Menu

What Disney restaurants are MUSTS?

Calling all of you Disney-buffs! (DawnM and DianeW88 come to mind! :D - and I KNOW there are more!)

I'm planning my Disney time. I have been before (it's been awhile) and found that some restaurants are awesome, and some are just okay. If you were limiting yourself to only 4 restaurants (sit-down, or fast-food, either one) which would you pick?

Epcot:

Sit down:

Coral Reef (dh says this one is just okay, but the rest of my family begs to differ. We all LOVE it!)

LeCellier (DEFINITELY a favorite)

Counter:

Mexico!!!! (It's cheap too!)

Have a beer in England (My sister and I joked that we drank our way around the world in Epcot. We each probably had three drinks over the course of the afternoon. Made it a lot of fun!!! LOL)

Magic Kingdom

Sit down

Cinderella's Table - the food here is GREAT and the experience is one I'll never forget. The look on my dd's face when the princesses greeted her was priceless.

Counter service:

I forget the name, but it's across from the race cars. It's a burger/chicken place. They have an AWESOME toppings bar. You can get one entree for two people and make huge salads.

At Resorts:

Boma (African feast - this is hands down our favorite meal!)

O'Hanas (Great food and awesome experience - coconut races for the kids!)

Whispering Canyon (I'm not in love with the food. The kids LOVE the experience here.)

We've also done the dinner shows - Hoop De Doo Musical Revue. FUN!!!! And, the food was decent. The Hawaiian Luau (I forget the name of it) dinner show was fun too. I preferred the food at that one.

We never do any of the "fancier" restaurants just cause we are not that type.....and the menus do not appeal to my picky taste buds LOL. But here's our faves:

Hoop De Doo - best food ever!! And the show is hilarious.

Whispering Canyon

Crystal Palace - this is a staple when we go

O'Hanas breakfast (only ever been to breakfast there).

Mickeys Backyard BBQ

We've also done the dinner shows - Hoop De Doo Musical Revue. FUN!!!! And, the food was decent. The Hawaiian Luau (I forget the name of it) dinner show was fun too. I preferred the food at that one.

Oh, yes! Thanks! That reminds me --- I would also like everyone's take on the dinner shows. A Must? Or not so much? Which one is the best?

Thanks to all! I LOVE getting suggestions from the real experts rather than from a book! :D

We have to do Ohana every time. For breakfast AND dinner. We lived in Hawaii for a few years, it's kinda nostalgic... the food is pretty good too. Breakfast is better than dinner, LOVE that pineapple bread, YUM!!!

1900 Park Fare breakfast is a must too.

OK, so, we always do most of the character breakfasts, LOL! We just like them :)

So, we do.... 1900 Park Fare, Ohana, Akershus, Donald's (at AK) on every trip, sometimes twice on a trip.

DO NOT LIKE CHEF MICKEY'S. We avoid it at all costs.

We also love Le Cellier and Marrakesh (in Morocco). Coral Reef was good. The place in Mexico can't be beat for ambiance... food was just OK.

We are trying all new (to us) places this year. :D

I am the cheap one, remember???? :lol:

My boys really love T-Rex at Downtown Disney (and there are coupons!) and Rainforest Cafe at DTD and Animal Kingdom.

We like the curry dish at ABC Cafe (does it have a new name?) at Hollywood Studios. We also like SciFi Cafe, but it is pricier. The food at SciFi isn't that great but the atmosphere is fun.

I will think of some more in a bit.

Epcot:

Counter service:

I forget the name, but it's across from the race cars. It's a burger/chicken place. They have an AWESOME toppings bar. You can get one entree for two people and make huge salads.

Cosmic Ray's Starlight Cafe :) It's OK food, but we go here on EVERY trip, always on the last night.... I accidentally started that tradition on my band trips in 9th and 11th grades. It was just a coincidence that our last night, we ate at Cosmic Rays... so, the next time we went, we did the same.... and the next, and the next, LOL, and now I feel cosmically doomed if we don't eat at Cosmic Rays on our last night :)

Really?!!!? Wow! That's interesting! I'm glad you spoke up! I was thinking that would be the fun place to do a character breakfast this year. What did you not like about it?

