Menu

Bikes in the snow?

Bike on a solid surface that has traction...

If biking will be on a road/sidewalk/drive where there is a chance of an icy spot then it becomes too dangerous.

If biking will be done on snow--(not deep of course) it would be fine as long as there is no chance of an icy spot...

When I bike looses traction it cannot be steered!

It's 30 degrees, sunny. There just happens to be snow on the ground. But if that's not what kids do in the snow, tell me quick--I can still stop them. They just need their blood pumping. :D

30 and sunny - they can do anything they want in the snow. Get them outside while you have a chance. My youngest has been riding bikes all week - the sidewalks are mostly clear of snow.

It's not actively snowing, some of it's melted, seems fine to me. I figure this is what people do.

Dh thinks I"m crazy. What says the hive?

dh biked in the snow in austria. He commented it was MUCH easier to get around in than cars.

Bike on a solid surface that has traction...

If biking will be on a road/sidewalk/drive where there is a chance of an icy spot then it becomes too dangerous.

If biking will be done on snow--(not deep of course) it would be fine as long as there is no chance of an icy spot...

When I bike looses traction it cannot be steered!

:iagree:

It depends.

Your kids are ten and under, yes?

Yes if they stay in the driveway and shoveled sidewalk area and are wearing appropriate helmets appropriately. I can't stand it when kids where a helmet on the crown of their heads with their entire forhead exposed.

No to anything else.

biking in snow is fine.

If you want to go crazy you can even get snow tires for your bike.

This is what I was going to say. I have a friend who doesn't have a car- does all his commuting by bicycle, every single day. He recently swapped out his tires for snow tires. They have chains or studs or something on them to keep them from being slippery.