Menu

Kids Bored After Schoolwork is Done

Bloggermom

My kids seem to finish all their schoolwork for the day really early. We start at 6 AM (they have the most focus at this time) and my 1st grader is done by 8 AM, my 3rd grader is done around 10 AM and my 5th grader is done around 11 AM.

After that they just want to play computer games or watch TV. I cannot get them to go play and use their imaginations, they don't want to read. I don't know what else to do. Should I assign more reading? Should I set up something structured for them after they finish school? I don't want them wasting the rest of their day on mindless activities.

Ban screens, first off. My boys like playing spies using cryptography books to "pass notes", snap circuits, legos, drawing, chemistry "experiments" with kitchen stuff, my oldest loves cooking so he'll often want to make dinner or bake muffins or something like that. Both boys enjoy making lap books on their own: would that be something your kids would like doing? We have tons of books out of the library on a variety of topics, so they can usually find something they'd like to do. Other ideas: scratch programming for older, engineering projects, origami (lots of videos on this online, so much for no screen time! ;)), chess, monopoly, making forts with sheets and dining room chairs, teaching the dog new tricks, making puppets from felt and styrofoam and putting on plays, dancing....oh, and lest I forget, there's always chores! Emptying dishwasher, scrubbing toilet, inventorying freezer, steam cleaning tile, refolding clothes in bedroom......:D

maybe something here will spark something? Good luck!

:bigear:

The afternoons are SOOO long here too.

I need to implement an artist study, composer study, Bible study, art project, drawing lesson or something in the afternoons. Turns out, I'm lazy in the afternoon, too.

One thing we all like to do is play board games. I try to do something educational like State Sequence or Chess in the afternoons.

Our rule is no screen time until after DH gets home in the evening. Then it gets limited by dinner and what DH wants to watch. I don't consider it my job to make sure they are entertained, I just keep the computer and the tv off (except MY laptop :D). They haven't died of boredom yet, and they do manage to find things to do to occupy their time once they figure out I'm not getting involved and the screens are not getting turned on.

My kids seem to finish all their schoolwork for the day really early. We start at 6 AM (they have the most focus at this time) and my 1st grader is done by 8 AM, my 3rd grader is done around 10 AM and my 5th grader is done around 11 AM.

After that they just want to play computer games or watch TV. I cannot get them to go play and use their imaginations, they don't want to read. I don't know what else to do. Should I assign more reading? Should I set up something structured for them after they finish school? I don't want them wasting the rest of their day on mindless activities.

Agree with banning screen time. Make it clear that is only for evenings (or whatever time you set). Boredom is generally a good seasoning for creativity.

What about some kind of a science project they could work on over time? Nature studies? Paper crafts like paper dolls to color?

We have "get outside and play" time. I don't care what they're doing, but they need to stay outside. (It's summer here). By the time winter gets here I'm hoping our school / playroom will be finished and it will be "in the playroom" time.

I've decided it's necessary for my ongoing good mental health for them to be playing somewhere I'm not - if they're not directed somewhere my DS in particular will follow me around talking non-stop and after a while I start getting snappy because I need a chance to think my OWN thoughts.

Can someone convince DH that he doesn't have to spend the day mindlessly watching the tube? I would love to ban screen time at my house but DH just can't understand that turning the TV off is ok. He is napping right now and the joyful quiet (other than the kids playing and him snoring) have made me sooooo happy.

I send them outside with a timer. They have to stay about 30 to 45 minutes minimum. Only very rarely do they want to come in after it goes off, and I happily then let them stay out. By the 30 or 40 minutes, they find themselves having a great time swinging or playing games, and have forgotten the fact they didn't want to go out in the first place.

I limit electronics too, though we do allow them in the afternoons.

Our afternoons were getting long too, and I allow very little screen time so I completely understand what you're going through! After talking to other moms that live near us, I realized it was a universal problem. We got together over the holidays and coordinated schedules as best we could so that several afternoons a week we are getting together with other families. So far it's been great! The kids are thrilled, I have another grown up to talk to a few days a week, and the afternoons fly by. If you know homeschoolers near you, you might be able to try a play date once in awhile. It helps pass the time, and it's fun!

Another thing we do is send our kids to the farm down the road when it's chore time. They like having a purpose, and it's a wonderful, real life, work experience. You could look for volunteer work somewhere (try animal shelters, food banks, local library, etc). They might really enjoy having a "job".

