Menu

What do you think about telecommuting?

Are telecommuters more likely to be let go first in a corporate downsizing?  

1. 1. Are telecommuters more likely to be let go first in a corporate downsizing?

• Yes.
    • No.
    • Other (please explain).

No, I don't think that's necessarily the case. It may be the case that companies hire more worker bees in the form of telecommuters before making an infrastructure commitment, and that could end up as a "first for layoff" situation. When I worked in IT consulting, the vast majority of people I knew telecommuted; the only people in the office full time were the "non-producers" - HR, administrative support, accounting and the like. If they'd fired based on telecommuting, there would be no income.

I think it depends entirely on the job you're doing.

*that would be an "other" response.

Edited by MyCrazyHouse

Probably at some companies that's true, but I'm sure it's not at others. Dh sometimes telecommutes (probably about 20% of the time) and it's definitely the case that at his company, they care a lot more about the results than whether you're there. Also, telecommuting can save companies money in many cases. So I voted no.

I also answered "other" because it depends. If someone is telecommuting but doing a job easily done by others in the company (for example, word processing), and/or they can not complete their job as well telecommuting than they would in an office, then, yes, maybe they could be sooner to be let go. But if someone's position is essential and the person's skills are more specialized within that company, and the telecommuting does not get in the way of the person completing the work in a professional manner, then no.

My experience: I've been mostly telecommuting for about 5 years, since I went back to work after DD was born. In that time I've survived three rounds of layoffs, and barring some significant change in my company's client base, I think my job is safe for as long as I want it and can keep my clients and bosses happy. Yes, I am very lucky!

No. My dad has telecommuted for over seven years. He flies to meet people in person about once a month. He specializes in a certain type of software/computer engineering (chips and assembly language type stuff), so he would only be let go if the whole company was going under.

It probably depends on the position.

I've been telecommuting for 9+ years now and have escaped many lay-offs. The first 5 of those years, I worked 20hrs/wk. Now I work 30hrs/wk. I'm conscientious, flexible, reliable, communicative, professional, and I'm good at what I do. I worked in the office for 12+ years before I started telecommuting, so I had a good track record beforehand. I started telecommuting b/c dh changed careers and attended school in another state, then found a job in yet another state.

More and more people are telecommuting these days. It does save companies money.

Edited by Sue in St Pete

In most cases, the fact that there's not a face to go with the diembodied name on the phone and in emails can be a liability, but I've also seen situations where companies have recognized the fact that not having to provide a work site can seriously cut down on overhead, and in some cases, allow for them to draw from a wider talent pool (larger geographic area). I think that it can go both ways.

In most cases, the fact that there's not a face to go with the diembodied name on the phone and in emails can be a liability, but I've also seen situations where companies have recognized the fact that not having to provide a work site can seriously cut down on overhead, and in some cases, allow for them to draw from a wider talent pool (larger geographic area). I think that it can go both ways.

:iagree: I telecommuted for an IT position within a major Midwestern university for over 7 years. My co-workers lived in Montreal, Israel, and Alaska. It was a university environment instead of public sector, so I'm not sure if that makes a difference.

I answered other, mostly because I think it depends heavily on the industry and the employee.

My dh telecommutes. We are fairly confident in his job security because he is the go-to guy on their tech support problems. However, if he didn't have nearly 20 years of field experience with that company I doubt he would be that big of an asset.

I think companies are beginning to realize the cost effectiveness of telecommuting as well. It works well in the right situations.

Not necessarily. It depends on the company. Telecommuters are usually the cheaper employees. They aren't usually at the top of the list to chop because of that. Seniority often comes into play, though, so if you're a newbie all bets are off anyway. If a union is involved, that's a whole other ball of wax.

I don't think, however, that you can make a clear call on the topic without taking the actual company into consideration.

:iagree: I answered other. I know telecommuters at my husband's company have been laid off because they aren't as tied into things at the office. But other telecommuters that go head over heels to stay in touch are worth their weight. I think it really depends on the employee, the job in question, and the culture of a particular company whether or not telecommuters might be the first to go.

No.

Dh has been telecommuting for 15 years (or more). He has not seen this at his company. He is in software development. More often than not, now, meetings are phone meetings. There may be 2-3 people in the actual meeting room, and the rest of the people phone in (as opposed to when he started, when he was the only one on the phone). He's survived several rounds of layoffs. His company office has closed office buildings and created common work spaces, as opposed to individual offices, because so many people telecommute.

His admittedly anecdotal experience is that the people let go first have been the people who aren't doing their jobs effectively, the people whose knowledge/area of expertise has become obsolete and who haven't continued to educate themselves other areas of their field, and people who don't get along with their bosses.

Strategies that have helped him (in his opinion): He visits the main office yearly to get face-to-face contact with his boss; he keeps up with changes and is constantly participating in ongoing education; he makes himself and his experience available to colleagues who need input or help. Things that make anyone a valuable employee. :)

Cat