Menu

Mail issues watch your media mail and international packages carefully

A bit ago I read a thread about the PO inspecting media mail packages. Since then I have got packages that were opened for inspection, packages from businesses not just individuals.

Everything was in the packages, until now and I can't quite figure this one out. We ordered "The Art of Argument" from The Book Depository in the UK. We ordered from them because it was cheaper. Today we get an opened envelope with only an invoice no book. This has never happened before, I can't believe opening a random package someone would hit the jackpot with this book. I can't imagine the envelope opening itself and the book walking away on its own.

It will just delay things with the one subject. Money is beyond tight right now, we had a couple of major setbacks with our budget that will take about 2 months to get back on track, so we can't spare the money for a replacement right away.

Please keep an eye on all those media mail, and international packages. I can't believe the PO has all the extra time to inspect so many packages to make sure people are being honest with media mail, or that the book we ordered was wanted by an inspector somewhere. When books start to come up missing from packages it sets off alarm bells for me.

I am sorry this happened to you.

:grouphug:

Was the package sealed, or left open? :confused:

Was there a note from the PO?

I have received packaged that were torn but each time the PO has taped a generic note to the top.

I may be paying for extra shipping from now on.... ;)

I feel your pain. Many years ago I won an auction on eBay for 10 back issues of a magazine I really liked (Martha Stewart... I used to be a fan :D). When it arrived, the postal-issue box had obviously been opened and (poorly) resealed, and only TWO of the magazines were left. I was crushed... I paid almost 50 bucks for them, and I had no recourse.

I'm so sorry this happened to you, too!

This happened to me about a week ago. I won an auction for a set of Collier's books, and the box arrived without the books. It had stickers on it that said, "Arrived damaged" and "Received without contents," and it had very obviously been cut open on the edges. It also looked like there was no effort made to retape the box. The good news is that when I contacted the seller and told him what had happened, he refunded everything I paid. I also took pictures in case I needed evidence. The seller told me that when he shipped them, the post office made him sign a form that said that the post office would be opening and inspecting media mail packages. Evidently people have been abusing the media mail option.

If your book goes missing, you can complain to the company. I have had books arrive damaged from the Book Depository and Amazon and similar companies, and they handled it very nicely. So do complain to them. I am sure they will replace the book. Sometimes packages do come open in transit. In my case, I've thought the book should have been packaged better so I didn't feel guilty to complain.

But -- do tell Book Depository. They'll send another one.

The problem is more when the PO messes up stuff from individual sellers, whom you feel bad to bother since they don't have a profit margin to allow for such things.

Thanks everyone for understanding. It appears someone opened the package and didn't reseal or put that it was opened for inspection. I emailed asking for a replacement, hopefully they will send it soon. I got a few items from the book Depository in the past, they were a little slow, but the price was good. I just find it unbelievable that all my packages lately have been inspected where as in the past they weren't.

Ya know, that's just wrong. I mean, I understand that they want to stop dishonest people from mailing things through media mail. But to open a package, do a poor job of resealing it, and then just deliver it like they have no fault in it is just ridiculous. It's the fault of no one but the post office and they are causing people to lose money and receive damaged items. I wish something could be done about it when that happens.

It's happened to me too. I had it happen twice. I packed super well too. But both times I got a notice from the PO that my package came open at some point and the contents were lost. I have NEVER mailed media since that loss. One box was cookbooks to a friend and the other was Abeka geography. Both mailed media.

I've never ever had a problem with priority or any other mailing choice except Media mail.

Yep btdt. The PO opened and lost an entire set of Hakim History of US and a set of IEW's SWI. I no longer ship media mail.

Jean, is that the one you posted about a little while ago? Were you ever able to get a resolution on that?

Ya know, that's just wrong. I mean, I understand that they want to stop dishonest people from mailing things through media mail. But to open a package, do a poor job of resealing it, and then just deliver it like they have no fault in it is just ridiculous. It's the fault of no one but the post office and they are causing people to lose money and receive damaged items. I wish something could be done about it when that happens.

:iagree: :iagree: :iagree:

Horrible customer service. :glare:

You can file something with the post office describing the books. Anything that falls out of packages is sent to centers for auction. Suposedly they can look for it and resend it. Anyway, I forget what it is called, but it is worth the effort sometimes.

