Menu

My kids HATE MM!

beccad777

I am so discouraged! I bought MM because everyone on here seemed to love it and I got a great deal on it from the Homeschool Buyers Coop. But I think I am going to have to try something else. They hate it. It makes our days so horrible and long. They say it is too hard and too long. :confused:

So I guess I need new math. What do you all suggest? I would need 2nd and 3rd grade (my 4th grader is a year behind in math) math in a work book format. R & S is too much copying and produces tears and fights. CLE is too long (4 pages a lesson makes them crazy!) Color or not doesn't matter.

Thank you for your help and just for listening. This has been a rough year so far! :glare:

I wouldn't dump a math program you've invested in just yet. Can you let them work some of the problems orally, then assign others for written work? Do they know their math facts well enough to work through the level?

From what I've read here, MM is a great program. I'm a believer in working with what you have in ways to get to an end.

I did the same thing and had the same results. We are just going to use MM for supplement now. We went back to Math U See. My oldest is visual and watching the DVD is best for him. My youngest could use anything, but since I switched one, they both got switched for my sanity. :tongue_smilie: I think MM is parts to whole which drives me insane and my son has a very similiar learning style. We want to see the big picture first off. I did only make him do half the problems (more if it was too hard and less if it was easy), but it was just the teaching style that was a problem. Now he did complain MUS was boring, but after trying MM for a couple of months he said that he prefers MUS and wanted to go back. So we did. I think you can find samples and placement test on the website.

I've always used MM, so I don't have any other math suggestions., but...With MM I wouldn't expect them to get entire sections done in a day or to do all the problems in a section. I have my son do every other problem, about 8 maybe 10 math problems a day. For sections 3 pages or longer we spend two days on it.

I used Alpha omega Horizons math for first grade and my dd liked it and was doing well. I also bought MM because of the reviews and dd did not like parts of it at first. She really disliked the the way they make you group to 10 first then you get your answer in 2nd grade workbook.

Exp 9 + 4 =

10 + ___ =

Answer 9+4= 13 same as 10+3=13

It was really confusing for her. I then just told her to ignore the 10 +3 part and write her answer, then fill in the second problem after she already completed the first part. This has helped her and she is doing well now.

In AOH she had to learn flash cards for all the addition to number 20 so she knows then fairly well and the grouping to ten is confusing for her. It has taken time but I think the grouping ten is meant to help with future caring problems. So far we are sticking with it.

R & S is too much copying and produces tears and fights. CLE is too long (4 pages a lesson makes them crazy!) Color or not doesn't matter.

So, three programs have bombed? It's not the programs, then, it's the kids. They apparently don't like math.

Stick with MM. It's a good program. Continuing to program-hop will produce more problems than it solves. Tell the kids, "This is it, kids." Math is not an amusement park, and it takes work. Set the timer for 20 minutes and have them work until it goes off. Don't worry about how long the lesson is ... I have my kids work for 37 minutes and then we move on, regardless of where in a lesson they are. Last year I had my dd3rd work for 30 minutes, 4 days a week, and she finished both third grade books in 6 months.

Tara

No advice on a new math... but thought I would share what's happening in our fairly new MM household, to see if it might help or give you some hope.

We switched to MM from RS, and have been using it for since last April. My kiddo is not in love with it, and his reaction sounds similar to your kids'. I didn't want to switch again, though - RS is too teacher intensive for us now, and I didn't want to backtrack to MUS again.

So... We vary it up. We do "buddy math" - and take turns doing problems. I (almost) never have him do all the problems in a section, but just enough to be sure he understands before moving on. Sometimes I scribe for him. We add in a lot of math games (and I skip sections appropriately, if we cover something that way). And I skip around when things get boring - moving on to a different section has helped a bit (time, money, etc).

I may try writing problems on the whiteboard next, or my kiddo's current favorite - the sliding glass door!

Good luck! I hope you find something that works for your kiddos.

This just happened recently with dd. We are using BJU math, I love this math and all my boys loved this math. Last year we did two 1st grade math programs with her, BJU and Abeka. Monday she told me she wants to do the Abeka because she hates math when we use the BJU. Luckily I had the Abeka 2nd grade math on the shelf. She pulled it down and has started it on her own.:glare: I really hate using Abeka from a teaching standpoint, I find it boring.

