching my daughter's gymnastics coaches work on tumbling, but something about the acro Abby's girls do just doesn't seem right to me-especially not on a bare wood stage. A lot of the girls seem to be doing it more on gut and strength as opposed to actual technique, and that's a little scary!

Edited by dmmetler

:iagree: I grew up dancing, made dancing my career, and have taught in a lot of studios. My daughters have also attended dance class, in various studios. The show is in No way indicative of ANY studio/dance teacher I've EVER worked with. No way would we ever speak to the kids that way, no matter the level of competition or reasoning. Same goes for the moms. The show is totally bogus and totally BOt what a typical dance studio experience truly is. I do wonder at the moms who willingly expose their daughters to that kind of abuse...even if they KNOW it's for a show, I don't doubt that the little girls are being hurt emotionally.:glare:

My daughter did dance for a few years. I agree. This show is not representative of dance studios. This is a very competitive level of the very top dancers, and it is staged a great deal for production.

...This is a very competitive level of the very top dancers...

*within*a*certain*sphere*...

One does NOT need to do "competitive dance" to get top training or pursue a career in classical dance or on Broadway. The dance competitions on the show are to professional dance what children's beauty pageants are to professional modeling.

One does NOT need to do "competitive dance" to get top training or pursue a career in classical dance or on Broadway. The dance competitions on the show are to professional dance what children's beauty pageants are to professional modeling.

:iagree: My daughter is taught dance by top notch instructors who've been around the world as teachers and as learners. But the studio is performance based instead of competition based (they do theatrical dance performances, many kids are also involved in theater). There are certainly kids that come out of that program that go on to dance in college (and beyond). But also accommodates very warmly dancers with differences. My 7 year old has a precious downs teenager in her ballet and tap class who is so excited to be there. It's taken her years and years to get to level 2, but everyone keeps encouraging her and loving upon her. There are diverse body types and ethnic diversity in the studio too.

One particular young dancer at our studio is almost a local celebrity and does do competitions. She's gone to a national level. Her mother has gone out of her way to nurture her talents without exposing her to a hateful and/or stressful environment. This is a child who I feel is going to be able to write her own ticket in dance someday. She is amazing (I think she's 13).

I haven't seen this show, but sounds nothing like our reality.

It's true. I'm not saying such competitions can't be fun for some students, but in the dance world, this is the one taken seriously:

http://www.yagp.org/eng/index.php

The children on Dance Moms might be fodder for the Disney puppy/child actor mill, and thousands of families don't care whether this is healthy or not. The opportunity to be humiliated and exploited on a reality show might be considered 'breaking into show biz.' I consider it child abuse, but in a world where someone like Kim Kardashian becomes famous...well, who cares about real/appropriate dance training.

Edited by LibraryLover

It's true. I'm not saying such competitions can't be fun for some students, but in the dance world, this is the one taken seriously:

http://www.yagp.org/eng/index.php

:iagree: My dd is a professional ballerina, and "dance competitions" are mocked in the world of serious dance. YAGP is the ONLY competition that's even taken remotely seriously. In fact, participation in the type of competition portrayed in that show and then putting it on your resume....will get your resume thrown in the trash. If your dd wants to be a serious dancer with a real company...avoid those things like the plague. And go to a studio that is affiliated with a professional company or where the instructors have all had professional careers with a reputable company.

My oldest has been competing in dance for 13 years. She does it mainly for fun without worrying about winning but she has taken overalls at Nationals, mostly in tap. That show is completely unrealistic in just about every single aspect. Most studios do not do new routines every week for a different competition - they do the same routines for the season. How many parents do you know who would be flying around the country every weekend? or could afford to? That's aside from the behavior of the parents and the studio director.

I agree that most competition studios would not be taken seriously by a professional ballet company but dd has danced with students who have gone on to study in college and work as professional dancers. One is currently a Rockette, one is in a professional tap company and a few do theatre, including on Broadway.

