Menu

How often do you change your mind about curriculum?

Aspasia

Oh my gosh, my dd is only 4 and I'm already beginning to regret some of the choices that I researched and thought about so thoroughly! I'm kinda frustrated about it.

My most recent curriculum relationship gone sour is Happy Phonics. It didn't actually go sour, I'm just realizing that we probably don't need it. Originally, I thought games would be the perfect way to go with my dd--and they ARE--but as it turns out, she's perfectly happy with playing memory from the *free* Progressive Phonics site, or fishing for laminated fish with a magnet and reading the words written on them. It just turned out to be a little simpler than I thought it would be. But now I'm out $50!

I need tips from you veterans for avoiding this as much as possible in the future. Also, when something like this happens, do you sell or do you hold on to it in case it's the right thing for another one of your children? I would hate to have to drop another $50 in 3 or 4 years when I realize that Happy Phonics would be the perfect thing for ds.

Grrrr....

I haven't changed much since I actually researched and decided on curricula last year. The only difference so far is Miquon. I haven't even cracked RS because we enjoy Miquon so! I think this is the benefit of homeschooling and starting at the beginning because you can change curriculum without getting "behind." to be honest, at this stage in the game, I don't NEED curricula. But (!) buying a predone curriculum is much easier than creating my own. The big difference is time and money. I am willing to pay so I don't have to spend the time to create the curriculum. That's probably where Happy Phonics would've suited your needs: if you would rather have somebody make the game for you. It sounds like you'd rather pay the time than the cash. And that's fine. Sometimes I choose to do that too. Other times, it's nice not to have to reinvent the wheel.

I'm not familiar with Happy Phonics, but I wouldn't get rid of it just yet. You may find it to be just the thing in a month or three.

My daughter used three or four different approaches on her road to reading, and each was exactly the right thing for her at the time we were doing it.

If money is a major concern, start with the free program/method. Once you have used it for a while, you will have a better idea what you want to do differently. For example, you could use MEP as your math curriculum, see how that went, and then make a change if needed. You can put together your own geography or history study using books from the library, and buy a planned-out program if you find that's not working for you.

Teacher education classes cost much more than $50. You are not out money, you just learned a lesson about your daughter's learning style and your teaching style and choosing curriculum rather inexpensively. And, you'll likely recoup even some of that money by either using the program with your son or selling it used or both some day.

Yeah, none of us want to buy something and then realize we don't need it, but we all do that from time to time. It's part of the learning process though, and I try not to let it get me down too much.

Now that you've learned that sometimes the free things online are a good fit for your needs, look to those first. And you've learned that games are a good fit for your daughter's learning style--that's great! That will help you as you look at curriculum choices in the future. When I look at things, I try to look at as many samples online as possible, I talk with my children about their likes and dislikes (and as they get into early elementary I even have showed them samples online or printed things out for them to look at, to get a feel for their response to it). I think about what I need (do I have time to plan something? do I need it all laid out for me? Do I want something that is tweakable--partially or mostly laid out but room for me to change some things up if I want? etc...).

HTH some. Merry :-)

Oh my gosh, my dd is only 4 and I'm already beginning to regret some of the choices that I researched and thought about so thoroughly! I'm kinda frustrated about it.

My most recent curriculum relationship gone sour is Happy Phonics. It didn't actually go sour, I'm just realizing that we probably don't need it. Originally, I thought games would be the perfect way to go with my dd--and they ARE--but as it turns out, she's perfectly happy with playing memory from the *free* Progressive Phonics site, or fishing for laminated fish with a magnet and reading the words written on them. It just turned out to be a little simpler than I thought it would be. But now I'm out $50!

I need tips from you veterans for avoiding this as much as possible in the future. Also, when something like this happens, do you sell or do you hold on to it in case it's the right thing for another one of your children? I would hate to have to drop another $50 in 3 or 4 years when I realize that Happy Phonics would be the perfect thing for ds.

Grrrr....

