Menu

Homeschooling in Pennsylvania

Pennsylvania was where we started our homeschooling journey. I don't think the law has changed that much since then, 1991.:001_huh:It's really been that long!

By the week, I kept a daily log of required subjects, lists of books we read (and the publisher of each book --that was required), projects and field trips we took. Things that couldn't be proved by written record, I included photographs. End of school year I had to get with a teacher certified to teach in the state of Pennsylvania; she'd do a review of our portfolio and a brief interview with kiddo. She would then type up a very professional review about dc's progress on each subject and her opinion on the type of education he was receiving. She'd mail that to me.

Then we'd have to take the portfolio and review to the vice principal at our local school. After a week or so they'd call and give it back.

I strongly disliked homeschooling in PA. Cost of running to teacher's home and the time spent there. She came to our home too. The teacher's fee was about $25-30 at that time, so I'm sure it's much more now.

In 3rd, 5th, 8th grades SAT testing by a teacher is required. She got the tests from a private school, and gave them to several students at one time. I know there is testing for high school but I can't remember what grades. Of course that cost too.

There is an umbrella in PA that I heard good things about, but I can't remember the name of it at the moment. If you're interested in knowing I will try to find it.

If I didn't have to move to PA, I wouldn't. Check Home Education Magazine's website for info on homeschooling regs in PA.

****Oh, forgot to add...before I hand it in to the vice principal I have to have it notorized, which also costs.

Edited by gingerh

My husband and I are seriously considering a move from NJ (easy HS state) to PA (draconian HS state?). I am nervous. The PA HS law feels so intrusive and... wrong (to me).

Talk to me. :bigear:

That's how I felt moving from IL to PA. However, I've found it's not as bad as it seemed. Really, it's just extra paperwork. Homeschooling is pretty well accepted through much of PA...definitely here in the SE/SC part of the state. It's not difficult at all.

On testing, you can choose which test to give. Our children take the CAT and we just have someone else proctor it, then turn it in ourselves ($25 for the test through Seton).

You turn in a list of objectives at the beginning of the year (I keep a copy on hand and just copy it everyone year...it's general, not specific), along with an avidafit. Keep attendence and a log. Put together a portfolio (simple...my kids usually put their own together. Their evaluator is fine with this) and see the evaluator of your choosing (they range in price...some are donation based and others range from $25 on up). You only see your evaluator once a year. We have evaluators in my county (heavens, in my city!), but I love our evaluator and have no problem driving a county over. Seriously, once a year is not something to complain about ;) Then you turn your evaluator's form (and sometimes the portfolio also, depending upon the school district) to the district. At some point they call you to pick up your portfolio. Then end. Really, basic record keeping, that's all.

Edited by mommaduck

Honestly, once you've gone through it once, it's not all that bad - just a bunch of paperwork.

1. You have to fill out a form and get it notarized. Any auto tags place will notarize it for about five bucks. If you look around, you can find free notarization in various places.

2. You're supposed to keep a log of reading materials; many folks just make a list of books the child read that year. It doesn't have to include every single book your kid touched, if you follow WTM you probably have looked at a few novels each year; they should do nicely. (Young 'uns and prolific readers may have more.) You need only list the titles.

3. You need to keep a portfolio. WTM kids should have tons of things to put in the port. It's not necessary to document every last thing you've done; the law asks for "samples" of work. My port is usually about 1/4" thick, which includes the samples, log, test scores, etc. I just keep a box and throw stuff in it; towards the end of the year I organize it into a port. Older kids may have essays and such they wrote on their computer; it's easy to print out copies of a few for the port.

4. You need to get an evaluation at the end of the year. Evaluators abound; many are homeschooling moms themselves and you should not fear them. (You might even have a friend or relative who can do it for you.) If you have high school kids you may want to pay more get a detailed evaluation, but most folks just choose to get the evaluator's signature on a basic form saying they've done what they needed to do and their kid is making progress. My friends often use the same evaluator as I do; we often meet at a park in a central location and the kids play while they're waiting for their turn to speak with her. It's a fun day out for all, and not a big deal.

5. At some time during 3rd, 5th, and 8th grades, you have to do standardized testing, the results of which go in the port. There are about 10 different tests to choose from. You can get them mail-order and swap testing with a friend, do them in a group-testing situation, or do a one-one-one through your evaluator. You'll pay about $25. Don't fear the tests.

6. You give the district copies of the port and written evaluation, they look at it and give it back. (Most folks submit the next year's affidavit at the same time.)

While this is all a pain, it should not impact the way you teach your dc. Read the law for yourself, so you know what's really required.

My web site has all kinds of info to help you through it. Start on my "portfolio summaries" page - read a few examples, and you should start feeling like you can do this.

Edited by askPauline

:iagree:

Pauline's site was a lifesaver for me.

It looks complicated and awful and overwhelming at first glance (the process, that is, not Pauline's site haha), but once you read it over a couple of times, break it down step by step, and go through the process once, you realize it wasn't as complicated or overwhelming as you'd feared.