Both of my kids did fine with MM1. About halfway through MM2, my daughter started getting really frustrated and hating it. I do think it would be more useful if you broke it down - didn't require the completion of ALL the problems, use used the problems as a supplement.

We use TT now.

I know you you feel though because *I* love MM. I still will probably continue to buy it in PDF form, because I like the explanations it gives conceptually and I can use it to help instruction.

My dd had a hard time with it at first. I sat with her and helped her through it for the first week or two and now she is very independent with it.

Did you know that they only need to do 1.5 p per day (depending on the days per year you school) - see #14 : http://www.mathmammoth.com/faq-lightblue.php#14

I did not know about the 1.5 pages a day. That would probably help. Let me clarify on the 3 math programs. I didn't buy CLE. I just printed the sample lesson from their website and had the kids try them to see how they did before I bought it. I had bought R&S 3 last year and it didn't fly, so I switched to Abeka and he did well with it, but I wanted something more independent which is why I went with MM.

I may try doing less pages and assign only certain problems instead of having them do the entire lesson. I pulled out R&S and am having my 9 year old do that today, and it is actually going well. I am not having him copy the problems, just write the answers on separate paper and he says he likes it much better. Maybe the extra year made a difference for him. I will keep on with MM for my DD7 for a bit and see if it gets any better.

Thank you all for your advice! :001_smile:

Really?

I have to stop and wonder here. I keep reading about "all of the problems" that have to be completed. There are not that many problems. Seriously, consider any other program, and by far I feel there are less in MM. As a matter of fact, if anything, the problem should be that there are not enough for mastery.

You do realize that even Saxon has 25 problems or more per lesson. The more traditional style texts do. You should be dividing up the pages for a daily goal of completion. Pushing past that is not necessary.

Math problems only get longer. Without the practice they will not retain and master the skill.

I would only consider changing your math selection if, and only if, it truly did not fit your child. Even then, I would hesitate to make sure that it was not a math revolt. :D

Well, I dunno. We always did 1 assignment a day not 1.5 pages. And, at the higher levels I agree with you but absolutely, MM1 was about 10x as much math as they were getting in public school 1st grade. I'm not exaggerating. In PS they did not do math every day and what they did was just single digit addition sheets.

Edited by zenjenn

I have to stop and wonder here. I keep reading about "all of the problems" that have to be completed. There are not that many problems.

I agree. I'm really confused by the idea (even promoted by Maria Miller, who wrote the curriculum) that half the problems is somehow sufficient. I strenuously disagree. Math takes practice, plain and simple. You have to do a lot of problems to really ingrain the knowledge and make it second nature. Understanding the concept is not, imo, enough. You have to do it so many times that it becomes reflexive. If it's not, I think the student will encounter problems in higher-level (post-arithmetic) math.

And there really are not that many problems in MM. I make extra worksheets at worksheetworks.com for my kids to continue practicing things.

Tara

I agree with you regarding algebra on up, but prior to Algebra, procedures are really simple, no more than a few steps, and the repetition after a certain point is just tedious. Just move on to the next thing! I have always been really unclear as to why standard track education does not get to algebra or at least pre-algebra in elementary.

I'd say that the "right" number of problems to do varies not only amongst kids but also amongst different topics for the same kid. (and perhaps amongst different levels of MM - note: I have not used much of the lower levels because my younger kids are in school.) In the upper levels, the lessons often come in "groups," the conceptual followed by the traditional. In our house, there have been times when after just a few problems it was clear we could move on immediately to the next incremental lesson (meaning, we were not finished with the topic yet, but with a portion of it); still in those cases I probably assigned half the problems most of the time. There have been other times when I've gone to the other extreme, printing out extra worksheets with the worksheet maker for more practice (I also used the worksheet maker sometimes when things got a little busy on the regular MM pages). Most of the time we were somewhere in the middle, doing most of the problems, maybe 3/4 or so, but not all of them except for a few sections. Not all kids need the same amount of repetition to master a topic. The ability to be flexible on number of problems as you go along is one of the great advantages of homeschooling.

