Menu

How many Legomaniac girls are there out there?

http://giftedexchange.blogspot.com/2011/12/are-legos-for-girls.html

This bothered me, because my DD has been lego, lego, and more lego for years-basically, since she got her first Duplo set at age 1, and certainly since she moved to regular legos at about age 3-4. Our entire playroom is lego, and she loves exactly many of the series that the authors of this blog, and the article it's commenting on, think are "boy-heavy". She especially loves interweaving Legos with history-several Atlantis sets came in because she could make Greek temples with them, Pharoah's quest played right into Ancient Egypt, Castles are medieval, and Ninjago has been wonderful for building pagodas and temples. Plus pound upon pound of basic bricks, and lots of minifigs.

The article almost makes me feel like there's something WRONG with my child who looked at the Friends sets and deemed them too easy, without enough to build, and the little dolls as "Stupid-they're the wrong scale!". Her Belville sets get played with only as colored bricks. And, honestly, I never thought of the lego aisle as a "boy toy" section, not like I think of Barbie as girls or hot wheels as boys. The idea that Target plans to shelve Friends with Polly Pocket, instead of other lego sets REALLY bothers me-because that seems to say that I was wrong.

Well, we're just kinda getting started on our Lego journey.

Princess has *always* been the one to play w/Duplo. Tazzie would, now and again, but she's always building w/them.

We just got the Littles a bin of actual Legos (vs Duplo). Tazzie messed around for a few mins, Princess has dragged it out every single day, several times a day to play w/it.

We refused to consider a 'set'. We just went for the bin w/700+ pieces in it, or whatever it is. We did consider the pink bin and blue bin, but they only have 200 pieces! Blech.

I really dislike how they're all broken into sets now.

Not to mention the price of this stuff! Holy cow!

My dd loved legos and then k'nex when she got older. Like your dd, she liked the more difficult sets, because the easier sets where built too quickly. I never thought of it as a girls vs boys legos thing. I did regeret that they didn't make more complicated sets for girls.

My other dd, who is more girly liked the girl sets better.

My lego/k'nex loving dd is going into aeronautical engineering next yr. I think her love for building etc when she was little was a natural bend towards engineering.

My DD likes to play with Lego as much as the boys -they usually all play together. The older 2 just got their first set of real Lego this Christmas -their Duplo was well played with.

My DD would probably play with the new Lego for girls because she likes the colours and is not fussed that it is "easy" but if she were older I think she would be frustrated with how easy those sets are -not really for building at all.

Did you read the linked Bloomburg Business Week piece? The authors of that article are reporting on the change of business plan/marketing strategy of Lego. This is not to disparage girls. The reality is that the restructuring of Lego after their financial difficulties in the '90's created products that were more geared to boys. This has never been true of MindStorms, but it has been true of the traditional sets. There have been very few female mini-figs for example.

I would not be bothered if your daughter is out of the radar of marketing departments. More power to her!

ETA: We subscribe to Bloomburg Business Week. The Lego cover story was a topic of conversation for our family. My college aged son who was raised on Lego think that the Friends set will be a flop.

Edited by Jane in NC
more info

My boys have always been Lego Crazy but my DD has been so-so on them, mostly because she has not been attracted to the themes. Her favorite sets have been the Lego City pizza shop and the Winter Village items that I'm collecting.

:rant:

I was actually in quite a tizzy over it all last night because I happened upon some blog in which the blogger was taking Lego to task for having the nerve to talk down to girls with these new Friends sets. The blog actually linked to a Change.com women's rights petition entitled "Tell Lego to stop selling out girls!" :001_huh::glare: Well, you know what? DD isn't interested in the pirates, ninjas, Star Wars, Sponge Bob, Harry Potter, etc. Yes, she has liked a few Creator sets and I wish there were more of those with more neutral themes. Well, she positively loved the new Friends line when the catalog came earlier this week. Loved it! For the first time, she asked to have Legos on her wish list.

