Menu

Alternative to Veggie Tales?

We went to Chick filet the other week and the kid's meal had an audio story from veggie tales. My kids are seriously liking it but we are not christian so I was wondering if there was anything like that minus the religion. I like the message it is teaching.

Thanks!

Maybe:

Mr. Rogers

Kai Lan (focuses more on character / handling feelings)

"Adventures from the Book of Virtues" : Courage, Honesty, Friendship, Work. There is also a Faith one that has more of a Christian focus.

Berenstain Bears

Yo Gabba Gabba usually has positive value messages (such as sharing, not hurting other people, stuff like that)

Funny, I'm sitting here with a few of the smaller Guheerts watching VeggieTales as I write! We're Christians, so it is not a problem for us.

I'm sorry, but I don't know of any audio stories (and I didn't know that VeggieTales was available in this form, though I should have figured), but I will say that if you are OK with TV, then QUBO broadcasts a lot of shows like this constantly. Some of their shows are Christian including VeggieTales, but many are secular or more neutral. One of our favorites is The Book of Virtues.

I think they have some of the Silly Songs with Larry on DVD alone, not with the shows.
They have a CD of just Silly Songs on Amazon.
Our kids LOVE Silly Songs with Larry! But given OP was interested in the message in the VeggieTales, I'm wondering if anyone has been able to detect a message in ANY of the Silly Songs? Sorry, but I've never quite been able to detect any! :tongue_smilie:

:lol: i did not really "get" that there were so many movies and such. I had heard of them but avoided it b/c of the cc but when we got the audio book and the kids wanted to hear it .....we tried it and they :heart: it :lol: and now it is on repeat. It is a really cute story about not being selfish and thinking of other people. That is a wonderful message and I would love to get more (though not necessarily from a fast food restaurant and I am thinking Veggie Tales is more of a TV thing?) if it weren't for the cc. So I was hoping for the same thing minus that :lol: I will try out some of those movies though, thank you!

We went to Chick filet the other week and the kid's meal had an audio story from veggie tales. My kids are seriously liking it but we are not christian so I was wondering if there was anything like that minus the religion. I like the message it is teaching.

Thanks!

I've gotten Jewish, Athiest, and Pagan friend's kids hooked on veggie tales. There is no replacement. Everyone should be forced to sing "Oh Where is my Hairbrush" when searching for a hairbrush.

I'd let them watch. Your library might have DVDs. You can look on netfix too. It's not serious religious ed. Most stories are morals tales that are fairly universal. Now, go watch Lord of the Beans and enjoy the Evil Spork Army!

I've gotten Jewish, Athiest, and Pagan friend's kids hooked on veggie tales. There is no replacement. Everyone should be forced to sing "Oh Where is my Hairbrush" when searching for a hairbrush.

I'd let them watch. Your library might have DVDs. You can look on netfix too. It's not serious religious ed. Most stories are morals tales that are fairly universal. Now, go watch Lord of the Beans and enjoy the Evil Spork Army!

"I gave it to the Peach. Because he's got HAIR."

The cartoons on tv versus the videos...

I think they are minus real Christian content... more character building info. Course.. the Religious part is stuff you might want your children to know... "Who built the ark?" kinda stuff... general cultural knowledge ;)

:iagree:

Great literature is full of biblical allusions. When I taught AP English I had several students who had a tough time with it because they had never heard any of the usual bible stories. I think veggie tales is a cute way to introduce stories to kids that they will need to be familiar with to be a culturally literate adult. They don't have to "believe" them but they should know them.

And my personal favorite veggie tale song... Pizza Angel. :D

:lol::lol::lol:

We ALWAYS sing the cheeseburger song when we go to a burger joint. lol

And let's not forget Barbara Manatee :tongue_smilie:

:lol::lol::lol:

We ALWAYS sing the cheeseburger song when we go to a burger joint. lol

And let's not forget Barbara Manatee :tongue_smilie:

How could I forget? When we adopted our daughter we changed the words and sang "oh baby Natalie..natalie...Natalie...you are the one for me, one for me, one for me..." :lol::lol::lol:

We saw Lord of the Beans on Netflix this morning- "They're half spoons, half forks!" :lol: That's good stuff! :lol: I have been giggling all morning.

And my 4 yo won't stop singing one of the songs from the little audio story about King George and his ducky :lol:

My kids LOVE Veggie Tales.

If it's any consolation, although we are Christian, my son has gotten nothing religious/spiritual out of the shows. He has, however, learned many, many silly songs.

With a few exceptions--mostly, I think, the holiday-themed shows, although there are others--the stories themselves tend to be free of religious and especially of specifically-Christian content. It's the intro and outro that frame the story religiously. So you could always fast-forward through the intros and outros.