Honestly, once you've gone through it once, it's not all that bad - just a bunch of paperwork.

1. You have to fill out a form and get it notarized. Any auto tags place will notarize it for about five bucks. If you look around, you can find free notarization in various places.

2. You're supposed to keep a log of reading materials; many folks just make a list of books the child read that year. It doesn't have to include every single book your kid touched, if you follow WTM you probably have looked at a few novels each year; they should do nicely. (Young 'uns and prolific readers may have more.) You need only list the titles.

3. You need to keep a portfolio. WTM kids should have tons of things to put in the port. It's not necessary to document every last thing you've done; the law asks for "samples" of work. My port is usually about 1/4" thick, which includes the samples, log, test scores, etc. I just keep a box and throw stuff in it; towards the end of the year I organize it into a port. Older kids may have essays and such they wrote on their computer; it's easy to print out copies of a few for the port.

4. You need to get an evaluation at the end of the year. Evaluators abound; many are homeschooling moms themselves and you should not fear them. (You might even have a friend or relative who can do it for you.) If you have high school kids you may want to pay more get a detailed evaluation, but most folks just choose to get the evaluator's signature on a basic form saying they've done what they needed to do and their kid is making progress. My friends often use the same evaluator as I do; we often meet at a park in a central location and the kids play while they're waiting for their turn to speak with her. It's a fun day out for all, and not a big deal.

5. At some time during 3rd, 5th, and 8th grades, you have to do standardized testing, the results of which go in the port. There are about 10 different tests to choose from. You can get them mail-order and swap testing with a friend, do them in a group-testing situation, or do a one-one-one through your evaluator. You'll pay about $25. Don't fear the tests.

6. You give the district copies of the port and written evaluation, they look at it and give it back. (Most folks submit the next year's affidavit at the same time.)

While this is all a pain, it should not impact the way you teach your dc. Read the law for yourself, so you know what's really required.

My web site has all kinds of info to help you through it. Start on my "portfolio summaries" page - read a few examples, and you should start feeling like you can do this.

:iagree:. Once you have done it for the first time it really is quite simple. Wish I did not have to do it but not difficult.

My daughter loves our evaluator, they spend hours discussing everything! Mainly for fun! She writes up a very basic, yes a quality education has been met form for us and that is what we turn in with our basic portfolio. We do 2-5 samples of each subject and if we did testing in those years(3rd,5th and 8th grade). I have my mother give the testing because it needs to be someone other than a parent. Could be a sibling but my daughter is the oldest.

Thank you, ladies. I have taken a look at Pauline's website before (that's what made me nervous, LOL), ;) but I will just have to grow up and get on with it if we do move.

Sigh.

One more question -- If the law hasn't changed much since 1991, does anyone think it's time to change it? Make it less... um, repressive? intrusive? Or does it just feel that way to us because we are living in NJ now? LOL, where the TAXES are repressive and intrusive. (Glare).

The title and publisher of every book we read? Really? That feels so Big Brother-ish to me. I don't want the state looking over our shoulder in that way.

What could an out-of-state person do to get the ball rolling in PA to change the HS law there? Has anyone in-state tried? :bigear: I would like to write a polite letter to Governor Tom Corbett. What says the Hive?

Do you know anyone who does NOT comply with this? Who objects to the law on "conscientious objector" grounds, or for religious reasons?

Sigh.

A lifelong friend of mine is moving near Jim Thorpe, to a little house out in the woods, up on a mountain. Oh, it is so lovely! Oh, I do love Pennsylvania! Can you tell we really, really, really want to "get out" of the urban-ness here? I'm not against NJ, it's just unaffordable in the long term. Besides, some of my happiest memories come from PA -- childhood at Blue Mountain Christian Retreat (New Ringgold), camping with family, vacations at the Delaware Gap, and our honeymoon in Lancaster County. ;)

I dream of our escape and then the dream turns into a homeschool law nightmare. I wake up in a cold sweat. Not pretty.

Thanks for your site, Pauline! I'm off to try to convince myself. I know I CAN comply with the law, I just don't WANT to. KWIM?

Edited by Sahamamama

Really, they aren't looking over your shoulder (it felt that way to me, too, the first year). They are filing the paperwork, that's all. It's a paper trail in case anyone ends up in court. It can save your butt. I don't think the laws will change. In fact, because of the law, I believe that homeschooling is more accepted here. Those that are nosey or unfamiliar with homeschooling know that we have a law and records. Those that are homeschooling know that there is a paper trail and witnesses to back them up if there were ever any issues. When I lived in IL, homeschooling was less familiar, people were more uncomfortable with homeschooling and homeschoolers, and there were the constant raised eyebrows of "you're not accountable to ANYONE?!" which can lead to all kinds of speculative thinking. And some naive homeschoolers felt that they didn't have to ever keep records or taking tests because it wasn't a requirement of law...but if they were ever dragged into court, they would have had a more difficult time proving. I actually feel more comfortable and safer homeschooling in PA than I did in IL.