The food, blech. The service, blech. The restaurant itself, blech. It's always dirty, has no real theming, etc. Also, it's seems to be the black hole of rude/horrible people as there just always seems to be a high proportion of them there.... I dunno why. After 3 trips with the same experiences, we quit going. Haven't been back since 2006... but reviews seem to point to the fact that it hasn't gotten better.

we love the food court (sunshine seasons) at the Land in epcot. We ate there 3 times on our last visit. Great turkey sandwiches. Also the only restuarant that my kids really want to go back to is Coral Reef in epcot. We were right next to the aquarium window, my kids loved watching everything and we had the best waiter. Dh wants to go back to the 50's diner or cafe (I can't remember the name) at Movie Studios.

We hated the sit down place in Mexico in epcot.

our favorite breakfast was at the Polynesian Resort , it was their regular breakfast place, nothing fancy but we loved the pancakes.

We like it there too (the Land). They even have a few kids' meals that are more unique.

There is a sweet and sour with rice for kids and a chicken and mashed potatoes.

Coral Reef used to have an ice cream social hour for about $4 and we really liked that. But now it is only a meal.

Dawn

we love the food court (sunshine seasons) at the Land in epcot. We ate there 3 times on our last visit. Great turkey sandwiches. Also the only restuarant that my kids really want to go back to is Coral Reef in epcot. We were right next to the aquarium window, my kids loved watching everything and we had the best waiter. Dh wants to go back to the 50's diner or cafe (I can't remember the name) at Movie Studios.

We hated the sit down place in Mexico in epcot.

our favorite breakfast was at the Polynesian Resort , it was their regular breakfast place, nothing fancy but we loved the pancakes.

Oh, yes! Thanks! That reminds me --- I would also like everyone's take on the dinner shows. A Must? Or not so much? Which one is the best?

Thanks to all! I LOVE getting suggestions from the real experts rather than from a book! :D

How long will you be there? We went to the dinner shows during our longer trips. We didn't feel like we were taking time away from the parks that way. They're good, but not a must. There are so many shows at the parks that are good too. Don't miss those!!

Of the two I mentioned (Hoop De Doo and the Luau) my older boys liked the Luau better because of the guy juggling fire! Meg liked the Hoop De Doo because of the dancing girls.

Really?!!!? Wow! That's interesting! I'm glad you spoke up! I was thinking that would be the fun place to do a character breakfast this year. What did you not like about it?

The food really is just so-so. It's your typical American breakfast. The characters are at your table for such a short time. Go to the character greetings at the parks for more time.

We all really loved:

Tusker House

Cinderella's Royal Table

Teppan Edo

Pizza Planet (food was good and the kids were well entertained by the decor)

Restuarantosaurus (same as above)

The food was really bad at Sci-fi Dine-in. I wanted to like the concept, but because we split up into "cars" we spent the entire meal with the kids trying to get the attention of those not at their table. :glare:

Darn those homeschooled kids and their good sibling relationships! :tongue_smilie:

We've only been once so I'm no expert but the two I'd go back to again are Boma at Animal Kingdom Lodge, our favorite for the food, and Coral Reef at Epcot, our favorite for the atmosphere.

At Coral Reef we specifically requested a table next to the aqarium and let them know we'd be willing to wait. We arrived about 15 minutes before our actual reservation time to help cut down on the time. We waited maybe 10 minutes total and it was worth it. We all loved being right there to see all the fish, sharks, stingrays, etc...

Edited by Paintedlady

Okey dokey, here ya go:

Table Service in Magic Kingdom

Liberty Tree Tavern for lunch (that's a "first day" must-do for us...love the Colony Salad and the Ooey Gooey Toffee Cake)

Crystal Palace (character breakfast...we prefer the breakfast to the dinner)

Counter Service in Magic Kingdom

Columbia Harbor House

Cosmic Ray's

Main St. Bakery (breakfast)

Pecos Bill is ok for burgers and such...the outside seating gives you a great view of the Main St. Electrical Parade when it passes by.

