Menu

Have You Started Thinking About High School Courses Yet

This is mostly for parents of students tottering on the edge of high school (7th and 8th probably).

I was wondering how many people had thought through the courses they wanted their kids to complete in high school and then back tracked to figure out what they should be taking for 7th and/or 8th?

When I was planning this summer, I made up a chart of the classes I wanted complete before senior year. Now I'm trying to figure out how to get their skill levels up to working those classes in a year.

Has anyone else done this?

Yes, a little. Periodically since ds was smaller, I've sketched out potential paths for courses through the end of high school. I'm still unsure about some of what we'll do, but we're more or less on track for the moment. :)

Some of what ds is taking now could count for high school credit. I'm not entirely sure how I'll handle that. He took Honors Geometry outside the home last year along with high school Latin 2. This year (8th) he's taking Honors Algebra II, Honors Physics, and Latin 3. I'll have outside grades to back those up (and the NLE for Latin), so... Do I put them on his transcript? For now I'm keeping records in case I want to when the time comes.

I'm debating some things. Do I want to do 4 years of chronological history/lit in high school, following the WTM pattern? Would I rather break it up and do a year of European history and a year of world history and a year of American? How much input in those humanities classes do I think ds should get to have?

Obviously he'll have a fair amount of Latin (and he has the equivalent of a year of high school ancient Greek already, though, because of his other load, I'm really only asking him to do about a semester's worth total this year), but I want him to have some modern language study in high school as well. Which language (*probably* French, but I'm not entirely committed to that) and how much study, I'm just not sure...

I know I want to spend a year on The Bible and Its Influence. I'm actually really excited about that one.

For science, I think we'll go pretty traditional. Since he's getting physics this year, we'll do chemistry, then biology for 9th and 10th. I'm thinking that means 11th would be AP Physics and 12th would be AP Environmental Science, but I'm not entirely sure.

He'll have pre-calc/trig for ninth, then AP Calculus AB for tenth. After that... Um... I have to explore my options. ;)

See? Get me started and I just babble/muse ... It's easier than panicking 'cause high school is so close! ;)

Yes. DS 12 is a 7th grader and I have a very clear idea what I want him to do in high school. It helps that my DD14 is a 10th grader and I at least know what works for the first two years.

I know I want my kids to have four years each of math, science, English, history and foreign language.

Our science sequence is as biology in 7th or 8th, algebra based physics in 9th, chemistry in 10th, AP bio (for DD - maybe AP chem for DS is he is more interested in chemistry) in 11, calculus based physics in 12th.

Math: they both have algebra 1 before high school. Geometry in 9, algebra 2 and precalc in 10, calc 1 in 11.

English/history: WTM Great books approach.

Foreign language is the hardest. DD studies French. DS may just stick to German (family language).

Electives will happen according to their interest and don't get planned.

With respect to our plans for 7th and 8th this means: finish algebra 1, do biology - and the rest we are rather eclectic and almost unschooling. I aim for a general wide background in history and science, wide variety of reading, and developing an INTEREST in learning. Then, high school should be fine.

My son is only in 6th grade this year, but the huge responsibility of high school has really hit me hard this year. I've started tracking his path through a foreign language, math and science since those are the subjects that seem the most important and daunting to me at the moment.

I'm glad I've started now, because researching high school options makes me feel like I'm starting from scratch since there are so many options (coops, online homeschool courses, college courses, homeschool programs to do at home and regular high school texts). For the elementary years, I feel like there is more of a general consensus about what programs are good, whereas in high school, it seems like people are taking so many different routes, it's tougher to get feedback.

Lisa

Edited by LisaTheresa

Yes, I've been planning. We were considering letting ds skip a year and this would have been 9th. At this point I don't think we will, and that has relieved some panic.

I know we will have 4 years of science, history, math, English, and Latin. I've been working on electives I will require and what year would be best.

I was working on our science plan today, as I have some self-education to do before next year. We're going to spread out physics, chemistry, and biology over three years.

For skills I've printed off many posts from the high school board. I've pinpointed where his skills are currently and where I'd like them to be at the end of the year.

I get a bit obsessive about planning. I've also been examining what I already own (we used to have a great thrift store, .39 or .89 was hard to pass up). I found a way to use the writing books I already own for the remainder of high school.

It's also fun to look at higher level reference materials. I've been trying to finish our collection of high school/college level resources.