I second the board games idea. The youngers are finally at an age where they "might" have a chance at beating the elder... also you could structure their play simply by reading to them from an adventure type book (works for mine.) After reading from Percy Jackson they went out to battle Ancient Greek gods. If it's not to cold have them build a fort outside, if it to cold then build it inside. I was a whiz at tent building with 3 sheets, a handful of rubber bands, and some hair (claw style) clippies. My DC who have lots of electronics will spend hours playing under blankets. He brings his legos, she brings her Littlest Petshops. Give them craft/woodworking projects to do.

Great ideas so far!

Something we started in the summer to help with this and we are still using is having them earn points. They earn points for doing extra chores, extra reading, quite alone time in their rooms, etc. They can cash the points in for screen time, a soda, or a $1 item at the store, or a book from my book stash, etc. (I do limit the rewards that cost me money because I can't afford to give out a book a day, and having a soda is a special treat.) During the summer I even put together idependent school activities and worksheets that they did for points. Some days they spend all day doing these things and some days they do nothing. Usually on days they don't do the stuff they have found other activities to keep themselves busy. Make adjustments to make it work for your kids. It takes time to get them to adjust to less screen time, but keep on it and all will be happy in the end.

I say go cold turkey. Unplug the tv and game system. Pack up all the games and dvds. While you're at it, throw in your i-phone too. Put it all in the back of your car. :auto: to the nearest thrift store, and donate.

Go home and adjust to a happier lifestyle where imaginations rule, good books become the new entertainment, and gaining knowledge becomes the pursuit.

I would like the guts to take my own advice. :001_smile:

Anyone have any spare guts?

We did it years ago...got rid of the GameBoys and the Nitendo and all the related games. We recently gave away all but one or two games when we bought our Mac. Darn, they didn't run on a Mac. I was soo sad. ;) They adjusted. We try to keep electronics limited to the weekends and library.

We also donated all but the LEGOs plastic toys. WOW! What a change in peaceful playing. The LEGOs are only allowed in their rooms now. Funny, they hardly ever play with them. OTOH, I am constantly buying paper and DryErase pens and paint and PlyDoh. I really do not mind. I rather that than electronic beeping. Texas is just never really nice for outside though we do have a large overgrown backyard. It is either too hot or too nasty. C'est la vie.

Yikes. I can't even imagine WILLINGLY being awake at 6 am, but besides that...

Turn off the TV during the day. My kids know that in general, TV during the day just isn't going to happen (at least until Electric Company comes on TV at 4:00, LOL.) Provide them with a rich assortment of activities. Just today my 7 y/o worked on a jigsaw puzzle, built an intricate train track for his little sister, rode his scooter around the unfinished basement, played several board/card games (Rat a Tat Cat, Scrambled States, The Scrambled States of America), built with Legos, checked on his science experiment, fed the chickens and the dog, and more that I just can't remember. He and dd also enjoy Snap Circuits, science kits, how-to-draw books, creating art, playing chess and other games, hammering at a workbench, crossword puzzles, watching birds with binoculars, etc.

I really think that the key is making sure that they have lots of fun, exciting activities available to them. Often it helps for me to select a few games and puzzles for them if they seem to be floundering around unable to find something for themselves.

They might grumble and whine for a while, but if you stick firm to no TV during the day they'll eventually be forced to find ways to keep themselves occupied.

I would suggest either adding more school or getting

rid of the things you don't want them to do. Maybe give

them chores? You could have a very clean house with

all that energy.

What about educational programs? You could have

a stack of DVDs from the library with educational topics

and they are allowed to watch from those? You could get

foreign language ones and your kids could pick up a

language in that extra time?

And what about educational video games? I remember

there used to be Science Hangman and Vocabulary games

and things like that.

Or make a big chart with the things they *are* allowed

to do, like: Paint, Draw, Run around with the pets, Clean your

room, Tidy the shelves, Read a book, Put away your clothes,

Practice your cursive, Play tag, etc. When they are bored they

can look at the chart and pick whatever they want.

I just thought of something else:

You could make the whole "day" for "School" until,

say, 4 PM.

So everything they do has to be school.

Of course, reading anything counts, painting counts,

going outside to play counts as "Recess," writing

anything counts, and so on. Also you could have

a stack of fun books like coloring books, cutout books,

paper kits, origami kits and so on, and they all count

as school. Playing an instrument also counts. So does

writing a handwritten letter to Grandma.

This is a little nuts but maybe if they know they

have to fill a certain time with worthwhile activities

they will?

Anyway, Good Luck!

Wow, I am jealous....6 a.m. would NEVER happen here, but I wish it would! Oh, to have that much time in our day, how wonderful!

