Menu

How Many Field Trips?

How Many Field Trips Do You Average Each Year?  

1. 1. How Many Field Trips Do You Average Each Year?

• None
    • Less than 4
    • 4-6
    • 7-9
    • 10-12
    • 13-19
    • 20-29
    • 30-39
    • 40-49
    • 50+

If we are tying field trips to specific lessons that we are studying currently then pretty much none.

We've been to the historical sites in Boston between years we studied the American Revolution. We've been to the alpaca farm and have never studied alpacas.

But on average our between our homeschool group and life opportunities we average 7-8 field trips a year.

I was just looking at our calendar for the year and realized I have a lot more field trips planned than I thought - I'm wondering if it's too many?

We're doing:

Botanical Gardens

Science Center

History Museum

Archeology Museum

Anthropology Museum

Fossil dig site

Mine tour

Cave tour

State Capitol

Nature Center

Indian Mounds

Children's Museum

Art Museum

Puppet Institute

Art Center

Theater (plays)

Concert (music)

As a newbie, I'm interested to know what the "norm" is (ha! like there's really a norm for anything in HS.) Field trips really float my boat, and I know my kids love them nearly as much as I do. We live in an area that is loaded with great field trip possiblities and looking over my list, we may not have time for all of them. I'd like to try, though....one of the reasons we were so drawn to homeschooling was the opportunities our kids would have to get out of the classroom and see and experience things in person.

I realized after I voted that I was thinking only about "intentional" field trips, things that I specifically seek out because they align with what we're studying.

As part of our lifestyle, though, we end up doing lots and lots of things that can be considered educational, just because we enjoy them.

For example, when I was working on my son's portfolio for this past year, I realized he had seen 37 live performances (including theatre, ballet, opera, instrumental and vocal concerts, dance, musical theatre), only five of which "counted" as field trips for subjects studied that year.

We go to museums on vacations and day trips just for fun, like when we were in New York for our daughter's graduation trip and spent a day at the Cloisters.

So, yes, he's learning lots of things from all of those experiences (more, I sometimes think, than he does from the activities I actually plan), but I don't count them as field trips unless the activity relates directly to something he's studying that year.

I voted 10-12. The tricky thing, is that we would do some of those if we weren't homeschooling. I see value in exposing my kids to things. Since we would be limited to weekends and vacations, it would be less. But, I don't have to track them and differentiate between school and family trips. Plus, we've been able to travel with my dh on some work trips that were fabulously educational (D.C., San Francisco, etc...)

Nature centers, museums, the ice cream plant, Arabian Horse Show, musical presentations, library programs(everything from puppet presentations of literature to Native American storytellers), zoo, aquarium, cultural programs, etc.... We live in a city and have as many opportunities as we could possibly want.

Edited by snickelfritz

I voted less than 4 because we go on maybe one or two per year now that my sons are older (8th & 11th grades). When they were in their elementary grade years we were part of a co-op that took at least 4 field trips per year. On top of that we had several great park systems nearby that offered activities--guided tours and other special programs. And we were members of the museum center that had 3 museums--history, natural history (science), and children's--which we went to at least once a month. And we signed up for the Symphony for Children concerts.

When the kids were younger we took any opportunity for enrichment activities. Part of what helped is that there was so much available within a short drive--30 minutes! As they got older they got busier with their studies, and we wanted field trips to be tied more closely to their studies. Plus we moved to an area where many of the good field trips for their age would require driving at least an hour into the city. We did a couple of those, got completely wiped out from it, and were just reluctant to do more activities like it.

It would be helpful to break this down by grades...

When my sons were much younger - we did one or two a week. Say - until 4th grade. As they have gotten older, they have slowly diminished in number.

I'd say last year (7th grade) DS and I maybe did 3 the whole year.

It would be helpful to break this down by grades...

When my sons were much younger - we did one or two a week. Say - until 4th grade. As they have gotten older, they have slowly diminished in number.

I'd say last year (7th grade) DS and I maybe did 3 the whole year.

:iagree:

For several years, we left the house every Thursday for a field trip.

I consider all field trips to be educational, even if they don't specifically have anything to do with anything we're studying. How could they *not* be "educational"???

:D

Well I just recently typed up our end of year review and I had at least 3 handwritten pages of trips we'd taken, so I voted 50+. At least for last year. Probably close to that this year as well.

Last year we did trips to Boston, Portland, Maine, Nova Scotia, New Brunswick, Puerto Rico, Charlotte, NC, Jamestown, Colonial Williamsburg, Philadelphia, and various other places in PA, NJ and NY state.

We go into NYC at least monthly.

We go to museums, events, shows, performances, historical sites, interesting sites, National Parks, National Historic sites, churches, botanical gardens, zoos. We go to see places, see people and see things. We go just for the experience of going someplaces.

Well, I'm the field trip coordinator for my CC Co-op :) We do a lot of trips as a group, then we do stuff as a family.

We are studying American History this year.

We live on the outskirts of DC, here's what I have planned:

* Homeschool days at Williamsburg/Jamestown/Yorktown

* Nighttime Monument Walk (WW2, Vietnam, Lincoln, Korean, FDR, Jefferson Monuments)

* Ft. McHenry (Baltimore)

* Bureau of Engraving and Printing

* Hammond Harwood House (Annapolis)

* HHH (above) for Pumpkin Walk (you celebrate All Hallows Eve the way colonial kids did, then parade up Main St. Annapolis)

* Mt. Vernon

* Museum of Civil War Medicine

* US Army Band Christmas Concert

* The Nutcracker (DC themed!! The Nutcracker looks like G. Washington and there are Cherry Blossom fairies instead of sugar plum fairies, at the historic Warner Theater in DC!! My favorite!)

* Tour of Capitol Building, see Congress in action

* National Archives

* Police Station

* Post Office

* Baltimore Museum of Industry

* Supreme Court & Library of Congress (same day, right next to each other)

* Local Christian radio station

* Maryland State House tour, watch Assembly in action, walk down the street to local Ice cream/candy store for tour :)

* Oxon Hill Farm (make butter, see animals, learn about plantation life)

* National Cryptological Museum

* Spring finale to Gettysburg

* Day/weekend in Philadelphia

* early summer trip to NYC to see statue of Liberty

We also attend several performances at the Kennedy Center throughout the year.

I voted 10-12. We have one per month scheduled with the homeschool group.

However, we have a membership to the zoo and the science museum, and we've been to the children's museum a couple times, and we recently took a weekend to do things like see a national monument and park, go on a cave tour, and visit other zoo-like places, and I did not count those as field trips as such. I just count them as "life."

When my boys were younger, we were all ways going on a field trip here and there. But now that they are high school level, it seems their self-directed activities take up much of our free time: fencing, rowing, drama club, violin lessons, internships, etc. Yet if I don't get out once a month for my own sanity.....well, I'd be afraid what would happen!!! So we go to a play, a museum, a lecture, or whatever each month.

Myra

I voted 40-49, as that is what we averaged the past two calendar years. This year, though, we haven't gone on as many field trips simply because DH's work schedule has not allowed us our normal vacations. (We normally do at least one 10-day 'educational travel' adventure a year.)

Our 2010 field trip log (not all were counted as actual field trips):

Science

Museum of Nature and Science – Dallas

Bodyology (Slim Goodbody health/body show)

Saint Louis Science Center

Fort Worth Museum of Science and Natural History

Animals

Fossil Rim Wildlife Park

Fort Worth Zoo

Omaha Henry Doorly Zoo

Cameron Park Zoo (Waco, Texas)

Topeka (Kansas) Zoological Park

Saint Louis Zoo

Sophia M. Sachs Butterfly House (St. Louis)

Nature

Dinosaur Valley State Park

Bonham State Park

Lake Ray Roberts State Park

Fort Worth Nature Center

Camp Tonkawa

Meramec Caverns (St. Louis)

History

Visited Lincoln Monument and Lewis and Clark Memorial (Council Bluffs, Iowa)

Missouri River Basin / Lewis and Clark Center (Nebraska City)

Pony Express National Museum (St. Joseph, Missouri)

Waco Mammoth Site (Waco, Texas)

Mayborn Museum (Waco, Texas – science/nature/history)

Gardens

Dallas Arboretum

Theater and Music

Year with Frog and Toad

Yankee Doodle Dandy

The Alamo

Stinky Cheese Man

The Lion, The Witch and The Wardrobe

The Secret Garden

Annie

Peter Pan

Lyle, Lyle Crocodile

Dr. Dolittle

The Prince and the Pauper

Celtic Spring (concert)

Nutcracker

Art and Architecture

Kimbell Art Museum (Private Collections of Texas)

Modern Art Museum of Fort Worth (Andy Warhol exhibit)

Saint Louis Gateway Arch

City Museum (St. Louis)

National Cowgirl Museum (Georgia O’Keefe exhibit)

Wendell Minor exhibit

Misc.

Train Show

Antique Science and Retro-Tech Show

Dr Pepper Museum

Helicopter tour of St. Louis Gateway Arch/Mississippi River area

State Fair of Texas

We do a lot of stuff that's educational that's not necessarily tied in to our current school work, but would count as a field trip for institutional schools.

We're lucky to live near a large city with a LOT of free/low-cost opportunities. We'd take advantage of them even if the kids were in school, but we probably wouldn't do as many just because of scheduling difficulties.

I voted 10-12 because we plan one about once a month. After reading your post I realized I should have voted much higher. I didn't count weekend trips to the art museum or theatre with daddy. I guess I just count those as family time, not field trips. Yes, they are learning something, but they don't feel as formal since it is *just* us. The field trips I counted are with a group of friends who homeschool as well. If we count everything, even trips with daddy it would be more like 30-50.

Too many? This year we're going from Ancients to the middle ages/early renaissance. Our plans are:

Florence

Pompeii

Rome

Duke's palace in Venice

Ravenna (for Byzantine art)

an amusement park (physics :lol:)

olive oil factory

Bolzano (for Otzi the ice man)

And probably a few with our co-op, though not directly related to our studies.

2010/2011 school year:

1 zoo

3 museums

1 art center

nature center

2011/2012 plans:

American History Museum and National Archives - D.C.

Danish American Festival - Greenville, MI.

Detroit Institute of Arts

Shedd Aquarium - Chicago

Museum of Science and Industry - Chicago

4H Lansing Capitol Experience - Ds 14 yrs.

Faith

I voted 7-9, only counting ones on "school days" and not weekends or evenings. We did more when they were younger . . . I think one a week is awesome for the grammar years! It's probably higher than that if you count shorter excursions and 'unplanned' field trips.

This year, we will likely do:

Aquarium and zoo

Art museum and sculpture garden

Botanical garden

Live theatre and musical performances

General visits to the city (we live near New Orleans, so any wandering is automatically historical/educational :D)

Science/discovery museums

Nature walks at the preserve

D-Day Museum

I was just looking at our calendar for the year and realized I have a lot more field trips planned than I thought - I'm wondering if it's too many?

We're doing:

Botanical Gardens

Science Center

History Museum

Archeology Museum

Anthropology Museum

Fossil dig site

Mine tour

Cave tour

State Capitol

Nature Center

Indian Mounds