Menu

Tips for living with asthma

We are having a tough time controlling DS's asthma right now. I am looking for more tips on things we can do in the house to minimize his issues.

We have minimal carpet (stairs only) and have weekly housecleaners. We use a special furnace/air filter and change it regularly. We run the house fan continually so it's always filtering. We've removed most stuffed animals from kiddo's room.

But we *do* have dogs, and those are one of his (many) allergens. We bathe the dogs every 2 weeks, and keep them clean. One is a shedder, the other is a poodle mix. We hate to have to re-evaluate them... we are trying everything else first...

Any more ideas?

One thing with the dogs...by bathing them so often, you are probably making the dander problem worse. It dries out their skin.

Is he on any allergy meds? If we don't keep dd on her allergy meds year round, she has more breathing issues.

Allergen free pillowcases/bed covers along with frequent washing.

Allergen filters on your air conditioning/heating system, and perhaps a ionic type filter for his bedroom.

Dairy can make it worse in some people.

Asthma stinks. We hate dealing with it too.

Are you keeping him super hydrated? We have our kids carry water bottles around. Their asthma makes them cough, our rule of thumb is to have a drink of water whenever you cough.

This time of year is worse for dd, she has a daily inhaler, flovent. We do that every morning. At the first sign of a cold we add an evening inhale.

We use thieves oil. Some people are not so hot on it, but it really seems to be helping.

Do you have indoor plants? I keep a big eye out for mold, but we have dwarf banana trees and are getting peace lily's They are on the landing outside of the kids rooms.

We have tall stair gates that open on both kids doors so the animals stay our of their rooms.

We have gone scent free with our laundry (both detergent and dryer sheets)

I stopped wearing perfume.

We keep the air in the house moist (fine line, enough moisture to help, but watch our for mold)

Watch out for mold, I use real bleach (with water) and clean around the windows (moisture condenses there) and the bathrooms about once every 3 months (just to be on the safe side)

We have managed to keep a dog and our two cats.

Best of luck.

Is he on singulair? Singulair is the first drug of choice for persistant asthma and should be taken daily regardless of whether asthma is currently present or not. So far it's working wonders with my dd who has asthma, reoccuring pneumonia and sinus infections. She's only had one cold since being on it for the past couple months.

He's on regular asthma meds, with (almost) daily anti-histamines, and we are still needing the rescue inhaler 4 times a week. Ouch. Advair and now we are adding QVar daily. He *was* on Singulair, in fact was part of a blind study on it. It did help his asthma, but he had terrible side effects, just horrific. Once we learned those side effects were a result of Singulair, we pulled him off but the asthma has been a struggle ever since.

I really appreciate all the practical tips, that is exactly what we need. We've done a lot... but adding pillow/mattress casings sounds good, and his doc is recommending an air filter for his room (any tips on that? The one she's suggesting is $1K! She doesn't get a kickback, either.)

How does one use Thieves Oil? I happen to have some in the cabinet, it's a few years old though.

Stair gates on his bedroom door - good idea.

We *just* added indoor plants again - I wonder if that's part of the issue? Hmmm...

Oh, and what humidity level do you shoot for?

Too many questions? I hope not. Thanks for the help!

Keep 'em coming, if you think of more ideas... :)

40% humidity at our house.

We are very careful with our indoor plants and with any food left out (fruit in a fruit bowl, etc.) in re: to mold.

No fragrance in laundry, personal products, and as minimal as possible in cleaning products (ie--no bleach).

Ionic filters are not good for asthma, imo, but HEPA filters are.

We use Nordic Naturals fish oil, vitamin D3 supplements, and B vitamin supplementation. The D3 seems to help as much as the fish oil, imo, which surprises me.

We can't do animals at all. :( Really, it's huge.

By regular asthma meds do you mean pulmicort/ budesonide? He may need a higher does. Is he under the care of a pulmonologist? Has he had allergy tests done?