Snacks in Magic Kingdom

Dole whip...and all it's luscious relatives

Cream cheese filled pretzels at the Lunching Pad

Funnel Cake at Sleepy Hollow

Table Service in Epcot

I love almost everything here and we are adventurous eaters, so I try lots of different foods!

Le Cellier (for lunch, because we do the dining plan and it's only one credit for lunch...not worth two for dinner, IMHO)

Rose & Crown Pub (great spot to eat and watch Illuminations)

Les Chefs de France (again, lunch. Remy appears here at certain times and he is soooo cute.

The food is equally yummy!)

Tutto Italia

Via Napoli (for the pizza)

Biergarten (if you like German food and ooompa bands..it's fun)

San Angel Inn (the atmosphere is outstanding...the food can be hit or miss)

Counter Service at Epcot

Tangierine Cafe (Morrocan food...really yummy and they have other choices for kids without exotic taste buds)

La Boulangerie Patisserie (great place for delicious sandwiches or quiche and fabulous French pastries)

Sunshine Seasons (really healthy food in a food court atmosphere with lots of choices)

Krigla Bakeri Og Kafe (excellent sandwiches and my favorite....school bread!!)

Lotus Blossom Cafe (if you want something different than burgers)

Snacks at Epcot

Fife & Drum My kids love the American Dream Drink. It's basically blue slurpee, ice cream, red slurpee, layered in a cup. Really refreshing on a hot, humid day though!

Karamel Kuche Anything you buy here is delicious! I love the sea salt topped caramels. But seriously....ANYTHING!!

There's also the Coca-Cola sponsored place....can't remember the name...between Future World and World Showcase, where you can sample Coke products from around the world. If you're brave...try Beverly. You'll need a chaser in the other hand though. ;)

The Japanese department store had fun candy items that my kids always love to try.

Kagi Kori (basically a snow cone, but with lots of cool flavors...try honeydew) in the Japan pavillion

Table Service at Hollywood Studios

50s Prime Time Cafe (fun, fun, fun!! My kids love eating here for the atmosphere as well as the food. The PB&J milkshake is sooooo good. I thought it would be :ack2:, but it was :001_wub:)

The Hollywood Brown Derby (delicious and more fancy, but the food is very good. My kids wanted to eat there because of the "I Love Lucy" episode with William Holden. They enjoyed it, too.)

Sci-Fi Drive In (more for atmosphere than the food, but my kids LOVE it. The milkshakes are good, the ribs are yummy and the burgers are decent. I wouldn't order anything else, though.)

Counter Service at Hollywood Studios

Starring Rolls (good sandwiches, decadent cupcakes)

Studio Catering Co.

Fairfax Faire (ribs and barbeque)

Snacks at Hollywood Studios

Starring Rolls (again...the cupcakes)

Table Service at Animal Kingdom

We actually have never eaten at a table service restaurant here, although I've heard the Yak & Yeti sit-down place is fairly good.

Counter Service at Animal Kingdom

Flame Tree Barbeque (hands down winner. HUGE portions, yummy food)

Tamu Tamu (they have a choice of three sandwiches, but they're decent and the line goes fast when it's crowded)

Yak & Yeti (the counter service window...we enjoyed this. Typical Panda Express type chinese food, but my kids ate it up and we got in some veggies.)

Snacks at Animal Kingdom

We haven't actually eaten specific snacks here. I'll have to remedy that in the name of research the next time we go.

Table Service at Resort Hotels

Ohana at the Polynesian (great dinner with lots of fun to accompany it)

1900 Park Fare (go for dinner just to see the stepsisters, stepmother, Cinderella and the Prince. The stepsisters are HYSTERICAL! The food is ok...typical buffet, although the strawberry soup is good.)

Boma (African buffet with lots of sweet, cinnamony and fruity flavors to the foods. Fun place.)

