Menu

cream soups--healthier alternative???

What do you all use in place of the canned cream soups (spcifically the red and white can) when you cook? Is there a brand that you like that tastes and cooks good? I know some make their own mix, but I haven't found one that creates a thick (out of the can) consistancy that I like to use in recipes. can someone here help me out???

Maybe tell us what you are making and we can recommend healthier ways to make it?

I don't make anything with cream of anything soup, I am allergic to dairy. Since I grew up with in a family that should all be spokesmen for the National Dairy Council I really did learn how to cook all over again.

I can make a nice bechamel sauce with dairy alternatives, but I am not sure bechamel would be healthier :lol:

I make a basic, thick, white sauce. My family can tell the difference when I use a canned or jarred sauce, so they're spoiled and I'm stuck. It's worth learning how to do it from scratch - it's pretty easy (my mom even does it in the microwave) and the variations are endless, plus it's cheap.

It really depends. For macaroni, I make a roux and use it as the base for a cheese sauce. For soups, I use a veggie that can be mashed/pureed and create a creamy texture. Potatoes and winter squash are both good for this. South African-type soups will be creamy if you put in some peanut butter.

You can find good directions for making a white sauce on sites like allrecipes or chowhound.com.

Here is the one that currently resides in my cookbook; it produces a thick consistency (like opening the can & not adding any water to it):

http://www.food.com/recipe/condensed-cream-of-soup-substitute-278274

Here are others that I had bookmarked (I don't think that I tried them at all):

http://www.food.com/recipe/recipe-ready-condensed-cream-of-soup-homemade-substitute-g-f-29450

http://www.lowsodiumcooking.com/free/CondensedCreamOfMushroomSoup.htm

http://www.cheaplikemeblog.com/food/recipe-cream-soup-substitute/

Hope that helps!

Edited by domestic_engineer

There is a brand called Pacific something-or-other, I can't remember, that is all-natural. It doesn't come in a can, but in one of those little boxes like shelf-stable milk comes in. I think it comes in 8 oz. boxes and the flavors are cream of chicken and cream of celery. I get it at the base commissary and I just saw it at Target yesterday. I am sure that both Harris Teeter and Publix would carry it, and probably Trader Joe's and Whole Foods. It does have 'extract of celery' or whatever that one ingredient is that is akin to MSG but, other than that, no yucky stuff.

I don't make anything with cream of anything soup, I am allergic to dairy. Since I grew up with in a family that should all be spokesmen for the National Dairy Council I really did learn how to cook all over again.

I can make a nice bechamel sauce with dairy alternatives, but I am not sure bechamel would be healthier :lol:

Could you share the dairy alternative recipe? :D

I use the béchamel method - but I cut out a LOT of the fat. Last night I made chicken and dumplings and I used 2 T of butter - and cooked up an onion, about a cup of carrots and a cup of celery in it. When those were soft I added about a quarter cup of flour and cooked it for about a minute. Then, I added in about a cup and a half of skim milk. It was great. So much tastier and healthier than the "red and white can". ;-)

Maybe tell us what you are making and we can recommend healthier ways to make it?

I don't make anything with cream of anything soup...

Yep. Same here. I don't use recipes that call for those things, but if you tell me what you are making I might be able to help.

What do you all use in place of the canned cream soups (spcifically the red and white can) when you cook? Is there a brand that you like that tastes and cooks good? I know some make their own mix, but I haven't found one that creates a thick (out of the can) consistancy that I like to use in recipes. can someone here help me out???

I use actual cream because it is the best ingredient in the world :D

I use Earth Balance and coconut milk, the Soy Delicious kind that comes in the dairy case or in boxes isn't as coconuty

Newly dairy-free here. So, if I use EB marg instead of butter, and coconut milk instead of regular milk, the rest of the sauce-making is basically the same? I've always hated margarine; I much prefer butter. Is EB fairly decent, as in, doesn't have a "chemical" taste like many processed foods? Is EB solid at room temp? Can I bake with it?

Cream of Chicken

3 TBSP butter

3 TBSP flour

1/2 cup chicken broth

1/2 cup milk

1/4 tsp poultry seasoning

1/4 tsp salt (I omit this myself)

Melt butter, stir in flour until it's bubbly. Slowly whisk in broth and milk, salt and poultry seasoning.

There are many variations to make the other cream of varieties but I don't know those off hand.

Super easy, cheap, and can be amended for just about any food allergy--dairy free margarine and soy/rice milk. I've made it with rice flour to be gluten free.

Newly dairy-free here. So, if I use EB marg instead of butter, and coconut milk instead of regular milk, the rest of the sauce-making is basically the same? I've always hated margarine; I much prefer butter. Is EB fairly decent, as in, doesn't have a "chemical" taste like many processed foods? Is EB solid at room temp? Can I bake with it?

Yes, I just basically do the same thing.

Earth balance comes in different varieties, like soy free or olive oily, I buy the soy free kind, it is ok. It isn't as good as real butter.

I do use it in baking, things turn out fine. :) If I am making muffins or something like that I usually use oil and save the fake butter for cookies or something where a harder oil is more important. EB is pretty expensive.

We do make our own here. The think out of the can consistency is condensed and meant to be diluted with water. When we make our own, we make it to the consistency the recipe calls for, so even though it seems to be thinner than the can, it really isn't when you are using it in the recipe.

Yes, I just basically do the same thing.

Earth balance comes in different varieties, like soy free or olive oily, I buy the soy free kind, it is ok. It isn't as good as real butter.