Math takes practice, plain and simple. You have to do a lot of problems to really ingrain the knowledge and make it second nature. Understanding the concept is not, imo, enough. You have to do it so many times that it becomes reflexive. If it's not, I think the student will encounter problems in higher-level (post-arithmetic) math.

Tara

:iagree:

We work many problems on the large dry-erase board to help with understanding. I add in extra problems I've made up (just off the top of my head), and then write these on the board to further cement the lesson. The little guy has to work these out on the board as much as he is able. I help when he is baffled, but he must try first. (We use MEP, a program which is similar to Singapore math.)

It is because of the extra time we spend working on problems that I see growth in mathematics skills. I don't think you can shortchange that.

After reading some of the reponses, I have some more thoughts on this.

Our experience has been that we could not find a program that fit to my son's learning style (and my teaching style). I could always try to work the program to fit our learning and teaching styles, but it takes more work and I would rather just find something that fits us to begin with. Finding a good fit can be a hard process as you usually don't know until you have been using it for awhile. My eldest son is very particular and we have major issues if we don't find the perfect fit program. My youngest on the other hand could use anything. Two completely different kids. MM is a good program, but we would have spent countless hours tweaking it.

I suggest you really try to figure out why it isn't working. It could be an easy fix with MM or it might be a new program. I spent countless hours trying to figure out why it wasn't working for us and what we should do. And lots of prayer too. Good luck!

You can also mix and match topics -- if your goal is 2 pages a day, how about do 1 page of arithmetic and 1 page of geometry? I found it really helped to do different TYPES of math in the same day rather than do too much of one kind.

I also agree that when they get it, move on. Math facts and procedures need constant review, but imo it's better to do 1/2 have of long division until they "get it" and then do 1 problem a day for the next month (to demonstrate retention) than trying to force retention with oodles of problems. If they start struggling, up the review. (So, math might start with 1min of drill for math facts, and then 3 review problems for procedures, then move on).

Edited by ChandlerMom

Really?

I have to stop and wonder here. I keep reading about "all of the problems" that have to be completed. There are not that many problems. Seriously, consider any other program, and by far I feel there are less in MM. As a matter of fact, if anything, the problem should be that there are not enough for mastery.

You do realize that even Saxon has 25 problems or more per lesson. The more traditional style texts do. You should be dividing up the pages for a daily goal of completion. Pushing past that is not necessary.

Math problems only get longer. Without the practice they will not retain and master the skill.

I would only consider changing your math selection if, and only if, it truly did not fit your child. Even then, I would hesitate to make sure that it was not a math revolt. :D

I could be wrong here, but here are my rambling thoughts. :D When we were using MM it seemed to be parts to whole learning. 5-10 problems on this and then they change it slightly and had another 5-10 problems doing it that way and then yet another change to the problem with more practice. This drives my son and me crazy. I just want to get to the point. :lol: A spiral math program drives me insane too. My son and I seem to be on common ground when it comes to math. We tried MM because I thought it was a mastery approach, but what I didn't know it is parts to whole. So, we have to have a mastery approach that is whole to parts or just whatever is the opposite of parts to whole and very visual. MUS seems to fit us best. Learning style is so important for some kids. Of course my youngest is so easy going and can work with anything I put in front of him. I guess he gets that from his dad. :tongue_smilie:

I also agree that when they get it, move on. Math facts and procedures need constant review, but imo it's better to do 1/2 have of long division until they "get it" and then do 1 problem a day for the next month (to demonstrate retention) than trying to force retention with oodles of problems. If they start struggling, up the review.

This is an interesting point about review.

Really?

My last post really was rambling, because it didn't get to the point I was trying to get too. MUS has the same number of problems, but they are whole product problems. MM has problems on each part with the whole problems at the end. I (and my son) felt like I had done 10X as many problems than what I actually did after completing a lesson. I think the OP and others that say it is too many problems just don't realize they don't like part to whole learning. My son did 3 worksheets (double sided) in MUS each day all week and didn't complain once and would have done more. 1 page in MM was the end of the world. :lol:

My older son is a whole-to-parts learner, and MUS has worked very well for him. (He also likes the visual aspect of the DVD). We've tweaked the program to better suit him (I can share details if you like), and I'm all for tweaking curricula in general, but sometimes a program is just too different from what you need for tweaking to be worth your time. FWIW, we also used a bit of MM this summer--the 'dark blue' by topic one, on clocks--and it was helpful for my son who has finally mastered this concept after working through MM. But in general my son found there were too many problems to do (we culled), and the pages we're too cluttered visually for MM to be an optimal program for him. To each their own. There's so many different good choices out there--and I'd count both MM and MUS among them--that for elementary math, at least, you can find a program that is 'reasonably close' to what you want, and tweak from there.

I haven't read the other reviews but :grouphug:, because we don't like MM here either, neither dd or I. I can't stand to look at it for some reason...too much ink on a page maybe. I bought both 2nd and 3rd grade and have had no success but a lot of guilt for wasting $. DD did BJU for K- 2nd. It was OK but not enough fact drill (but I did like that it is more to the mastery side, and conceptual). I switched her to CLE 3 this year, and it is going GREAT, even better than I expected (so much less painful for both of us than trudging through the BJU lessons). It really isn't that much work for dc -- all the teaching is in the worktext. It just looks like more because it is 4 pages per lesson, but it is very spread out. I actually think it is LESS than the 2 sides of a worksheet she was donig in BJU. My dd has a pencil "allergy" so if she can do CLE, I think almost any kid could! :) It is so cheap, you might order 1 light unit for each grade (don't get the first one in the year, since it is all review and isn't the same format) and just try it. After endless hours of obsessing over math, I think I've found a winner for her.

In MM, the chapter does work parts-to-whole. It is very similiar to an incremental(sprial) approach without the sprinkling over the book as Saxon does. That drove me crazy. Yet, it is truly a mastery style program. The spiraling occurs across a few grades with certain topics. In math, I could see working whole to parts as a disadvantage though.

More on the layout .... The beginning starts with a basic foundation and builds over the lessons for that chapter. You will reach the grade-level complexity by the end of the chapter for that topic(s). Review sheets help to maintain the knowledge and create a certain degree of mastery. I make worksheets to review past chapters all of the time.

Still:

You would need to determine how you child learns best. As I said, make sure that it isn't a revolution taking place. LOL

Comment:

Just remember, that as they go on to higher levels of education, another teacher will not change the book for them. That teacher will not change their style either. They will need to be flexible to all manner of content approach and learning style. :D

Edit: I am not sure that MUS is a purely whole to parts either. From what I remember, it was a pratical, realistic, hands-on manipulation of math. Learning the premise parts are not what I would consider a whole method, but it is mastery. :D Another reason that I am fond of it ...

Edited by ChrissySC

MM had too many problems for my kids--and not enough "white space" on the page. It just LOOKS overwhelming to me.

I have one child that goes over the edge when math lasts longer than 15-20 minutes. Thank you, Charlotte Mason, for saying "Set a timer, work diligently, and stop when the time is UP."

I can push some of my kids a bit and give them more math problems, but I can't do that with all of them.

My hope is that as my math challenged dc become more mature, we will extend the time (and number of problems) spent on math, but for right now, I have no intention of destroying the love of math by assigning sheets and sheets of math problems. I think that just playing with math problems orally while we are "doing life" is a good tactic for them. In the bathtub? sing counting songs. On the trampoline? jump to doubles. At the store? round up prices.

Quite frankly, even MUS has too many problems for one of my kids.

Math Mammoth is good for one thing, though. When the kids are finding that day's MUS or LOF assignment a little challenging and they begin to whine, I can always ask if they want me to get out the MM. :001_smile:

Yes, the problem with MM is that the font is not as large as SM's, almost making it seem as if there are many, many problems per page, which can make a kid instantly hate it, but it is a solid program. I have done many of the problems orally with DD which has the benefit of strengthening her mental agility. DD's writing is huge so her numbers cannot be confined to the space given, which makes SM a better fit for her. On the other hand, SM makes larger leaps which can be frustrating. MM makes smaller leaps and it's just perfect for introducing new concepts. Unfortunately, I've been known to request DD to do every problem in MM. There is never too much math :D.

I would keep MM for teaching concepts because I truly believe it does an exceptional job (as does SM but MM does it in smaller steps). And then some other curriculum if your kids cannot stand the layout of MM.

