Menu

Really liking some of our new curricula!!

No point to this post, really, but just felt like sharing how wonderful some of our new programs are working out.

First, I just can't say enough about MCT's literature program. Both the kids and I are just loving it. We've finished Alice and are going to start Peter Pan next. Do I remember correctly that he's doing another set? Any idea when that might be coming out?

Also enjoying MCT's Caesar's English!!

Next, Elemental Science biology. Like the layout of this program; easy for me, kids like it too.

Harmony Art & Music. Again, easy to implement and kids are really enjoying it. Love how it's tied into our study of ancients this year.

CW Homer. I was nervous about this one due to some posts on these boards, but once I hunkered down and spent some quality time with it, it's really not so difficult to execute. DD is enjoying it. Also love how this ties in very well with the Rex Barks diagramming book we used over the summer.

Anyone else really happy about a new program(s) for this year?

I am very happy with K12 Human Odyssey 1 (book only) and so is (ex)history hating DS. He now begs to do History first! I try to never "pre-buy" for the next year (we change our minds a lot!) but when Vol 2 came up on Amazon at Great $ I got it.

We also like MCT LA. The kids roll their eyes at some of the silly stories but they will ask me to read them again.

We're pretty happy with Math Mammoth as well. When I asked DS if he wanted to take a break from Geometry and do another subject, he said no, he was "kinda" having fun with it.

Not Logic stage material but DD is loving AHA Science (great $) and will ask to skip ahead just for fun.

This year is going so much better, so far very little curriculum hopping and very few complaints from the kiddos.

Edited by foxbridgeacademy
grrrr.... grammar

DS(11) loves Art of Argument and Philosophy for kids. Very very pleased with these for our logic this year.

Also WWS is a big hit. My writing-phobic ds is doing writing first.

Finally, Tarbuck Earth Science is so readable that he is reading it before breakfast.

Continuing with MCT and AoPS and SWR -- all very good. No flops yet.

Ruth in NZ

Everything we're doing this year (almost) is new. We're nearly 6 weeks in, so I asked the kids what they like/dislike. Their answer: the organization of it all. :001_huh:

10yo actually said he liked how much more efficient this year is running. :svengo:

So much for the shiny books. :lol:

We are not using anything new really this year. I think the biggest thing is that I have decided to make lapbooks a bigger part of our learning. The kids love them but for the last 2 years I have only done the occasional one. This year I decided to make them a more routine thing and the kids are loving it.

They are also loving the more unit study approach. For the younger two they are mainly doing unit studies with their math and phonics separate. The olders we are using unit studies to approach some parts of history and for pretty much all their science and they are really liking that.

My dd is loving Oxford World in Ancient Times. I was a little bit nervous about the amount of reading she has to do to stay on schedule with it, but sometimes I catch her reading history in bed after lights are supposed to be out. And sometimes when I call her in to narrate the chapter she just read, she replies, "Oops, I read three chapters." :lol:

My dd is loving Oxford World in Ancient Times. I was a little bit nervous about the amount of reading she has to do to stay on schedule with it, but sometimes I catch her reading history in bed after lights are supposed to be out. And sometimes when I call her in to narrate the chapter she just read, she replies, "Oops, I read three chapters." :lol:

:iagree: We're using OWAT, too, & I was worried about it being too much for 10yo, but every time he reads a ch, I either hear him giggling over something, or he comes up for air w/ a shining face & something he's GOT to tell me.

I'd planned for 8yo to read SOTW, but when she read 13ch instead of 1/2 of 1, I let her try OWAT, too. She's doing fine. We read about 1-2 ch/day, but we rotate which book we're reading from so that it's chronological.

I'd planned for 8yo to read SOTW, but when she read 13ch instead of 1/2 of 1, I let her try OWAT, too. She's doing fine. We read about 1-2 ch/day, but we rotate which book we're reading from so that it's chronological.