My huband came in the room and watched a little of the show and then told me he's changed his mind, I'm not allowed to sign my daughter up for dance class. ( she's 2 1/2 and was thinking of putting her in dance when she was three.. just for fun)

Just curious- why did your husband make a decision about your child's future based on a "reality" TV show? I hope he wasn't basing his decision solely on that. It would make me wonder if he believes everything he sees on TV.

And I did watch the show last season. It was like watching a train wreck- once I started I kept watching. I'm not going to watch this season though. I started feeling sick for the poor girls.

:iagree: My dd is a professional ballerina, and "dance competitions" are mocked in the world of serious dance. YAGP is the ONLY competition that's even taken remotely seriously. In fact, participation in the type of competition portrayed in that show and then putting it on your resume....will get your resume thrown in the trash. If your dd wants to be a serious dancer with a real company...avoid those things like the plague. And go to a studio that is affiliated with a professional company or where the instructors have all had professional careers with a reputable company.

Going to a few competitions is not a career killer. If you have a solid technical background, you can get hired. I have friends from high school who did 1-2 a year and they have toured the world with musicals. I would not make that the highlight of a resume, but a few competitions are fine if you have solid training.

I take my kids to two a year. It pushes them. They also perform in musicals and take multiple technique classes and tumbling at a qualified gym. They will leave my studio with well rounded, solid training and a few fun comps under their belt. They will be ready for high pressure auditions.

Just curious- why did your husband make a decision about your child's future based on a "reality" TV show? I hope he wasn't basing his decision solely on that. It would make me wonder if he believes everything he sees on TV.

my daughter is only 2. he wasn't basing a decission on her future based on the show. I think he was probably just joking around or it at least made him at least a little hesitant. He was just very flabergasted at what the girls were witnessing and having to put up with being treated that way. I think he couldn't imaging someone talking to his baby girl that way... let me rephrase that... he would NOT allow anyone to talk to his baby girl that way.

But also accommodates very warmly dancers with differences. My 7 year old has a precious downs teenager in her ballet and tap class who is so excited to be there. It's taken her years and years to get to level 2, but everyone keeps encouraging her and loving upon her. There are diverse body types and ethnic diversity in the studio too.

That sounds amazing.

A friend of my brother's was looking at signing his 6yo dd up for dance -- he went to the nearby school for a visit, and they ... were very warm and welcoming over the phone, then when he got there and they saw that he and his dd were black, suddenly became much colder and emphasized how important uniformity in physical appearance etc. were. I wish there'd been a school like that near them.

I have to admit I watch this show as well although I can't believe the adults' behavior on the show.

I'm curious if someone with dance experience could comment on a few things since I have no dance experience. Are they really expected to learn those routines in just a week? Is that typical - why wouldn't they give them more time or reuse a routine from competition to competition?

The show indicates the team won a national championship. Are these dancers really that exceptional? To my uneducated eye, Chloe and Maddie do seem like very talented dancers for their age but I have no reference points. Some of the dance routines though don't seem all that amazing.

That sounds amazing.

A friend of my brother's was looking at signing his 6yo dd up for dance -- he went to the nearby school for a visit, and they ... were very warm and welcoming over the phone, then when he got there and they saw that he and his dd were black, suddenly became much colder and emphasized how important uniformity in physical appearance etc. were. I wish there'd been a school like that near them.

That's terrible! Our dance studio has a receptionist who is always friendly and helpful to everyone who comes in. I was telling my dh just the other day that I would want her to be the first person my customers met if I owned a business. We have students who come in all sizes and races and the teachers bring out the best in each student.

I don't know if serious dancers really mock dance competitions or not, but I decided to let my dd do it as something fun. She's only 5, so I don't know if she'll ever want to be a professional dancer, but she loved being able to dance in front of an audience with a stage, costume, makeup, and lights. She immediately asked when she could dance on stage again. Our studio only has one performance a year for non-competition students and competition students get extra practices (free classes!) and more individual instruction in their comp. classes. She'll go to 3 performances and she only has one dance, but I think she'll thrive in a team and performing environment.