Thank you, ladies. I have taken a look at Pauline's website before (that's what made me nervous, LOL), ;) but I will just have to grow up and get on with it if we do move.

Sigh.

One more question -- If the law hasn't changed much since 1991, does anyone think it's time to change it? Make it less... um, repressive? intrusive?

The title and publisher of every book we read? Really? That feels so Big Brother-ish to me. I don't want the state looking over our shoulder in that way.

What could an out-of-state person do to get the ball rolling in PA to change the HS law there? Has anyone in-state tried? :bigear: I would like to write a polite letter to Governor Tom Corbett. What says the Hive?

Do you know anyone who does NOT comply with this? Who objects to the law on "conscientious objector" grounds, or for religious reasons?

Since they only have to show samples and some of the books they read, they probably prefer to stay under the radar. Many states are wanting more control over home schooling. If they can get students back in ps the local school districts will get more federal dollars.

I need to file starting next year. These are the types of records I have been keeping. Will they be adequate for what is required in PA?

1) Year plan chart. 4 page word document with chart that has 36 rows for weeks with a column for each subject with what is to be covered for that week. (My road map for the year.)

2) weekly charts. 1 page word document for each week. 5 columns, one for each day of the week with a row for each subject. This chart is filled in during the week as things get accomplished. Specific chapters, pages, books are listed on the days they are done. By the end of the year there are 36+ such pages to print. (The route we actually took.)

3) yearly attendance. 2 page word document that is essentially a calendar. I highlight yellow the days we do school. (The days we participated in the journey.)

One more question -- If the law hasn't changed much since 1991, does anyone think it's time to change it? Make it less... um, repressive? intrusive? Or does it just feel that way to us because we are living in NJ now? LOL, where the TAXES are repressive and intrusive. (Glare).

FWIW, this is one homeschooler in PA who doesn't want to see the law changed. It's not horrid even if it is inconvenient once or twice a year. It's been very helpful at being ready for college apps as my boys have reached that age. A "completion" letter at the end of 12th grade also allows homeschoolers to be eligible for state grants for college.

While practically everyone on WTM would adequately educate their children with or without the law (making the law meaningless in this aspect), there are others out there who don't. The law is helpful at helping ensure all children get some sort of education. I think an educated society is worth the effort and inconvenience.

Edited by creekland

Thank you, ladies. I have taken a look at Pauline's website before (that's what made me nervous, LOL), ;)

Sorry! ;) I try to make it simple, but there are so many ifs, ands, and buts! (Just TRY to explain who has to file in one paragraph! Can't do it!) :D

One more question -- If the law hasn't

changed much since 1991, does anyone think it's time to change it?

Oh honey, that's a BIG can of worms.

The title and publisher of every book we read? Really?

NO. This is why you should read the law for yourself, and not rely on my or any one else's interpretation. The law says you need:

"a log,

made contemporaneously with the instruction,

which designates by title the reading materials used"

"By title" - Nothing about publisher. You decide what "reading materials" means. Is a math text a "reading material"? I don't think so, you may differ. I certainly don't list every single book my kid reads. If we study a novel, I list it. Look at my "portfolio summaries" page and Nance's blog to get a sense of this.

Yes. It's not common, but I've met quite a few people over the years who didn't comply, for one reason or another. If you choose to do so, do seriously think it through to possible consequences and be prepared for them. I don't recommend it, as it puts you in a vulnerable legal position. You're much more untouchable if you can show you've followed the law.

I dream of our escape and then the dream turns into a homeschool law nightmare. I wake up in a cold sweat. Not pretty.

Seriously. It's not hard. Unschoolers do this! You can do this. Read my portfolio summaries page. It will help, I promise!

Thanks for your site, Pauline! I'm off to try to convince myself. I know I CAN comply with the law, I just don't WANT to. KWIM?

Oh yes, I very much KWYM!!!

Edited by askPauline

I need to file starting next year. These are the types of records I have been keeping. Will they be adequate for what is required in PA?

1) Year plan chart. 4 page word document with chart that has 36 rows for weeks with a column for each subject with what is to be covered for that week. (My road map for the year.)

2) weekly charts. 1 page word document for each week. 5 columns, one for each day of the week with a row for each subject. This chart is filled in during the week as things get accomplished. Specific chapters, pages, books are listed on the days they are done. By the end of the year there are 36+ such pages to print. (The route we actually took.)

3) yearly attendance. 2 page word document that is essentially a calendar. I highlight yellow the days we do school. (The days we participated in the journey.)

Every district is different. That said, you need

--a log, ...which designates by title the reading materials used,

--samples of any writings, worksheets, workbooks or creative materials used or developed by the student

--and in grades three, five and eight results of nationally normed standardized achievement tests in reading/language arts and mathematics or the results of Statewide tests administered in these grade levels."

They need to demonstrate:

--a program consisting of instruction in the required subjects

--for the time required

--in which the student demonstrates sustained progress in the overall program.

So:

--Your yearly attendance page will document your days. This fulfills one of the three requirements. (Days, subjects, progress.)