Whispering Canyon Cafe (the waiters make the night so much fun, plus you can get a milkshake with your dinner...and free refills. Just don't ask for ketchup! ;))

I think that's it. LOL If I remember anything else, I'll come back and add it. We have so much fun eating at WDW...it's always a great part of our vacation.

Edited by DianeW88

I agree with the others about Chef Mickey's-- so NOT worth it!

I am kind of a food snob, so I really don't like counter service food. :tongue_smilie: My favorite table service restaurants are:

California Grill-- super yum and amazing views!

Jiko-- my 2nd favorite signature restaurant

Le Cellier-- love the cheese soup and the maple creme brulee

'Ohana-- super fun and yummy Polynesian family style meal

Yachtsman Steakhouse and Flying Fish Cafe are both very good if you are over in the Boardwalk/Beach Club area of the resort.

We are DVC members and go at least once a year (we don't live close). We go in October and I'm so excited! Have fun planning!

Epcot:

Sit down:

Coral Reef (dh says this one is just okay, but the rest of my family begs to differ. We all LOVE it!)

LeCellier (DEFINITELY a favorite)

Counter:

Mexico!!!! (It's cheap too!)

Have a beer in England (My sister and I joked that we drank our way around the world in Epcot. We each probably had three drinks over the course of the afternoon. Made it a lot of fun!!! LOL)

Magic Kingdom

Sit down

Cinderella's Table - the food here is GREAT and the experience is one I'll never forget. The look on my dd's face when the princesses greeted her was priceless.

Counter service:

At Resorts:

Boma (African feast - this is hands down our favorite meal!)

O'Hanas (Great food and awesome experience - coconut races for the kids!)

Whispering Canyon (I'm not in love with the food. The kids LOVE the experience here.)

I bolded and changed to red my favorites from this post, and would add:

50s Prime Time Cafe (Hollywood studios) and Flying Fish. (boardwalk)

Boma WAS so awesome! and Ohana's is awesome too. Especially their bread pudding.

As a huge Disney fan, I love this thread! Must of this has been said, but I'll just add my encouragement for the following MUSTS:

Cinderella's Castle- they have character breakfasts now that are a little less expensive than the dinners/lunches. We did the breakfast in June. I liked it because it was less crowded, but I did not like another character breakfast!

Akershus- If you like princesses, this is another place to see them. It is in Epcot, has a great appetizer buffet, and is (again) less crowded and less difficult to book.

Le Cellier- So yummy, but we don't go with our kids. The prices are expensive. I think it is even two sit down meal points if you are on the dining plan.

Garden Grill in Epcot- Much of the food is grown in "The Land" and it is by far some of the freshest food at Disney. It is one of those moving dining places- you know it rotates around slowly and features Chip and Dale, Mickey, and Goofy.

This is going to sound silly, but it you have time you should go to Youtube and type in Disney dining. They have all sorts of 20 minute shows about Disney food, dining places, etc. The one I liked gave great hints about fast service places . . . it was kind of the "gourmet" of fast service.

Have fun!

You have been given a lot of good advice. I will caution anyone reading this about Whispering Canyon Cafe as it is very loud in there. I have one sensitive to noise and he went into complete and total meltdown mode because of that place. I wish I could tell you about the food there, but I just shoveled what I could in as quickly as I could so we could get out of there.

I really like the atmosphere at Sci-Fi Dine-In--really, where else can you eat in a car under a starry sky watching cheesy clips from really old sci-fi movies (and I am normally someone who doesn't much care for sci-fi at all)? Foodwise, though, stick to basics, as DianeW advised--a Reuben or a burger (the burger's not listed as an option on the dinner menu, but you can still order it)is a pretty safe bet, and the milkshakes are very good. If I recall correctly, the price range is on the lower end for a sit-down restaurant at WDW.

Forgot to add the Crystal Palace at Magic Kingdom. Typical buffet but the Mickey waffles anywhere you can them are awesome.

We went early before the park opened and had a character breakfast. We liked that as soon as we were done with breakfast we were already in the park and ready to hit the rides.