We tried Happy Phonics very briefly, because of a good review in a Cathy Duffy book. We hated it! I found that getting started was when I bought too much and/or the wrong things. Then, after a year or so, it was much easier to judge what would be right for dc and for me. Personally, I found it easier to skip all that " if your child is and abc learner, then you need xyz curriculum."

I tend to hold on to things until we are way past using them. I gave away Happy Phonics when dc were reading chapter books. Avoiding mistakes -- I look at samples very carefully and, if they are sparse, email the curriculum people for more extensive samples. I ask IRL friends and rely a LOT from people on this board -- you sort of get to know whose education style you like. Also, if you have time to read the posts here over a longish period, you can see what stands the test of time vs what is a passing fad.

Edited by Alessandra

With us, it's not so much mind-changing, as overestimating the amount of time I have. I could stock a small homeschool store with products that we have never / will never have time to use.

"There are so many amazing things out there, and I'd hate for my kids to miss out! We should be able to fit in all the basics plus drawing, piano, Spanish, logic, history, 3 read-aloud programs (all carefully coordinated with fun and enriching geography, crafts, moral lessons, etc.), music appreciation, art appreciation, 2 "supplemental" math programs, and a poetry study, right? Filling in extra lessons to be sure we didn't miss a single thing in the Core Knowledge sequence, of course." :001_huh:

I am learning the hard way that we can either do it all at a breakneck speed, being totally stressed out about it, or we can do a lot less and actually enjoy it and learn something. And yet I still find myself fantasizing about how I can fit in the ones we are "missing" in "wasted time".

I change my mind constantly, and circle around and around, going back to things I previously abandoned, over and over and over. Hoard curriculua. Do NOT sell it!!!!

Often we learn to teach, by reading TM after TM after TM, and then just teach, really teach, rather than fascilitate our children completing a workbook.

Invest 75% of funds into YOUR education, and only about 25% into what the children actually complete.

You will find yourself pulling grade 3 materials off the shelf to review when an 11th grade text explains something so badly, but your remember the topic being introduced masterfully in the 3rd grade text.

Homeschooling is a messy affair, very messy. Adam was given thorns and thistles, to make his work harder. We get poorly written curricula that requires lots of layering and supplementing and reviewing. Adam eventually had enough food to eat. We eventually get ourselves and our children educated. It just isn't easy.

"There are so many amazing things out there, and I'd hate for my kids to miss out! We should be able to fit in all the basics plus drawing, piano, Spanish, logic, history, 3 read-aloud programs (all carefully coordinated with fun and enriching geography, crafts, moral lessons, etc.), music appreciation, art appreciation, 2 "supplemental" math programs, and a poetry study, right? Filling in extra lessons to be sure we didn't miss a single thing in the Core Knowledge sequence, of course." :001_huh:

Ha ha ha! This is so me. :)

I have seen the first year characterized as "tossing and turning to get comfortable." That was my experience too!

I would keep the curriculum, not sell it. You never know what your younger child is going to need.

My first two years were like that. It's really only been since the spring--when we started second grade--that I felt pretty solid about the curriculum choices I made.

You are learning as much as your child. And at 4 years old, you really can't assume that a program will never work. Sometimes they aren't ready developmentally when they reject something, or there may be other dynamics at work.

I had one late reader who hated everything I used, and one early reader who loved everything. I used virtually the same materials with both, and came to believe that the issue with the first was that he was very active and needed shorter lessons with more repetition. I modified the materials to fit him. So for me, the key was how I taught, not the materials.

My only failure of late was with Algebra, but I should have gone with the approach that we have been following all along instead of switching. So last year was the first mistake in 4-5 years, but we recovered.

I don't know whether I've just been lucky, but I haven't needed to change the programs we use very much. I followed the recs in TWTM, and most of it works really well for us.

I think - and this is just a vague opinion - that it might be good to wait a bit before you ditch a program. I've used stuff that didn't seem to be great to start with, but it grew on us and we ended up really liking it as we kept on with it. Spelling Workout was a bit like this, as was R&S Grammar.