--Your year plan chart sounds like it addresses the subjects, and may also list the major reading materials (making it your log). Or, if you wanted, you could write something similar that briefly summarized your approach to each subject, based on what you did rather than what you hoped to do.

--Your weekly charts sound like they address subjects and reading materials, but most home educators do not give anywhere near that level of detail. Most folks who I know who keep this level of detail don't put it in the port initially, but keep it in reserve in case they are asked to show more (which rarely happens).

For example, instead of such detailed records you could simply say "MATH: Regular work in a third grade math textbook. Included intro to multiplication, basic division facts, work in fractions and decimals, English and metric measurement. In addition, Jane enjoys logic problems, playing mathematical card games like SET, and using math in practical applications such as baking." And back it up with three or four samples of math work including a variety of problems; I like to use an end of year cumulative test type of thing, as it includes a mix of problems on a handful of worksheet pages. This approach shows that you've covered the subject, explains the scope of your work which backs up your days calendar, and shows your dc's progress through the samples of their work. For me, this approach gives the super what he needs in order to see appropriate ed, without going overboard or stressing me out. Your approach may vary. Read the law for yourself, again, as you do your port, to see what is required and what is not.

Whatever you submit that lists your reading materials can be labeled LOG at the top, so that it's clear what's what.

What's required and what is not is a huge subject, and I have to run, but it sounds like your records are more than adequate.

Edited by askPauline

SO there have been minor changes...for instance, no longer having to include name of publisher of book...

Recently someone was posting about homeschool laws in PA and how the supervisor of hs-ing in her area was asking for more than what was required. That may be of interest to you as well.

I forgot that when I was hs-ing in PA, I had to provide an outline of what I would be teaching that year, what materials we'd use. I asked the school to provide for me what they would be using and got an idea of what they were expecting, that helped me a lot.

Remember, that was all 1991, and maybe they've tweaked the law here and there.

There was a family with the last name of Richman, I think, who have a lot to say about homeschooling in PA, you might want to look them up too.

I'm not sitting here writing this in blood, just what I remember. :tongue_smilie:

I hope things go very well for you. Perhaps my reviewer was too picky about stuff, and like I said, at the time, it was required to have a PA state certified teacher do the reviews. ;)

Ack! Just realized that the links on my portfolio summaries page weren't working. I've fixed them and all should be well.

OP, check out the three or four port summaries for third graders on this page. Hopefully, it will help you get a sense of "I can do this". As you can see, they give a broad overview of the child's year, without unnecessary detail. They give off an air of confidence and capability, which is half the battle, IMHO. With a summary/log like this, you can add in a few nice work samples and an attendance calendar, test scores if needed, and the port is just about good to go.

You might find this helpful, it's a blog post I made regarding our most recent homeschool portfolio which was submitted to and "approved" by the school district. I broken it down step by step as to what I included, showed some pictures, and so on.

http://nancextoo.livejournal.com/226816.html

(Pauline, I don't know if you've seen that particular blog post of mine yet but you are welcome to reference it on your site if you want to)! :)

OP, I also have here a blog post showing the "Objectives" we filed prior to the homeschool year, as you will see I kept these pretty general/vague, and I've used them several years in a row now. If it ever comes down to it, you are welcome to use them, too, if you want, and you can use them as is or tweak a bit however you want!

http://nancextoo.livejournal.com/122810.html

If you look around the sidebar to the left of my blog, you will see other simple/helpful things like the summary I use, the book log I keep, the affidavit I submit with the objectives and so on and so forth.

Hope this helps!

Edited by NanceXToo

• 8 months later...
You might find this helpful, it's a blog post I made regarding our most recent homeschool portfolio which was submitted to and "approved" by the school district. I broken it down step by step as to what I included, showed some pictures, and so on.

http://nancextoo.livejournal.com/226816.html

(Pauline, I don't know if you've seen that particular blog post of mine yet but you are welcome to reference it on your site if you want to)! :)

OP, I also have here a blog post showing the "Objectives" we filed prior to the homeschool year, as you will see I kept these pretty general/vague, and I've used them several years in a row now. If it ever comes down to it, you are welcome to use them, too, if you want, and you can use them as is or tweak a bit however you want!

http://nancextoo.livejournal.com/122810.html

If you look around the sidebar to the left of my blog, you will see other simple/helpful things like the summary I use, the book log I keep, the affidavit I submit with the objectives and so on and so forth.

Hope this helps!

WOW! This post was so helpful. Next year is our first year having to log/submit/record anything and this was so helpful!!

Wow, Pauline is here!? I feel like I'm meeting a celebrity! ;)

Five years ago, when we moved to PA from Oregon, I thought I would never be able to comply. I still don't like doing everything but it's manageable, even for me - with a kid who is frequently too sick to produce much work, my own disorganized ways, and my somewhat unschoolish tendencies in some areas.

I'm getting ready to turn in portfolios for the 5th time. We do minimalist portfolios and have never had a problem.