BOMA

Ohana character breakfast

Tony's (just inside the MK in Main Street USA)

The Garden Grill in The Land at EPCOT-go for the character meal. Take the ride through the Disney gardens before your dinner. Much of the food and fish that are served in the Grill are grown there.

1900 Park Fare for the character dinner. It was so much fun. Indy got to dance with Cinderella and my cousin's daughter got to dance with Prince Charming. A highlight to be sure. The stepmother are step sisters are a hoot.

Le Cellier

The Mexican sit down restaurant in Mexico (can't remember the name)

The Brown Derby

Maybe we are weird, but we all loved Chef Mickey's! It was super fun and the food and service was great when we went.

Akershus in Norway was our favorite character meal because of the princesses.

Crystal Palace is great!

Coral Reef is fun! My girls loved the aquarium.

That's about all I can remember. We weren't really impressed with many of the counter service places.

The only one we felt was a "must" that we'd pay for again was BOMA. The African place. It was AWESOME.

:iagree: BOMA is the favorite of my entire family by far.

Boma WAS so awesome!

Another vote for Boma. Dh and I are still talking about it five years later! If we ever manage to get back to Disney World it's on the top of our must-do list.

Not sure if these have been mentioned yet or not, but here are some of our favorites.

*Kona Cafe at the Polynesian for breakfast. Delicious!!!

*Wolfgang Puck Express in Downtown Disney. YUM!

*Plaza Restaurant in Magic Kingdom. Just good, simple food.

*Goofy's Candy Store. This is just a fun place to go to get yummy treats.

*Sunshine Seasons at Epcot. Great place for lunch. Lots of choices.

Not impressed by:

*Chef Mickey's. Food was mediocre at best.

*LeCellier. I know people rave about this place, but I have never been too impressed with my meals.

*Tutto Italia. Again, another favorite that we just didn't care for at all.

We are going in November and look forward to trying some new places for us.

*Donalds Safari Breakfast in Animal Kingdom. Heard it is wonderful!

*Coral Reef in Epcot. Mixed reviews, but curious to find out for ourselves.

*Crystal Palace in Magic Kingdom. Supposed to be a fun character breakfast which I hope our son will really enjoy.

*Garden Grill in Epcot. Another first, but we are doing more character meals for our son's first trip and this place had pretty good reviews.

Visit http://www.easywdw.com for more information or http://www.allears.net for menus and pricing. Great sites!

Enjoy and have fun!!! By the way, did you score free dining??? Hope so because that is a great deal! :)

Akershus in Norway was our favorite character meal because of the princesses.QUOTE]

We liked it for this reason as well, but we all hated the food, and we were really glad that we had free dining for that trip. The four adults present got four different things, and we didn't like any of it. That was 2006, so I don't know if it still applies.

We really enjoyed Coral Reef; great atmosphere and the food was good, fresh and tasty (a bit bland for our tastes, but most non-south-Louisiana food is).

Yak and Yetis at AK is a favorite.

Sci Fi Diner was fun but we couldn't stand the noise; there is no way to lower the speakers.

We didn't like the food in Morocco at Epcot, it had no seasoning to speak of(which seemed odd), but interesting atmosphere and dh liked the belly dancers ;)

For counter service, we like Cosmic Ray's and the Main Street Bakery best at Magic Kingdom, but there are lots of good choices. Pizza Planet at Hollywood Studios has pretty good salads as well as the typical fare. The french patisserie in Epcot has yummy desserts and coffee.

We actually like Morocco. The variety plate (not sure of the name) is good....skewered meat, rice, hummus, olives and pita as I recall.

We always go to Cosmic Ray's.....I go in there for a break and coffee while DH takes the boys to Indy cars and then they come and join me and we eat....sometimes our own food and sometimes we buy.

It is never crowded when we go off season. I will say again that I would never eat my own food and take a table away if someone were waiting for a table (although I do get at least coffee there.)

