Menu

how do you organize shoes (entryway)?

The shoe pile is driving me nuts! We don't have a separate mudroom or entryway. There's a small area in front of the front door with linoleum, and that's it. Right now everybody tosses their shoes under the end table next to the front door. I'd like those shoes out of my sight but I don't know where else to put them. We have a very small coat closet, but it's an odd shape (it's over a set of stairs and the floor is raised), and I haven't come up with a good way to store shoes there.

If you don't have a separate mudroom or coat closet large enough for the shoe pile, how do you store/organize everyone's shoes?

What! Shoes can be organized???? Who knew?!! :D

Mostly, I woudl prefer they go barefoot and then I wouldn't have the shoe mess, but it's 32 degrees outside so that isn't going to happen...sigh...I've never, ever been able to get a handle on it because of the way our back entry is made. We renovated a church into a house and since it's brick and stone, went with the entryways as is and well, in 1898 they just weren't all that well thought out!

Now, that the roof is done and we no longer have any leaks in the front entry, we'll be able to remodel that and replaced the ceiling. Then we can use the front entry which being the main entrance to the church building, has a love, huge coat closet. We will have some shoe racks and shelves inside that spot and plenty of place to hang coats and wet mittens/gloves, so I'm looking forward to the day when organization is more than just a dream! :001_smile:

Faith

The shoe pile is driving me nuts! We don't have a separate mudroom or entryway. There's a small area in front of the front door with linoleum, and that's it. Right now everybody tosses their shoes under the end table next to the front door. I'd like those shoes out of my sight but I don't know where else to put them. We have a very small coat closet, but it's an odd shape (it's over a set of stairs and the floor is raised), and I haven't come up with a good way to store shoes there.

If you don't have a separate mudroom or coat closet large enough for the shoe pile, how do you store/organize everyone's shoes?

Buckets or baskets, lidded or not. Depends on what you have around the house or what you want to spend. One for each or a separate one for the boys and girls. Or separate by kids/adults. Or boys/girls/adults. Lids are nice for hiding things but also add one more step to the process of actually getting the shoes *in* the bucket. I have an area about 5 paces from the front door where I have a bucket for each kid. I have a shelf so I can have two rows. There isn't room for the adult shoes or for another shelf. So our shoes are lined up neatly on a rug right by the front door. Well, the idea is for them to be neat. :D

We have 3 kids; they each have a basket in which they put shoes, hats, gloves, etc. DH built a bench with 3 cubbies that fit the baskets we had. It's probably 3 feet long. We had a wall that was just about the right size right across from the washer/dryer. It's a tight fit to do laundry with the bench there, but it does work. Over the bench we hung 3 double hooks for jackets and backpacks.

Now if I can figure out what to do with Dh's and my shoes & jackets, I'd be golden.

Apparently, according to the Fly Lady, you are supposed to be wearing those shoes!

We have a storage bench near the front door. The seat forms a lid to a storage area in which hidden chaos resides.

Flylady apparently doesn't have bedrooms in the basement (bedrooms containing small sleeping children who wake at the slightest noise overhead)!

I need this. What's the deal with the small top drawer?

it's great too! we put all the car keys and things we will need for the day in there. DH puts his belt and wallet there so he isn't fumbling for them in the morning! no more searching for keys! Lots of exclamation marks!!!! Can you tell i LOVE this????:lol:

I required family members to put their shoes in their own closets/bedrooms, even if they had to take them off at the front door.

If the shoes were actually muddy, then they were taken off at the front door and hand-carried to the laundry room to be dried or washed off and dried.

My kids only keep 1-2 pairs of "everyday" shoes in the porch. All the others stay in their bedrooms. For the ones in the porch, I bought a set of small, low shelves that go right below the coat hooks. On the shelves, I painted kid-sized footprints where the shoes should go, and my kids are responsible for making sure their shoes are off the floor and on the footprints.

We have a small shoe shelf that ONLY the play shoes go in. Then I have a basket in the entry closet for ONLY the going out nice shoes.

Also in the entry closet is a bin of ONLY boots. Up high in the same closet is a bin of ONLY sandals. The boots and sandals bins switch with the seasons.

When we're going out I take out that bin, in which those shoes all get put back into once we get home. I was sick of rummaging through looking for nice shoes that fit each child in our haste to get out the door on time.

Might I add, we had 101 pairs of shoes floating around the house before I started this method!

I tried the wicker basket idea for a couple years and honestly it was the ugliest site when you first stepped into the house.

Now we have something similar to this and I LOVE it!! The best part was...it was only a couple dollars at Goodwill :)

AAAAApfYIvYAAAAAACKCgA.jpg?v=1169086400000

The kids are allowed 1 PAIR of shoes EACH on the rack at a time.

we have this

http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/40216908/

I can't express how much i love it! We got it a couple of weeks ago and it was a pain to put together but it rocks!!!! Everytime i use it i smile!!!!:D

I've been wanting one of those for quite awhile! I will definitely buy one if the house we move to has a proper space for it.

For now, we have one of these - a "Seville Classics 3-Tier Iron Shoe Utility Rack", which I like well enough, but I wish I didn't have to see the shoes. I also wish my children knew how to put them ON the rack - seems they only ever manage to put them near it, which is almost inevitably followed by our Golden Retriever pup dispersing them throughout the house. (He won't bother the shoes if they're on the rack - the rack apparently has magical shoe protection properties, or something.)