Advair and now QVar daily inhalers. He's under the care of an allergist. Yes, tons of testing - he has multiple food allergies (life threatening), and many, many environmental allergies (basically, everything except mold, but we are still cautious on that too).

40% humidity at our house.

We can't do animals at all. :( Really, it's huge.

Thanks, I needed a target number. We do a lot of the supplements you listed, as well, but I need to re-order from Nordic Naturals - love their products. We like Thorne Basic Detox, too. :)

May I ask? Did you have to decide to re-home your animals? Or just never had them? If you had to re-home them, how did you hit that point?

Right now the allergist is not leaning toward re-homing as there are so many, many factors in our son's allergy world. But if things don't improve we may have to get to that point, and it sure would break the kiddo's heart. :(

Chiropractic really helped my asthma. I was really skeptical when the chiro told me most of her patients improved as I'd struggled for years to get over the last hurdle (flareups with colds). But it did wonders.

FYI: my allergist always had me use albuteral along with pulmincort. I did better when I used them in conjunction with each other instead of saving the albuterol for "rescue".

Is he doing daily peak flow monitoring? A pulmonologist (or even a really savvy ped) will be able to set him up, so he knows what his values are. Ds had asthma (probably still does, but it doesn't bother him) and using the peak flow really helped us know when and how much albuterol to do. We tracked every day. Also, using a nebulizer works wonders--or at least, using the rescue inhaler with a spacer.

If ds went below a certain number on the peak flow, he would do a neb clear out (3 treatments, one right after another) and then be on treatments for several days until his values came up. Also, any time he was on antibiotics for respiratory issues he'd have to be on them 3 weeks--recommended protocol if you have asthma, but you rarely see a ped do more than 10 days.

Do you have a good vacuum? What do you clean with? Do you vacuum the floors? I hate saying so, but our Meile helped a lot. It got the dander and hair out of the floors and the lack of blow back kept it out of the air.

We have ours under control, except for the summer, when they swim almost every day. It's the chlorine from the pool. So at this point, that's the only time we need the inhalers.

I'd recommend 500 mg (2 capsules) of choline every day. During colds/flus, bump it up to 3 capsules and 3 drops of oregano oil 3 times a day (adjust for weight - my ds is 55 lbs.)

This is in addition to the D3, fish oil, good b-complex, magnesium and removing dairy.

I'd really get rid of the carpet on the stairs and buy a good HEPA air filter for his room (and move it to where he spends most of the day).

Do you use bounce dryer sheets? That was a big one for us to get rid of, you would be amazed by how different your whole house will smell. We use these ones

So, i do three drops of thieves oil a day this time of year. DD likes it in a tablespoon of milk.

we tried on bread, in cranberry juice etc... The stuff is pretty strong. Just make sure not to get it on his lips and wash your hands after (don't rub your eyes)

* Please don't anyone attack my choice to use thieves oil, I know some people are not a fan, I have looked at all the arguments and this works for our family. OP you can do a search on here and on the internet to see the different sides of what people say about it. It works for us*

Her first year she ended up in hospital with RSV, the next year she developed bronchitis and pneumonia. The last 2 winters (we have been using thieves oil) Her asthma has not gotten to the point where I had to take her to the doctor other than our yearly check in and asthma plan. (we have the nebulizer and all our steps we go through as it starts to progress)

Having a plan and everything on hand really helps. It means as soon as a certain thing happens, we respond immediately with X. I meet with the doc every fall, so it is all fresh in my memory.

For humidity, We add moisture, if I start seeing moisture condensing on the windows we step it back.

Look at your house plants, especially at the soil. I don't water my plants to much, they pull the moisture out of the air.

I forgot to say, that I do the bleaching on a day that is not raining when the kids are out with dh for the day. I do it first thing in the morning and then open windows and have fans blowing. Mold can be so small you don't see it, and diluted bleach really kills mold.