I'll mention that I am using a vintage math text from 1970 in addition to MEP. The vintage text has great explanations, and it seems to mesh well with MEP. The problems are worked on notebook paper, not in a workbook, so there is no worry about inadequate space for answers. We do much of it orally, then I assign sections for homework or classwork.

I thought I'd mention this, as maybe something a bit *older* could help the OP. I know it is helping here.

I just wanted to throw my hat into the "MM has a lot of problems" ring. We love MM. We even do most of the problems. But I think for a child who grasps concepts quicker than my kids, MM would be a huge drag and all those problems would feel like busy work and could easily cause pushback. Math takes practice, but not all kids need the same amount of practice before they are at a confident level and want to move on to a new challenge. Finding the sweet spot amount of practice for an individual kid is really what I think I see part of my job as math teacher as being.

What Math Mammoth are you all using?

The font is too small? Geesh, the sucker is larger than 14 pts in many places, and usually lays around 12 pt to 14 pt for written words.:glare:

Are you sure you have Math Mammoth?

I just counted the number of problems on the two pages that I assigned today (fifth grade), and the total was 15. This is too many problems?:001_huh:

I am starting to think that you all have lost your mind.:lol:

The font is too small? Geesh, the sucker is larger than 14 pts in many places, and usually lays around 12 pt to 14 pt for written words.:glare:

I just counted the number of problems on the two pages that I assigned today (fifth grade), and the total was 15. This is too many problems?:001_huh:

:iagree: I'm a little confused. We're using MM2 and MM5, and if I have any complaint it would be that there are too few problems. I assign all of them! I haven't noticed the font being too small, and if my kids need more room they use another piece of paper. We had to use extra paper in Singapore too, but I never really thought about it as a huge problem. In fact, even when ds was in school he always used an extra piece of paper to work the problems and stapled it to his math homework.

But, everyone has to find what works for them. I ordered the DVD from Math U See, and couldn't get past calling 12 "ten two" or whatever it is they say. It made me bonkers. And Saxon made me want to beat myself with the huge teacher's manual.

I think Singapore has a very overly spaced out style, and Math Mammoth is fairly compact. I do think it could benefit from perhaps doing the problems elsewhere. My son found it hard to fit the answers in some of the boxes. I do find it repetitive, but I bought the topical variety (blue) to use for reinforcement, not as my main curriculum. I think it's good when you need lots of practice, but that's why I bought it. I used it a lot for a month and then moved back to my main program.

I went to my Math Mammoth folder and opened a file at random. It was Place Value 2.

I went to a random page (31).

There is a 3x3 box at the top with two rows of problems in each box, a 1x4 box of problems in the middle, with two rows of problems in each box, and a crossword puzzle requiring 10 numbers to be entered.

p 18 has a 3x3 box with two rows of problems in each box, and then 12 additional problems.

But, everyone has to find what works for them. I ordered the DVD from Math U See, and couldn't get past calling 12 "ten two" or whatever it is they say. It made me bonkers.

Huh. That was one of the things we all found quite useful and fascinating here: that perhaps part of why some areas of the world lag behind others in math comes from their language. It is simply harder for our preschoolers to learn to count when our numbers from 10 to 20 do not follow as easy a pattern as they do in other languages. If your language calls 11 'ten-one', 12 'ten-two', 13 'ten-three' and so on, then once you can count to 10 you've pretty much mastered counting. And some languages do this. English-speaking kids have to learn 'eleven' through 'nineteen', and only at twenty do we start to see a pattern where 'ty' means 10: twenty-one (two-ty one), twenty-two and so on.

My kids liked knowing they weren't dummies for getting mixed-up in the teens when they could rattle off 20 through 100 without problem; and they liked Mr. Demme's analogy to a 'nickname' to make sense of it: in English, the 'full name' of 11 should be 'one-ty one', but we say '11' just like we say 'Kate' instead of 'Katherine', or 'Bill' instead of 'William'.

To each their own. I'm just grateful for so many different programs to choose from to best fit my kids.

I wouldn't dump a math program you've invested in just yet. Can you let them work some of the problems orally, then assign others for written work? Do they know their math facts well enough to work through the level?

From what I've read here, MM is a great program. I'm a believer in working with what you have in ways to get to an end.