On the change.org petition site, they were crazy over pink...said something about perpetuating the stereotype of girls liking pink. You know what? Many girls like pink. So what?! Pink is not a dumb color. :confused: It's a color. It's my daughter's favorite color. Liking Friends Lego sets and playing with fairies and other "girly" things doesn't mean she can't also rock the Mindstorms and grow up to be a rocket scientist, no more than boys (or girls) who play with the Star Wars sets can't do the same. Actually, she wants to be a veterinarian because of her love of animals and, wow, that is a science field. However did that thought occur to her, what with her love of pink and fairies?! You know what else? She's great at math and was a natural with the Zometool DS8 got for Christmas. Why, it just boggles the mind! ;)

There is nothing morally superior about girls playing with traditional boy themes and there is nothing morally superior about girls playing with traditional girl themes. I intend to buy DD every product in the Friends line, and I sincerely hope my support for the "Legos for girls" line will encourage them to make more complex sets that interest her. When is the last time they made a great hospital? A horse stable? She would love that. They made a farm she liked a lot but it went out of production before I got a chance to get it.

OK, here is the blog and here is the petition, much as I hate to link them. It all irritated me immensely, in case I was unclear. :tongue_smilie: My DD is a "girly-girl" and there's nothing wrong with that. I don't have any judgment for girls who love the sets offered now but please don't anyone judge my DD for liking the pink ones.

Edited by Alte Veste Academy

Kristina, Princess is a complete girly girl.

She'd go nuts for the pink Legos...we just didn't get them b/c it was so much smaller than the other bin.

I don't see anything wrong w/having sets geared towards girls, any more than sets geared towards boys.

Different things appeal to different kids.

That being said, I don't see how just plain old regular Lego is a 'boy toy'. I've always thought of it as gender neutral.

She'd go nuts for the pink Legos...we just didn't get them b/c it was so much smaller than the other bin.

I don't see anything wrong w/having sets geared towards girls, any more than sets geared towards boys.

That being said, I don't see how just plain old regular Lego is a 'boy toy'. I've always thought of it as gender neutral.

Yes, we have bins of Legos (including the pink one) and I see those as gender neutral. Even so, they do attract my boys more than my DD. When DD builds with our "open stock" she tends to make things like birthday cakes and fairy houses. :lol:

I have a Legomaniac daughter--she's never seen a Lego she didn't want, and that includes the Friends sets (I showed her the science lab). We've talked about the boy/girl stereotype before, and her take on it is that Legos aren't boy things, they're just things.

Her 7yo cousin was here over Christmas and refused to play with Legos on the grounds that they're for boys and she doesn't want to be a tomboy. This is utterly confusing since she isn't particularly girly-girl and her favorite things are skeletons and ninjas. I suspect that she just doesn't like Legos and is annoyed that her little 5yo sister is good at them (meanwhile Little Sis is very girly and really kind of like Snow White, and very good indeed at puzzles and Legos).

Dmmetler, there's nothing wrong with your Legomaniac girl, and there is a lot wrong with current marketing practices. Don't let it get you down. :grouphug: And if you're ever in Northern CA, give me a call and we'll get our girls together!

Dmmetler, there's nothing wrong with your Legomaniac girl

:iagree:

My rant goes the other way but I feel the same way as the OP. Stop judging my kid by what she likes or doesn't. Liking pink doesn't make my DD mindless and liking a great mix of current Lego sets doesn't make your DD flawed in any way. Kids like what they like. I say DD is a girly-girl and she is, but she's complex, as all children are in one way or another. Her nickname is Princess Tomboy and my all-time favorite picture of her is one in which she is wearing a white linen dress embroidered with roses, sparkly red shoes, and a pink baseball helmet. She has a big scratch on the bridge of her nose that she got when climbing the cliff behind our house (in said outfit) and is holding a toad. :001_wub:

dd did her medieval village project out of lego. she made her science model of a cell out of lego. she saw a kenworth truck model, and started drooling over the intricacy. she got a small millenium falcon model, only because she'd rather buy a house than fork over $2500+ for the big one. (and it fits better on the shelf ;).) and that was after building her own design with the lego we had on hand.

girls definitely like lego.

I believe there was a woman that loved lego so much, she majored in architecture and used lego for projects. the story goes, she then convinced lego they needed her to come and work for them.

http://giftedexchange.blogspot.com/2011/12/are-legos-for-girls.html

This bothered me, because my DD has been lego, lego, and more lego for years-basically, since she got her first Duplo set at age 1, and certainly since she moved to regular legos at about age 3-4. Our entire playroom is lego, and she loves exactly many of the series that the authors of this blog, and the article it's commenting on, think are "boy-heavy". She especially loves interweaving Legos with history-several Atlantis sets came in because she could make Greek temples with them, Pharoah's quest played right into Ancient Egypt, Castles are medieval, and Ninjago has been wonderful for building pagodas and temples. Plus pound upon pound of basic bricks, and lots of minifigs.

