Menu

Does this dog breed exist?

1. Small--about the size of a Jack Russell (though I'm flexible on this, provided criteria 2-6 are met :D)

2. Short sleek coat (a must, I have allergies)

3. Good with kids

4. Easy to train and house-break

5. Not hyperactive or destructive

6. NOT A POODLE (no offense to poodle lovers out there. . . can't stand them)

Is this a total pipe dream, or does something like this exist? My son would LOVE to have a dog, and I think it would be good for the kids for a variety of reasons.

Edited by LemonPie

How about a cat? ;)

No? Okay, how about the cat of the dog world, the Italian Greyhound?

EDIT: The video recommends the dog for couples without kids -- but this is only because if you have a tiny greyhound puppy, you don't want a 2 year old throwing them across the room or sitting on them. But if your children are taught how to handle animals properly, this wouldn't be a problem (and this precaution would be the same for all small dogs).

Edited by Skadi

Beagle?

Or a corgi? We have a corgi and he fits all those characteristics except a short coat. He sheds a lot.

I've looked into Beagles' date=' but apparently not so great with kids and they are infamous diggers and escapees.

I just looked up Corgis. Super cute! The shedding is what concerns me though. . . this would be an indoor pet, and I have pretty severe allergies.

How about a cat? ;)

My kids would be beyond thrilled with a cat, but I just can't live with them. I've tried twice and by about day 2 or 3 I'm completely miserable.

Hmmm maybe I should just go for one of those Japanese robot dogs :D Think my kids would notice? LOL

1. Small--about the size of a Jack Russell (though I'm flexible on this, provided criteria 2-6 are met :D)

3. Good with kids

Is this a total pipe dream, or does something like this exist? My son would LOVE to have a dog, and I think it would be good for the kids for a variety of reasons. We are TTC and ideally I'd like something that I could have fully housebroken before I'm huge or dealing with a newborn.

I think that DOG exists, but there is no guarantee you'll find it just because you picked the "right" breed. KWIM? When you get a puppy it could go either way and there is no crystal ball.

I have a greyhound mix. He meets criteria 2-6. He's tall, but so slight that he takes up very little space when he curls up to sleep. Still, he's neurotic and afraid of everything. The dog is WEIRD, but he's not destructive, housebroke himself, plays with the kids, is an excellent alarm dog, and is definitely part of the family in an odd-cousin sort of way. I'd have a hard time recommending him to anyone, but we love him. :glare:

I think that DOG exists, but there is no guarantee you'll find it just because you picked the "right" breed. KWIM? When you get a puppy it could go either way and there is no crystal ball.

I have a greyhound mix. He meets criteria 2-6. He's tall, but so slight that he takes up very little space when he curls up to sleep. Still, he's neurotic and afraid of everything. The dog is WEIRD, but he's not destructive, housebroke himself, plays with the kids, is an excellent alarm dog, and is definitely part of the family in an odd-cousin sort of way. I'd have a hard time recommending him to anyone, but we love him. :glare:

LOL! Yeah, I get what you're saying. I'd definitely consider an adult dog, but then the fact that I don't know its history concerns me, especially since I have small kids (ages 3, 6, 8).

My parents have had two mini-daschunds which I love and which have been amazing with my kids, but they are so hard to housebreak. Their current dog is 7 yrs old and still has the occasional accident. And we had a Chihuahua for 8 yrs that was never completely housebroken. In both cases, maybe it was just trainer failure :) but it's my understanding that both breeds are known for it as well.

Bichon Frise. They do not have a short coat but they do not shed and are a good breed for someone who sufferes from allergies. They tend to be very smart and friendly as well as easy to train. The ones I have known have all been good with children.

I have known three full Bichons and two Bichon crosses and if I was ever to get a small dog (I much prefer large dogs) I would get a Bichon.

Bichon Frise, Border Terrier, Cairn Terrier.

