Menu

My ds11 is in the ER for the second time today with an allergic reaction

We don't know what he ate. This is my peanut/tree nut allergic child. He went in earlier today with hives all over his face/neck/shoulders and itching in his mouth. It was getting worse after Benadryl. They gave him epinephrine and a steroid and it was better pretty fast.

Fast forward a few hours. Suddenly, ds starts breaking out in hives and swelling up again - this time ALL over his body. He is back at the ER with dh.

What the heck is going on??????

Biphasic reaction? The second part?

I'm guessing you know that reactions can be biphasic, and several (4 - 8) hours later there can be a second round to the reaction, which can be worse than the first part of the reaction.

So sorry.

My kiddo has similar allergies and we've spent way too much time in the ER. Not fun for anyone. And when it's a mystery reaction - it's even worse. It leaves you wondering for, well, forever. (I still wonder about one of our mystery reactions.)

Hugs to you and your kiddo...

Edited by Spryte

Biphasic reaction? The second part?

I'm guessing you know that reactions can be biphasic, and several (4 - 8) hours later there can be a second round to the reaction, which can be worse than the first part of the reaction.

So sorry.

My kiddo has similar allergies and we've spent way too much time in the ER. Not fun for anyone. And when it's a mystery reaction - it's even worse. It leaves you wondering for, well, forever. (I still wonder about one of our mystery reactions.)

Hugs to you and your kiddo...

yes. This is definitely what is happening. I was absolutely SHOCKED when I looked at him one minute and he started breaking out again and within 10 seconds his entire BODY looked like it had been burned. And, his mouth was itching again. It happened so fast.

:grouphug: for your reactions. These mysteries are SO scary.

Jennifer, is there any history of latex reactions? How about potato?

Yes. Potato. Sweet potato.

Today, we were at church and he ate a potato, leek, bacon soup. We found out later that someone had used the same spoon to stir all three soups - a lentil/curry soup and a seafood soup. I have calls in to the two other cooks.

He's never had a reaction if he's touched peanuts/tree nuts. This reaction is just so much worse than his others. Seriously - he looks like a burn victim.

Yes. Potato. Sweet potato.

Today, we were at church and he ate a potato, leek, bacon soup. We found out later that someone had used the same spoon to stir all three soups - a lentil/curry soup and a seafood soup. I have calls in to the two other cooks.

He's never had a reaction if he's touched peanuts/tree nuts. This reaction is just so much worse than his others. Seriously - he looks like a burn victim.

So you are saying he IS allergic to potato, and that's what he had? :confused:

My son's biphasic reaction had hives lasting 3 days.

They kept him overnight at the hospital to monitor him.

We were told by our allergist after the fact that it would have been good to give his office a call after our admission to the hospital. If your son is admitted, you may want to contact your allergist as well. And be very careful about food served there. They included allergens on my son's breakfast tray. :glare:

Hope you get some answers.

So you are saying he IS allergic to potato, and that's what he had? :confused:

No. He tested allergic to sweet potato. He's had white potato tons of times without a reaction.

My son's biphasic reaction had hives lasting 3 days.

They kept him overnight at the hospital to monitor him.

We were told by our allergist after the fact that it would have been good to give his office a call after our admission to the hospital. If your son is admitted, you may want to contact your allergist as well. And be very careful about food served there. They included allergens on my son's breakfast tray. :glare:

Hope you get some answers.

I am hoping they keep him overnight. I don't want to monitor him here!

We will definitely be calling our allergist!

Really? Hospital food with his allergens on the tray??????

We found out later that someone had used the same spoon to stir all three soups - a lentil/curry soup and a seafood soup.

Lentils are very close to peanuts. My guy recently had an airborne reaction to lentil soup cooking... didn't even know he was lentil allergic.

Keep us posted.

:grouphug:

No. He tested allergic to sweet potato. He's had white potato tons of times without a reaction.

I am hoping they keep him overnight. I don't want to monitor him here!

We will definitely be calling our allergist!

Really? Hospital food with his allergens on the tray??????

Anaphylaxis was to cashews. He's also allergic to milk. We told the nurses. The tray had a carton of milk. Made it clear that the food wasn't safe to eat.

Oh, Jennifer, that is INSANE! Expect this for the next few days? Treat with a double dose of Benadryl?

Did they start him on a steroid and give him something to block absorption?

You are doing Benadryl round clock, preferably liquid, until the hives are gone 24 hours right?

"I" would not leave the ER, and would be in the room contacted our ped allergist or family doctor depending on who is more up to date in your situation. Run it by them before leaving.

You also need to have a twin ject or twin pack of epi pens now for back up.

Call your allergists office now. They may have an on call doctor.

I'd hang out in ER waiting area rather than going home, probably.

Or ask for an admission...but call allergist now.

He was given a steroid to take for three days and we do have epi pens here at home. His hives are WORSE right now than they were when he went in to the ER. We just gave him a second dose of Benadryl. I'm off to call the allergist.

Call your allergists office now. They may have an on call doctor.

I'd hang out in ER waiting area rather than going home, probably.

Or ask for an admission...but call allergist now.

:iagree:Please call your allergist asap.