On the flip side, we tried Prima Latina and started out thinking it was so-so, but after 6 months of it my DD was so bored and frustrated that she could have poked her eyes out with her pencils, so we ditched it and are using Latin for Children instead, which is a much better fit for her.

You are learning as much as your child. And at 4 years old, you really can't assume that a program will never work. Sometimes they aren't ready developmentally when they reject something, or there may be other dynamics at work.

... I ... came to believe that the issue with the first was that he was very active and needed shorter lessons with more repetition. I modified the materials to fit him. So for me, the key was how I taught, not the materials...

That is SO true, especially the bolded.

Grrrr....

I feel like the longer we homeschool, the more we move away from traditional curricula. Also, I'm starting to invest in more learning resources...like I recently bought a book on English Grammar and Punctuation. Before, I would've looked for a "program", but this time, I'm just handing it to my 4th grader to use as a reference when she writes.

Sheesh, now I'm wondering what our homeschool will look like in 5 years!! :tongue_smilie: I'll be using gardening and carpentry to teach math and grammar. :lol:

If it makes you feel any better my well researched first phonics purchase was a super bust (as in actually harmed reading in one child and I could not continue to use it) and cost a lot more than that (x 2 kids)! I think it's to be expected that every pick won't be right even if you do all the footwork to research.

That said, it sounds like this program wasn't bad--just not necessary for your daughter? In that case I'd probably hold onto it for your next child unless you really need to sell financially.

I am a new homeschooler as well and I have come to realize that I will waste some money in this process. Sometimes a program isn't what I was hoping, sometimes it doesn't work for a particular child, etc. I have kept some things that I thought my work for my other kids and sold some things that I definitely knew I wouldn't use again.

I wouldn't sell Happy Phonics if I were you. You might find that it is helpful later on. If not, you can always sell it a year from now.

It is a bummer to waste money, but it is also such a blessing to be able to adapt curricula to our specific children. That is one of the most amazing things about homeschooling!

I've found that I tend to get burned when I purchase things sight unseen- the old Catholic edition of Voyages in English, Dr. Whimbey's Thinking Through Grammar, Right Start A (lesson learned with that one: just because you loved the next level up doesn't mean you can skip previewing the sample).

Do you have a HS bookstore in your area? I've found that a couple of hours browsing in my local store helps cut way down on the number of bad "fit" purchases.

Oh man, I can totally see this being me!

Yeah, I think I'll hold on to Happy Phonics. It is a really cute and well-done program and maybe I'll want it more later. I would love to browse a homeschool store! But I can't seem to find any around here (Northern Virginia). I know they must be here because there are tons of homeschoolers here and the area is just super-populated in general. Maybe I'll ask one my Yahoo groups.

Thanks for the tips, ladies. It's nice to know I'm not alone. ;)

So far just one change, but we're only in our second year of hs. I'm sure we'll have more changes when DS begins in earnest and I have two learners to juggle!

We dropped Elemental Science for RSO b/c we needed something more hands-on and less bookish. It was a good switch. I was able to sell ES and make back about 1/3 of what I paid.

I have done a lot of teaching in my pre-hs life and knew my own teaching/learning/planning style fairly well before we began and that was a help.

The Hive has been tremendously helpful in directing my curriculum research!

I have also been able to see and carefully read most of the materials I have chosen before I purchased them. Borrowed from friends, library or just sat in the bookstore and read.

Forgive me, I haven't read all the responses. I think your "mistake" is normal. Especially considering how young your kids are. I don't really think it was a mistake... a learning experience, yes. And... it could be that your now 4 year old may benefit from it more in a year or two. I'm not familiar with the program so I can't speak from experience.

It took me a good 3 years of teaching to realize what will and won't work for us. Some has to do with the kids' strengths and weaknesses, but probably 85% of it has to do with whether or not it fits my teaching style. If it's something I can do well teaching it usually gets done. If I struggle with teaching it, then it doesn't get done.