Dawn

We didn't like the food in Morocco at Epcot, it had no seasoning to speak of(which seemed odd), but interesting atmosphere and dh liked the belly dancers ;)

For counter service, we like Cosmic Ray's and the Main Street Bakery best at Magic Kingdom, but there are lots of good choices. Pizza Planet at Hollywood Studios has pretty good salads as well as the typical fare. The french patisserie in Epcot has yummy desserts and coffee.

Hidden table service jewel at Epcot: Restaurant Marakesh in the Morocco Pavilion. To DIE for good!

Tusker House lunch buffet at Animal Kingdom. DELISH and SUCH variety for every taste!

Jiko and California Grill are also delish, but probably not worth the expense with kids.

For counter service:

Tangerine Cafe at EPCOT is yum, Columbia Harbour House in MK is a VERY convenient lunch spot option after doing a morning Fantasyland run, and they have some nice options besides burgers-and-fries.

Ok, I have never been to Boma. I have always wanted to go.

However, the cost is quite prohibitive. We are not big eaters and tend to eat smaller meals more often. I know we would never get our $$ worth from it.

As I looked at the website, the cost is $39 for 4 of us and $19 for the youngest. That would be $175 roughly for the 4 of us to eat plus another $25/tip....$200 for one meal is just more than I am willing to spend.

Then I looked at the menu at Sanaa and several of the same dishes are on there, although looking at it, it really reads just like an Indian restaurant.

Anyway, Sanaa's menu seems more doable if we get $15 entrees and maybe a drink or split a dessert. We could come away from there spending under $100.

Have any of you been to Sanna? Thoughts?

I see they serve Tusker beer, which I may have to just get even though beer isn't my favorite. It is from Kenya, where I grew up.

Dawn

Here are a few of our favorites.

Sit down:

We really enjoyed our Chef Mickey dinner in fall 2009, the food was good, the servers were personable and the restaurant was sparkling clean.

We also like Coral Reef, though it has been hit or miss for us (good in 2006, meh in 2007, decent in 2009).

We loved T-Rex in fact we went twice when we were there in 2009 because we loved it so much. We tend to skip Rainforest Cafe since we have one about 20 minutes from us if we feel like going.

We enjoyed our Boma breakfast, but were not impressed with the dinner we did there, it just seemed really Americanized to us and not that exciting.

We really like Raglan Road at Downtown Disney, we go every time we visit.

We loved our Liberty Street Tavern lunch, have never done dinner there, but the lunch is great.

We enjoyed our Crystal Palace breakfast, but the food was mediocre, the character experience was great.

For counter service:

We love the picnic in the park at Animal Kingdom if they are still doing it, it was a great deal and more then enough food.

We normally like to go to Columbia Harbor House for counter service in Magic Kingdom, good selection and quality.

We like the Fish and Chips at the British counter service restaurant at EPCOT as well as the Moroccan counter service place.

We never end up eating in Hollywood studios, haven't found anything that interested us there. We like both the POP food court and Mara at Animal Kingdom Lodge as far as resort counter service options. We also like Cooks of Dublin in Downtown Disney as well as Earl of Sandwich and Wolfgang Puck Express.

We love Signature restaurants. We tend to do 2 to 4 when we visit, they are our favorite places to eat.

We love Narcoossee it has been great every time we go and it is our one must go back to restaurant.

We also enjoy Jiko and Artist Point, both have great food and service.

If you are going to Disney and want to have eating as a main focus (it's my main focus) and you are staying on property, you might want to look into getting the dining plan. All the buffets are going to be outrageously priced like that. Depending on which table service you go with, they can also get pretty high.

If you want to see the princesses at Akershus in Norway, go for breakfast. They serve good old eggs, potatoes, sausages and then have a large pastry buffet. The rest of the day they serve more authentic Norwegian food that can be a bit odd for some people.

We love Crystal Palace with the Winnie the Pooh characters (great buffet) in the Magic Kingdom, been there three times. Another one we liked was the breakfast in Animal Kingdom in the Dino area (forget what it's called) pretty good food, great time with Donald, Mickey and a few others.