Thanks Pauline!

You do NOT need to list the publisher. Just the title

I know a few people.

Oh my goodness- that is WAY too much! There is NOTHING inthe PA law saying you need to turn in anything this detailed... I beg you please DON'T! It sets a precedent and then other homeschoolers could be expected to turn in such things.... and many of us do not keep such accurate records.

LOL, for my kids, their scrap of paper or post-it-note might day: "Math- do the next lesson."

I'm short on time tonight, but I turn in maybe a dozen photocopied pages for my portfolio- front/back, ink-saver setting. No attendance record, and just a list of books by title. No lesson plans or anythign that detailed- not even for my objectives. I have truned in the same objectives every year- they are very generic, and very different from my actual lesson plans.

Much of the PA law is vague, and much of it is useless. You have to turn in objectives, but you don't have to meet them AND they can't be used to determine if you're in compliance. You have to turn in test results, but they have no basis on whether or not your child may continue to be homeschooled. A parent can't administer the standardized test but a sibling can.

So, homeschooling in PA is not difficult, just occasionally annoying.

And there is a network of evaluators that does basic evaluations following the law for FREE at certain times/locations. PM me for more info. :grouphug:

I'm short on time tonight, but I turn in maybe a dozen photocopied pages for my portfolio- front/back, ink-saver setting. No attendance record, and just a list of books by title. No lesson plans or anythign that detailed- not even for my objectives. I have truned in the same objectives every year- they are very generic, and very different from my actual lesson plans.

Much of the PA law is vague, and much of it is useless. You have to turn in objectives, but you don't have to meet them AND they can't be used to determine if you're in compliance. You have to turn in test results, but they have no basis on whether or not your child may continue to be homeschooled. A parent can't administer the standardized test but a sibling can.

So, homeschooling in PA is not difficult, just occasionally annoying.

And there is a network of evaluators that does basic evaluations following the law for FREE at certain times/locations. PM me for more info. :grouphug:

What part of PA are you in? I'm in Pittsburgh.

So do you turn in a daily log listing everything you've done that day? Next year will be our first year we're required to submit anything and I'm confused on what the daily log needs to be. Do I need to record every lesson with pages for each day?? In my head, that seems WAY too much but I'm not sure....Do you turn in a record of the 180 days?

What part of PA are you in? I'm in Pittsburgh.

So do you turn in a daily log listing everything you've done that day? Next year will be our first year we're required to submit anything and I'm confused on what the daily log needs to be. Do I need to record every lesson with pages for each day?? In my head, that seems WAY too much but I'm not sure....Do you turn in a record of the 180 days?

I am in an eastern suburb of Pgh kinda near the turnpike/parkway intersection... my school district rhymes with "Rum." :D

I do not turn in a daily log- my log is a list of books. I have also never turned in a record of 180 days- actually, I count hours, as our days vary so much- either way we far exceed the requirement. My portfolio is pretty thin.

What I do/keep for my own records is not necessarily what I turn in to the school district- and I often show more detailed personal work to the evaluator but don't include those pages to the school district. And the "objectives" I turn in at the beginning of the year are NOT my detailed lesson plans.

Do you know there is a network of free evaluators? They have park days on Wednesdays- it's like a big party and the kids happen to get an evaluation in, too. If you're interested send me a PM and I'll give you the email link for more info.

Read the law for yourself, and decide what you feel it is asking of you, and what you feel is reasonable to give.

The law says "a log, made contemporaneously with the instruction, which designates by title the reading materials used".

These are the passages I feel relate to the portfolio:

"Appropriate education" shall mean a program consisting of instruction in the required subjects for the time required in this act and in which the student demonstrates sustained progress in the overall program."

"In order to demonstrate that appropriate education is occurring, the supervisor of the home education program shall provide and maintain on file the following documentation for each student enrolled in the home education programĂ¢â‚¬Â¦"

"Such documentation [the portfolio (log, samples of work, and test scores) and evaluatorĂ¢â‚¬â„¢s report] Ă¢â‚¬Â¦shall be provided to the public school district of residence superintendent at the conclusion of each public school year."

"The portfolio shall consist of

a log, made contemporaneously with the instruction, which designates by title the reading materials used,

samples of any writings, worksheets, workbooks or creative materials used or developed by the student

and in grades three, five and eight results of nationally normed standardized achievement tests in reading/language arts and mathematics or the results of Statewide tests administered in these grade levels."

While I have run across a handful of people over the years who turn in a daily log of everything they've done, it seems rare. Another approach, if you have a daily log, is to keep it in reserve as "back up" in case you are challenged, and instead go with the much more common "log of reading materials".

If you want to address the 180 days in some way (as a part of demonstrating that appropriate education is occuring), you might want to read my page about the required days/hours.

I see the first attendance form listed here in almost every portfolio I come across. (There are, of course, many other ways to demonstrate the days/hours component of "appropriate education"; attendance records per se are not specifically required by law.)