My son's allergist is a little woman--really, she doesn't come up to my shoulder (I'm 5'4"), but she became a very imposing presence when she found out that I hadn't called her during one of my son's attacks. I thought that weekends wouldn't work...she informed me otherwise...:blush: She wanted to help.

A good dr. will be good to you. Please call.

I hope your son is doing better soon.

:grouphug: So sorry this is happening to your son, these reactions are so scary. I would be suspicious of the lentils, we have been told to keep them away from my peanut allergic guy.

As for the hospital, I think it really is hit or miss the attention you get in any ER, depending on the knowledge of the doctor you see. Some are great with allergic reactions, some are clueless. I hope your allergist is responsive and gives you some guidance.

I don't know if this will be helpful (and talk with your allergist first) but with my son's reaction, he had NO visible symptoms at first...just a scratchy throat and telling us he thought he was having a reaction. No hives.

We gave Benadryl, orapred (part of our allergy kit) and headed to ER just in case.

Gave Epi on drive when he started vomiting.

Once at ER, they gave epinephrine again, IV Benadryl, and a breathing treatment. Still no hives or visible issues.

Five hours later... When we were about to be released, hives. All over and so bad that he looked bruised for 3 days. More epinephrine and then admission.

So increased hives can definitely be part of the second phase and be worse.

Good luck!

Jennifer,

Our ER is bad with anaphylaxis.

My son's first anaphylaxis (to trace tree nut exposure) was biphasic. His symptoms returned, worse, a few hours later.

If I recall the protocol is supposed to be wait in the ER for four hours in case the reaction goes biphasic. If I'm reading correctly he's within that time period and this might be a biphasic reaction.

My son does oral steroids for days after anaphylaxis along with benadryl.

I guess I'm saying it sounds like perhaps the ER mismanaged it initially to me. They should have continued monitoring prepared to treat recurrence.

Thank you all. The allergist agreed that he should have been kept in the ER longer the first time. She recommended giving him another dose of steroid and an Allegra. He'd already had a double dose of Benadryl. She said to wake him up throughout the night to give Benadryl. (ER said let him sleep)

She said that the steroids should start working during the night and that should keep his reaction at bay. (Keeping fingers crossed.)

And, call in the AM for an appointment tomorrow.

It's been about 20 minutes since giving all those new meds and something is working. The hives are fading.

I have a HUGE headache. Can I have a glass of wine?

Yes, please. At least ONE glass of wine!

And the hives looking like he was burned...I'd never heard that description before, but when I was tested for the basic inhalant allergies, that's what my arm looked like. It looked like it had been burned.

Praying for you through the night hon!

Edited by cin

So sorry! Big :grouphug: 's! I developed a reaction to antibiotics (after being on them for over 8 months because my insurance wouldn't cover a surgery to remove the problem) in college. I spent Christmas Eve, Christmas day, and another day going back and forth to the hospital-hives covering my body within minutes. They kept giving me shots, but would then release me and it was horrible. Praying for your son!

Sounds like it could be the biphasic reaction, which is why the hospital should likely have kept him longer in order to monitor for this possibility. My 3 yr old had a reaction to eggs on Saturday night that was very upsetting to me. He took a glass off the counter to get some water and it had been used for egg nog, he filled it with water and only had 2 sips but just that little bit of watered down cross contamination was enough to make him ill. :( He was vomiting profusely and itching all over. (he's allergic to eggs, peanuts, milk and soy). Thankfully Benadryl took care of it and we stopped just short of giving him his epi and going to ER. It's so scary! I stayed up half the night just watching him breathe. Did anyone bring food that could have had cross contamination?

We're back from the allergist! I just LOVE being right. When I told the doc what the ER did, she was livid!!!!! She was taking notes and asking lots of questions. She's going to be calling over there. She said that he should NOT have been let out of the ER for at least 5 hours after epi. The said that he should have been given the epi the second time he went in.

Dh was told that secondary reactions are common and made him feel silly for coming in. Today, I found out that they are NOT common and are a cause for REAL concern when they do happen.

The doseage of steroids they gave him was WAY too low, so she gave him more.

I started crying right there in the office. I just KNEW I wasn't overreacting. My dh actually apologized because he trusted that second doc over me.

This sucks still. But, at least I know to trust MY instincts.

:grouphug:Wow.

We're back from the allergist! I just LOVE being right. When I told the doc what the ER did, she was livid!!!!! She was taking notes and asking lots of questions. She's going to be calling over there. She said that he should NOT have been let out of the ER for at least 5 hours after epi. The said that he should have been given the epi the second time he went in.

Dh was told that secondary reactions are common and made him feel silly for coming in. Today, I found out that they are NOT common and are a cause for REAL concern when they do happen.

The doseage of steroids they gave him was WAY too low, so she gave him more.

I started crying right there in the office. I just KNEW I wasn't overreacting. My dh actually apologized because he trusted that second doc over me.

This sucks still. But, at least I know to trust MY instincts.

:grouphug: Thanks for updating. I'm so glad you called her and she got him in today.

Does she have any suspicions as to what he was reacting to? How's he doing with all of this? Do something for yourself today!

:iagree:

Also, maybe now the wine will help the headache :) :grouphug:

This sucks but you're not alone in it.

Glad you got good info from your doctor and glad your son is doing better.