Menu

Mark Twain or Jane Austen?

Which do you choose?  

1. 1. Which do you choose?

• Mark Twain
    • Jane Austen
    • other?

Pick a side!

I haven't any right to criticize books, and I don't do it except when I hate them. I often want to criticize Jane Austen, but her books madden me so that I can't conceal my frenzy from the reader; and therefore I have to stop every time I begin. Every time I read 'Pride and Prejudice,' I want to dig her up and hit her over the skull with her own shin-bone.

Jane Austen's books, too, are absent from this library. Just that one omission alone would make a fairly good library out of a library that hadn't a book in it.

both by Mark Twain.

I would much rather read Austen than Twain. However, that might be unfair to Twain because when I think of him I think of Tom Sawyer and Huckleberry Finn which I despise reading because of wading through all the old southern accent. I feel like I'm trying to read a book written in a foreign language that I faintly know. It's exhausting and annoying.

I had to warm up to Austen and then found I loved her. It was not love at first sight though.

Meh...

Personally, I'd rather read Austen than Twain. Maybe Twain was force fed too much in school...

I feel this way about Dickens. A writer I greatly respect recently wrote an article praising Great Expectations as being the best book ever. I had to force myself to not let that affect my opinion of the author personally. :) I'd be happy to never read Dickens again. I haven't tried A Tale of Two Cities yet, however. :)

I didn't read either until the last year or two and haven't finished the first Jane Austen book yet. I am reading Sense and Sensibility. It is pretty boring and not keeping my attention or I would be close to finished with it by now. I liked Tom Sawyer well enough to read Huck Finn. I didn't like Huck Finn quite as well, but still enjoyed it. I then read Puddenhead Wilson and it was decent. I wouldn't mind reading more of Mark Twain.

I feel this way about Dickens. A writer I greatly respect recently wrote an article praising Great Expectations as being the best book ever. I had to force myself to not let that affect my opinion of the author personally. :) I'd be happy to never read Dickens again. I haven't tried A Tale of Two Cities yet, however. :)

There are things I love about Dickens--the wit, the irony . . . but I really, REALLY wish he had lived in a different era and hadn't published his books serially in newspapers/magazines. You gotta put on your waders to get through most of Dickens!

Twain.

Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates. – Life on the Mississippi

I was thinking of Twain today as I dug out and wore my son's skull ring that was given to him by a pirate. It was a pretend pirate, but he looked the part.

Austen? :glare:

But I was never very girly, I would have rather been a pirate than been skilled at drawing and pianoforte. :lol: And I'm from Missouri.

I *heart* Austen, but I also lived several years in Hannibal, MO and so feel a unique connection to Twain.

I'm reading The Prince and the Pauper right now...and I read Sense and Sensibility just a few weeks ago. Both are staying firmly on my shelf.

If you chose "other" you are incorrect.

It is what you choose when you can't possibly choose.:D

I believe the best answer would be to paraphrase Jane Austen herself: "He does not deserve the compliment of rational opposition." :tongue_smilie:

:lol:

I despise reading because of wading through all the old southern accent. I feel like I'm trying to read a book written in a foreign language that I faintly know. It's exhausting and annoying.

I hate reading dialect. I had the same trouble with Wuthering Heights.

Does anyone know if these classics have been published without the dialect? Just translated into plain English? It would make reading them so much easier and more enjoyable. I have to wonder if that's a reason that the classics have been dropped in so many high school English classes.

If not, maybe someone should...

Both. Depends on the mood.

:iagree:

Everyone must go further afield than just Tom Sawyer and Huck Finn. His book on Joan of Arc is brilliant, also Puddin' Head Wilson. When you get into his even more obscure stuff, you get a better sense of his sarcastic wit. I imagine he offended quite a few people in his day.

Jane is a little more gentle with her sarcasm. There is always the love story to soften the blow.

Ack! Mark Twain and Jane Austen are apples and oranges-I can' compare them.

Of course Mark Twain didn't like her writings-most men wouldn't.

I love both! Both of my kids adore Huckleberry Finn and I have my well worn copy of Tom Sawyer that my parents gave me when I was a little girl. The Prince and the Pauper is fantastic!

Jane Austen's books are the ones I want to curl up with on a rainy day. I've read them all and they are comfort reading for me. The story of Pride and Prejudice is so classic and we can learn much from it. Admittedly, all of her books kind of run together. They are very similiar but each unique in it's own right.

I adore Dickens but he does get a little too wordy at times-he was paid by the word. :001_smile: We read A Christmas Carol every year together and I love it more each time. A Tale of Two Cities is a little hard to wade through for the first half but the rest is superb! The ending brought me to tears. Oliver Twist, David Copperfield, etc. His characters and stories are so memorable. Maybe that's because of his wordy descriptions though.;)

I believe the best answer would be to paraphrase Jane Austen herself: "He does not deserve the compliment of rational opposition." :tongue_smilie:

:lol:

You guys are cracking me up!

I can appreciate Austen. I *finally* made it through one of her books last year...Pride & Prejudice. It was well done. I can see why people like her. She's not my style, though.

Twain...I LOVE Huck Finn, but other than that...well, he's not really my style, either. Except that he's my *style,* if that makes sense. I love southern American lit.

I was going to pick Twain, despite my feelings for the dearth at my library right now & the pain it brings me to imagine a "library" w/out a book :lol: but then I saw "other." So I guess I'm "wrong." :D

I hate reading dialect. I had the same trouble with Wuthering Heights.

Does anyone know if these classics have been published without the dialect? Just translated into plain English? It would make reading them so much easier and more enjoyable. I have to wonder if that's a reason that the classics have been dropped in so many high school English classes.

If not, maybe someone should...

:svengo: