Menu

Goat folks --- would this type of fence hold in a goat? (pic inside)

For about a minute maybe :tongue_smilie:. I don't have goats here in suburbia but my sister has goats on her farm. It seems like there's not much that will hold in goats that want to get out and I don't think that having enough grass and feed is enough incentive to stay put. My sister's goats are always looking for trees, they like the young leaves on trees.

Our goats would stay inside that kind of fence (like you said, you'd have to be aware of them and keep them glad to be inside of it). Our daughter puts two goat out in our field every day, to graze, with just two strands of barbed wire keeping them in. They're not looking or trying to get out and we keep an eye on them. They just munch and munch. The two babies aren't let out there alone, or they might, but if they were out there with their momma (at this point), they wouldn't stray to far either.

Depends on your goat, their temperment, how well they are fed, how content they are in the fence... The only thing we found for certain that worked for us was an electric fence about belly high. Otherwise the larger goats climbed and jumped everything. We only ran it about a month and they stayed back.

If it doesn't hold water, it won't hold a goat.:001_smile:

Our goats would walk right out of that no matter what they had to eat on the inside of it. And they're nice, pleasant, easy-going goats.

We just got 2 Great Pyrenees and *they* ripped the goat fence apart! Dh was out in the 100*+ heat repairing chain link fence that the GP destroyed!:D

No fence will hold a goat :D

That being said, the fence you posted looks particularly easy to escape unless you have extremely placid goats. We had pretty decent success with the following variations:

1) Woven wire with a line of electric at the top and bottom.

2) Electro-net.

3) Hi-tensile electric, 4 strands.

If you like the looks of it aesthetically it could work, but "hidden" behind it would have to be woven wire topped by a string of barbed wire and/or (better) a strand of electric. We had wonderful luck with woven, but it was six foot high. The young ones are the most adventurous, or the older ones who know escape can be done. When we started with goats we began with two older does that came from dairies. They'd never had the opportunity to escape so they saw a fence and just assumed it couldn't be beaten. :) The doelings had no such inhibitions!

You are thinking if they have everything in the barn maybe they'll be content. Goats don't escape because they want something. They simply escape because they CAN! :001_smile:

I'm not trying to be mean but if you thought for even a second that that fence would hold a goat...you don't know goats! That fence wouldn't hold ANY of the goats I know at all. If you are thinking of getting goats, PLEASE do your homework. They are awful! At least the ones I know are. I don't know what kind they are...pigmy? That's the only kind I have heard of. They are kind of big. The one good thing they're good for is eating things....every.thing. The goats I've known have chewed a brand new leather horse halter, they've chewed the throat latch on a brand new leather horse bridle, they've chewed out the headlights (yes headlights) on a riding lawn mower, stirrup leathers, they chewed the hair off of one of our horses's tails (these goats don't even belong to us). The male goat had a problem peeing so the owners spent $5000 on redirecting his insides and now I think he might be a girl. This goat and his sister are forever getting out and they stand right.in.the.middle.of.the road.....They don't listen, they ruin everything and they are worthless, absolutely worthless. I know they've done more I just can't think of what. So, I tell everyone do.not.get.a.goat. Oh, they also would ram us with their horns and that hurts.

We use woven no-climb (means horses) fencing in 4 ft and 6 ft heights. We haven't had goats escape. Honestly, though, I'm more concerned about keeping *dogs* out than goats in. If a dog can get through it, over it, or under it, it's not a fence I want.

:lol: Not a chance. I think the goats would much prefer the trees and bushes BEYOND the fence than the grass in the pasture. Sorry.

Have you thought about owning sheep? They'll stay in a fence like that and they're content to graze on pasture. Our bottle-fed lamb was the sweetest thing ever.

I'm not trying to be mean but if you thought for even a second that that fence would hold a goat...you don't know goats! That fence wouldn't hold ANY of the goats I know at all. If you are thinking of getting goats, PLEASE do your homework. They are awful! At least the ones I know are. I don't know what kind they are...pigmy? That's the only kind I have heard of. They are kind of big. The one good thing they're good for is eating things....every.thing. The goats I've known have chewed a brand new leather horse halter, they've chewed the throat latch on a brand new leather horse bridle, they've chewed out the headlights (yes headlights) on a riding lawn mower, stirrup leathers, they chewed the hair off of one of our horses's tails (these goats don't even belong to us). The male goat had a problem peeing so the owners spent $5000 on redirecting his insides and now I think he might be a girl. This goat and his sister are forever getting out and they stand right.in.the.middle.of.the road.....They don't listen, they ruin everything and they are worthless, absolutely worthless. I know they've done more I just can't think of what. So, I tell everyone do.not.get.a.goat. Oh, they also would ram us with their horns and that hurts.

:lol: :lol::lol: We don't have our goats anymore, but this brings back sooo many memories. These particularly sound like good eating goats. ;) I love goat stew.

Thanks all. So, as is, it won't hold goats.

I confess I know little to nothing about goats. We're just considering buying this place and I'm trying to think of something to do with the pasture and the barn. Seems a shame just to mow it when it's so established for livestock. I was just trying to think of some animal that would keep the grass down and be low-maintainance. I don't think we're candidates for horses. I thought about maybe two cows. Just trying to think what I could do with it --

cows?

(someone mentioned sheep). sheep?

Hmmmmm?

I confess I know little to nothing about goats. We're just considering buying this place and I'm trying to think of something to do with the pasture and the barn. Seems a shame just to mow it when it's so established for livestock. I was just trying to think of some animal that would keep the grass down and be low-maintainance. I don't think we're candidates for horses. I thought about maybe two cows. Just trying to think what I could do with it --

cows?

Hmmmmm?

Try a beef steer.

Our goats would have escaped, quickly and easily (we had fainting goats).

YOU HAD FAINTING GOATS??!!! Would you think badly of me if I admit I asked dh for a herd of fainting goats and a shot gun (to shoot up in the AIR to make them FAINT!) for my own entertainment?:lol::lol::lol:

Please share your experience with fainting goats! Why do you no longer have them? Why DID you have them? For milk?

I've really wanted goats because they could eat all this darned poison ivy around here. They could eat all KINDS of brush for that matter! Dh won't allow because he keeps saying they're escape artists. I don't push the matter since it's usually him trying to get the 500 lb pig, or so, back into his pen.:lol: He's called me from the woods all out of breath! I can't help but :lol: Yesterday good ole Spot ran right through dh, 6'2 and a very strong man, to get to his girlie potbellies. Dh was trying to keep him in the barn. Poor dh has a large scab on his knee.:lol: Dh LOVES Spot. Everyone does. But man that pig is a handful...:lol: I don't dare push to goat idea.;)

Why goats?

As a future hobby farmer (in 40 days!) I'm curious to know what value do goats have? Can you eat them?

Or are they lawn ornaments too?

Oh the glory of goats!

Well, let's see, you could have FIBER goats so you could spin. You could have DAIRY goats for milk and cheese. You could have Boers or Kikos for MEAT. You could have fainting goats for ENTERTAINMENT. You could get the mini breeds like Nigerians and cross them with your dairy breeds for MINI dairy goats. You can train them to pull a cart, and thereby your children. :D

Goats are the perfect animal.

When they poop it does not make a pie nor does it splatter.

When they swish their tail when milking it does not smack you in the face.

Dehorn them and they are the right size to move unlike larger animals.

They are pretty smart and can be trained.

They are very sociable critters.

They are entertaining to NO end.

I'm a bit of a goat fan and I miss mine very, very much.

Harry Houdini probably hit up goats for ideas for his act! That's how good they are at escaping. Also, in order to have a dairy operation, you have to keep your goats "freshened" and that means either a.i. or keeping a buck on the grounds. Just so you know, a buck in rut is one of the most disgusting creatures God ever placed on planet earth and you do not want to keep them anywhere upwind of your house because their urine stinketh much greatly! They pee all over their beards and rub it all over their body when they are "in the mood' and they will knock a woman down and attempt to AHEM. If they have horns, this can be dangerous because they expect compliance. So definitely, if you want a milk operation, DEHORN those boys!

That said, the does are docile, and a wether (neutered male) if it is neutered shortly after birth, can be one of the sweetest pets a child ever had. Wethers get very attached to their humans and are like big puppies. They love to snuggle, be stratched around the ears, etc. and tend to have a protective instinct for small children. I've seen a wether get between a toddler and a dog that was acting strangely. The dog was going to have to take the goat first. I've not seen this so much from does.

