Name poll

Which do you prefer?  

1. 1. Which do you prefer?

• Caron Ann - first and middle
    • Ann Caron - first and middle
    • Caron Ann - both first
    • Ann Caron - both first
    • Other

My mother and I were discussing names (we both love baby names) and we had a disagreement.

If you wanted to call your child "Ann", but Caron was an important family name, would you name the child "Caron Ann" or "Ann Caron"?

Also, would Caron Ann and Ann Caron be two first names, or a first and a middle?

I chose "Caron Ann" and I also chose two first names. :tongue_smilie:

ETA: Caron is pronounced like "Karen" (KARE-in)

Edited by BeatleMania

Ya know, I'm not usually a big fan of weird spellings for common names, but I really like Caron. It looks more classy than trendy.

I always thought "Caron" was the original spelling because I saw it in my family only. I've never met a "Karen" or another "Caron". My mother's middle name is Caronann (named after the maiden name "Caron"), and I always loved the way it sounded, but not spelled together.

iWe have Carons in our family too.

I prefer having the first name first because it's a pain when you use a middle name first. My sister did this, and it's been a royal pain for my niece.

But I don't love the way Ann Caron sounds. But I wouldn't put it in the middle and then use it as a first name.

If I had to use both those names, I would probably add another name. And so it would be Ann Something Caron... Not sure what the something would be.

My preference is to give the child as a first name the name you plan on calling the child. I don't do nicknames either.

ETA: I also don't like how Ann Caron sounds. So I don't know what I'd do in your situation. I'm not partial to Caron so I'd skip it. I like a pp idea of adding a 3rd name in there to make it flow better.

Edited by silliness7

We have Carons in our family too.

I prefer having the first name first because it's a pain when you use a middle name first. My sister did this, and it's been a royal pain for my niece.

But I don't love the way Ann Caron sounds. But I wouldn't put it in the middle and then use it as a first name.

If I had to use both those names, I would probably add another name. And so Ann Something Caron... Not sure what the something would be.

My logic behind wanting Caron Ann both as the first names: Not many people ask for someone's middle name. The name "Caron" was very important to my grandmother, so I feel like to put it as a middle name, it wouldn't be remembered how it should be. I suppose I could just explain to my child *why* that name was important and hope they use it with their child. I don't mind "Caron Ann" together as a name. I love the name "Ann" but am not too crazy over "Caron" by itself.

Caron Ann sounds better to me. But I'd probably go with Anne Caron, so at least the girl doesn't have to spell her first name all the time. Growing up with a name that has several widely used spellings, I loathed always having to spell it so I would always prefer the most common spelling of any given name. Even better would be Anna Caron, as that sounds a lot less stilted than Ann(e) Caron. I also love Carrie-Ann, but I'm guessing that you really like Caron as is?

You need to add an E to the Ann. For some reason with Caron in seems necessary to me. I am not wild about Caron, but I get that it is a family name and it sounds quite nice. I would either do Anne Caron as a double first name or Anne as a first with Caron as the middle. I would not personally choose to use Caron as the first on its own.

My logic behind wanting Caron Ann both as the first names: Not many people ask for someone's middle name. The name "Caron" was very important to my grandmother, so I feel like to put it as a middle name, it wouldn't be remembered how it should be. I suppose I could just explain to my child *why* that name was important and hope they use it with their child. I don't mind "Caron Ann" together as a name. I love the name "Ann" but am not too crazy over "Caron" by itself.

The problem with this is that most people consider the first name to be, well, the first name. Even if you declare that the second name is part of the first name, you'll have a hard time getting agreement in the real world unless you hyphenate it.

I have seen too many people have problems in life due to being called by their middle name, so I would not name a child Caron Ann and then call her Ann.

When my brother and his wife had their daughter, they wanted to use the names Ann and Lee because they are family names. They ended up naming my niece Analee Michelle.

Ann Caron reminds me of Jan Karon, the author of the Mitford series.

Caron Ann reminds me of Carol Anne, the Poltergeist girl.

Either way, I definitely like Anne with an E if combined with Caron. Without it, the names look sort of... clunky.

I think Caron is a cool middle name, and it's neat that it's a unique family name. I just wouldn't pair it with Ann. I'd put it with something more feminine and flowy... Lydia Caron, Abigail Caron, Emily Caron... really there are tons of lovely options! :)

I like Caron Anne as a first and middle name. Because if you do it as just a first name, then you either have to come up with a middle name or have Caron Anne NMN. My daddy didn't have a middle name and he spent years thinking about giving himself a middle name, except he never could figure out something he liked that went with his first name.

