Menu

Dyson vacuum?

My dyson is over 10 years old and still vacuums SUPER. Mine is not the ball (they weren't around at that time), but I REALLY do love it. It has a super long power cord and the attachments are all right on the machine, and the tube is really long too. LOVE IT!

I have a different Dyson, but I'm crazy about my vacuum. I'm reading about the Dyson Ball and it looks awesome.

Mine is heavy, which is a pain since I have stairs. But, holy smokes!! I can't believe how much muck it picks up.

Dysons are totally worth the money.

I have had my Dyson for about 3 years and I do not love it. I have the big purple, non-ball one. It's very heavy and the dirt and junk it picks up gets all clogged up in the top all over the little holes. I'm very fortunate to have a really slim hand because I have to shove my hand up there every time to try and clean the dust and stuff off. I can't even reach all the way up and it hurts. I have to do this every time I vacuum because it gets so clogged you can't vacuum again without it or it loses too much suction.

I will say that it does pick up very well.

If anyone knows why I can't just simply open the canister thing and dump out the dirt like the commercials, I would SO grateful and thankful. Not to mention I would vacuum more often and I'd really like that; believe it or not. :)

:) I think the vaccum repair guys do not like them b/c they do not see them as often as the others! I've had all the name brands outside of Rainbow and Electrolux (but my mom has Electrolux so I grew up with it)...and none have lasted as well as my Dyson (going on 5 years with no repairs...I know how to remove the bottom and clean my carpet cylinder...I do that often with 3 girls in the house with fairly long hair)

I also have 2 dogs...so I have the animal one...they go on sale at Bed Bath and Beyond every now and then, when you add a 40% off coupon on top of that..you get it for under $200..I think I paid around $140 for mine that retailed over $300! It's awesome!! I also LOVED my Panasonic I had a few years back, but it just did not handle the beatings that I routinely give mine! :) Also, remember to take the filter out and rinse it and let it dry about once every 6 months...

Love my dyson. I got the asthma and allergy one to save $$. I since purchased a Shark Lift Away (for the downstairs) and since it kinda moves like the Dyson ball I now wish I had spent the extra on the ball. Moves so smoothly. But most importantly my Dyson picks up so much and I would never give it up!

If anyone knows why I can't just simply open the canister thing and dump out the dirt like the commercials, I would SO grateful and thankful. Not to mention I would vacuum more often and I'd really like that; believe it or not. :)

Have you checked your owner's manual? Mine isn't the purple one, but I can remove the clear canister. There's a clip on the side directly opposite from the handle. You pull up on it and then you can take the clear part off and dust off the holes and even wash out the clear canister if you want to.

My dog chewed the cord. There's a certified dyson repair guy near me, so that's where I went for cord replacement. No problem.

My problem is teaching the little dog not to chew. My dd says that since he's a rescue and from a puppy mill he was probably taken away from his mother too soon and may never unlearn the chewing habit. So, I made need another cord, but I know where to go.

Mine started to do that and I think we have the same model. Not a complete answer, but doesn't yours have the clip center front at the top where the clear plastic shield can be unclipped from the purple part (after opening the bottom flap typically used to empty)? I used to do that to completely clean it out.

:) I think the vaccum repair guys do not like them b/c they do not see them as often as the others! I've had all the name brands outside of Rainbow and Electrolux (but my mom has Electrolux so I grew up with it)...and none have lasted as well as my Dyson (going on 5 years with no repairs...I know how to remove the bottom and clean my carpet cylinder...I do that often with 3 girls in the house with fairly long hair)

I also have 2 dogs...so I have the animal one...they go on sale at Bed Bath and Beyond every now and then, when you add a 40% off coupon on top of that..you get it for under $200..I think I paid around $140 for mine that retailed over $300! It's awesome!! I also LOVED my Panasonic I had a few years back, but it just did not handle the beatings that I routinely give mine! :) Also, remember to take the filter out and rinse it and let it dry about once every 6 months...

My vacuum guy showed me a whole row of them in the back of the store when I asked about them, so they definitely see them. He said they're not designed to be taken apart easily and they just take a long time to dismantle. They're more expensive to repair because you're paying for parts AND time. Vacuum guys also seem to be very prejudiced against bagless units, but that's a whole 'nother discussion.

I wanted to try bagless with my last vacuum (yeah, I just ignored that smug vacuum man), but the reality of emptying it every time I vacuumed got annoying. You feel like you picked up a lot of stuff, but it's all fluffed up in there. It turns out I'm just a canister girl anyway :glare: (I have a dog, so I vacuum hard floors instead of sweeping them.) I bit the bullet and bought the expensive part to fix my 12 year old kenmore. Now I can get under things easily again and go weeks and weeks without emptying the bag.