I am already trying to figure out how to get my DD through the Apologia Biology, Chem and Physics texts, as well as their Advanced texts in each subject simultaneously through high school. I 'think' I am going to try the following schedule:

9th - 1/2 of the Biology, Chem and Physics texts

10th - the other 1/2 of the above texts

11th - 1/2 of the Advanced Biology, Chem and Physics texts

12th - the last 1/2 of the Advanced texts

I am not sure if I will try to break the year into thirds and really concentrate on each, or schedule 9 blocks of science a week, doing 3 blocks on each subject. It sounds like an overwhelming schedule to me already, and DD is not an advanced student.

I'm just starting to look at it (this year is 6th grade). I'm looking at various options and trying to make sure that her middle school path sets her up to be able to choose for high school. I am actually giving a fair bit of thought to a local public charter that is rigorous college prep and on a local college campus as a viable option. I know we can do online for classes if need be, but the opportunities for IRL high school homeschool activities of the level I want for her are much sparser here than for younger grades. Add to that the need for secular options and they plummet to almost nil. I don't want to feel that we have compromised more than we want to just to get into group activities. There's also the expense of high school level courses to consider.

My oldest started high school this year, so I guess it goes without saying that I have started thinking about it. However, I'm already thinking about it for dd in 7th too. She has very different goals from ds. I have a rough map of high school made for both of them. I re-evaluate each year and make changes based on their interests and abilities and then try to pick the actual curriculum for each child.

I'm loving high school so for this year with ds. I look forward to it with dd two years from now too!

I was wondering how many people had thought through the courses they wanted their kids to complete in high school and then back tracked to figure out what they should be taking for 7th and/or 8th?

Has anyone else done this?

Yes, I did this a few years ago, for both kids. I made a chart and filled it in, because I needed to see on paper what it would look like. I had to see how things we did in elementary school would support what I wanted for high school. And since I did that, we've mostly kept to it, but we have also dropped things. And now that the beginnings of ALL and WWS have come out, some of my plans are being shaken and reconsidered. I'm also considering altering the science path, and science materials. But the initial plan was good for me to do, so I could see the big picture.

Mines only in 5th grade and I've already planned out H.S. I had to decide US History or World History. If we need to advance farther in math this year so we can get to calculus. Also what maths does he need prior to what sciences and can we cram it all in and still manage to do duel enrollment.... :glare:. It's never to early to worry!

Yes, I did this last year when we were looking at middle school since those will be the prerequisites for the high school classes. I started with two or three universities that we'd like to get their admissions requirements for dd's chosen major. Then, I went backward, just like you said, to figure out where we need to be each year. I have determined which classes will be AP and even have electives penciled into the schedule.

By 8th grade, we will be going the European model with two science courses. I tried this year, but we are getting way-laided by the volume of homework assigned through our new part-time school venture. I decided it's very important for dd to develop confidence in her ability to manage a schedule and keep track of her assignments. She needs to learn study skills just as much as grammar in 7th grade.

I have and it isn't at ALL the way I envisioned when he was younger.;)

I talked to an admissions counselor at a cc with a decent automotive program this morning. I wanted to get an idea of what he would need to be successful. The answer was "not much!":tongue_smilie: He has to be able to pass the reading test to get into the program. Then, before he can graduate, he will have to be able to pass the English and Algebra tests so that he can take the math and english courses required. So, not much....

He and I talked about it this afternoon and we have a basic plan outlined. There will be no latin or ancient lit or anything else that *I* want to do!:lol: The curriculum he is using now has their own accredited school. I don't think we'll sign up for it (too much $$$$), but I think we will follow their guidelines.

It's okay, I guess.;)

Yes, I do think about it now and am doing all I can to prepare dd for that scarey thing called high school. :lol: I am working with her closely to improve her writing skills so she's ready for rhetoric level studies. We are boning up on math this year so she's ready for Pre-Algebra in 8th grade and then move up the sequence from there. (I don't see her going into a technical field where strong math skills will be required, so we are fine with this.) She loves science, so we are placing a greater emphasis on that subject this year more than ever before. We're spending more time with foreign language than the last two years, and we're progressing on with our history cycle so she can do a full year of U.S. history in 8th grade, then do a full four-year cycle at rhetoric level in high school. The only thing we haven't pushed really hard is logic, but we have gone through FD and will do Thinking TB this year. At least we've gotten that far.

But as for hs, I'm very drawn to MFW. I love it that it is classical and that it is an independent study with weekly check-ins. Unless we end up sending dd to the classical school where I work part-time, we will most likely do something like that. I do plan to have her taking the DIVE science courses in progression, whatever math courses suit her needs and goals, continue with French studies, and pursue some logic and debate, although I have not chosen the resources for that yet. She is becoming an amazing artist and musician, so those studies will continue as well.