A lot to absorb here. Thank you. :)

We do daily peak flow monitoring - well, we do it 3 times daily right now. He keeps dropping into the yellow zone. Something's clearly going on.

I had not considered our vacuum - we have a fairly new (and pricey) Kenmore, that was rated highly. But ... We use it sporadically, as we have the housekeepers weekly who use theirs. I don't know what they use as we stay out of the house while they are stirring things up. They at least use green products, and whatever they are using doesn't cause an immediate flare up. Now I'm going to drive myself batty researching vacuums. :001_smile:

I will go check vitacost for choline now.

Our stairs - we seem to be stuck on that one. The wood is not worth refinishing, and replacing with hardwood is outrageous for our particular house - the cost doesn't make sense in this house, although the cost for breathing might just make it worth it. Priceless, breathing.

I will read up on Thieves oil, thanks! Plus, I will do the diluted bleach cleaning this weekend when DH can take the kids out for the afternoon. I will check the houseplants as well, and - oh, no dryer sheets at all. They always seem to cause eczema flares.

We are fairly limited in our foods: we are nut and seed free; banana and all related fruits free (kiwi, etc); melon free; and now gluten free. He is being retested (RAST) for dairy, citrus, and well, seems like everything. Maybe something diet-related will turn up, though I hate to cut out yet more foods. :tongue_smilie: We will definitely keep cutting back on sugar - the holidays had us on overload.

Any thoughts on ceiling fans? I noticed that the new allergist had ceiling fans on the questionnaire and I've never considered those. Should we not use them?

We have a nebulizer, but only break it out when DS is sick and clearly showing retraction. At the next appt, I think I'll ask more about a specific plans for when to use that, too.

Thanks so much, everyone. Every little bit helps, and I appreciate your help!

We have a nebulizer, but only break it out when DS is sick and clearly showing retraction. At the next appt, I think I'll ask more about a specific plans for when to use that, too.
(OP)

It sounds like he is not staying in the green zone--right? When he drops, does he do a clear out? Does he use his rescue inhaler then?

It's been a while, and of course, you will get it all checked out, but just for example's sake, I seem to remember ds doing a clear out, then being on nebs every 2 hours for 12-24 hours, then every 3 for a day, then every 4--only moving up if he stayed green.

It seemed like a lot of albuterol, but it did keep him clear. It's when we couldn't get him to stay green that we had the major problems.

Hope you get a plan soon. Sounds like there is more to try, too. :001_smile:

So we have a nebulizer version of the flovent and albuteral. Supposedly it is the same thing, but when she is in a stage of active flare up we switch from the inhalers to the nebulizer. Just the morning and evening with both meds in. We use the albuteral inhaler during the day as needed.

The nebulizer seems to work better during the flare ups, I would maybe crack that thing out again. It doesn't hurt to try.

Also, I would request that the cleaning group uses your vacuum. You said it has good review... it also hasn't been sucking up crud in possibly 40 different houses.

We have been able to control this and keep pets. Each kid is different, but you still have some other things to try first.:grouphug: I am going to pray that you find a difference with some of these changes.

Have you looked at the connection between sulfites and asthma? The research is solid.

You may not eat much processed food, given the food restrictions, but to learn more google sulfitesnomore, to find Rick Williams' website. Sulfites are in:

Cornstarch

Corn syrup

processed corn products like maltodextrin and dextrose

many GF starches contain traces of sulfites--NOT LISTED ON THE LABEL--from processing, including tapioca and potato starch (if it says sulfite free it should be ok)

citric acid

processed potatoes as a whitener (ie, commercial or fast food fries, dried mashed, starch)

caramel color

the obvious "metabisulfite" preservatives in tortillas, etc

bottled lemon juice

almost all storebought guacomole, to prevent browning

gelatin

some synthetic food dyes

wine

Dh used to go to the ER a few times a year, despite a regimen of inhalers of various types. Restricting sulfites in his diet has made it so that he only needs inhalers with a particularly nasty resp infection, nasty flu or some such. Every couple years or so, and no ER visits in many many years. He does eat what he wants away from home, so minimizing sulfites in our diet at home is sufficient for him.