Maltese. Even though these have a good bit of hair, Bichons are supposed to be really good little dogs for families and allergy sufferers.

These were listed in our dog book as low-shedding and better for allergy sufferers. Don't assume, spend time with the breed to check for allergic reaction, the book says.

Pug.

Beagle?

Or a corgi? We have a corgi and he fits all those characteristics except a short coat. He sheds a lot.

Um, no beagles...they shed like maniacs, they dig, they like to run should they escape, though the ones I know are very friendly. We have one and love her, but man does she shed and so do other little beagles I know.

I have a mixed breed and she seems to be what you are looking for, but it'll be hard to find one like her. :tongue_smilie: Most foster dogs are socialized, house trained and with them being grown, you can see how they shed. You want a short thin coat. I will tell you though, that no matter what you get, if you keep it inside, your allergies will bother you. There really are no 'truely' hypoallerginic dogs/cats. Some just shed their skin and hair a lot less than others. Keeping them bathed, brushed and the house cleaned regularly will help.

I have a mixed breed and she seems to be what you are looking for, but it'll be hard to find one like her. :tongue_smilie: Most foster dogs are socialized, house trained and with them being grown, you can see how they shed. You want a short thin coat. I will tell you though, that no matter what you get, if you keep it inside, your allergies will bother you. There really are no 'truely' hypoallerginic dogs/cats. Some just shed their skin and hair a lot less than others. Keeping them bathed, brushed and the house cleaned regularly will help.

I seem to have much less of an issue with dogs than with cats, thankfully. I have zero problems with my parents mini-dach (he's stayed with us for several days at a time when they've been out of town) and I didn't have any problems with our Chi.

Where would I go about finding foster dogs? That sounds like an ideal solution.

I would get something that's mixed with a miniature poodle. That way, you might not get the look of the poodle (I don't like how they look either), but you could get their temperament (good with kids), their brains (they are usually very smart and trainable), and their hypoallergenic coat (very little to no shedding).

Most dogs with short coats are the ones that shed the worst. We have two short coated dogs....a Jack Russell and a Chihuahua....those two shed something terrible. Especially the Jack.

We just got a toy fox terrier puppy. We've only had her for a week and a half or so, and she's just turned nine weeks. She's been wonderful with the kids--and all the neighbor kids too. She's very small, though, and you wouldn't want to put a puppy that small with a toddler or a rough child. I can't remember how old your kids are. She'll probably be about 8 pounds when she grows up, which is a little large for the breed. Very short coat, like eyelash length. She's already catching on to potty training, though there are still some accidents. She does have a couple of brief hyperactive periods every day, for five or ten minutes or so, and that is the only time she barks or is overly hyper. I'm told it's "the puppy crazies" and she should grow out of it and settle down. All puppies chew things, but she hasn't been particularly destructive, and mostly sticks with her chew toys. It doesn't hurt that we have a little exercise pen to which she is confined when not closely supervised. She is a smart little imp and I'm sure would be able to find lots of trouble to get into if we just turned her loose in the house. I love that she is a happy, energetic playmate for my dd, but also loves to just curl up in my lap while I watch tv. She's learning "sit", and "down", and "off", and "go get the ball" pretty quickly, but she does have a little bit of an impish independent streak, and will sometimes flaunt the fact that she is NOT doing what I said, and ha ha ha! And she likes to grab her collar in her mouth when I go to put it on, and laugh at me with a little twinkle in her eye. Quite the little personality. Definitely a cutie pie, though.

My sister has min-pins and they're sweet little dogs. I don't think I'd recommend them if you don't want hyper, though. Most of the time they're fine, but if they don't get walked enough they go a bit nuts.

I love my pug although he does shed a decent amount and wouldn't fit your not hyperactive criteria, at least when he was a puppy. He's 6 now and a giant slug. What I love is that he's not fragile as far as small dogs go. He could deal with the rough and tumble my youngest son dished out (they are the same age)

He's my shadow too, he follows me where ever I go and was pretty easy to housebreak. His main goal in life is to be as close to me as possible and keep me company.