I do use it in baking, things turn out fine. :) If I am making muffins or something like that I usually use oil and save the fake butter for cookies or something where a harder oil is more important. EB is pretty expensive.

Thanks. I think I'll give it a try.

I am mentally *so* hating being dairy-free.

I am physically feeling *so* much better.

I need to find ways to do this joyfully.

The crockpot seems to NEED cr. soups in casserole type recipes. How to substitute for t hd crockpot???

You just need some form of fat, flour and milk. Reduce the amount of milk if your recipe calls for condensed milk. You can add a flavouring (chicken broth essence, herbs, etc.) if you want.

Laura

ok, I have no idea what bechamel sauce is. Perhaps that's the answer to my question. But I was just about to ask this same question regarding my Chicken and rice. All it is is chicken, rice, a stick of butter, milk, and a can of cream of mushroom soup. It's awesome. So, how do I make this without the soup?

All it is is chicken, rice, a stick of butter, milk, and a can of cream of mushroom soup. It's awesome.

Oh honey, anything with a stick of butter in it is awesome!

One of the good things about cooking mostly from scratch is that you get a sense of how much butter, sugar, etc. you are actually consuming as a family.

Tell us what you would normally do with those ingredients, and we'll tell you how to do it from scratch.

I'm guessing the rice is essentially cooked in the soup/milk?

Cream of Chicken

3 TBSP butter

3 TBSP flour

1/2 cup chicken broth

1/2 cup milk

1/4 tsp poultry seasoning

1/4 tsp salt (I omit this myself)

Melt butter, stir in flour until it's bubbly. Slowly whisk in broth and milk, salt and poultry seasoning.

There are many variations to make the other cream of varieties but I don't know those off hand.

Super easy, cheap, and can be amended for just about any food allergy--dairy free margarine and soy/rice milk. I've made it with rice flour to be gluten free.

This is what I do, too.

ok, I have no idea what bechamel sauce is. Perhaps that's the answer to my question. But I was just about to ask this same question regarding my Chicken and rice. All it is is chicken, rice, a stick of butter, milk, and a can of cream of mushroom soup. It's awesome. So, how do I make this without the soup?

Use lisamarie's suggestion above, but use all milk for the liquid. When you are melting the butter, stir in some chopped mushrooms (and a little minced garlic) and saute until they are tender, then continue on with the flour, then the milk, etc. Once you've got it to the right consistency, stir in the rest of the milk the recipe calls for.

I would also suggest using only 5 additional Tbs of butter for the rest of the dish since you're already putting 3 Tbs in the sauce. Otherwise, with 11 Tbs, you're dish might be floating in butter.

I have a tuna casserole recipe that I haven't made in a long time because I hate the creamed soup it calls for. I'd love to have an alternative.

equal part butter and flour. Melt the butter, whisk in the flour and cook for about a minute. Add salt, then slowly pour in milk while whisking until it becomes the consistency you want. You can make it very thick (like a paste) or very thin depending on what you want to do with it.

A general rule is that 2 Tbsp butter, 2 Tbsp flour and a cup of milk will make a medium-thick sauce.

From that you can add anything you need to mimic whatever canned cream of crap your recipe calls for -- diced sautéed mushrooms, diced chicken & a boullion cube, diced celery (for the ubiquitous cream of mushroom, cream of chicken, or cream of celery).

You can also do the same thing but instead of milk add pan drippings (beef, chicken, turkey) and a bit of stock to make gravy.

Really.... once you master the roux, you can make so many things so much better.

I was going to PM this to someone, but as I'm typing it out I think I'll post it here.

In retrospect, this isn't a cream soup, it's creamy depending on how much cream you pour over it. But in the vegan world it works just fine. :tongue_smilie:

I don't use measurements so you might have to play with the recipe to fit your tastes. I use a 10" by 3" cast iron pan.

SOUP

3-4 zucchini

1 bunch cilantro (remove stems)

1/4 white onion (chopped small)

3 serrano chilis

about 1/4 c. butter (we use Earth Balance)

GARNISH

Before making soup prepare:

1/2" sq. corn tortillas fried in oil (as you would make homemade chips)

Tofutti sour cream, add soy milk or creamer while whisking to make it a thick pourable consistency.

-Zucchini in pan covered with water, boil until tender

-set aside water

-remove ends and puree zucchini in blender

-add cleaned cilantro

-I add a little vegan powdered chicken broth (not necessary)

-puree like crazy

-set blender aside

-in pan add serranos to roast a little

-add butter and onion

-on low heat cook until onion is translucent

-add puree and zucchini water

-this is the part where I'm not sure how to help... I add water so that there's about 1" left in pan. basically you'll have to play with the thickness/water ratio.

-salt to taste and add more butter if the flavor isn't coming out. It's not supposed to be a light, watery, soup. Nor should it be thick and gritty.

Cook on med. heat for 20 minutes or so.

Garnish with chips and cream.

*don't eat the serranos, and remove them before storing in the fridge for the night. The chili just gives a subtle (but, important) flavor. It's not a spicy soup.

Hope someones enjoys this soup as much as we do. :001_smile:

There is a brand called Pacific something-or-other, I can't remember, that is all-natural. It doesn't come in a can, but in one of those little boxes like shelf-stable milk comes in. I think it comes in 8 oz. boxes and the flavors are cream of chicken and cream of celery. I get it at the base commissary and I just saw it at Target yesterday. I am sure that both Harris Teeter and Publix would carry it, and probably Trader Joe's and Whole Foods. It does have 'extract of celery' or whatever that one ingredient is that is akin to MSG but, other than that, no yucky stuff.

I'm gluten free so this is what I use. I order it off of Amazon.