My dds don't have asthma, but they get reflux from sulfites so we're all happier without.

In most cases, trace amounts of sulfites will not be listed on the label (there is a minimum level; listing on the label is not required below that level) but will cause symptoms in sensitive people.

Amy

I have asthma. for me, inhalers just do not work as well as the nebulizer. If I start going down with my peak flow, I just drag out the nebulizer, works like a charm.

Maybe you could try using the neb a bit more instead of using the rescue inhaler so much? It's hard to time those inhalers just right so that you get the meds in the right way esp. with children.

My son's asthma has been a LOT better since we put in a GOOD air filter, had our vents cleaned and treated for mold, and he started regularly taking Vitamin D3 suppliments. Honestly, I think the D3 has helped a lot.

I plan on having the vents cleaned at least once a year.

Have you looked at the connection between sulfites and asthma? The research is solid.

You may not eat much processed food, given the food restrictions, but to learn more google sulfitesnomore, to find Rick Williams' website. Sulfites are in:

Cornstarch

Corn syrup

processed corn products like maltodextrin and dextrose

many GF starches contain traces of sulfites--NOT LISTED ON THE LABEL--from processing, including tapioca and potato starch (if it says sulfite free it should be ok)

citric acid

processed potatoes as a whitener (ie, commercial or fast food fries, dried mashed, starch)

caramel color

the obvious "metabisulfite" preservatives in tortillas, etc

bottled lemon juice

almost all storebought guacomole, to prevent browning

gelatin

some synthetic food dyes

wine

Dh used to go to the ER a few times a year, despite a regimen of inhalers of various types. Restricting sulfites in his diet has made it so that he only needs inhalers with a particularly nasty resp infection, nasty flu or some such. Every couple years or so, and no ER visits in many many years. He does eat what he wants away from home, so minimizing sulfites in our diet at home is sufficient for him.

My dds don't have asthma, but they get reflux from sulfites so we're all happier without.

In most cases, trace amounts of sulfites will not be listed on the label (there is a minimum level; listing on the label is not required below that level) but will cause symptoms in sensitive people.

Amy

For those sensitive to sulfites, make sure you get enough molybdenum. I'd also add to this list - dried fruit eg raisins, apricots

http://kirkmanlabs.com/ProductKirkman/130/1/Molybdenum100mcg-Hypoallergenic/

Edited by Sandra in FL

I'm thinking it's the dogs. :(

:iagree:

I have asthma & allergies, and I've never been able to have any animals.

It is unfortunate, but it is the cost of not being sick. :(

Also, when I was growing up my parents did many of the things you mentioned: hardwood floors in my bedroom, cover the bed in plastic, air filter in my room, cut back on dairy and wheat... The only thing that really ever made a difference for me was medication. Unfortunately, my mother was reluctant to medicate me and I was 15 or so before she allowed me to take something daily so that I could breathe!:glare:

My dd 7 is asthmatic. She does not eat dairy except limited cheese, she drinks almond milk, I would strongly suggest rehoming at least the shedding dog. No scented laundry and cleaning products. We have dd's asthma under pretty good control right now, she was just diagnosed last spring, it appeared so fast. It wasn't surprising to me however as I am asthmatic and she's had eczema from infancy. Dry basement is important, paring down stuffed toys. Anything he wants to keep can be placed in a bag in the freezer for 24 hrs, in order to kill dust mites, and then was them to get rid of the residue.

For those sensitive to sulfites, make sure you get enough molybdenum. I'd also add to this list - dried fruit eg raisins, apricots

http://kirkmanlabs.com/ProductKirkman/130/1/Molybdenum100mcg-Hypoallergenic/

We LOVE Kirkman Labs (not to be confused with kirkland the costco store brand)

That is where we get all our supplements (and they are a local company)