But if it did, I think here is how I would handled it:

1. Don't take away electronics completely...it's something they enjoy...why be punished? I would limit it though. Perhaps each child gets one hour a day for video games. And TV viewing can only happen during certain times of the day, say from 5p-7p, or after dinner, etc.

2. Perhaps have a planned "family" activity for the afternoons. A science experiment, or art project, etc. Something that relates to your normal school work, or perhaps something completely on it's own. Something that is hands-on, fun, etc. Not every day....but 1-2 a week. I bet your children will soon start to look forward to those days.

I know during those times that we have grounded/banned my boys from using electronics, they are miserable the first few days, but soon find something to do with their time and actually turn into active boys! I love it, but unforunately my DH is one of those all about having the TV on every minute of the day, has raised my boys playing video games, etc. It's not the worst thing ever, of course, far worse parenting things have been done in the world, but something that I wish we could back up and do over again.

I say go cold turkey. Unplug the tv and game system. Pack up all the games and dvds. While you're at it, throw in your i-phone too. Put it all in the back of your car. :auto: to the nearest thrift store, and donate.

Go home and adjust to a happier lifestyle where imaginations rule, good books become the new entertainment, and gaining knowledge becomes the pursuit.

I would like the guts to take my own advice. :001_smile:

Anyone have any spare guts?

I would love to do this. I would have to get rid of the internet and this computer too. I have actually suggested it, but DH will never be on board with it. We talk a lot about cutting costs and being frugal, but when it comes right down to it our biggest expense is in entertaining ourselves with the internet, our WOW accounts, our Wii games and Netflix. We could save so much money and have so much more family time. But, we got more Wii games for Christmas, DH bugs me to pvp with him in WOW, and he is planning on getting a new laptop this spring, meaning we will be just shy of one computer per person living in our home.

Outside sounds great. Too bad it is currently winter here and too cold to spend time outdoors.

:confused: How far north do you live? We live in MN, and my kids get a pass on outside time when windchills are below 0 or we have a wind advisory. With winter coats, boots, and snow pants, the winter world can be lots of fun. I don't know how Canadians fair in the winter, though. We are already too far north and too cold for my comfort. :D

My kids would love to have as much free time as yours do! We just finished listening to the first Harry Potter book, and they were playing Harry Potter yesterday. They all found robes to wear, made wands out of Lincoln Logs, and were pretending dictionaries were potion books. They even made up little rhyming spells. Very cute!

I had to ban screen time before 5pm. They used to sit down in front of the tv or computer when they finished schoolwork, and then when their screen time was finished, they were bored. Now that they're not allowed in front of a screen until 5pm, they somehow find things to do in the afternoon.

I'm extremely impressed that your kids get started on school at 6am, though. My kids don't even get up until after 8am. And they're doing schoolwork until around 3pm or sometimes later. What time do you get up in the morning?

I'm extremely impressed that your kids get started on school at 6am, though. My kids don't even get up until after 8am. And they're doing schoolwork until around 3pm or sometimes later. What time do you get up in the morning?

That was my first thought too. Actually it was my second - my first was "When do they have breakfast?". We aren't usually up much before 8.

Outside sounds great. Too bad it is currently winter here and too cold to spend time outdoors. I am going to take the advice of banning screen time. I am also adding in some extra reading to their schedule to take up a bit more time in the day.

What about audiobooks? My kids have really enjoyed time playing with legos or stuffed animals or drawing with some great story on the tape player or CD player.

Favorites have been:

Jim Weiss not only his own retellings, but his readings of books like Robinson Crusoe and Henty books

Odds Bodkin the Paul Bunyan is wonderful and we liked the Odyssey too.

Classical Kids stories about musicians or musical works

The Chronicles of Narnia unabridged readings (I think they are a BBC production)

And don't forget audio versions of SOTW.

Should I assign more reading? Should I set up something structured for them after they finish school? I don't want them wasting the rest of their day on mindless activities.

No. Just restrict their tv/computer time. My kids can't use the tv/computer until after 4 pm. Your kids will find ways to occupy themselves.

My kids lost their tv/computer time the first week of winter break. They were amazingly creative.

Tara

It may take a bit of your being dedicated to helping them learn to use their free time. (I mean play with them.) You can sit down and brainstorm ideas with them, then write them on slips of paper and put it in a jar. If they seem bored, send them to the jar. Or, you can suggest ideas such as, why don't we build a fort and then have a tea party with your stuffed animals? Go outside with them and do stuff. Walk, make fairy houses out of sticks and make up stories about them. They will probably start to do some of these things themselves.