Once you figure out how you best teach, choose a curriculum to match, then you can tweak the curriculum to better fit your child's individual needs.

It's all a process that takes time and more time.... I found choosing curriculum very difficult when we first started, but now it's a breeze. I know right away from looking at something if it will fit with my teaching style and if it will fit the way my children generally work. It helps me to rule out choices that are solid and good, but just not the right thing for us at the time.

Don't be afraid to give things a try... in the beginning you may spend some money that given the choice again you wouldn't, but then you learn for the next time... and you can always sell it and recoup a bit. ;)

I truly believe that part of the cost of homeschooling is those "mistakes" you make when you are first figuring things out. Someone told me early on to plan on buying some things that don't work out and just consider them learning experiences!

I tried 3 math programs until I found one that worked. Now we've used that program for 3 years. This was a total shock to me because the phonics program I used I got used for a few dollars and worked like a charm. I thought I was some sort of "curriculum picking genius", and it turns out I was just lucky with the first thing I picked out ;)!

So far, I haven't changed my mind at all. And yes, I do know I'm lucky in that regard!

I didn't pull my daughter out of school til the end of 3rd grade (late that March) and didn't use any boxed or formal curriculum for the rest of that year, just doing my own eclectic thing.

During that time, while deciding what to use for 4th grade, my first full year of homeschooling, I was introduced to Oak Meadow and fell in love with the whole philosophy and the look of it. I found it used in one big lot K-8 and bought it. I used Oak Meadow 4 that first full year and loved it. Used Oak Meadow 5 the next year and loved it. Now using Oak Meadow 6 with my daughter and Oak Meadow K with my son and still loving it.

I do add or change little things here and there, but that is and will continue to be my main curriculum.

I did change math up for 5th grade because my older version of OM started using Saxon instead of its own built in math curriculum as of grade 5 (they don't do that anymore in more current editions), and I didn't want Saxon, so I went with TT instead ...and loved that and plan to continue with that, too!

I think it's pretty normal to do some jumping around the first year or so. I know I tried a lot of different things (especially math programs) when I was just getting started with my children because I wasn't sure of what would work best for them and there is just so much out there to choose from.

I rarely change curriculum at this point. I generally have an idea of what will work for the kids and me by now and I spend a lot of time looking at samples and reading reviews of what I am considering on this board and elsewhere before making a decision. The only thing I can think of that I have purchased over the last number of years and not used is the last 1/4th of WWE, and I may finish that with my daughter this year. Oh, and I know I bought a couple of levels of R&S English used and then decided to go with something else. Fortunately, since I had bought them used, I was able to sell them for almost the same price I bought them for.

Lisa

I find I'm more likely to change my mind if I read this forum.:tongue_smilie:

I've only been on this forum for a couple of months and I have already learned this lesson!

I am tweaking, tweaking, and tweaking some more all on my own, but if I get on here to "research" how to tweak something I end up questioning everything and wondering if I should totally switch curricula.

I find I'm more likely to change my mind if I read this forum.:tongue_smilie:

I can see that happening. I was lucky. Having read the WTM well before ds reached school age, watching him during two years at ps, and reading this forum I was able to sample plenty of material before making any purchases.

I've made just two real changes, from SM to Saxon (:)) and from Spelling Workout to IEW's Phonics Zoo (another :)). I've been lucky to catch on to his style and I won't change it if it's not broke.

Still, I love looking through all the great stuff that's available.

Jim

Oh dear...over the years, you will likely spend LOTS of money on curricula that doesn't quite fit the bill. And lots of money on curricula that does.

My dh and I figured out the other night that over the past 17 years of homeschooling, we have spent over $42,000 on materials....conservatively speaking...in reality, it was probably more. Much less than the cost of private school education, but still a hefty chunk. Homeschooling involves a substantial monetary commitment on the part of the parents. It's best to go in with your eyes wide open...or keep them tightly shut as to the cost. I kind of wish we had. :lol: