Menu

Meat from 2008--would you eat it?

In our move, I found some meat in our freezer from 2008. This was from a 1/2 cow we bought. It was processed, vacuum sealed, and flash frozen at the butcher and then in our deep freeze since--no thawing, no signs of freezer burn, etc.

Would you consider eating this or not? I have about 20 pounds of it and hate to waste it but any stomach upset is NOT worth it:glare:

I wouldn't. I don't know if it would upset your stomach but it's been my experience that when meat is frozen too long it turns out dry and tough plus the flavor is "off."

:iagree:

Def feed it to my dog, or if I didn't have one, I'd post it on freecycle as dog food.

If you do this, be aware that there are people out there who will rip you apart via email for it (ask me how I know :glare:). So if you don't care to deal with that today, maybe skip this!

Yes, I would cook it and eat it. there is no reason to think it wouldn't be safe to eat since it was vacumned sealed and never thawed, but the texture and flavor might be off. I would probably cook it in a crockpot or bake in oven for several hours to be sure it was tender.

I would eat it. The fact that it is vacuum sealed would be the deciding factor for me.

Yes. Vacuum sealed meat lasts about 3 years. By "lasts" that means still tastes good. It wouldn't have gone bad if it was frozen the entire time, but it just might not taste as good as fresh. I'm not one to take chances on food that even *might* be spoiled, but there's no reason to think that meat, frozen and stored the way it was, is bad.

USDA

Is Frozen Food Safe?

Food stored constantly at 0 °F will always be safe. Only the quality suffers with lengthy freezer storage. Freezing keeps food safe by slowing the movement of molecules, causing microbes to enter a dormant stage. Freezing preserves food for extended periods because it prevents the growth of microorganisms that cause both food spoilage and foodborne illness.

[Top of Page]

Does Freezing Destroy Bacteria & Parasites?

Freezing to 0 °F inactivates any microbes — bacteria, yeasts and molds — present in food. Once thawed, however, these microbes can again become active, multiplying under the right conditions to levels that can lead to foodborne illness. Since they will then grow at about the same rate as microorganisms on fresh food, you must handle thawed items as you would any perishable food.

Trichina and other parasites can be destroyed by sub-zero freezing temperatures. However, very strict government-supervised conditions must be met. Home freezing cannot be relied upon to destroy trichina. Thorough cooking, however, will destroy all parasites.

[Top of Page]

Freshness & Quality

Freshness and quality at the time of freezing affect the condition of frozen foods. If frozen at peak quality, thawed foods emerge tasting better than foods frozen near the end of their useful life. So freeze items you won't use quickly sooner rather than later. Store all foods at 0° F or lower to retain vitamin content, color, flavor and texture.

I'd wait for the next time the meat truck guy rolls around. And turn his sales pitch right around on him. Maybe he'll take it off your hands and you can make a few bucks in the process. :lol:

Seriously, I'd personally be wary because I've had food poisoning twice and really wish to avoid another go-round with that. But 20#... that's a lot of beef to toss. Hmmm...

Perry, do you think the typical American freezer gets all the way down to 0 degrees? Or just somewhere below 32 degrees? Does that make a difference?

Edited by AuntieM

Perry, do you think the typical American freezer gets all the way down to 0 degrees? Or just somewhere below 32 degrees? Does that make a difference?

I'm not Perry, obviously, but I make sure my chest freezers are down to at least 0F (they are usually below) and notice a vast difference between stuff stored there and in my freezer on my refrigerator. If you have a frost-free freezer, things will keep a lot longer (and better) than one that goes through a defrost cycle. I don't have any issues eating properly wrapped meat from my freezer that's a couple years old, but just for quality issues, I'd probably just feed 3 year old meat to my cat.