Menu

Would this bother you?

Do unnecessary condiments bother you?  

1. 1. Do unnecessary condiments bother you?

• Yes, they are obviously uncouth philistines.
    • No, you are silly, Mrs Mungo.
    • Other
    • Mmmmmm.....baaaaacon.

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

It used to bother me. A lot. We ran a restaurant that catered to a pretty specific ethnic group, but we were also in a major university town so we'd occasionally get the random student seeking something exotic. But then that student, always Western, would smother our delicious foods with half of a container of shoyu - as if the shoyu were a broth, instead of an optional enhancement in spare amounts.

I hired a guy who was in a fraternity, and before long our student customers equaled (is that spelled correctly? It looks weird) our ethnic customers. They used to compare me to the Soup Nazi from Seinfeld because I'd limit how many soy sauce packets I'd include with the to-go orders :D I just couldn't stand to see them ruin perfectly good food! They'd have to spend their own money buying Kikkomen from the grocery store to do that!

But over the years I've gotten over it. If someone's palate is so ... undeveloped ... that he feels the need to ruin a perfectly prepared plate, well, that speaks more about him than it does me (or in this case, YOU)!

Yes, that would bother me a tad, but I wouldn't dwell on it. Ironically, quiche is one dish that my family and friends like. If I change just one ingredient it changes the whole quiche.

Question though...since he put salsa on it, did you give him a tortilla shell as well? :lol:

Boo, I wish I were there. I would love your cooking! You just have to let these guys dump whatever sauce they think they need on their food.

Even when my dh really likes what I make, he still finds a need for hot sauce. It's just the way he is.

Think of it this way: some people have more tastebuds than others. The people with less need the hot sauce. ;)

Yes, it would bother me! LOL

I had brain surgery in February. My husband waited on me hand and foot for weeks. When I was finally able to drive alone, one day I went to the lovely butcher market in town and bought him PREMIUM filet mignon. I spent big bucks. I wanted to cook him something special. I cooked it perfectly. PERFECTLY I tell you! Made an amazing wine reduction sauce for it and everything. I was quite impressed with myself.

We sat down to dinner, wine and all. I was putting my first bite into my mouth as I looked over and he was pouring A1 SAUCE all over it. I could have killed him. I really could have. Sigh...

:lol:

Yes it would bother me, but I would also expect it. My mother claims she has never met a man who likes quiche, and so far it has proven true.

I just don't understand :confused:

Huh. Put pastry on top, call it an egg and bacon pie and they'll yum it up. :glare: Germaine Greer usually gives me a pain in the belly, but one of her books mentioned a food gene and cautioned the philistines out there not to offend the food gene. That resonated very strongly with me! Then dh was shocked one day when he realised he has a food gene too. Ha ha.

On your behalf, I'd like to let out a loud HARUMPH! Your quiche sounds divine--a work of art. And what he did to it would be like someone pouring cheap ranch dressing on the Mona Lisa.

I'm going to repost this on the 'what made you smile' thread. Not only did I smile, but I sighed happily and dropped the tension that had built up from reading the OP. :lol:

Rosie

Edited by Rosie_0801

Just wanted to add.....

I am Cajun. My whole family is Cajun. Tabasco Sauce (not hot sauce, not "Louisiana" hot sauce) is required on everything, along with Tony Chachere's seasoning. It doesn't matter who cooked it, what was cooked, wheter you ordered it in a restaurant or not, you put at least one of those two things on it. Those don't bother me. Other stuff does, but I know it shouldn't.

:iagree: Tabasco is the only acceptable addition. All other red condiments are heresy.

Mrs. Mungo, I would consider having them exorcised. Obviously, they are possessed by an unholy condiment demon.

Oh - that kind of stunt is NOT tolerated at *my* table ;). I don't care what you do with leftovers, but you WILL NOT FOUL MY DELICIOUS DINNER WITH BBQ SAUCE, KETCHUP, OR ANY OTHER CONIDIMENT NOT ALREADY PROVIDED AT THE TABLE! (this is usually addressed to my 16yo - dh knows better.)

P.S. dh makes me quiche every year for my birthday breakfast. :)

DH has fiery habanero hot sauce that goes on everything. He tries to explain how good it is because it has apple cider vinegar in it so it has an underlying sweetness. I know he's lying because there is no way his tastebuds are functioning well enough to detect sweetness. He's fried them by dousing them in habanero sauce at every single stinking meal for ages.

He doesn't deserve to taste the delicious things I cook! So there!