Maybe I should let my almost-8yo try reading them too. He has informed me that he is currently on the Roman Empire in SOTW (not at Hammurabi where he is supposed to be). He's also been complaining that there is "nothing" for him to read, which is ridiculous considering the number of kids books I have overflowing my bookshelves... Thanks for the idea! :D

Maybe I should let my almost-8yo try reading them too. He has informed me that he is currently on the Roman Empire in SOTW (not at Hammurabi where he is supposed to be). He's also been complaining that there is "nothing" for him to read, which is ridiculous considering the number of kids books I have overflowing my bookshelves... Thanks for the idea! :D

These still aren't slowing her down enough to be where we are--she's also read Mara, Daughter of the Nile, Golden Bull, Golden Goblet, some mummy book she found on the shelf, something about Columbus, & is starting on Swallows & Amazons. I can't remember if that's all or not, but yeah. She complains that there's nothing to read, too. :lol:

Hits for us this year:

ds5 - the activity board that I made for him which includes calendar, weather\temp, time, money, skip counting, number chart and flash cards that we are working on memorizing (landmarks, animals of the world, states, and space). If we don't start with this then he doesn't want to do anything else.

dd8 - Trail Guide to Learning\Paths of Exploration, CLE Reading, Time Travelers. We had a rocky start with the TG but once I stopped trying to tweak it and just followed it the way it was written I realized how complete it is and how easy it is to follow. CLE has exceeded my expectations. I thought I was getting a reading comprehension program but it is sooo much more than that. Time Travelers is just a whole lot of fun!

dd12 - TeachingTextbooks, CLE Reading, GeoMatters World Geography along with Eat Your Way Around the World and Geography through Art.

No more crying, whining or phobia with TT. She does a whole lesson daily without me reminding her. Considering all of our past struggles, TT has been a blessing. CLE Reading isn't one of dd12's favorites but it is so good for her. It stretches her thinking. The World Geography is a surprise favorite. Dd loves the creative outlet that the three books offer her.

dd13 - LLfLOTR, Notgrass Am. the Beautiful.

As her first introduction to literature LLfLOTR has been really great. It isn't too difficult at all for her to do on her own, the vocab has been great and she and I like the questions at the end for discussions. Am. the Beautiful has been another surprise. Dd13 doesn't like history but she has actually been enjoying this program. She likes the additional information about landmarks, daily life and interesting biographies. This is her first exposure to primary documents too and she has said that they do add an understanding that she'd not found in other programs. She likes how straightforward the routine of the lessons is and she finds the lit to be do-able even though she really dislikes historical fiction.

The new hits for us this year are Teaching Company lectures (especially those taught by Vandiver) for history and literature, and Khan Academy for math. Both of these are supplements to our current spines, but if they continue to go well, I will use them more prominently in future years.

We haven't used any new curriculum. Even though we are still using CW, we have moved on to Diogenes-Maxim and we are both liking this very much. Dd is happy to have more variety in the program. She said that in Homer it was the same 4 day cycle for both Homer A and B. With Maxim, every day is different and she loves this. I am enjoying Maxim because dd is able to be more independent with it. This takes a huge pile off of my shoulders.

We have also started using Teaching Company CD lectures and this is going very well also.

I totally love this year's curriculum choices. I'm coming off 3 years of using K12 with the virtual academy, so I feel so eclectic!

Math in Focus for the youngers

Teaching Textbooks for our 7th grader

Apologia Swimming Creatures for the youngers

Rainbow Science for our 7th grader

Church History (hand picked books by me - LOVE IT!)

IEW (which we haven't started yet, but I'm excited to try)

Sonlight Readers for the youngers

Church History Literature (hand picked by me - LOVE IT!)

Atelier Art (teaching with a co-op - LOVE IT!)

I'm so happy with our choices this year. It's going to be a great year!

Not so happy with Shurley Grammar. The manuals are visually challenging for me, so I'm probably switching back to FLL for the youngers, and just working with my oldest on grammar in context with her writing.

Sure! We have discovered that we really like the following programs which are all new to us this year:

Language Arts - We are really happy with WWS and although FLL is simple and we're just reviewing grammar for this school year, we like using FLL4 even though it is quite simple for dd. Using both of these is helping us utilize TWTM methods for language arts, and it is filling in a few gaps here and there that will help us as we progress with the next level of TWTM grammar study. (Next year we're going to go with ALL and then take it on into high school as releases are available.)