I do not turn in a daily log, either. I interpret it to mean a log of reading materials by title. As for a record of days/hours, I submit an attendance statement which is on my blog (you saw the link to my portfolio page already). All the info about what I submit is there!

Marbel lol I know, I felt the same way about Pauline and the celebrity thing when I first saw her join here. She's awesome, I hope to get a chance to meet her in person one day! :)

I am seriously considering if I will be able to homeschool as a "private tutor" instead of under the homeschooling law since I have my teaching certificate.

Everytime I look at the homeschooling requirements it seems so overwhelming.

askPauline's site has been wonderful to help me sort through it all!

I am seriously considering if I will be able to homeschool as a "private tutor" instead of under the homeschooling law since I have my teaching certificate.

askPauline's site has been wonderful to help me sort through it all!

Me too! Though my teaching certificate is from GA so they probably won't accept it. Right now I'm just glad I don't have to start recording until the kids are older, sheesh! Luckily I really do think a classical-style education makes it pretty easy to meet these requirements in a way that makes sense to the people reviewing the portfolios. It's not like we're trying to pass off 'videogames' as a legit unit study in 7th grade like one mom I know did with her son, rofl!

BTW, has anyone had a problem with them not believing your child's samples are their own? My oldest is a little nuts and he's reading on a 2nd grade level at 4 so I am worried they might not believe my book lists and student work samples when we get to 1st/2nd grade when we are submitting them. I distinctly remember being accused of cheating in public school because my work submitted was 'too good' to be my own, which is absurd imo since I'm pretty average, but it's made me nervous ever since. So I worry that they might accuse us of making up stuff for T, at least until he takes his first standardized test and can kind of prove it.

I look at all people write about PA and wonder if I'm actually living in the state or not.

Here, all we have to do is go by our school office. They give us a paper that needs to be notarized and returned (one paper for as many kids as we have not one paper each) and we turn in objectives which are basically subjects we plan to cover.

Over the school year my guys have calendar pages printed off where they mark #1 - #180 each day they do school. We hardly skip any days except major holidays and weekends, so school can be finished relatively early.

As they do their school they write down books they've read - actually - they keep a list on the computer, but... paper would work. They also keep a few samples of their work and put it in a portfolio.

At the end of the year they organize it all to make sure it looks neat and we get together with our evaluator (a personal friend). We have fun discussing the year, then add in the evaluator's sheet.

We drop it off at school and are done until they call to say all is well and pick it back up - getting the next year's paper to start the process.

It all takes less than a couple of hours cumulative. We don't even see the school regarding homeschooling other than the beginning and the end (twice per year). We've never had anything questioned.

This year I'm finished. Middle son is my last homeschooler and he graduated May 31st. He added his acceptance letter to the University of Rochester... and starts there planning a neuroscience major in Aug. ;) I'm going to miss him...:crying:

Can I ask if your certificate is active? Mine is currently frozen. I'm wondering if I have to unfreeze it.

From the PDE website:

Continuing Education (Act 48)

The law specifically exempts evaluators and private tutors from having to maintain an active status for Act 48 Continuing Professional Development. This means a private tutor does not have to maintain Act 48 hours. See 24 P.S. § 12-1205.1.

Mine isn't active, but I'm only about 12 Act 48 hours away from reactivation. I'm not going to bother, though. I don't know how many in my school district try to use the Private Tutor law, so I'm curious if I'm going to get any flak about it. I'm also certified for secondary, not elementary, but the law doesn't specify that your certification has to be for the level you're teaching. Wish me luck! :D

From the PDE website:

The law specifically exempts evaluators and private tutors from having to maintain an active status for Act 48 Continuing Professional Development. This means a private tutor does not have to maintain Act 48 hours. See 24 P.S. § 12-1205.1.

Mine isn't active, but I'm only about 12 Act 48 hours away from reactivation. I'm not going to bother, though. I don't know how many in my school district try to use the Private Tutor law, so I'm curious if I'm going to get any flak about it. I'm also certified for secondary, not elementary, but the law doesn't specify that your certification has to be for the level you're teaching. Wish me luck! :D

Thank you for this link!

So my basic understanding is:

1. (As a tutor) Send a letter to the district stating the names and ages of your children that you are tutoring, along with a copy of certification and clearances.

2. (as a parent) Send a letter to the district saying your child will be privately tutored.

3. (as a parent) Send a letter saying all the curriculum/requirements are being met by the tutor.

is that about it?

Edited by lorisuewho

From the PDE website:

Except that 24 P.S. § 12-1205.1. says:

(e) The requirements of this section and section 1205.2 do not apply to a professional educator not employed by a school entity who serves as an evaluator of a home education program authorized under section 1327.1(e)(2) or who provides private tutoring services as part of a home education program under section 1327.1.

And private tutors, as we are using the term here, do NOT provide their private tutoring services as a part of a home education program under 1327.1 (which is the "usual" homeschooling law), rather, they provide private tutoring services under 1327 (a), which is a different category altogether. Students who are privately tutored (as we are using the term here) are NOT enrolled in a home education program, nor do they have to fulfill any of the home education program requirements (affidavit, evaluation, testing, etc.) set out in 1327.1.