If you're going to call her Ann, I'd put that first -- using the middle can get really confusing later in life.

If you just want both in there, I do have a cousin named Karen Ann, who was called by both growing up (and still is by many family members, 30 something years after she went to just Karen as she left for college).

I vote to be totally different, use the name Caron and use the nickname Ann. You can almost get that from Caron. Then pick a different middle name. It reminds me of Carol Anne from Poltergeist, although you may be too young to make that reference.

My middle name is Ann, I dislike it because it sounds like a conjunction. Since my first names ends with A, I have all kinds of issue with mail for Paul A., no I'm not a guy, thank you. :lol:

I don't like the flow of Ann Caron, it might depend on how it went with the last name.

In the end, it's the parents choice of what to name THEIR child. Either way doesn't leap out as too off the wall, like some names.

iWe have Carons in our family too.

If I had to use both those names, I would probably add another name. And so it would be Ann Something Caron... Not sure what the something would be.

:iagree:

Put whatever you are going to call her first.

Side note:

My son is named Aron(Aaron) because of a family spelling. If my DH hadn't been so set on naming him after my FIL, I would have passed on that spelling...it's something we have to constantly correct.

I also would tell my child the meaning of her name and why it was important to you and your family, but I wouldn't put any pressure on her about naming HER child that later on. We had to deal with that with our son and it drove me nuts. I wanted him to have his OWN name. I'm not very fond of naming children after others, but it is a LONG tradition in the men on my DH's side of the family and I felt coerced into it. :/

My first thought upon seeing the poll was that you spelled Carol wrong. Carol Ann was at one point quite popular. I'd worry that people would try to correct Caron to Carol and get the whole thing wrong. So I voted for Ann Caron, but it doesn't sound right. If it were me trying to use Caron, I'd go with a different second name.

I'm fully lost as to how two individual names can be considered the "first name". This is a first name followed by a middle name. I suppose that a hyphen could be placed between the two, but it would look strange, and spark never-ending questions.

"Southern" practice long as been to address a person by both first and middle name.

As for euphony, I side with "Caron Ann". The two names flow, one into the other, with a pleasing sound.

"Ann Caron", in contrast, requires a full stop between the two names. Sounds "punchy", march-like. Peremptory.

They are nice names, btw.

I like "Caron". My cousin is Karen, and I know others named Caryn/Karyn/Caren and I think Karen is the most common spelling. But I think Caron is lovely.

Personally, the two names have such similar endings, I couldn't use them together. (And this is from someone that used two names together that don't really "go" well with each other.)

I like Caron Ann better, just looking at the names and not thinking of the reasons behind them.

It's possible, although somewhat a pain, to have someone go by their middle name. I went to school with two kids that did so. It was probably a pain, but I never thought of either of them by their first names. We heard it on the first day of school and that was it. (Of course, they and their parents had to deal with it in more situations, so maybe they regret the choice. No idea.)

Thanks for taking part, everyone :001_smile:

This is a very hypothetical daughter name at this point :lol:

The only reason I chose Caron Ann was because it is my mother's middle name (Caronann) and I like how they sound together. We were just debating for fun whether Caron Ann or Ann Caron sounded better.

Some days I like the spelling "Ann" and other days I like it "Anne" :001_smile:

Sorry, but I don't like them together...Too many As and Ns.

I would never purposefully call a child by one name, but legally name them a different first name. I work with names and data entry at work and it causes issues every.single.time.

For dd4 we wanted to keep her birth first name (a name I truly hate) as her middle name, so she has the birth/adoption connection in her name. Due to her adoptive name, her name has no phonetic beauty to it, but it is her name and she can decide if she wants to change it later if she wants to. LOL

I'd go with one or another, and save the "other" for another child. I like Caron, fine, but with my daughter's name... you just have to realize that she may very well hate the fact that she has to "re-spell" her name each time someone asks... Caron is fine... Cari can be short.... :) Course... I like Cari... cuz it's kinda like mine :)

I like Anne-with-an-e Caron. If you give her the first name of Caron (even if she is called Ann/e), no one will ever be able to spell it. If Caron is a middle name, she'll rarely, if ever, be asked for the spelling. My kids hate our last name because they always have to spell it. It's mispronounced 50% of the time, and it's not even an uncommon name.