Menu

Background checks?

Does your homeschool group require background checks?  

1. 1. Does your homeschool group require background checks?

• Yes
    • No

I have required this from child care workers in church programs or other child care settings, but would not do so for simple membership into a home school support group. If you are hiring people to do unsupervised child care as part of the group, I would advise both always have two or more child care providers as well as background checks, but for just membership to the group, NO.

I've not been in a support group that required background checks. The only time I had to have one was for a co-op and that was required by the church that let us meet there. Since we were covered by their insurance I didn't think that was unreasonable. Otherwise, just a group of families getting together? No.

A new member to my hs group is beating me over the head to do background checks on all our members. We're a small group, and I've never felt the need to do checks...and I still don't. I'm just wondering if any of you belong to a group that requires a background check.

what burned her that she wants background checks?

I almost said yes but reading the other responses, I have to wonder... Do you mean a support group only or a co-op?

The only group I belong to is a co-op. Since we are watching each others' kids and they are watching mine, a background check is required. Actually the more I think on it, I don't know if they do a background check. We have to "apply" to work with the kids and every person has a service hour, so everyone works with the kids. But I assume they do some sort of check. We meet at a large church and I'd be very surprised if they don't do checks on child workers.

But if it was just a support group, where I'd be able to see my kids most of the time, then no. I wouldn't want back ground checks. I'd find them intrusive.

No. I wouldn't want to join one that required that, and I don't require it for the one I belong to (and now run).

Then again, in our group, parents are always present with their own kids.

I guess I could see someone asking if so and so had had a background check if that person was going to be leaving their kids alone with so and so- for the type of co-op class where kids were just dropped off or something.

But insisting that every person in the group have a background check? No. If you're that worried, don't join the group or stay with your kids while you're with the group.

No. And there is no way I would join a group that required one. There is no way I'd trust someone to keep what they found private. Not that I have anything on my record but a line of duty traffic accident. But that would be enough for some bitty to decide not only am I the wrong kind of Christian, I'm the wrong kind of influence or some such nonsense.

Background checks reveal everything. Some poor woman who 20 years ago struggling to keep her family together and wrote a bad check. She ends up convicted and it is on her record. Now decades later after she has finished up her degree, is with a significant other and has no more financial problems. But some bitty doing a background check for "homeschool purposes" :glare: finds out and blabs or is jealous and does her ****edest to ruin this poor woman's now sterling reputation.

Nope, I can't endorse background checks to join a co-op. Too often women are too ugly toward other women.

I also think that is overboard on some levels. Yes if the Church requires it then do it. If the children are left with adults alone even if there are 2 then do it. but the normal coop where there are multiple parents there watching then no.

That said I was part of a group we did always meet with just the moms for the most part and there were always moms around in groups.

BUT we did have a child predetor as a husband. It is really sick to think about. The male did not come to any coop meetings. This person was active in church things though and did work with the children's programs. He is in jail now and hopefully when sentenced will be there for the rest of his life.

Well, I am fuzzy on what you mean by "homeschool group."

If you're talking about a support group, I'd be the first one out if the leaders starting discussing background checks.

If you're talking about a "co-op," by which you mean "group classes taught by someone other than one of the parents," then yes, I'd consider it. Or a one-day or two-day school, where parents drop off their children and the children are then in the care of someone else for several hours at a time, oh, yes, there should be background checks, even if the parents have some minimal responsiblities on-site.

I have required this from child care workers in church programs or other child care settings, but would not do so for simple membership into a home school support group. If you are hiring people to do unsupervised child care as part of the group, I would advise both always have two or more child care providers as well as background checks, but for just membership to the group, NO.

:iagree: There was a co-op for our former public cyber charter school that was a school sponsored event with 2 school teachers present that required parents who wanted to stay for the co-op to have a criminal background check. I did this since I don't leave ds alone due to severe food allergies. I did think it was overkill though since there was always 2 teachers there. I guess the reasoning is that in theory parent could be a criminal or child molester:(. I think for a co-op with other parents present this is overkill.

My ds will be participating in a group that I guess does require them, but only indirectly. They meet at a church that requires special training and background checks for anyone working with children or the elderly at/through the church. But the burden of the training and background checking is on the church, not the homeschool group.

I participate in a co-op that holds the classes at a church. We (parents teaching in groups of 2 or 3) do need to get a criminal background check. I think it's mostly for insurance purposes for the church. They don't want to be sued if something goes awry and they allowed a known criminal to be on premises. If it would have been anything other than a criminal background check (like financial) I would not have joined.

