Menu

HOPPIN' JOHN? Who is cooking this for 1/1/12?

I forgot that I had purchased everything for Hoppin' John a couple of days ago so dh is getting everything ready right now.

Anyone else?

If you're not familiar with Hopping John, it's eaten throughout the southern U.S. on New Year's Day. The origin of the name Hopping John is uncertain, but it's thought to have come from the Creole French pronunciation of the pigeon peas used in the dish. Recipe variations for Hopping John abound, but all contain ham, black eyed peas, and collard greens, the peas representing coins and the collard greens representing dollar bills for financial luck in the new year.

OR this one: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/ellen-kanner/meatless-monday-new-years-day_b_1165896.html

Edited by MariannNOVA
Grammar Error

Hmmm, what we (my relatives and myself) call Hoppin' John is black-eye pea jambalaya. I am from SW Louisiana and I didn't know the name also was used for a soup. Anyway, we will be having our kind on the first day of the New Year.

Yup, I think that is exactly what the HP says --'black eyed pea jambalaya.'

Bon Appetit!

We have it separately as a meal and not as a soup. We're having pork loin (my understanding is it must be a pork product, not necessarily ham), black eyed peas, collard greens and cornbread. :)

We don't call it Hoppin' John though. I grew up with a different version of hoppin' john. It's basically a pile of peas, topped with chopped up bacon with tomato and onions on top. You eat it with cornbread cooked in the shape of a pancake (I love my cornbread like this and cook it this way frequently). It tastes like a 'country' style taco almost. :)

And of course, plenty of sweet tea. :)

We have hoppin' john every New Year's, but ours is not very authentic. It's vegetarian (no ham) and we put sour cream and cheese on top. We also serve greens separately, usually kale or collards, depending on what looks good at the store. I also make spoonbread to go with it. It's one of my ds' favorite meals!

Am I the only one who never heard of Hoppin' John before opening this thread?

I am so incredibly out of the loop. :tongue_smilie:

I first heard of it from this board last year -- this is the 2nd year we are cooking it. It was a hit here.:)

We have it separately as a meal and not as a soup. We're having pork loin (my understanding is it must be a pork product, not necessarily ham), black eyed peas, collard greens and cornbread. :)

We don't call it Hoppin' John though. I grew up with a different version of hoppin' john. It's basically a pile of peas, topped with chopped up bacon with tomato and onions on top. You eat it with cornbread cooked in the shape of a pancake (I love my cornbread like this and cook it this way frequently). It tastes like a 'country' style taco almost. :)

And of course, plenty of sweet tea. :)

I did not even think of sweet tea -- what an excellent idea.

We have hoppin' john every New Year's, but ours is not very authentic. It's vegetarian (no ham) and we put sour cream and cheese on top. We also serve greens separately, usually kale or collards, depending on what looks good at the store. I also make spoonbread to go with it. It's one of my ds' favorite meals!

:DAnything with sour cream is immediately a favorite of mine.

We discovered Hoppin' John this past year when I was trying to find a way to use up some ham. Tomorrow will be my first time making it on New Year's Day though! We have plenty of ham to use--like, 13 pounds left over from our 23-pounder :svengo:

23 pounds?!:001_huh:

I do know of the tradition, but I've never made it. Not a single person in my family would eat collard greens or any greens, really, and we all really dislike black eyed peas. It would be a wasted meal here.

BUT, we could sure use some financial luck in the new year! Maybe there is some yummy Chinese dish I can make to bring on the prosperity?:lol:

I do know of the tradition, but I've never made it. Not a single person in my family would eat collard greens or any greens, really, and we all really dislike black eyed peas. It would be a wasted meal here.

BUT, we could sure use some financial luck in the new year! Maybe there is some yummy Chinese dish I can make to bring on the prosperity?:lol:

We put whatever coin is supposed to be put in the pot of soup (nickel or dime) last year. Our family had it with cornbread for dinner and my son in law came over to get a serving (dd31 would not be able to eat this). He spooned himself a serving into a container and brought it back to their house to eat. He found the coin - if there was ever a couple who need a financial blessing, it is them. They are poor as church mice -- praise G-d, they have been blessed this year with a fair amount of job stability for son in law and amazing healing for dd31. :001_smile:

Hoppin John is when you mix it all together.

We will be having all the traditional components - black eyed peas and rice, ham steaks, collard greens (yes, with a shiny quarter hidden within) - but served separately. At least until it's leftovers. :D

Happy New Year, y'all!!!

23 pounds?!:001_huh:

My mom bought it. We have family in town, and it was cooked the first night and meant to serve as leftovers for the next few days. It did, but we still have a LOT left. It will turn into ham and cabbage at some point in January, but for now it will also provide the ham for Hoppin' John :D

That thing almost didn't fit in my little 1960s wall oven though!

Southern New Year's Cooking...Love it!

Here's our menu:

Fried Hog Jowl (I'm from AR and this is a big tradition there.)