The article almost makes me feel like there's something WRONG with my child who looked at the Friends sets and deemed them too easy, without enough to build, and the little dolls as "Stupid-they're the wrong scale!". Her Belville sets get played with only as colored bricks. And, honestly, I never thought of the lego aisle as a "boy toy" section, not like I think of Barbie as girls or hot wheels as boys. The idea that Target plans to shelve Friends with Polly Pocket, instead of other lego sets REALLY bothers me-because that seems to say that I was wrong.

Why :confused:

My daughter is not a Legomaniac. Her brother is a Legomaniac, so she still plays with them often and enjoys them. She has no interest in the new sets aimed at girls, but she is very much a tom-boy that builds forts in the woods and comes in to style her American Girl and Barbie dolls' hair.

This Bloomberg piece has been discussed to death among FB friends and I just feel like people are going over to top to prove how gender neutral their child is. I'm not sure I get it.

Did you read the linked Bloomburg Business Week piece? The authors of that article are reporting on the change of business plan/marketing strategy of Lego. This is not to disparage girls. The reality is that the restructuring of Lego after their financial difficulties in the '90's created products that were more geared to boys. This has never been true of MindStorms, but it has been true of the traditional sets. There have been very few female mini-figs for example.

I would not be bothered if your daughter is out of the radar of marketing departments. More power to her!

ETA: We subscribe to Bloomburg Business Week. The Lego cover story was a topic of conversation for our family. My college aged son who was raised on Lego think that the Friends set will be a flop.

:iagree: :iagree:

My dd loves Legos, always has. She especially loved the Harry Potter Legos. She has seen the new sets, and she doesn't like the figures. It upsets her that they are not compatible with regular minifigs. I know many girls will like these new sets, but I wish they were not so different from the regular sets. I think the new sets may make some girls feel that all the other sets are for boys only, and I don't like that.

I was actually in quite a tizzy over it all last night because I happened upon some blog in which the blogger was taking Lego to task for having the nerve to talk down to girls with these new Friends sets. The blog actually linked to a Change.com women's rights petition entitled "Tell Lego to stop selling out girls!" :001_huh::glare: Well, you know what? DD isn't interested in the pirates, ninjas, Star Wars, Sponge Bob, Harry Potter, etc. Yes, she has liked a few Creator sets and I wish there were more of those with more neutral themes. Well, she positively loved the new Friends line when the catalog came earlier this week. Loved it! For the first time, she asked to have Legos on her wish list.

On the blog, the lady was crazy over pink...said something about perpetuating the stereotype of girls liking pink. You know what? Many girls like pink. So what?! Pink is not a dumb color. :confused: It's a color. It's my daughter's favorite color. Liking Friends Lego sets and playing with fairies and other "girly" things doesn't mean she can't also rock the Mindstorms and grow up to be a rocket scientist, no more than boys (or girls) who play with the Star Wars sets can't do the same. Actually, she wants to be a veterinarian because of her love of animals and, wow, that is a science field. However did that thought occur to her, what with her love of pink and fairies?! You know what else? She's great at math and was a natural with the Zometool DS8 got for Christmas. Why, it just boggles the mind! ;)

There is nothing morally superior about girls playing with traditional boy themes and there is nothing morally superior about girls playing with traditional girl themes. I intend to buy DD every product in the Friends line, and I sincerely hope my support for the "Legos for girls" line will encourage them to make more complex sets that interest her. When is the last time they made a great hospital? A horse stable? She would love that. They made a farm she liked a lot but it went out of production before I got a chance to get it.

OK, here is the blog, much as I hate to link it. It irritated me immensely, in case I was unclear. :tongue_smilie: My DD is a "girly-girl" and there's nothing wrong with that. I don't have any judgment for girls who love the sets offered now but please don't anyone judge my DD for liking the pink ones.

:iagree: Well said!

My dd9 loves Legos just as much as her brother who just got the Kings Castle set for Christmas. But we have shed many tears in the Lego aisle looking for one single set that even includes a girl minifig because this Christmas season there were exactly none, or at least none you could buy without spending $100 on a giant set. She just wants one girl to represent her as she plays Starwars and Ninjago and everything else. We've had to go on-line to find girl mini-figs for her on ebay. We were all thrilled to read about the new set Lego is launching.