A boston terrier would be a close 2nd, but I've never actually owned one just known a few.

OP you have just described my dog. She is nothing short of perfect. She is a Irish Jack Russell. She's short about 11 inches, short hair, sweet, sweet, sweet and very, very obedient. She is the BEST dog I have ever had! She listens better than most kids I know and really and truly doesn't do anything wrong.

A friend of mine has an English Jack Russell. They specifically got the English type because they are supposed to be a more mellow variety...and the dog they have has been great, not hyper at all. The English type is also a bit shorter in stature. I know it's not a lot of info, but maybe enough to spark your interest enough to research it. I don't normally like little dogs, but I love this particular English Jack Russell, so sweet and well behaved.

We have a cavachon (bichon and cavalier king charles spaniel mix) and he is the BEST dog!! He does shed some (I believe due to the cavalier), but I have pretty severe allergies too and don't notice any issues really. He doesn't chew (on anything), doesn't get into things, doesn't bark, and just LOVES to cuddle. GREAT dog!

OP you have just described my dog. She is nothing short of perfect. She is a Irish Jack Russell. She's short about 11 inches, short hair, sweet, sweet, sweet and very, very obedient. She is the BEST dog I have ever had! She listens better than most kids I know and really and truly doesn't do anything wrong.

A friend of mine has an English Jack Russell. They specifically got the English type because they are supposed to be a more mellow variety...and the dog they have has been great, not hyper at all. The English type is also a bit shorter in stature. I know it's not a lot of info, but maybe enough to spark your interest enough to research it. I don't normally like little dogs, but I love this particular English Jack Russell, so sweet and well behaved.

Interesting. . . I think Jack Russells are adorable, but I've heard that they can be really hyper and destructive if they aren't exercised A LOT.

3. Good with kids

Is this a total pipe dream, or does something like this exist? My son would LOVE to have a dog, and I think it would be good for the kids for a variety of reasons. We are TTC and ideally I'd like something that I could have fully housebroken before I'm huge or dealing with a newborn.

We just adopted a 2yo lhasa apso mix, and he is perfect! He meets all the criteria except #2. He was born with a lot of hair, but we keep it trimmed and short. He doesn't shed at all.

Maybe a miniature Schnauzer?

My aunt and uncle have always had them and they were mellow, well trained, and great with kids.

:iagree:

We have a miniature Schnauzer, and we love him. I have severe allergies, and he doesn't bother me at all. He is also great with kids, was easy to train, and is a pretty smart little guy. He's also a really sturdy dog. He even goes jogging with my dh sometimes--usually only a couple of miles.

Schnauzers do require regular grooming to keep the schnauzer "look", but they do not shed.

We had a beagle years ago, and he shed terribly! He was also a barker, ran away every time something caught his attention, and was virtually impossible to house train. We ended up giving him to a person who lived on an acreage.

Boston terriers.

:iagree: We have a Boston Terrier puppy and she meets every single one of your criteria. We got her when our newborn was only a few weeks old. Everyone thought we were making a huge mistake but she is such an easy dog! I doubt we'll ever have another breed, this one is just too perfect for us. And she is cute. :D

CIMG1484.JPG

CIMG1516.JPG

To the OP, Find a local rescue and go from there. Or your local humane society. The internet works for locating rescues in your area but if you have a good humane society, they should know of reputable rescues or have people fostering for them. It's a better situation than having the dog in the pound. Being fostered, they will know much more about the behavior of the dog in daily life.

My parents have had two mini-daschunds which I love and which have been amazing with my kids, but they are so hard to housebreak. Their current dog is 7 yrs old and still has the occasional accident. And we had a Chihuahua for 8 yrs that was never completely housebroken. In both cases, maybe it was just trainer failure :) but it's my understanding that both breeds are known for it as well.

wow, I did not know this... it might have put me off my boy. Lucky it didn't and we didn't have any problems.