That sounds amazing.

It's been fascinating to observe Abby's relationship with Holly, the only African-American dance mom on the show. The dynamic is quite contentious, but it's difficult to say whether that's due to racial issues, Abby's discomfort with a better-educated, affluent, professional woman (who doesn't need Abby Lee to make her child's dreams come true), or something else.

Typically, you don't take a different routine to each competition. You learn a few routines, go to a competition, look at the critiques, clean up the dances and go to the next competition. They have set the challenge for these kids to learn a new dance each week for entertainment. Who wants to watch the same dances for a whole season?

The girls are very talented for their age, they do dance for 4+ hours a day, every day. I would have young dancers at their level of I made them come in that much. I dont see the need for 8 year olds to dance 20+ hours a week. They are still babies really, they don't know that this is what they want for their life, but they have no other options. Dancers don't peak at 14-16 like gymnastics do. You can have a successful dance career into your 30s maybe even 40s if you take care of your body. Dancing that intense at that age can lead to life long injuries (as Brooke is experiencing). The pressure to keep dancing compounds the problem.

I don't ask kids to make that commitment until they are older. At 12 they can start pointe, they must commit to multiple days at that time. If they decide they want to compete and do theatre, that adds days. We don't ask for preprofessional commitment until high school. At that point, they are dancing daily. We have had kids decide that it was not the life they wanted after giving us two or three years of commitment, that is fine, but tuwy were old enough to decide.....okay rant over.....I really hate dance moms...it has greatly affected my business, not always in positive ways. (It has however helped focus a few of my talented but flighty dancers ;)

Yeah, our daughter's dance studio is a lot more "family" and encouraging toward every child's best potential. I overhear moms complimenting other children (not their own) all the time when the child accomplishes something new (like a difficult step they've been working on or standing up out of a backbend for the first time or something).

I'm sure there is a healthy level of competitiveness as the kids get older, but for the most part everyone wants everyone to do their personal best.

I was also amazed at how the mom's acted.

I couldn't imagine behaving as they do. Plus I couldn't imagine letting my child be treated that way or allowing myself to be talked to the way Abbey talks to them.

The whole situation seems messed up... but yet I still watch... LOL!!

The show indicates the team won a national championship. Are these dancers really that exceptional? To my uneducated eye, Chloe and Maddie do seem like very talented dancers for their age but I have no reference points. Some of the dance routines though don't seem all that amazing.

First, I agree with Chepyl about the new routines every week - not typical, they do it for the show. And they work a LOT of hours to do it. My dd has been working on her routines since September and will do them at 3 regional competitions, a studio recital and Nationals.

We've done some of the same competitions shown on the show, including Nationals. Usually the top groups are exceptional but there are 100's of Nationals going on around the country every year. They won one competition at one location. So, yes they are very good but not necessarily at an exceptional, unique level. It's also only showing the opinion of those judges on that day. There are definitely times where you can tell the judges really like tap, or really like hip hop or dislike lyrical. I also wonder if the judges are influenced by the fact that they are filming a show there.

For reference, my oldest won Top Trio, Top Small Group and 3rd Place Senior Soloist at Nationals last year. She's a very good tap dancer but she also has an outstanding teacher who comes up with great, unique choreography that offers a lot of entertainment.

Going to a few competitions is not a career killer. If you have a solid technical background, you can get hired. I have friends from high school who did 1-2 a year and they have toured the world with musicals. I would not make that the highlight of a resume, but a few competitions are fine if you have solid training.

I take my kids to two a year. It pushes them. They also perform in musicals and take multiple technique classes and tumbling at a qualified gym. They will leave my studio with well rounded, solid training and a few fun comps under their belt. They will be ready for high pressure auditions.

I was speaking specifically of professional ballet companies like New York City Ballet, San Francisco Ballet, Pacific Northwest Ballet, etc. Not musical theater. That's a completely different animal. If your dd wants to be a professional ballerina, that type of studio is not going to make her one.