Math - We're really enjoying DIVE into Math this year. Dd is grasping and holding on to concepts much better than she ever has because this method is matching up well with her learning style. I guess she just needs the repetition. I think this is going to make all the difference in the world for my girl when she gets into pre-algebra next year. In the meantime she says she feels challenged, and I see that as a good thing.

Science - We are especially loving Apologia's 7th Grade General Science. Dd loves science and she's having a great time with the course. I wasn't sure if she would like this textbook that much, but because I got a good science kit for the experiments and set her up with a nice notebook system, she's very happy. Science is one of her favorite subjects and it is quite important to me that she is enjoying the program because I want her to continue to love the subject.

Foreign Language - This year we moved beyond a children's level French program and have begun using The Learnables French 1. I'm learning with dd and we are having a great experience with it. I like the methods used with this curriculum a great deal, and most of all, it's getting the job done! Another plus is that it's affordable. I'd give this curriculum a 2 thumbs up.

We really do like our Runkle's Geography, TOG and Homeschool in the Woods Art Activity Pak for art history this year, but so far the ones I've listed above have been pleasant surprises and ones that we are finding to be fast favorites.

Blessings,

Lucinda

Edited by HSMom2One

These look like a great resource. I am hoping that my library will order them for me to take a look. You have her read and then orally narrate what she reads?

These look like a great resource. I am hoping that my library will order them for me to take a look. You have her read and then orally narrate what she reads?

Yes, she reads on her own, then I just ask her what the chapter was about. I'm not really doing formal narrations--I just find out what she thought was interesting and make sure that she understands what she's reading.

Me Too!!! We are loving Apologia Science's: Zoology 3!! And Writing With Ease for our first time is clicking!! We are also doing God's Gift of Language for Grammar for the first time, which might be just right for my 6th Grader but a little too easy for my 1st & 2nd Graders (although they love the workbooks!!).

Other favorites that we discovered last year are Math U See, Spelling Power, Bible Study for All Ages, Time Traveler's History Units, and Wordly Wise (although I don't like the 1st grade book, but we'll just make it work) :)

Moving into 7th grade meant we needed to switch both math and science as dd was using Primary Math and My Pals are Here. For math we continued with Singapore and started Discovering Math last week. After a week of spending 2 - 3 hours a day on math, I now have LOF Pre-Algebra headed our way. It wasn't that the math was that hard or that dd wasn't ready, the problem just took a long time to work and there was some teaching on the fly. I don't remember really working with exponents before and dd definitely needed a refresher.

Science we moved to Science Explorer Earth Science. Actually everyone, my 3rd and 5th graders too, is doing it. Thus far there are enough hands-on experiments to keep everyone interested and I am able to stagger my expectations to address everyone's needs though I do need to find a bit more for my youngest in the output realm.

The big hit has been Winston English. I can finally say that the girls are finally learning/understanding parts of speech and enjoying it. We have coupled it with Editor-in-Chief and am teaching punctuation, word usage, and capitalization from an editting point of view.

They, all three, are also greatly enjoying Unjournaling. They have fun picking from the quirky assignments, writing, and sharing their results.

Our final new curriculum is addressing literature through Arrow and Boomerang as a group. Last year I had real trouble keeping up with all of the reading that two literature programs required. This year I am splitting our time between the two programs to address both levels and am starting our day off with a read-aloud. We are having good discussions which definitely weren't happening before. I also like it that the copy work is already selected with explanations as to what we should focus on with each piece.

This year I ended up combining my children for 3 subjects something that I had not done in the past. I like the fact that we are having a lot more discussion, I am able to draw more conclusions, and ultimately I think that they are getting more out of it this year.

Sarah

Hits: SWB writing lectures, Art of Problem Solving Algebra, The Elegant Essay

Meh -Wouldn't call them misses but they weren't as great as I was hoping. Still happy enough with them to continue using them: Logic Liftoff (Fun, but wish it were a bit more demanding), MOH (enjoyable but way too light and the chatty tone kinda bugs me)

Misses: Rosetta Stone, MM (none of my kids liked this math)

I've changed up a few things since we started, but here's what's working well now:

Ambleside Online--we've done this before, then moved on to other things and now we're back. So glad we are.:)

Checklists!--No kidding. I think this may be our biggest hit of the year.