I do have to say, my boys go through periods of this. Sometimes it last for months. They don't seem to know what to do with their free time. At other times, there isn't enough free time for them. They both have things they are very interested in right now and that drives a lot of their free time, but just free play doesn't always work so well.

Another thought (and I haven't read all the responses so I'm sorry if I'm repeating) but you could set up an art center, a craft center (with glue gun and lots of recyclables) dress up area, etc. Also a tea time one afternoon a week is very nice.

Sorry if this not written well at all, as the coffee hasn't kicked in yet.:)

We also finish around 11am and don't watch TV during the day. The other posters have had some great ideas, but I know that even with all those options, my boys and I would get bored staying home all afternoon. So, we go out every afternoon. Some days it's just to the library, the bookstore or the grocery store, but other days I take them skating, bowling, rock climbing, swimming etc. I know it's hard to get a bunch of kids out of the house, but the more you do it, the easier it gets.

They start at *6 am*??? Whatever you're feeding them, I need to feed my family too! :)

Seriously, if they aren't wanting to do anything, then nothing they're doing for their school work is very inspiring. Dump something or add something till they seem to get inspired. Ditto the others on no tv/video games before 3 pm. Typing yes. Pay them for their wpm every month and suddenly they'll find something they want to do. ;)

Have you tried pulling up Enchanted Learning and printing some of the activities and art projects? Have you looked in the non-fiction section of your library for things to do? Send them to the library, each with a laundry basket, and tell them not to come out till they've found something they want to DO. It's their own deal to busy themselves and your deal merely to provide the fodder and materials. Make sure you're taking them to the library enough.

Have you tried any Klutz books with them? They need a kit, something they can do as a starter and then run with. My dd enjoyed the Origami page a day calendar last year. I keep a whole shelf of crazy things I find that are just for rainy day, bizarre things to do. Your library would have books in the art/craft/juvenile section with recipes for different types of goop. That would keep kids busy a long time. It's just endless the things to do. Hmmm, mostly boys? Have you gotten the Mini-Weapons of Mass Destruction book? Maybe your library will have it. They could keep busy for quite a few days building weapons from that. We set up a large plastic sheet so dd could shoot her things at it without harming anyone. Go to the dollar store and buy goggles for everyone, just to be safe.

Have you tried the thrift store for things to do? Ours has nice puzzles and board games come through regularly.

Have you looked for field guides and nature guides specific to your state/region? They are SO much fun. You can find them for leaves (fall), tracks (winter), wildflowers (spring), butterflies (summer). It's just endless.

Have you thought of having memory work competitions? Mrs. Renz's 4th grade site (google to find) has some really cool memory work competitions with lists of things. Or scripture if you're are christians. Or geography songs and stuff from SL. You could spend 30 minutes to an hour a day working on that.

I make a room in our schedule for practical arts (sewing, cooking, knitting, etc.), and you can probably find things to suit each of your kids too. And of course they have time for a daily nature walk and CM-style drawing outside (something we never get to, humbug!).

If my dd had that much time to herself, she'd read, do her online history, and sculpt. Everyone has what they like. Sometimes they have to get bored enough that they realize they want to do something. You want to see them obsessing over something at this age. Could be birdhouses or whittling or wood-burning or legos or whatever. I think the Nature's Workshop Plus place had a really nice catalog with boy-friend things to do. They might like to work through a cub scout or boy scout handbook. You can find them around (I have one) and don't have to join to do the tasks. With that many boys, you could definitely have some healthy rivalry and competition. :)

BTW, even though I don't have as many kids as yours, I did spend a summer a couple years back busying a flock of visiting kids, including quite a few boys, and those things like the Enchanted Learning activities were exactly what I did with them.

Well if you completely ban all screen time, after about 3 weeks they will go from tantrums and withdrawal, to using their imaginations!!!

Yep.

I also made a "Bored Basket". I printed up a ton of activities to get them going: play a game of checkers, make a horse out of play-doh, draw a space scene, build a car out of Legos, go take a 10 minute run, read a book, write a letter to grandma, etc. The rule is whatever they/I draw, they HAVE to do. I tossed in some fun things - go play the Wii Big Brain Academy for 15 minutes type thing, but they are few and far between. It is like winning the lottery when they draw those. Lol. PM me and I can email you the word document. It prints out on index cards and then cut in half and folded.

And there is always the threat: go find something creative to do or I will find something for you (dishes, wash baseboards, wipe down kitchen chairs, etc). ;)

And I agree with Halycon - make sure your house is full of great books, trips to the library, snap circuits, tinkertoys, legos, decent to quality art supplies, etc.

HTH.