If it is a co-op that I leave my child at for a class, then yes, I think a background check is appropriate. If it is somewhere that I am present at all times, then no.

I want to know that the people that have charge of my children are safe. My church requires background checks to work with children so I have had one and so has my ds who works in children's ministry (with an adult). I even paid for them to be done.

My ds will be participating in a group that I guess does require them, but only indirectly. They meet at a church that requires special training and background checks for anyone working with children or the elderly at/through the church. But the burden of the training and background checking is on the church, not the homeschool group.

This I'd be perfectly okay with.

Our group does not require them. There is never a situation where one person would be left alone with the kids. Multiple (in most cases, all) parents are always present.

This is a lot of what the training our church has is ... making sure there are multiple adults around so that there generally isn't a question about what happened.

No. I'd be bothered by that.

That said, I did check every person in our group against the registered sex offender list. But I did that on my own time. My kids make friends with other kids and naturally want to go their houses, spend the night.... I always check for that sort of thing.

A new member to my hs group is beating me over the head to do background checks on all our members. We're a small group, and I've never felt the need to do checks...and I still don't. I'm just wondering if any of you belong to a group that requires a background check.

I've never heard of a homeschool group doing that. I would suggest to that new person that if she/he is so concerned about it, she/he might feel more comfortable in a different group. Do not let this person bully you. This is probably the kind of person who likes to come in and take over.

I've never heard of a homeschool group doing that. I would suggest to that new person that if she/he is so concerned about it, she/he might feel more comfortable in a different group. Do not let this person bully you. This is probably the kind of person who likes to come in and take over.
:iagree:

It's not unreasonable to do background checks, but it is unreasonable is a new member to come into a group and immediately start setting demands. Watch out for her. One pushy new member in a small homeschool group can do a lot more damage in a short period of time than people may realize.

Background checks might be appropriate for some homeschool groups. My church requires background checks on volunteers and another church where my homeschool group used to meet required our group to carry insurance as a condition of meeting there. But it's not up to a new member to decide the policies for your homeschool group.

I wouldn't join a group who required this. Hasn't she thought that just because a person has a clean background that can also mean nothing? For example, I don't fear/worry about the sex offenders that have been caught and registered. I fear/worry about the unknown ones. A good background check cost money so would she like to pony up it for everyone.

I think background checks are smart; and I have the "plan" to do them... but haven't....eek.... It's not as easy as ya think! I did tell people to set aside money for them, and that they are responsible for the cost. We were actually planning on FBI ones ;) You can't say "some people have to have them." It has to be across the board; I'm not stupid, though. I know that many who SHOULD have a record... don't. We also have an "at least 2 people" in the room policy... and the door will be open to the restrooms.... if there is a child inside. I'm open to more policies, to protect the families that we have. Safety policies protect the adults, as much as the children.

Thanks for all your answers. We're a small group (16 families) and meet twice a month during the school year for enrichment classes. A parent from each family is required to be present at all times. At least two parents are in each class room. We've never had any problem related to inappropriate parent behavior.

I have run names against the registered offender list...but I didn't really feel I *needed* to. I did it so I can tell this woman I have done so. What's really going on is a control issue. She wants to be in control. (And I'm not willing to let her!) I'm not sure how long she'll last in the group...

What's really going on is a control issue. She wants to be in control. (And I'm not willing to let her!) I'm not sure how long she'll last in the group...

That's what I was thinking. Stay strong. I have heard some bad stories about this very situation. Watch out for her trying to persuade the other families. She could split the group too. Why are some people busy bodies?

What would be the purpose? If it is for childcare workers, there is a reason to do so : to show legal due diligence. However, they are very ineffective for actually protecting children from abuse because ALL you get is whether the person has a conviction or not. Most people who present a danger to children haven't been caught yet. Additionally, you can simply check your local area for registered sex offenders and that is going to be as effective as 98% of full fledged background checks. (In other words, most background checks find nothing. A few find petty criminal offensese that won't really apply --shoplifting in college or a traffic offense or something. Another tiny percentage might find violent offenses that would apply. The other tiny percentage might involve sexual crimes and these should also be available on the free websites. (I realize that people don't always register, blah,blah, blah.) NOTHING is a substitute for good supervision and for kids who have been taught proper boundaries and boundary enforcement.