CLE math

Opal Wheeler books and CDs for composer study

Wonderland of Nature Journal

Kind of expensive, but I think we're all enjoying our foray into Lego Robotics. We got the NXT 2.0 and are going through Laurens Valk's The Lego Mindstorm's NXT 2.0 Discovery Book. This is the right level for my girls (and I'm doing it with them) and we're all enjoying the sense of accomplishment at figuring this stuff out.

We started MCT Lit last week and are currently reading Alice in Wonderland--a mix of me reading it aloud and all of us trying to finish it up on our own in the next couple of days. I think we're all going to enjoy this too. I saw somewhere (really it must have been this chat board--where else do I learn anything!) that the next set is due out very soon. It will include Dicken's A Christmas Carol which we've never done but I've always wanted to do that during a December. I think we'll have to get that and fit in that book before we're finished with the first set.

I'm amazed at how much I am learning from Latin Alive. I thought I knew all of this from LFC, but it really fleshes out concepts to a much greater degree. Not sure if dd "enjoys" it, but I'm pleased with it.

Our hits this year are:

Discovery of Deduction- ds likes it, some great discussions.

MEP Math - We're using the GCSE level, it really clicks with ds. He likes the units.

LL LotR - we're not completely using it as recommended, but we're enjoying it. We'll get to the first units next week.

Not hits/not misses:

Cambridge Latin unit 1 - I don't like the teacher's set up for this program. I need a second textbook and can't order one right now. We're mixing it with Latin Alive and I've been spoiled by the instruction provided in LA I. The reading level is much better in Cambridge for ds, but I don't feel like he's learning anything new. It feels fragmented to me. I prefer a grammar approach to language.

Misses:

Draw Squad - Ds is finishing it this week. His drawing has improved, but he doesn't like the book. He didn't care for the videos either. I do believe it will come in handy when he starts geometry. However, he's not putting in his best effort.

Gotta chime in here. We LOVE Tapestry of Grace (Year 3). I could not have imagined that it would be this great! We love the lessons, and we enjoy getting together with friends who are doing it as well for a weekly 5-family co-op, and we can't wait to go every week.

Bridge to the Latin Road is also going well.

MUS Epsilon (is that the light blue book?) anyway, the one with fractions has totally made all the lights go on for my ds with fractions. LOF fractions is going well as a supplement.

Did I mention I love TOG? :D

Major scores here, after a few false starts:

MP Kinder. LOVE IT!!!! My boys love it. It is all I love about several other programs with daily plans.

CLE Math: why did I ever drift away? My 2nd son thrives on it.

Weekly Lesson plans for the olders: simple and no fighting or cries of "Am I done, yet?". The paper is the bad guy.

Unfortunate causalities: MP 5. It was way too easy for my second son. Mom fault, here.

Winners this year:

LOF

Math Mammoth

Meet the Masters

incorporating the use of a main lesson book

SOTW

a plethora of read alouds

BrainPop - as always!

Little Passports and Geography Songs

Jim Weiss CDs

Losers:

Singapore Math despite having used it for the past three years - - thank goodness for MM! She loves math again.

The jury is still out on our other resources, but at least the reactions haven't been horrible. Excluding a perfectionist's breakdown on our first day back, I've heard only good things about school this year. Thank goodness! Last year, I only received complaints.

Edited by kimmie38017

Hi, all...

We are also having great year so far. Winter Promise QMA has been very easy to use and we have been lightly supplementing it with AO (years 2 and 7) for all of my children in grades 3-7. Mystery of History, which is the main spine in QMA, has been refreshingly easy, both short and to the point, yet meaty enough.

I am even doing WP pre-school here and there, in addition to the other various things I occasionally do, with my little one. I like having it all laid out for me...and then I simply pick and choose what to work on. I never needed a schedule before but now I think it helps me to stay on track.

Megawords has been a favorite of ours for a few years now. My eldest is still trying to finish up Megawords 3 from last year, but that’s okay. I am finding that copywork and phonics in the early years, followed by Megawords in fourth grade is pretty sufficient for spelling in this household. (and easy to boot):tongue_smilie:

BJU math five is just perfect for my fifth grade dd, who did TT 5 last year. Oak Meadow Science is also really a hit for her.

Horizons math on grade level is still great for my third grade son.