Back in the day when I bought nappies from US WAHM tpe places ,I found that if the customs label says something like 'clothing' .It nearly always would arrived opened ,but mostly with the contents inside.

Once I started telling the seller to write 'dipes ',or 'handmade clothing'...it stopped.Everything would arrive un touched.

My biggest gripe now -is sometimes when I buy curriculum materials from the U.S , having to pay import tax-at whatever the tax man deemed that they were woth -including shipping + having to pay the post office a 'clearance fee'.

If you bought from the book depository -through Amazon,then Im sure you will either get a replacement or a refund.

Last year when I was buying a lot of used curricula in August and Sept it happened to me twice and the boxes were barely recognizable:( One box was packed full of nice Sonlight books and it looked like an animal ripped it open and went to town on it. There is no need for that and it makes me angry. The box was so bad off that it was "missing" for weeks on a forgotten shelf in my local post office. I finally went in there one day and wouldn't leave till they found it. Great service, eh? I don't think the job of randomly checking the mail should be SO heavily abused. There is no reason why people honestly using the media mail option should suffer.

You can file something with the post office describing the books. Anything that falls out of packages is sent to centers for auction. Suposedly they can look for it and resend it. Anyway, I forget what it is called, but it is worth the effort sometimes.

I did this and my PO lady told me The lost mail department is huge and the chance of finding any lost book is close to none.

The SWI was the one I posted about. I ended up refunding her the $75 and never received the books back from the PO.

Ouch! That stinks.

So... I'm not familiar with media mail (if it existed when I lived down there, I was not aware of it.) I'm guessing media mail is a very cheap option from what people were saying. Can you not purchase insurance for media mail packages? Here, any package automatically comes with up to $100 insurance. You can purchase more. I think it's about another $2 per $100 of insurance. However, parcel post rates are NOT cheap here.

You ladies are making me very nervous. I have to mail a book today. Wouldn't it make more sense though to add insurance instead of ditching media mail altogether?

Anyone had experience where this didn't work out well either? Or where it did?

I just received a book in which the package was stamped Inspected. It was all taped back up and the book was in perfect shape.

You ladies are making me very nervous. I have to mail a book today. Wouldn't it make more sense though to add insurance instead of ditching media mail altogether?

I just received a book in which the package was stamped Inspected. It was all taped back up and the book was in perfect shape.

You can insure media mail and if the book is not to pricey it might make sense to do just this. Keep in mind that if the book is lost, paypal will side with the buyer and you will need to deal with the PO as far as insurance and receiving your money. I have heard it can take a while to actually receive money on an insurance claim.

Ouch! That stinks.

So... I'm not familiar with media mail (if it existed when I lived down there, I was not aware of it.) I'm guessing media mail is a very cheap option from what people were saying. Can you not purchase insurance for media mail packages? Here, any package automatically comes with up to $100 insurance. You can purchase more. I think it's about another $2 per $100 of insurance. However, parcel post rates are NOT cheap here.

Yes, media mail is much less expensive them parcel or priority. You can add insurance to media mail, but you have to pay for it. I used to only add insurance if the buyer asked and paid for it. Now I insure all packages I ship unless it's a book that wouldn't cost to much to replace/refund.

I have sent media mail a few times at the buyers request for really heavy sets of books, I always buy delivery confimation and have it sealed at the post office with the stamped tape so it is acknowledged that the contents have already been viewed. (I have really nice postal people.) I will not receive media mail because of so many problems getting things here, it's not worth the savings.

I have sent media mail a few times at the buyers request for really heavy sets of books, I always buy delivery confimation and have it sealed at the post office with the stamped tape so it is acknowledged that the contents have already been viewed. (I have really nice postal people.) I will not receive media mail because of so many problems getting things here, it's not worth the savings.

I like that idea. Have them confirm the contents at the check-out and then secure it yourself and be confident. I also think I'm going to wrap my book in saran wrap with another address label attached to that and with a sticky note with the address attached to the book itself. I haven't had any problems so far and I've mailed and received a TON!! But I'm thinking the odds are against me. My postal experience has been too charmed.

I'm still using media mail, but I'm insuring all packages that are worth $25 - $30 and up. I've also been buying delivery confirmation on packages that are $12 and up. DC doesn't give you any protection that I'm aware of, but it makes me feel like the PO will act a little more responsibly.

Lisa