SO - the phrase "or who provides private tutoring services as part of a home education program under section 1327.1" is basically meaningless, as anyone who a parent is willing to hire can teach or tutor home education (1327.1) students - they don't even need to be certified, let alone Act 48-current.

SO - it's nice that the PDE is willing to interpret this to mean that private tutors don't have to meet Act 48 requirements, but I just want it to be clear that the previous PDE liaison did not interpret it this way, and it may or may not be interpreted this way in the future.

OF course, if your district is OK with what the PDE says (and most are) then you're good to go. My impression is that it is highly unlikely a district will quibble over Act 48, and if they do the PDE will back you up, so it's well worth doing, but I just want to be clear that the PDE's interpretation is a fairly new one and not on super-solid legal ground.

More discussion, legal references, handy-dandy forms, etc. etc. at my website as usual - here's the private tutor page:

http://home.comcast.net/~askpauline/hs/homeschooltutor.html

And this is way complicated and I am not a lawyer; I welcome any discussion of anything I may have wrong etc. - I continue to evolve in my understanding of all this.

Thank you for this link!

1. (As a tutor) Send a letter to the district stating the names and ages of your children that you are tutoring, along with a copy of certification and clearances.

2. (as a parent) Send a letter to the district saying your child will be privately tutored.

3. (as a parent) Send a letter saying all the curriculum/requirements are being met by the tutor.

is that about it?

Directing you to askPauline

There's a "handy-dandy packet" you can use there. My understanding is that the tutor informs the school district at the beginning of tutoring, and the parent assures them at the end of the school year that the requirements have been met. Your #2 is not necessary.

Thank you for this link!

is that about it?

Kind of. The previous PDE liason thought you needed to do 2 and 3. However, the current PDE liasion has changed it to be 1 and 3, and my reading of the law agrees with this. I can't find anything that says you need to do 2.

I have a handy-dandy form set that includes ready-to-use letters for 1 and 3, (which you can modify as you desire based on your understanding of the law, etc.) plus copies of the relevant law and code to enclose as well so that the district knows what the heck you're talking about when you submit your stuff.

See here:

It's worth reading the whole page, even though it's not fun.

And just to be clear - I don't want to discourage anyone from doing private tutor!! I think it's an excellent option that, while there is confusion, generally goes more-or-less smoothly. I just like folks to know the ins and outs of any potential issues up-front. I'm kinda geeky that way. :-)

I have a handy-dandy form set that includes ready-to-use letters for 1 and 3, (which you can modify as you desire based on your understanding of the law, etc.) plus copies of the relevant law and code to enclose as well so that the district knows what the heck you're talking about when you submit your stuff.

See here:

It's worth reading the whole page, even though it's not fun.

And just to be clear - I don't want to discourage anyone from doing private tutor!! I think it's an excellent option that, while there is confusion, generally goes more-or-less smoothly. I just like folks to know the ins and outs of any potential issues up-front. I'm kinda geeky that way. :-)

Wow! That is a "handy-dandy" form set. Thank you!!

And private tutors, as we are using the term here, do NOT provide their private tutoring services as a part of a home education program under 1327.1 (which is the "usual" homeschooling law), rather, they provide private tutoring services under 1327 (a), which is a different category altogether. Students who are privately tutored (as we are using the term here) are NOT enrolled in a home education program, nor do they have to fulfill any of the home education program requirements (affidavit, evaluation, testing, etc.) set out in 1327.1.

You're right, of course. I should have specified that the language used at the PDE's own website doesn't jive with the law as written. I happen to like the way that the PDE interpreted this particular bit of the law, though :D And if I recall correctly, nowhere in the Private Tutor law does it specify that the tutor's certificate must be active.

But Pauline is right on this one, too: read the law yourself!

Remember that everything I say is from someone who has yet to actually file this way--this will be my first year that I'm required to do so. I'm actually slightly nervous that my school district will give me a runaround. They have a private tutor "policy" on their website that references the old law--you know, the one where the superintendent has the right to approve the tutor? Yeah. I kinda hope I don't have to be the one to educate the district. :glare:

It's always tricky to mess with the law, even if it's a bad one, because the *new* one could be worse. If the legislators decide that they can somehow make PA's law even more restrictive, that would be the time to beat feet to the capital. And FTR, ITA that PA's law is repressive. I say this as someone who hsed in California (no testing, no minimum # of school days, no contact other than filing an annual affidavit) and now live in Texas (where as fas as I can tell the only requirement to homeschool is to have children).

I'm thinking that I'd write a sampling, not every.single.book.

NO!!! Don't do it!!! Let sleeping dogs lie!!

Oh, I think that there are a good number of homeschooling families in PA that would like to see the law changed. It seems so redundant to have to prove ourselves to both an evaluator and a superintendent. I wouldn't let it deter you from homeschooling in PA, however. It's just paperwork.