BJU 7 Life Science is a hit for my 7th grader. The content is easy enough and some of the experiments have that wow factor that makes it fun.

Latina Christiana (oops) is wonderful, as is Visual Link Spanish. We honestly do not get to them as often as we “should”, but that’s okay. And my oldest dd has not even started French yet (but she will)!

I am so grateful for all of these easy programs so that I can continue to work and homeschool. Winter Promise is light enough so that the children still have plenty of time to read and follow their own interests. We are having a great year. So far, so good, we’ll see how it all pans out. ;)

I am doing the same thing as last year and hardly checking in here anymore. I may try a monthly check in, just to jot down how we are doing, and to help with accountability.

Happy homeschooling!

:D

Edited by lovemykids

:seeya: Hi Lovemykids. It's nice to see you again. Glad to hear your year is going so well.

Can't really add to the thread. I thought I knew what was working well this year.... and then.... all of our extras and activities got going in full gear. Ugh. Now, I'm looking for some streamlining. Besides, as soon as I praise a curriculum or otherwise give advice regarding one, it no longer works for us, LOL. Murphy's Law?

:seeya: Hi Lovemykids. It's nice to see you again. Glad to hear your year is going so well.

Can't really add to the thread. I thought I knew what was working well this year.... and then.... all of our extras and activities got going in full gear. Ugh. Now, I'm looking for some streamlining. Besides, as soon as I praise a curriculum or otherwise give advice regarding one, it no longer works for us, LOL. Murphy's Law?

Hi, Lynn!

Yup, even the most well laid out plans and schedules can go awry when new activities are added. I hope you get back into your groove soon. I am sure you will.

Oh no, don’t tell me I might have jinxed myself by posting about how well everything is going. LOL. You’d think that after eight or nine years of home schooling, we’d have it down pat. But each year can present its difficulties. (And now high school is looming over my head, in my mind’s eye, and it’s absolutely terrifying. Looking ahead to high school difficulties with my oldest, disorganized dd is prompting me to get everyone used to following an actual schedule a bit more.)

I decided against too many activities this year, and I am glad I did. The few things that we are doing this year will be plenty for us. But if I had more time off from work, I would probably add more!

Isn’t it enjoyable to homeschool all of these various ages though? I am really appreciating the variety this year, for some reason. Have fun!:tongue_smilie:

Although it's almost the end of the school year here, we have recently started Math Mammoth. The program we were using before was proving inadequate; ds was doing grade 3/4 concepts fine but getting frustrated because he'd never memorized basic math facts. We decided to back up and try to get the early stuff solidly learnt before he goes any further. MM has been a winner so far: a couple of weeks in and he suddenly seems to recall things he couldn't before, like 10 bonds, change from $1, etc.

Our new hits:

WWE/WWS (Love how much dd is learning in WWS.)

FLL4 (I don't know why we did R&S last year..it is nice to be back with FLL. Can't wait to start ALL in a couple months.)

Mindbenders logic puzzles (DD loves these...she breezed through them in 2 weeks)

HOD Preparing (History, Storytime, Bible, Poetry, DITHOR)

BFSU

Hands on Equations (A Huge Hit! My kids love math again!)

Times Tales DVD (So different from the book...and it is a good thing. Probably our biggest hit.)

The Reading Lesson (love the simplicity of each page and DS 5 is already starting to read.)

Just okay:

HOD Preparing (Science) (a bit weak for our taste, which is why we added BFSU)

TLP workbook for The Wheel on the School (Seems to me it is a lot of busy work, the closest to a miss.)

Rosetta Stone French (at least it is getting done and the children can do it independently.

No misses!

We are really enjoying SWI-C (with my 11th grader) and All Things Fun and Fascinating with my writing-reluctant 5th grader!

We are also loving Winston Grammar for the second time around and we continue to love Spelling Plus Dictation! Simple and to the point! Best of all, my son's spelling improves daily! (again, this is for my 5th grader)

:)

Love reading these!

Finally, Tarbuck Earth Science is so readable that he is reading it before breakfast.

Seriously?! I need to go find that on my disorganized basement bookshelves, as ds14, generally a science-loving kid, has designated earth science (using another text) the most boring class he has ever suffered through.