As rigorous as these studies will be, I'll be sure to get her involved in some interesting electives and some volunteer work that will round out her life.

It's a great idea to plan ahead. As the mom of grown adult children, I promise you that time will fly by swifter than you can even imagine!

Blessings,

Lucinda

For my 7th grader we have a general outline with her current goal of becoming a nurse practioner in mind. If that goal changes I guess this might too.

I haven't got that far with the 5th grader but this plan is pretty much what my older kids have done/ are doing with some subs for their interests.

LA

American Lit

English Lit

World Lit

AP English

Math ( she'll do Alg in 8th)

Geometry

Algebra 2

Trig

Statistics

History

World

AP U.S.

Geography

Government/Economics

Science

Biology

Chemistry

Physics or AP Biology

AP Physics

She acts, sings and takes art classes to count as fine arts credit. I'd like her to take a computer programming course. She plays soccer and basketball for PE. I'm a dietitian so she'll do my nutrition / health course. She wants to learn French so we'll start that this year in October. I'm not sure what else she'll choose but this gives us a framework.

Edited by joyofsix

Yes. DS 12 is a 7th grader and I have a very clear idea what I want him to do in high school. It helps that my DD14 is a 10th grader and I at least know what works for the first two years.

I know I want my kids to have four years each of math, science, English, history and foreign language.

Our science sequence is as biology in 7th or 8th, algebra based physics in 9th, chemistry in 10th, AP bio (for DD - maybe AP chem for DS is he is more interested in chemistry) in 11, calculus based physics in 12th.

Math: they both have algebra 1 before high school. Geometry in 9, algebra 2 and precalc in 10, calc 1 in 11.

English/history: WTM Great books approach.

Foreign language is the hardest. DD studies French. DS may just stick to German (family language).

Electives will happen according to their interest and don't get planned.

With respect to our plans for 7th and 8th this means: finish algebra 1, do biology - and the rest we are rather eclectic and almost unschooling. I aim for a general wide background in history and science, wide variety of reading, and developing an INTEREST in learning. Then, high school should be fine.

This is pretty much what we have mapped out (including Alg before HS-we're on target, at least). Languages, we're sticking with French and Latin. I'd love to hit the targets of AP Bio.

I homeschooled oldest Dd through 10th-she just went back to PS this year for 11th, on target. I doubt the others will decide to go to public school.

Right now DS is in 8th, but he is taking classes that can count for HS credit. We'll see how the year goes.

He'll be taking geometry honors in 9th, and then up from there, all 4 years of math.

He's taking biology honors this year with 21 labs (that better count!), and after that he'll be taking chemistry, biochemistry, anatomy and physiology, and physics

In addition to four years of History, he'll be taking a government and economics course...

4 years of Latin

Art and Mjsic history

Logic, geography, Home ec, and drivers ed as well....

Right now I'm also trying to beef up his writing skills, and study skills.

Ds is in 6th and high school thoughts are lurking in my mind.

I'm fairly certain that we will be starting Omnibus I 7th grade. If that goes well, then we will carry on with it for the rest of the books.

Science I have no idea, still trying to figure out this year.

Same goes with writing. Ds is a textbook person, he loves Saxon Math and Grammar. SWB way of writing drives him crazy, he melts down when we have tried it before.

Ds strengths seem to lie in languages. Latin I know for certain he will be doing online next year with TPS. He finds it easy and has outpaced what I have been trying to learn. He has started on Greek, just for fun. I'm thinking of signing him up for German at TPS next year as well.

How all of this is going to come together for High School, I have no idea. I have a very rough road map in my head, and I am just trying to see how it will all come together.

It is common here to do each science 2 times / week

If you do this in blockform you may have one (full) afternoon per science.

Just another option ;)

A schoolyear in thirds would looks like this here:

sept/oct/nov

jan/feb/mar

apr/may/june

We school from 1 sept - 1 july here.

I do like the idea of having one afternoon per week dedicated to each science. I will have to think more about that. Then maybe I would dedicate the other two afternoons to history and economics.

I am in Canada, and we follow the European way of doing the sciences. My DD wants to be an Animal Health Technologist (helper to a Veterinarian), and she needs at least 2, 30 level, sciences here in Alberta. That means 2-12th Grade level sciences - Biology and Chemistry. I am shooting for Physics too, in case she changes her mind and wants to actually be a Veterinarian. Of course she is only 12, so these plans could all change at the drop of a hat.