They are very smart and though I am exceptionally fond of the smaller fiber breed sheep, in particular Romneys, I must admit that goats are geniuses compared to sheep. I hate to say it but sheep are, sigh, stupid!

Now to the OP who would like the lawn mowed, two or three romney sheep (wethers or ewes with a nice luster to their coat) may be the ticket - romneys are naturally polled so you don't have to dehorn. They will definitely eat all your grass and they are small enough that the winter hay costs are not prohibitive. You can have them shorn each year and sell the wool to spinners. Light fencing works for sheep. As long as they have grass, they are very content and seldom wander from home. The only exception to this rule are the Blue Faced Leichesters. These sheep have ears and faces that look just like a fawn, but then big silvery white fleeces and dainty legs. But, like deer...they are flighty and they will escape more than the other fiber breeds.

Faith

Would this type of fence hold in a goat?

I mean, I know, if the goat WANTED out, it could get out, but if it had enough grass and feed in the barn, would it TRY to get out or would it stay in?

(see attached photo)

Yes. If you add insulators to the inside of those lovely wooden posts and electrify it, it will work quite well. ;)

cows?

Hmmmmm?

Sheep would eat the grass and are somewhat lazy. They might (big ones anyway) stay in that fence better.

Goats are browsers and prefer to eat things that grow off the ground a bit. They're great for keeping down the scrubby growth. If they get loose, they will destroy your bushes.

Just so you know, a buck in rut is one of the most disgusting creatures God ever placed on planet earth and you do not want to keep them anywhere upwind of your house because their urine stinketh much greatly! They pee all over their beards and rub it all over their body when they are "in the mood' and they will knock a woman down and attempt to AHEM. If they have horns, this can be dangerous because they expect compliance. So definitely, if you want a milk operation, DEHORN those boys!

Faith

Hey! That sounds just like my HUSBAND!!!

:lol::lol::lol: JK, but I just had to say it. ;)

Faith, I'm just wondering........... do you memorize complete encyclopedias? You are a WEALTH of information!!!!

That fence is like a goat sieve, only the goats drain right through. :)

Chain link is the onely thing, or hog panels with smaller fencing covering. And if your goats have babies, be prepared to add smaller fencing. If you use chain link, put a bar at the bottom. Ours itch themselves on the chain link and push it waaaaaaay out.

get you some cows. I love cows. But you still would want a bit of electric fencing along the inside of the fence. Cows like to scratch and rub on fences and will quite accidentally knock things down in their zeal to scratch.

(we have a herd of angus and angus crosses and I love them very much)

Hah!! The pygmy goat stories reminded me of when I was a highschooler & the pygmy at the barn I worked at snuck in the office one day - he jumped up on the desk and ATE ALL THE CHECKS!!! Rofl - she had just gotten paid from a bunch of boarders and riders, too... :)

I second sheep or alpacas. Maybe llamas, too - I don't know what you do with them, really, but they seem alright (my dad has some - they just stand around in the pasture).

We had Katahdin sheep, which are hair sheep. They don't grow wool so you don't have to shear them. We raised them to keep the grass down. We also ate them and sold them. The females are skittish unless you spend most of the day out there with them and they get used to you, or you bottle feed them as babies. The males are friendly until about 7 months, when their game of "ram the human" becomes dangerous. You would need a separate pen for him eventually. Or just don't get a ram.

We show and milk our goats, you can see pictures of them here.

http://www.dancingdogdairy.com/

Hocus Pocus is so pretty! So is her buckling.

I had one when I was a kid who looked just like Coco Chanel. Her name was Sweet Pea. We got a lot of lovely kids from her.

I sold all my Nubians when I got Saanens though. If I ever get goats again, it would probably be Saanens. I like the more laid back ones. :001_smile:

My aunt raises saanens. They give so much milk and give no drama at all. I just can't do the white. I'm spoiled by the colors. I don't think I could sell Saanen kids for as much.

Hocus is my love. I took her to be shown at the Houston Livestock Show, and for 3 days she SCREAMED every time I went to the bathroom, and she couldn't see me. She doesn't get shown anymore.

I want a buckling from the same herd that bred Coco, but they are too snooty to even acknowledge my emails and phone calls. Fortunately, I have a big name breeder willing to buy it for me, then sell it to me. It is crazy that I want to pay cash, but have to go to such lengths to buy the buckling want.