Menu

Let's just say... (a puppy question)

So let's just say that your three little girls were begging for a little fluffy puppy for Christmas. What kind would you look for?

I know NOTHING about small dog breeds. We've always had medium to large dogs: a lab, a border collie, and a beagle mix. I don't mind grooming needs, but I would like to get one that doesn't shed much, if at all, because my middle dd is allergic to most dogs. We are home more often than not, so attention will not be a problem. BTW, are all little dogs yappy and hard to house train?

Side note: I used to be a die-hard shelter/rescue organization supporter. But over the last few months, I have seen a lot of things from our local shelter and local rescue organization, that I will not get into here, that have made me really angry. If I do get the girls a puppy, I will most like go through a breeder this time. I prefer not to be lectured on that, please. Thank you!

My mother had a pom who was great with the grandkids. She even came for a visit to my house for a few weeks once when my older son was just one. We didn't know they weren't supposed to be good with kids either. By the time someone told us, she was loving several grandbabies. She was great little dog, and I've always thought I might get one someday. She was yappy though. Papillons are fun too, although I don't know about their reputation with littles. They are great to watch doing agility!

And yes small dogs are harder to house break and are yappy.

:iagree: absolutely true.

I had large dogs all my life and then I got a rat terrier. I can email you a picture of her if you'd like. She's the BEST little dog I've ever seen. Truly! She is honestly like a big dog in a little body. I remember my boys crying when they were younger because she'd steal all their balls and frisbees. She's SO much fun. She is almost 15 now, and she truly has been the easiest dog I've ever owned until now. Because she's so old, she's starting to have accidents. We have diapers for her.:D

I also have a dachsund. He's the biggest PITA and the most WONDERFUL dog I could imagine owning! He loves to go snowmobiling, sledding, four wheeling, kayaking. He will float on a boogy board in the pool for hours with us all inside. He's not great around kids outside our family, but he's AMAZING with our family. dd8 used to hurt him so now I keep her at my side ALL the time (about 5 years now) and he only nipped at her once, YEARS ago. She was awful to him but she was a part of our family so he was wonderful with her. My older daughter dresses him up, pushes him around in the stroller, etc. He really is SO awesome! In the winter he sleeps along my back and keeps me SO warm!

Those are the only two small dogs I've ever owned so I can't tell you about other breeds.

I like to rescue/adopt all my animals but my next dog will be coming from a breeder, and I want my next potbelly to be a baby. I've never had a piglet potbelly!!!!!

We have had several long-haired miniature dachshunds over the years. We also have a dameranian (dachshund/pomeranian cross I did not make up the name its a designer breed now). Dachshunds do tend to be stubborn and can be difficult to train but they are often very affectionate. They are also a little sturdier than some small breeds as long as you are careful of their backs. Within that one breed however we have had a wide range of personalities and yappiness.

A list of non-shedding dogs is here:

http://www.dogbreedinfo.com/lightshedders.htm

We have a dog that does not shed, even a little bit. Like all (or most) soft-coated, non-shedding dogs, he has to be combed every day. Otherwise that non-shedding hair gets tiny mats in it, which over time will become a huge problem. It takes about 10-15 minutes a day. A few times I have let a week lapse and then it takes me 1.5 - 2 hours to comb Aidan. That is not fun.

Also, Aidan's hair absorbs water and everything clings to it. If he gets muddy, it takes 4 refills of the tub to bathe him. If he gets into burs or seed pods, it takes awhile to get them out. After one walk in the woods, he had over 100 tiny green seed pods throughout his hair. The poodle owner at dog school complained about those, too. Any non-shedding, single-coated breed with a soft coat is like this, IIRC.

I suggest a Miniature Poodle from a reputable breeder. http://www.dogbreedinfo.com/miniaturepoodle.htm Or a Bichon Frise http://www.dogbreedinfo.com/bichonfrise.htm . Or a wire fox terrier http://www.dogbreedinfo.com/wirefoxterrier.htm .

Actually, I bet you'd love a SCWT, like Aidan. They are a whole lot of fun, love to play, and divide their attention evenly among members of the household. (Aidan follows me around but that is because my kids are teens and don't pay much attention to him.) http://www.dogbreedinfo.com/softcoatedwheatenterrier.htm . The females should weigh 30-35 lbs., males 35-40 lbs. The dog shown in the picture at the link does not have a show cut, btw. There are other ways to cut their hair so they look like terriers. Aidan doesn't have the proper cut either (yet).

My concern with a terrier is whether it would get along with cats. Aidan has not been tested with cats because DD is very allergic to them, and my cat owning friend is not willing to experiment with Aidan. OTOH, his prey drive does not appear to be very high. I have twice pointed out rodents to him and he ignored them in favor of taking apart a computer mouse and digging a hole.

Edited by RoughCollie

I think a miniature poodle or a Bichon would be great. We have two standard poodles and they are great with my kids. I wouldn't recommend a toy poodle for really young kids, but a miniature would be a good size. You can train dogs not to bark incessantly so I don't think that should be a consideration. My male standard was quite a barker, but we trained him to quiet down when told.

Good luck,

Suzanne

We have a Boston Terrier puppy and she is the best dog ever! Boston Terriers were bred to be companion dogs and are known to be great with kids. Annie certainly is! She lets my six year old carry her around for hours every day. She's small, but not fragile. She has plenty of energy to play, but doesn't require much exercise. She rarely barks and hardly sheds at all, both traits which are common to the breed. Her only flaw is the farting. LOL Also common to the breed. I doubt we will ever own another breed of dog, she's that great. And she's kind of cute, too.

CIMG1516.JPG

CIMG1484.JPG

I think a miniature poodle or a Bichon would be great. We have two standard poodles and they are great with my kids. I wouldn't recommend a toy poodle for really young kids, but a miniature would be a good size. You can train dogs not to bark incessantly so I don't think that should be a consideration. My male standard was quite a barker, but we trained him to quiet down when told.

Good luck,

Suzanne

:iagree:

I have a standard that I love dearly also!

Anne

We have always kept small dogs and my parents do too. We have 3 papillions ATM, 2 are great with the kids, 1 not so much but she's getting old. We also have chi who hides from the boys and a chi cross who loves all the kids, so..:confused:

Every dog is different, it's hard to choose based entirely on breed as I have seen a huge variation of "tolerance" of kids within the same breed. My dogs either arrived before we had kids or through re-homing but if I were to choose a family friendly small breed I would choose from shih tzu, king charles spaniel or boston terrier (this one is on my doggy wish list:D)

I have never had a problem house breaking my dogs. My chi came to us at 2 years old having been rescued from a puppy farm where she lived outside. We house trained her, it took a good few months but we did it.:001_smile:

We have a Boston Terrier puppy and she is the best dog ever! Boston Terriers were bred to be companion dogs and are known to be great with kids.

I agree. My brother has had Bostons for 20 years. They are great dogs - good with kids - not fussy. While they are small, they don't really act like small dogs. If we didn't get Bear, our labradoodle, we probably would have looked for a Boston.

Welsh Corgi! Hands down fav for families with kids who want a medium sized dog. Very friendly, sheds but can be controlled with good grooming, great attitude, really sweet.

Oh my - have you seen today's Daily Puppy? She is absolutely darling! She's a mix, though - might be hard to find another like her, but goodness, even my dh saw her picture and commented on how adorable she is.

I've heard good things about Corgis, but I don't know much about them. I had a Bichon/Poodle mix and he was a great little dog; he did very well with my kids, even when they were tiny. OTOH, I would hesitate to recommend a Cocker - I'm sure there are Cockers who are good with children, but mine was terrified of them, and started growling once my toddlers were mobile. I rehomed her to a home without children.

If you are concerned, you might consider contacting a specific breed rescue. Ask them if they have any adults whose temperaments have been evaluated and determined to be compatible with a household with young children.

We got our dachsund mix from a local vet when he was a wee puppy... He was abandoned and the local vet knew I was looking for a dog for my youngest, who was 8 at the time. He has been the BEST!!! He was hard to housebreak and will still potty sometimes in the middle of the night... but NOT if I take him for a walk before I go to bed... Sigh. I am the one who should be trained better! Anyway, he is SO sweet. He is adorable.

Just my experience...

I have never had a small dog, but my in-laws have always had small dogs and they have never been friendly with my children - who love animals. Our family has always had large dogs - lab, several German Shepherds, etc. I love them, but they have a lot of energy and require attention.

There are several quizzes online that you can take which recommend 3-5 breeds to you. When our last shepherd died, all five of us took a quiz independent of the others. The only dog which was on all our list - you guessed it - a German Shepherd. Maybe, you could all something like this. It asked questions about size, your energy level, your interests, etc

Good luck,

ReneeR

I agree with those that recommended Boston terriers or pugs. We have a pug, he's the same age as my youngest, we got him about 3 months before my son came. He's excellent with kids. Pugs are the clowns of the dog world, they were bred to be companions so they want to make there owners happy. That's their goal in life. They are also very sturdy, he's a lot of dog in a little package.

I was raised with a female miniature poodle. We got that dog when I was 5 and my brother was 3. The dog never weighed more than 15 lbs. I used to dress this dog in baby clothes and feed it out of a bottle. It was EXTREMELY kid tolerant and sweet.

Our mini poodle is awesome. She is soo sweet. I have lots of kids over all the time; everyone loves her. People ask to dog sit her for us when we go out of town.

She does get a little yappy when allowed. She will listen to my command to "hush" in an instant and can sit while I answer the door; I just have to tell her to. She wants to please me. She is so loyal and so smart.

I groom her and keep her cut short all over. Many people have to ask what kind of dog she is.

She is very playful. My kids love to run ahead on a trail and hide from her so that she has to find them. It is so cute.

Good luck.