My girly-girl is very excited about the new Lego Friends set. She is selling our wooden doll house set to buy the Lego Friends set instead. I wish Lego had kept up with the Belville series. When I've looked for it, it's either not available or very expensive.

I never bought the Belville series because most of it seemed to come preassembled walls rather than the child needing to build brick by brick. I could be wrong but that's how most of those sets appeared to me. I'm a riddle I guess, because that did bother me. Go figure. :lol: The new Friends sets seem to have a typical brick count, which pleases me.

Edited by Alte Veste Academy

My dd loves Legos, always has. She especially loved the Harry Potter Legos. She has seen the new sets, and she doesn't like the figures. It upsets her that they are not compatible with regular minifigs. I know many girls will like these new sets, but I wish they were not so different from the regular sets. I think the new sets may make some girls feel that all the other sets are for boys only, and I don't like that.

I do wish the figures were minifig size. I might send Lego a letter of support and stick that in at the end. :tongue_smilie:

:iagree: Well said!

My dd9 loves Legos just as much as her brother who just got the Kings Castle set for Christmas. But we have shed many tears in the Lego aisle looking for one single set that even includes a girl minifig because this Christmas season there were exactly none, or at least none you could buy without spending $100 on a giant set. She just wants one girl to represent her as she plays Starwars and Ninjago and everything else. We've had to go on-line to find girl mini-figs for her on ebay. We were all thrilled to read about the new set Lego is launching.

Have you seen the fairy tale minifig set? DD loves these.

I was a HUGE Lego fan growing up. (and I had no brother) -- the sets that launched my interest? A Farm set where you built a farm house/animals/tractor out of blocks (plus a farmer and his wife). A Kitchen set with mom, dad, and kids. And a bathroom set with mom/grandmom and baby. Oh, btw. The figures there were "Homemaker" figures (http://lego.wikia.com/wiki/Homemaker_Figure). Only the baby was a minifig. (And evidently one of the first) You built them up using 2x2 blocks or trapezoidal blocks for women. And their height was closer to the new minidolls (Or even taller actually). After all, the "baby" was the minifig.

I went on to get more sets -- a fire station I remember in particular. And some outer space ones. But eventually lost interest because the themes did not attract me as much as other stuff did. In the 90s, I got involved with ebay and bought older sets like a RV trailer, and bemoaned how the "new stuff" didn't allow for as much creativity as the old stuff did. That it did it all for you, etc. I was briefly interested in some Star Wars/Harry Potter Legos. But nothing else really attracted my interest.

I went out on the first day Lego Friends was out and bought the invention workshop and the design studio (that looks like a drafting table to me. ANd a laptop! And a camera!) I want the treehouse. And the House. and the beauty studio (More hair. And a hair salon. And a minifig named Sarah!)

ALL of my old Legos are boxed up at my parents house waiting for my kids to get old enough to pass them down. But I am finding myself excited about Lego again and wanting to buy it, play with it for myself, and save it for my daughter (or maybe my son if he's interested. But I've got a LOT of other Legos I think he'll be more interested in)

There also have been quite a few girl minifigs in the collectors series (and they're often easy to find because of the big "skirt" brick)-there has been an Egyptian princess and a "Kimono Girl" for example-and we have multiple copies of both. We also use the "build a Mini-fig" and "pick a brick" to make girl minifigs and stock up on girl faces/hair to use with existing sets. Which sometimes means we have little lego skeletons with ponytails around.

My 6 year old dd would buy more Lego if... they came in sets that would be: varying colors of pink blocks (hopefully involving some glitter) which could be formed into #1 Robots #2 Space Ships #3 Planes #4 Cars #5 Buildings and #6 Kittens

Recently while we were at the Lego store, the salesman who was very helpful, nice, and smart about Lego, said that they (Lego) find that girls who like Lego do not typically like pink.

Who told them that!!

We have since put our money into other ways to build cool stuff and Lego receives less of our money than they otherwise would... that is, if they had an original, less machismo way of viewing they world (I happen to believe that although women(girls) and men(boys) are different, they are definitely equal and equally smart.)