To the OP, Find a local rescue and go from there. Or your local humane society. The internet works for locating rescues in your area but if you have a good humane society, they should know of reputable rescues or have people fostering for them. It's a better situation than having the dog in the pound. Being fostered, they will know much more about the behavior of the dog in daily life.

Thanks! I did some poking around on the internet this afternoon and found quite a few interesting pups up for adoption. One of them is 4 mo Jack Russell mix who has been in a program called Pups on Parole, where they have inmates train and socialize them (inmate firefighters who live in a camp). They claim she's housebroken and responds to basic commands. Anyone familiar with this program?

I may have missed this - but FYI - dog allergies are not from the hair. They are from the dander. There are hardly any dogs (none I can think of) that have less dander.

Do you have a dog allergy - or just allergies in general???

I don't think I have a specific dog allergy, and as I said earlier, I've been fine with a couple of short-hair breeds. I definitely react to cats. I'll have to pull out the results of my scratch testing and see what it says.

JRT's are known to be wild but in a fun way...i guess. Mine though is an exception to the rule. She never leaves my side and is very obedient. She is very loyal to me and she reminds me that her world revolves around me every second of her life. I have never known a dog like her! Remember though she's an Irish JRT and I've heard that they are much more well behaved than the "regular" JRT's. If you can find a puppy like my "wee wee", then you will have found the perfect dog! I've heard of that prison program before and have heard lots of really great things about it.

Whether or not you are allergic to dogs (dander, fur, whatever) remember that the dog goes out and when he comes back in he brings the pollen, mold, dust, etc. with him.

If you have environmental or seasonal allergies, you may want to think about frequent baths for doggie. You might want to consider short furred beasts - either naturally short or groomed short.

We have a large poodle mix. When his fur is closely trimmed he dries much faster and brings in less (visible) stuff from outside.

Sandra

JRT's are known to be wild but in a fun way...i guess. Mine though is an exception to the rule. She never leaves my side and is very obedient. She is very loyal to me and she reminds me that her world revolves around me every second of her life. I have never known a dog like her! Remember though she's an Irish JRT and I've heard that they are much more well behaved than the "regular" JRT's. If you can find a puppy like my "wee wee", then you will have found the perfect dog! I've heard of that prison program before and have heard lots of really great things about it.

I've seen a few JRT that had problems. My dad's dog did, which was his fault, not hers, because he didn't know how to deal with a dog that was so smart and had such a dominant personality.

A friend of mine who has a farm also has an all white JRT which I think it probably got some weird brain function issues, he's smart but very aggressive. Likes to run after the horses and trucks despite being kicked on several occasions when grabbing a tail.

Others are nice, but I would be so careful about getting one.

Maybe a miniature Schnauzer?

My aunt and uncle have always had them and they were mellow, well trained, and great with kids.

This is what I was thinking also. They do have to be groomed consistently though. We had our groomed every 6 wks by a lady that did it in her home. She was great with them and not to expensive. It can get to be pretty spendy with some groomers.

We had 3. The oldest wasn't the greatest with kids. She didn't dislike them but they made her very nervous, especially babies crying or fussing. The middle one was great with kids of any kind, shape, or age. I believe the youngest had been abused as she DID NOT LIKE BOYS. Now she did like the boys that I baby sat for and our youngest son but as a whole didn't like them.

One other thing about Schnauzers is they can be pretty yappy.

I loved our Schnauzers though. The oldest lived to be 16 1/2.

Did I mention that my Lhasa mix doesn't bark? Oh, my I am in heaven. The dog is quiet, it doesn't shed, it plays with the kids, and it loves to cuddle. It's 15lbs, so it doesn't eat a lot or poop a lot. He is smart, too.

I NEVER even slightly considered an inside dog, but when this little guy showed up at our back door, well.....he was just too darn perfect.