I have the dc07 (purple, non-ball), my parents have the dc24 (yellow, ball) and we both LOVE ours! Sooo worth it! I've had mine for 4-5 years and it still sucks as much as it did when I first got it (lol). My parents have had theirs for over a year, with a husky/shepard mix to vacuum after and they love theirs. Also, both of ours were factory reconditioned (refurbished), purchased from different vendors (mine was from Amazon). But they were like new, shipped directly from Dyson with a 90-day warranty.

The only complaint I have about the dc24 ball is that the canister is really tiny! It's half the size of my dc07, so that's something to consider. Not much help with the Shark vacuum, I tried to get my brother to buy it so I could see how it stacked up, but he's used our vacuums and refuses to buy anything other than a Dyson! I wish DH would let me upgrade to this one: http://www.amazon.com/Dyson-DC28-Animal-Refurb/dp/B005XP0VVU/ref=sr_1_5?s=home-garden&ie=UTF8&qid=1325319252&sr=1-5

Well, my vacuum cleaner repair guy doesn't like them - IIRC he said it was a pain to get parts and there were better choices for the money. I've never had one myself.

I found this interesting, if not scientifically rigorous, comparison of the dyson with the kirby.

I had a Kirby before I had my Dyson. I did NOT love the Kirby at all. It was considerably more expensive than my Dyson, weighed about a million pounds and was not as versatile as my Dyson ball.

Another vote here for the Dyson ball. I love the thing.

Oh...and my sister bought The Shark trying to save money. She now has a Dyson Ball, too. The Shark just didn't work very well.

:bigear:

I am in the market for a new vacuum. Seems to be the ritual every 6 months or so because I cannot get up the nerve to put out the money for a vacuum, also we have all wood floors, but have two area rugs. I usually buy a $50 vacuum that works perfect for about a month. Right now I am fighting my Shark rechargeable stick. Every time I go to buy a new vacuum, dh tells me to get a Dyson, I scoff and buy the cheap one. Well now I am ready to spend the $$ on a good vacuum...if I have to stop and clean the ----- thing one more time I will not be responsible for what happens.

So a Dyson will work great on my hardwood floors AND my area rugs?

I use mine on carpet, hardwoods and area rugs. Works GREAT! The only issue (if you can call it that) when doing the area rugs is that the suction is very powerful and it tries to suck up the whole rug when around the edges, so I have to stand on it to keep that from happening.

Seems to be the ritual every 6 months or so because I cannot get up the nerve to put out the money for a vacuum

This reminds me of the saying 'I'm too poor to buy cheap goods.' :tongue_smilie:

I also bought cheap vacuums and was going through 2 a year. I totally freaked out when I decided to buy a $300 Kenmore from Sears but it has been the best vacuum. So.. we've had it for 11 years, that works out to be about $27 per year. I consider it money well spent. But something is wrong with it now. DH wants to take it in for repair but I would like something new. We'll see what happens.

I am in the market for a new vacuum. Seems to be the ritual every 6 months or so because I cannot get up the nerve to put out the money for a vacuum, also we have all wood floors, but have two area rugs. I usually buy a $50 vacuum that works perfect for about a month. Right now I am fighting my Shark rechargeable stick. Every time I go to buy a new vacuum, dh tells me to get a Dyson, I scoff and buy the cheap one. Well now I am ready to spend the $$ on a good vacuum...if I have to stop and clean the ----- thing one more time I will not be responsible for what happens.

Yes! We moved from a home with mostly carpet to mostly hardwood. Love the Dyson still.

My dyson is over 10 years old and still vacuums SUPER. Mine is not the ball (they weren't around at that time), but I REALLY do love it. It has a super long power cord and the attachments are all right on the machine, and the tube is really long too. LOVE IT!

:iagree: we have hardwood throughout, and area rugs in the foyer and living room. I use the bare floor attachment and, between the super long cord and hose, can almost loop all the way through the downstairs.

Bonus: when you suck something up that sticks in the J loop, the whole thing easily snaps apart to retrieve it.

The only drawback I've found in the past 10 years is that it never fails to demonstrate how disgusting we are. I swear, it HAS to be sucking dirt from the crawl space through the gaps in the floorboards.

Have you checked your owner's manual? Mine isn't the purple one, but I can remove the clear canister. There's a clip on the side directly opposite from the handle. You pull up on it and then you can take the clear part off and dust off the holes and even wash out the clear canister if you want to.

I thought all the models (older ones at least) were basically the same, and just had different standard attachments. So I'd think the clear canister would be removable.

I thought all the models (older ones at least) were basically the same, and just had different standard attachments. So I'd think the clear canister would be removable.

Yep. The DC07s were all identical, but for the attachments. Mine snaps apart... Hang on a sec, and I'll upload a pic.

Ok, so the purple one in the front and the not-purple one in the back/side. (Avert your eyes from the dust.)

post-5597-13535085997249_thumb.jpg

post-5597-13535085997482_thumb.jpg

Edited by MyCrazyHouse