I am a long time LEGO fan and the parent of 3 LEGO maniacs - 1 boy and 2 girls. I still have my original set from the early 70's that my kids play with. I don't even want to admit how many sets they kids have but LEGO are by far the most played with toy by all my children than everything else combined, so I think they are worth it. It is also one of the few things they all will play with together and individually.

I bought DD one of the larger Bellville sets about 2 years ago and was so disappointed. It was expensive and there was hardly any actual building and absolutely no "construction techniques" (i.e. very simple assembly). I did find this insulting to girls as it seemed to say that LEGO thought girls were incapable of actually mastering the complex building techniques and assembly that went into putting together their other sets. I even wrote them a letter and told them so.

We were at a LEGO store yesterday and neither of my girls showed much interest in the new Friends sets. I love the colors but after looking at them, I am still wondering if there is much complex building to the new sets. I will say they look much better than Bellville, but still not as much as I would expect from a similar sized set from another theme, but it is hard to tell until you actually build one so I can't say for sure if that impression is correct yet or not. I do think we will probably try the Friends sets here, maybe for DD's birthday in February.

I strongly disagree with the article that says that girls don't like mini-figs though. All my kids love the mini-figs and they regularly ask for the collector series ones sold individually. As another poster said, there are several female mini-figs available in the collector series. I wish the Friends sets had used the same scale and kept mini-figs that were at least similar in size, even if they did feel the need to restyle them.

I just wish I didn't feel like LEGO thought so poorly of girls when I look at their products marketed specifically at girls. It seems like the girls ones automatically take the intelligence expectations down a few notches and that is what I have a problem with. My girls do like other themes, like City, Star Wars, etc. and they like the colors of the girl sets so we will probably buy a mixture of both (when we can afford them!) knowing that they won't get the same level of technique from the girl sets. JMHO!

BTW, DS just got a subscription to the MBA from his grandparents and it is definitely aimed at teaching techniques that LEGO builders can apply to their own creations. We only have the initial set and the first monthly set so far, but I liked what I saw of it.

I wish the Friends sets had used the same scale and kept mini-figs that were at least similar in size, even if they did feel the need to restyle them.

Have you seen the pictures of the minidolls next to minifigs? They are similar in size. Minifigs fit in the Friends convertible car. minifigs can work at the counters in the Minifig cafe. Etc.

Here is a Lego Fan review of Olivia's house, including complicated builds:

http://www.eurobricks.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=64270

Including this picture showing friends and minifigs coexisting, using the same house:

3315 Final Pic

Here's the review of the convertible, including pictures of minifigs coexisting with the minidoll.

http://www.eurobricks.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=64289

Kyoshi Car

Edited by vonfirmath

Why does the different themes have to be geared to any one gender in the first place? My daughters and son all play with the same toys; baby dolls, Barbies, toy trains, Hot Wheels etc.

I'm all for Lego coming up with less adventurous and more domestic themes but then advertise them with both genders playing with them.

Have you seen the pictures of the minidolls next to minifigs? They are similar in size. Minifigs fit in the Friends convertible car. minifigs can work at the counters in the Minifig cafe. Etc.

Including this picture showing friends and minifigs coexisting, using the same house:

3315 Final Pic

Here's the review of the convertible, including pictures of minifigs coexisting with the minidoll.

http://www.eurobricks.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=64289

Kyoshi Car

Great links! Thanks so much! The review for Olivia's house is an OCD dream. :lol:

:lol: Well, I take back what I said about my daughter having no interest. We just looked at that *extensive* review for Olivia's house, and, well, she's very much interested now ;).

:lol: Well, I take back what I said about my daughter having no interest. We just looked at that *extensive* review for Olivia's house, and, well, she's very much interested now ;).

My DD still says the building looks easy, but she likes the look of all the different accessories. Of course, her Lego wishlist is already hundreds of dollars long :).

She does hope that they eventually do something neat, like the ferris wheel or the ninjago dragons with the pretty bricks :).

My DD still says the building looks easy, but she likes the look of all the different accessories.

:iagree:

Thanks for all the links. I had seen the Friends figures IRL, just not right next to a mini-fig and the appearance gives the impression of more of a size difference. I am glad to know they are more similar than I thought.

After looking at the review, I still think the build looks fairly simple but it does have some great specialty pieces. I am sure some of the Friends sets will have a place in our LEGO collection, and like I said, I think it is much better than Bellville.