Menu

Sick to death of dicing onions

It seems as if everything I cook requires onions to be diced and I'm at the point that if I have to do it one more time I think I'll scream.

Is there any food processor out there that can do this job for me and do it well? I don't want to get one and be disappointed in how well onions and other veggies get chopped and diced.

Thanks...

Ugh. I feel your pain, truly. When you cook everything from scratch, EVERYTHING requires diced onions. And since being pregnant, if I go near a sliced onion my eyes feel like I've had acid tossed into them. I would love to use a food processor or something instead.

My kids and I don't like chunks of onions. So I use my food processor and really bring them to a super fine mince. That way the awesome flavor is there but not the chunks. I have frozen this in a muffin tin to keep on hand too. Or if you like smaller amounts you can use an ice cube tray. I also use the food processor for diced and have done bunches at a time and frozen them.

Cuisinart! If I've planned properly I pull it out and chop everything for the week. If you are a stickler for perfectly square dices, you will not be happy, but with practice pulsing you can quickly achieve consistent chopped pieces of almost any size.

If you have a friend with a food processor, why don't you borrow it and dice up some onions, carrots, celery, and peppers and stash them in your freezer? It'll give you a chance to see if you would really use one.

I have one of these:

https://m.bedbathandbeyond.com/bedbathbeyond/product/detail.do?itemId=13653801

You could chop them all at once and put them in the freezer.

Oooh, that just went on my Amazon wish list!

I used to wear contacts and chopping onions was no problem, but now it's torture. I'm afraid I'll chop my finger tips off one of these days because I can't see through the tears.

Supposedly if you put the onion in the freezer for a bit beforehand, it won't sting your eyes like acid (even if you're pregnant :D). Ds7 wants to be a chef and heard this tip on a cooking show and is very exasperated with me that I don't make use of it.

I've got a big food processor and a little chopper. I like them both although done by hand is hard to beat. Do a bunch at once and freeze them.

:iagree::iagree::iagree:

Freeze Up a bunch of onions, green peppers, jalapenos, and ginger.

Just don't mix up the two peppers. :D We had very spicy chili one evening!

I chop a lot of onions, frequently. Several years ago I bought Kitchenaid Mini Chopper, and it's been so helpful. My dh and children aren't fond of onions unless they are super soft and basically not visible. Because of that I hold the button down a few seconds longer and basically make onion mush. Then I saute that mush with a little olive oil or butter and use as I would regular onions. They cook fast at least. I can get away with bigger pieces if put in a casserole or soup/stew if they cook really soft. Anyway, I don't chop by hand any longer.

When I am truly motivated I cut up a bunch and freeze them. If I am super motivated I get the Costco size box of vidalia onions. Chop them, throw them in the crockpot with some coconut oil and cook on low for 6-8 hours, then freeze the cooked onions. Anytime a recipe calls for sauteed onions I just break out a chunk, throw it in the pan, and carry on with my cooking.