I have a slightly different philosophy. I don't really plan out my kids high school yrs all the way through, not even in 9th grade. In middle school I am focused on making sure they have all the skills required to do quality high school level work. In high school, we keep in mind the general college prep diploma requirements for our state, but my kids have a huge amt of input in their high school level classes (and to a certain degree, their middle school courses as well.) I would not want to take control over those decisions.

For example, I would never have chosen physics in 8th grade or 2 yrs worth of astronomy or AP chem as a 10th grader for my ds. I would have not have selected the the philosophy, psychology, and lit courses that my dd took last yr.

Anyway, my experience is that as they get older, they are formulating their futures. While there are core classes they have to take, there is a lot of leeway in how those credits are accomplished. Beyond the core, there are a lot of electives which can be tailored to their personal goals and objectives.....and those may change quite drastically between 9th and 11th grade.

As long as decisions do not close doors to alternative options (for example, 4 yrs of math is required in our home), they have tremendous influence in what is studied.

I do like the idea of having one afternoon per week dedicated to each science. I will have to think more about that. Then maybe I would dedicate the other two afternoons to history and economics.

I am in Canada, and we follow the European way of doing the sciences. My DD wants to be an Animal Health Technologist (helper to a Veterinarian), and she needs at least 2, 30 level, sciences here in Alberta. That means 2-12th Grade level sciences - Biology and Chemistry. I am shooting for Physics too, in case she changes her mind and wants to actually be a Veterinarian. Of course she is only 12, so these plans could all change at the drop of a hat.

Hey Roxanne, i'm in alberta too :-)

My eldest is only in grade 6, but i, too, have been thinking about hs courses and mapping out a plan for sciences/math especially.

I've been wondering what to do about the sciences and how they will fit. Most of the hs world seems to do them one at a time, so i'm unsure of how to approach them if I wanted to do it more how I did when I was in HS (But i have a horrible memory and can't even remember how we did it LOL).

Are you fully alligned with the alberta curriculum or are you doing it by yourself?

Hey Roxanne, i'm in alberta too :-)

My eldest is only in grade 6, but i, too, have been thinking about hs courses and mapping out a plan for sciences/math especially.

I've been wondering what to do about the sciences and how they will fit. Most of the hs world seems to do them one at a time, so i'm unsure of how to approach them if I wanted to do it more how I did when I was in HS (But i have a horrible memory and can't even remember how we did it LOL).

Are you fully alligned with the alberta curriculum or are you doing it by yourself?

Hi Melanie...I am not aligned at all with Alberta curriculum. I do my own thing. As of right now, and I know it is early, I am planning on doing my own thing through high school as well, and having my children challenge the 30 level tests in at least two sciences, math and English. We will probably do the SAT, and possibly one or two SAT II level tests, especially if my DC are university bound.

Are you aligned in any subjects? I was aligned with my DD for Grade 1, but we hated it and that was the last time.

Hi Melanie...I am not aligned at all with Alberta curriculum. I do my own thing. As of right now, and I know it is early, I am planning on doing my own thing through high school as well, and having my children challenge the 30 level tests in at least two sciences, math and English. We will probably do the SAT, and possibly one or two SAT II level tests, especially if my DC are university bound.

Are you aligned in any subjects? I was aligned with my DD for Grade 1, but we hated it and that was the last time.

This is exactly what I was thinking of doing. We are not aligned at all, nor do I plan on it. It's not worth the extra funding, in my mind. I haven't decided if we'll challenge the 30 level tests or just go the SAT route. I need to investigate the sciences a little bit more... I'm thinking of doing the Kolbe science courses, and then if they line up with the alberta program, we can challenge the diploma exams. but we're only in grade six right now, so i still have a few years to sort it out, since as you know, high school doesn't start until grade 10 here.

Anyway, my experience is that as they get older, they are formulating their futures. While there are core classes they have to take, there is a lot of leeway in how those credits are accomplished. Beyond the core, there are a lot of electives which can be tailored to their personal goals and objectives.....and those may change quite drastically between 9th and 11th grade.

As long as decisions do not close doors to alternative options (for example, 4 yrs of math is required in our home), they have tremendous influence in what is studied.

This is something that I really want to be able to do, but it's so hard to fight against my own tendencies to want to sort it all out and make it MY version of perfect. I know when I was in jr high and high school, I was able to choose many of my subjects and it certainly helped my motivation in doing them, because I chose them.