Menu

recommendations for *HOT* electric blanket

I must have gone through a dozen electric blankets last winter, and none of them got *hot* enough. as in, my toes are still cold!!

I don't want to have to use 2 electric blankets. Does it seem to anyone else that blankets are just not hot enough anymore?

Anyone have a recommendation for a good *hot* (like fry an egg on my bed) electric blanket.

RObin in NJ

DH got this a couple of years ago and loves it! It goes under the fitted sheet on his side of the bed and he is happy as a clam. Maybe because heat rises, it was more effective at keeping him warm. :D He turns it on low about 30 minutes before bed and then he's nice and toasty. It has two settings (low and high). The high setting keeps the bed HOT, HOT, HOT. Too hot, actually. He never uses high unless he forgets to prewarm and then puts it on hot for a few minutes to do a rapid pre-heat. Keeping it on high is intolerable for sleep though. Perhaps because it's meant to be for an open massage table, it gets hotter than most electric blankets would? Anyway, it's HOT.

Edited by Alte Veste Academy

that's what i figured, too. but i was hoping that someone in another country might have different choices.

at this point i am willing to purchase overseas.

robin

Even if they did have different options, it's likely they wouldn't work here without a converter. I could be wrong but I thought the majority of the world used a different ?(sorry I don't know the exact wording) electric system? than the US.

I layer the children's bed (I have a waterbed--- 'cause it's warm)

But I find putting something on top of the e-blanket is good (like a down blanket) It seems to provide more insulation and make the bed warmer.

Also if you wear socks to bed, get the diabetic socks (they seem to aloow for more blood flow)

Lara

I layer the children's bed (I have a waterbed--- 'cause it's warm)

But I find putting something on top of the e-blanket is good (like a down blanket) It seems to provide more insulation and make the bed warmer.

Also if you wear socks to bed, get the diabetic socks (they seem to aloow for more blood flow)

Lara

I do have 2 blankets on top of the e-blanket. I don't wear socks to bed. I just can't. I wear thermals plus pj bottoms and t-shirt with hoodie on top.

Robin

From Oct to March, my feet are cold no matter what I do. So I made a rice bag (old sock filled with rice and knotted) that I microwave for 1.5mins before bed. I hold it between my feet to warm them up. Usually once they GET warm, they STAY warm.

Good luck!

PS. Microplush sheets helped too.

:iagree: We do this too, but I think my rice bag must be bigger because I microwave it for 5 minutes before bed! That thing radiates heat most of the night; even in the morning, it's still above room temperature. I think it's the most wonderful thing ever for those of us with cold feet!

Even if they did have different options, it's likely they wouldn't work here without a converter. I could be wrong but I thought the majority of the world used a different ?(sorry I don't know the exact wording) electric system? than the US.

The cycles are also different. Anything with a heating element or a clock doesn't really work right, even with a converter.

I recommend flannel sheets and a down comforter.

DH got this a couple of years ago and loves it! It goes under the fitted sheet on his side of the bed and he is happy as a clam. Maybe because heat rises, it was more effective at keeping him warm. :D He turns it on low about 30 minutes before bed and then he's nice and toasty. It has two settings (low and high). The high setting keeps the bed HOT, HOT, HOT. Too hot, actually. He never uses high unless he forgets to prewarm and then puts it on hot for a few minutes to do a rapid pre-heat. Keeping it on high is intolerable for sleep though. Perhaps because it's meant to be for an open massage table, it gets hotter than most electric blankets would? Anyway, it's HOT.

We have a heated mattress pad too. Gets much warmer than an electric blanket.

Get a heated Mattress pad! Seriously, heat from below is hot! I think ours is made by sunbeam.

:iagree: Everyone in my family has one of these on their beds & they work wonderfully. Just be sure to turn it on "before" you go to bed. If my core is cold before bedtime I take a hot shower, hop into a nice hot bed & crash :)

I do have 2 blankets on top of the e-blanket. I don't wear socks to bed. I just can't. I wear thermals plus pj bottoms and t-shirt with hoodie on top.

Robin

You sound like me but I wear socks too. My dh laughs and goes to sleep in his underwear, I don't get it.:confused: Our electric blanket gets hot enough but I like the idea of these mattress pad heaters.:D (Our electric blanket has two controls so I don't bake my dh in his sleep.:tongue_smilie:)

I wanted a heated pad and dh thought that is what he bought. We decided to use the blanket and I realized that unless I had prewarmed a non-heated blanket with the pad, my body would have a heck of a time warming the blanket above me with only heat from below.

How's that work out with using a pad?

I wanted a heated pad and dh thought that is what he bought. We decided to use the blanket and I realized that unless I had prewarmed a non-heated blanket with the pad, my body would have a heck of a time warming the blanket above me with only heat from below.

How's that work out with using a pad?

Heat rises. I turn the heated mattress pad on about 30 minutes prior to going to bed. It's toasting when I get in....

I must have gone through a dozen electric blankets last winter, and none of them got *hot* enough. as in, my toes are still cold!!

I don't want to have to use 2 electric blankets. Does it seem to anyone else that blankets are just not hot enough anymore?

Anyone have a recommendation for a good *hot* (like fry an egg on my bed) electric blanket.

RObin in NJ

We sleep in our basement and especially when we run the wood burner it..is..COLD down there. Three years ago we invested in some Dawn comforters and absolutely love them. I could never get my feet warm before but with these(my dh and I don't share a comforter, we each have our own twin)I sort of wrap mine around my feet and within minute they are toasty warm. I absolutely LOVE THEM!

This is where I purchased ours.

http://www.thecompanystore.com