Plus you could do some on the whiteboard or chalkboard:)

The font wouldn't be small for me. Or probably for a 5th grader. But I think 12-14 pt is slightly small for my 2nd graders and sometimes doesn't really give them enough room for their still large writing. And there are some pages with 15 problems, but there are many with more like 50, though usually those are pages where there's a long set of problems that all fit a pattern.

MM had too many problems for my kids--and not enough "white space" on the page. It just LOOKS overwhelming to me.

:iagree:

And we do tons of problems with Singapore Math, timed drills, flash cards, Saxon AND do other math. But when we switched to just MM for the summer (I was trying to push them into being more independent) it bombed. And it really is more work than many other programs. Not in a good way, to me. It was longer to grade, heck it took me longer to do the pages when I did it to see what the fuss was. There's a ton of work on those pages! Of course, I am of the belief that a few really thoughtfully picked problems using a range of skills more easily facilitates learning than tons of little problems. It's kind of like beating a dead horse at that point.

I agree with you regarding algebra on up, but prior to Algebra, procedures are really simple, no more than a few steps, and the repetition after a certain point is just tedious. Just move on to the next thing! I have always been really unclear as to why standard track education does not get to algebra or at least pre-algebra in elementary.

We use MM here and my kids have never complained. We do all the problems. My 4th and 5th graders do 2 sheets/day 4 days a week and my younger two do 1 page a day 4 days/week. I'll be moving my 2nd grader up to 2 pages soon.

I would have to disagree with lack of repetition. If kids are not trained to sit and work through several problems at a time they will be blown away by all the calculating in Algebra. I think gradually as they get older they should be responsible for more and more work. That being said, I don't think MM has an abundance of problems. My kids are not super fast math kids and they have no problem completing 2 pages a day.

I don't think every curriculum is for everyone, but the main thing would be for the op to choose a curriculum and stick with it. I would choose the curriculum that best meets your criteria and go with it. ;)

I found myself buying curriculum then changing it constantly as he hated this history and science, and so on. I finally decided he just doesn't like school. Now I buy what I'm comfortable with. I figured one of us might as well be happy. I'm comfortable with this as he wouldn't have a choice in public school if he attended.

My daughter was the opposite, loved school loved all her curriculum.

I've always used MM, so I don't have any other math suggestions., but...With MM I wouldn't expect them to get entire sections done in a day or to do all the problems in a section. I have my son do every other problem, about 8 maybe 10 math problems a day. For sections 3 pages or longer we spend two days on it.

Yes, this! I know somewhere Maria says that she designed it with the idea of having you only assign half the problems or less. Then, if they struggle you can do the lesson again the next day, with the other half of the problems.

So we do every other one or even less. And we never do more than 2 pages a day.

:iagree: I was thinking this the whole time I was reading. It's all relative. I had oceans of problems growing up in elementary school. MCP math had problems after uninspiring problems. MM was and continues to be a breath of fresh air. Varied problems, incremental learning (small steps, as someone mentioned), and conceptual math, critical thinking. Obviously we love it. Singapore looks like not enough problems on its own for us. I didn't want to have to buy extra

books. I wanted a self-contained, fairly independent math program that combines elements of both Asian and European math. We both want to see the whole picture, the whys, not just do or die ;)

Vintage Math ... Ray's is my favorite.

Ray’s Mathematical Works (Mott Media)

I like Hall's for math as well ...

First-Lessons in Arithmetic, Jones Bros. (1878) Don Potter .net

Also available at Don Potter .net:

If the links are broken ... they are on my blog.

As for repetitive - It is a mastery program.

As for too many problems - Let me just say that I do not think that counting the math facts as "problems" should be allowed! LOL You ought to see what we did for facts while we were using Saxon last year. ;)

As for the font,again, I think the clock pages could stand to be enlarged.

However, again, the text is great(first through third books). Larger than 14 pts (a plus for the littles). In many places, for the actual problem, the font is 20pt and better, except for the time. The clocks are itty bitty! I would just enlarge when you print.

How big do you want your kids to write? The larger they learn, the harder it will be to make it smaller. Numbers are not supposed to be written on all three manuscript lines. They are written between the ground and fence, the bottom line and the dashed line.