Menu

How much would it bug you for your DC to sleep in a bedroom that smells like cat pee?

We've just arrived at our rental, and the girls' room smells like cat pee :( There are other bedrooms, but then they're on a different floor than we are. The smell is not bothering them at all (in fact, they didn't even notice). I checked the beds, and there's no smell there, so it must be in the carpet.

WWYD? If it didn't bother the kids, would it bother you?

How much would it bug me? Not much at all these days, lol. I have a cat who, when stressed, will pee on the kids' beds. It doesn't happen often, but it does happen.

To avoid this I cut clear sheet vinyl to drape over the beds. All I ask is that the kids (17, 15, 14) make the bed before school and drape the sheet vinyl over the bed. It's waterproof and the cat hates walking on it. Not too much to ask, right? LOL. Obviously I am asking too much of these boys. Make the bed?!

If the cat pees on the bed these days, I have no pity for the child.

I am a mean, mean mom.:lol:

We had that issue in one of our houses we rented. I went to Petsmart, but the huge container of nature's miracle ($40 I think..but worth it). I soaked the entire room, turned the fan on high, and when it dried the smell was gone.

I wouldn't/couldn't live with cat pee.

Sometimes ppl don't notice a smell bc they are around it more. Ick I know, but it's happened to me too. In our previous home, we briefly had a cat that went pee crazy. I thought I'd cleaned the carpet really well bc the smell seemed gone. It wasn't until later when I came back in from running errands that the smell just about knocked me over as I walked in the house.

I rented a professional carpet cleaner and followed up with a vinegar, baking soda, and borax treatment that very night. I also took the curtains down and washed them. It seems like curtains really hold odors.

So yes, it would dive me insane if that smell was anywhere in my house. It would drive me so insane that I would drive everyone else who didn't smell it insane until they helped me clean top to bottom just to shut me up over that "phantom" smell.:tongue_smilie:

No matter what you choose to do I would let the rental office know that YOU DIDN"T DO IT! I once had a landlord say the we caused the smoke smell in the curtains and charge us a boatload of money to clean them. This was so unfair it wasn't even funny because we were told they would get around to cleaning them in the two years we lived there and never did.

Cat pee is disgusting. I would leave to be honest. I would never let me or my kids breathe in that smell it can damage their respitory. I know that sounds extreme but I would leave and demand a refund or a new rental, there is no way I would pay for that.

I think there needs to be cat urine in such quantities and concentration the house would be on the "Hoarders" scale before this would happen.

Thanks everyone! We were in a house on the Outer Banks, and it turned out that the smell was probably water damage from the storm :ack2: A few other rooms smelled faintly too, but the girls' room smelled the worst because it was on the ground floor. Thankfully, two family members decided not to come, so we were able to shuffle the room assignments.

I appreciate the input!