Black-eyed peas

Sauerkraut (to replace the boiled cabbage/greens)

Broccoli-Rice Casserole (my mom started this tradition, since she only makes it on New Year's)

Cornbread

It will all be served separately, but I like the idea of adding some crumbled up hog jowl (basically thick bacon), tomatoes, and onions on top. That's sounds good!

My mom bought it. We have family in town, and it was cooked the first night and meant to serve as leftovers for the next few days. It did, but we still have a LOT left. It will turn into ham and cabbage at some point in January, but for now it will also provide the ham for Hoppin' John :D

That thing almost didn't fit in my little 1960s wall oven though!

I'm guessing it might fit in the main oven of my AGA -- with only one rack in the oven. We had a 24 lb deboned turkey at Thanksgiving -- dh and I cut it in half and froze half. The recipe called for the turkey to be wrapped in prosciutto (which is $20/lb at Wegman's) -- I had purchased 15 slices of prosciutto when the turkey was delivered (and it was explained to us why it was twice as large as I thought it would be). I thyink I was so flabbergasted at the amount of turkey that I could think of was: 'I don't have enough prosciutto.' :lol::lol:

This is essentially the Hoppin' John recipe I use. I'm thinking I'll make Kale Chips to serve with it tomorrow. Usually we do Hoppin' John on New Years' Eve and Sauerkraut and Sausage on New Years' Day, but I figure I can put the beans in the crockpot more easily than the other and we can come home to a cooked lunch after worship in the morning.

This is essentially the Hoppin' John recipe I use. I'm thinking I'll make Kale Chips to serve with it tomorrow. Usually we do Hoppin' John on New Years' Eve and Sauerkraut and Sausage on New Years' Day, but I figure I can put the beans in the crockpot more easily than the other and we can come home to a cooked lunch after worship in the morning.

Thanks -- I like that recipe -- that is about how much onion

I would be able to get past my kids.:)

Am I the only one who never heard of Hoppin' John before opening this thread?

I am so incredibly out of the loop. :tongue_smilie:

Nope. This is the first I've ever heard of it.

However, I am admitedly quite the Northerner, as most of (all?) my family from my grandparents genration to now has lived in Michigan. We do not really have any 'Southern' traditions in my family. We even hardly put any sugar in our iced tea. :tongue_smilie: (And, *gasp*, I don't like any tea at all!)

No offense, I'm sure others LOVE it, but the Hoppin' John recipe I read in this thread would not go over well in my house.

Me, my dh, and my 13yo son are on the other side of the state from home visiting dil and grandbaby. My other kids are with my oldest son and his wife. We will be driving home all day tomorrow, so I will not be cooking Hoppin' John on New Years for the first time in 30 years of marriage. I will have to find a restaurant along the way that serves it.

It is a little disconcerting, because mom used to say that what you do on New Year's Day is what you will be doing all year. I know that is ridiculous, but it's still nagging in the back of my mind! :001_smile: I don't want to spend my year in the car.

Me, my dh, and my 13yo son are on the other side of the state from home visiting dil and grandbaby. My other kids are with my oldest son and his wife. We will be driving home all day tomorrow, so I will not be cooking Hoppin' John on New Years for the first time in 30 years of marriage. I will have to find a restaurant along the way that serves it.

It is a little disconcerting, because mom used to say that what you do on New Year's Day is what you will be doing all year. I know that is ridiculous, but it's still nagging in the back of my mind! :001_smile: I don't want to spend my year in the car.

Wegman's sells it canned -- no kidding: Canned Hoppin' John. It was right across the aisle from the dried beans.:auto: I cooked Hoppin' John last year AND I spent my year in the car. Some of us can't win for losing! :lol:

I'm making gumbo, black-eyed peas, collards, and rice today, and we'll eat it straight through tomorrow as well. :)

ETA: The black-eyed peas, collards, and rice are each separate dishes. They'll end up all on the plate together, but they don't get cooked that way.

Gumbo! That's my mother's Christmas tradition. I made chicken and sausage gumbo the day after Christmas this year and you'd have thought I was poisoning my children, they carried on so. My husband ate three bowls, but I think the third was to placate my increasingly nasty mood. How can my children, born at least one-quarter Cajun, not like Gumbo?

My relishrelish.com menu had Hoppin' John on there a few weeks ago, but a vegetarian version with veggie sausage links, green peppers, onions, and blackeyed peas over rice with Cholula hot sauce and corn bread on the side. I made it with turkey sausage because we're not vegetarian. It has no greens (thank goodness, I can't imagine I'd get any of the guys to eat it if it had). I bought the ingredients again this week, but we are celebrating late Christmas with BIL and SIL and kids today, so I'll save Hoppin' John till tomorrow. Too bad, we'll miss the traditional day of eating it! (but it is FANTASTIC!)

We are having all the components as well... Collards with salt pork for seasoning, black eyed peas, Barbecued baby back ribs, corn bread casserole, and some yummy Malbec to toast to the New Year.

Thanks for the Hoppin John recipe...I haven't had that since I was a kiddo.