Affidavit and objectives sent in certified mail in the summer. I don't send in my kid's shot records or any medical records, I consider those private. I state in my affidavit that those records are on file with our family physician. I figure our family doctor is more of an authority on what care my kids need than some school nurse who has never met them and apparently the school district agrees. I don't send in a copy of my high school diploma, I just state in my affidavit that I have one. They already know a high school diploma from a public school in Pennsylvania is worthless, they issue a slew of them every year. My objectives are general enough to use every year.

I find the portfolio a pain, mainly because I don't like to send my handwritten records in to anyone. Homeschooling classically means I have a ton of work samples. The evaluation part is quick and painless if you choose your evaluator carefully. I've found it is helpful to do a little email or phone 'interview' with them first to find out what they expect. I had one nutcase tell me she refused to sign off on any evaluations for a kid unless the parents presented 'evidence of socialization outside the home'. She felt that this would help screen out abusive parents. We didn't end up hiring that one.

I haven't had any problems dealing with my school district. With all of their budget cuts, drug raids, teacher lay-offs and other issues in the news they don't seem interested in nit-picking my paperwork. If they did I would be happy to tell them that they can tell me how to teach my kids when their kids can read, write and do math well above grade level like mine can.

Can I ask if your certificate is active? Mine is currently frozen. I'm wondering if I have to unfreeze it.

Hi Lori! :seeya: Did I give you my friend's contact info, so you can ask her how she does it? If not, PM me; she'd be happy to talk with you.

To other people, I think the law is, as written, pointless. It's a bunch of hoops to jump through, and I'd rather them not require any of it, because I don't feel that it's any of their business, but none of it is that big of a deal, and there is a TON of leeway and vagueness in the law. You get to pick your own evaluator from a list, pick your tests from a list, etc., and you don't even ever have to have a child in testing grades if you don't want to, since you, the parent, set the grade level based on whatever criteria *you* choose. It's pretty painless to check off days on a calendar and keep a list of books and some samples (and it does make a nice keepsake for your child). In comparison, we've looked at homeschooling laws in other states, and for instance, WV looks easy, but I saw some things that said a lot of people were having trouble with the requirements. I really would not want the PA laws changed, because they might be worse!

• 2 weeks later...

Affidavit and objectives sent in certified mail in the summer. I don't send in my kid's shot records or any medical records, I consider those private. I state in my affidavit that those records are on file with our family physician. I figure our family doctor is more of an authority on what care my kids need than some school nurse who has never met them and apparently the school district agrees.

do you have to have the doctor sign this also? I'm trying to figure out what I've got to do and the medical part was confusing. It seems like your options are: send in the records, have the doctor fill out a form from the school district, or file an exemption stating that you object to vaccines and medical exams. Am I understanding that correctly? TIA

do you have to have the doctor sign this also? I'm trying to figure out what I've got to do and the medical part was confusing. It seems like your options are: send in the records, have the doctor fill out a form from the school district, or file an exemption stating that you object to vaccines and medical exams. Am I understanding that correctly? TIA

I have our drs sign a paper that states the kids are seen regularly and those records are maintained in the office.

Pauline's site was a lifesaver for me.

It looks complicated and awful and overwhelming at first glance (the process, that is, not Pauline's site haha), but once you read it over a couple of times, break it down step by step, and go through the process once, you realize it wasn't as complicated or overwhelming as you'd feared.

We moved into PA in March. I just finished my first portfolio E.V.E.R - coming from a state without them- and could not have done it without her site.

Granted, I know we are not staying here and will be moving again but that is another subject. ;)

You could also put a statement in your affidavit; that's the easiest.

We moved into PA in March. I just finished my first portfolio E.V.E.R - coming from a state without them- and could not have done it without her site.

Awww, thanks! I'm not always good at returning emails when folks ask me questions, so it's nice to have a reminder that even if I'm not answering every last question, I'm still helping a lot of folks. It really gives me a boost to get a vote of appreciation!

Thanks! I guess what I'm trying to figure out is if this is necessary or if that can be stated in the affidavit.

Personally I state it in the affidavit. The old PDE person would go to bat for you if your district balked; not sure of the new PDE person's stand. You are submitting a sworn affidavit that you've done the requirements (assuming the affidavit you use is worded that way); it seems reasonable to me that it should be enough. The old PDE person added the caveat that if there were concerns raised or the district had reason to believe you were lying, then it would be reasonable for them to ask for further evidence, but that it was not necessary as a routine thing.

You could also put a statement in your affidavit; that's the easiest.

Personally I state it in the affidavit. The old PDE person would go to bat for you if your district balked; not sure of the new PDE person's stand. You are submitting a sworn affidavit that you've done the requirements (assuming the affidavit you use is worded that way); it seems reasonable to me that it should be enough. The old PDE person added the caveat that if there were concerns raised or the district had reason to believe you were lying, then it would be reasonable for them to ask for further evidence, but that it was not necessary as a routine thing.

Thank you! That is very helpful. I've been going back and forth between your site and the PDE site trying to figure it out.