Menu

Wishing everyone a blessed 2012. Several changes in store for us.

I haven't been around this past month and thought I'd update.

DH hurt himself working on phase two of the renovation here. He lost a lot of blood, didn't lose an appendage, and is going to be okay...he's healing well. However, he scared us all and our paramedic dd in particular as well as his mother the retired nursing professor. So, you can imagine because when the two medical people are spending a lot of time talking with the ER docs and furrowing their brows, that it made the rest of us quake in our shoes. He is okay, he really is and he's been off work for a month which has caused him to heal quickly.

He'll be working at his regular job sometime next week but not the hours he's worked in the past...much more reasonable 40-58 instead of 70-80. The mother bear in me went a little wonky on his manager and took it up with someone much higher up the chain who was very accomodating about getting dh assistance on these four projects they have him 50% allocated to...I've never understood how you could allocate 200% of a person. But, if you promise everyone 20 hrs. a week of his time, then you end up with 80 hrs. a work week....that's how they manage that.

I've taken a position working about 10 hrs. per week at a quilt store. Normally, we wouldn't need the money, but by the time the insurance company squabbles with the hospital and we pay our deductible, the extra money will come in handy. I'm also going to be taking on a school guidance counselor position for a about 20 hrs. per month. It's a private school that needs someone to help kids have a better idea how to get into the colleges of their choice, compete for scholarships, plan a high school college prep course that will help them achieve their goals, etc. The teachers have been giving out lousy advice, so the parents asked the school to get someone to assist. I'm excited about that as well. The same private school will also be paying me per session rates to do science labs on some Fridays next semester as they aren't really doing enough with their high schoolers.

We will still be homeschooling, Neo-classical with our geeky science and math pursuits. I will just be much busier while dh is much slower. The trade-off is that I won't be teaching any math for the rest of the year...dh will be taking that over. He will also teach logic and some of the science labs, though not all....ds the freshman is studying an AP biology text and biology is NOT a strong suit for dh.

The only things I really worry about are a. the laundry...none of these men folk are going to help me stay on top of that...seriously, they just will not worry about it. b. keeping my gradebook current and portfolio's updated c. finding the money for ds's capitol trip in March. d. rocketry team - dh assures me he is going to have the physical energy to hike out to the flying field and stay out in the cold for an hr. at a time, plus just generally deal with all of that excited energy they produce. I am not convinced. I'm sure he'll be 100% by May if the team qualifies for finals, but until then I'm concerned. I will work on Saturdays at the quilt store and that is normally when the team flies. DD is working nights and so she sleeps days which prevents her from mentoring the team in our place. Somehow, if dh figures out that he's not as strong as he thought, I've got to make that work too. But, I'm determined. This too shall pass and by summer, things should be normal again.

I'll try, once in a while, to check-in and in particlar, on the high school/college boards. But, for the next 5-6 months, I'm going to be scarce and I won't be checking PM's.

I hope all of you have a wonderful New Year and I wish you all many blessings in your homeschool journey. I'll see everyone again after my last office day in May.

Faith

I've missed you. I'm glad your dh is all right, renovations and accident used in the same sentence make my hair stand on end.

Congratulations on your counselor position. Those kids are going to be so blessed to have you in that position. I'm sure you will see much fruit from that endeavor.

I wish you all the best and glad you stopped by to check in.

I've missed you. I'm glad your dh is all right, renovations and accident used in the same sentence make my hair stand on end.

Congratulations on your counselor position. Those kids are going to be so blessed to have you in that position. I'm sure you will see much fruit from that endeavor.

I wish you all the best and glad you stopped by to check in.

:iagree:

It's good to see you.

Sending you best wishes for the New Year.

Faith, I have always admired your take charge attitude! I am sure that the high school will greatly benefit from your services.

Working in a quilt shop would be disastrous for me! I'd spend my paycheck and then some!

Jane

P.S. I'll make sure that Nan sees this update. Otherwise she'll be wondering...

Faith, the only suggestion I have is about the laundry.

I know you're taking on the work to help bridge the money gap, but if it's possible, perhaps you can drop the laundry off at a laundromat? I know that costs money, I just don't know how much since I've never done it. But my sister, who was struggling to stay on top of everything after her divorce, did it for a while to help her from feeling so overwhelmed.

It might at least be an idea to do once a week or whatever, whenever your work takes you by a laundromat. Just to relieve a bit of the pressure. Something to look into, at least.

Blessings to you and your family!

Dear Faith - Happy New Year! I am so glad your husband is ok. One of my husband's bisiness partners just had a similar sounding accident and it has suddenly made us all aware of the risks we take. (Moral of the story - call 911 early, before you pass out from blood loss. A false alarm is better than what happened.) I'm glad you've managed to cut down his hours. I have a suggestion about the laundry? We have a different brand of sock for each person so they are easily distinguishable, and we buy the socks by the bundle so they don't have to be paired up. Everyone's underware at least has their initial in the band, if it isn't more easily distingishable. The same with shirts and pants. I have lots and lots of laundry baskets. I do the laundry, but I don't put it away unless I happen to have time. If I have time, I fold and pile the pants and shirts as I take them off the wrack or out of the drier. I never do anything but pile the underware and towels into laundry baskets. Then I set the baskets where everyone can get to them easily. Everyone fishes for their socks and underware when they want them. If I have a bit more time, I fold and put the towels in the bathroom, but that is pretty low priority. If all else fails, everyone's clothes are clean and available, they just might not be folded and put away. When I go to do laundry again, I consolidate some clean laundry baskets in order to free them up for dirty laundry, sort everything according to load into the baskets, and haul them all down to the basement. Then as I have time, I put the laundry through and bring up the clean baskets. This makes it really easy for me to say to someone, "Would you just run down and put the white load in the washing machine? The load that is in it now can be put in the drier, and you can bring up the load that is in the drier." *I* do the sorting so that no pens go through and everyone's whites don't turn pink. People in my family are perfectly willing to help if it is all set up like that and doesn't involve much time. Sometimes I keep an empty laundry basket next to the clean baskets to make it easier to fish through to find a particular tee shirt. I try to grab my husband's work khakis right away and hang them up so they stay unwrinkled. Anybody who has clothes that need careful treatment is shown how to deal with it themselves. I do the sheets all at once, when I know I am going to have time to get them off the beds and put clean sheets on again the same day. It took me awhile to get used to the idea of not folding and putting away clothes, but once I got used to the idea, it turned out to be a great timesaver.

Good luck with all your spring endeavors!

Nan

Glad you checked in and glad all is going well health-wise. It must have been super scary.

On a different aspect of what you wrote, I'm really glad you get to be a guidance counselor at that private school! I assume it's one you've written about occasionally on the high school board. ;)