Menu

Time for another Bible!

We have NIV, NASB key word, KJV, Daniel Stern's Complete Jewish Bible and now it's time to buy another translation.

I should have bought the parallel Bible that I saw about 5 years ago, but did not. They don't seem to be as common.

For 2 days now, I've been researching Bibles "in store". I'm interested in a NKJV Study Bible. The Application version was suggested to me. Tyndale.

What is your favorite study Bible? And, as always, I ask WHY? :D

Thanks!

Can I tell you how to make it look like this:

MacArthur Study Bible

NKJV Chronological Study Bible?

(Just in case you're wondering of course! If not, no biggie...)

After typing the words "MacArthur Study Bible" highlight them with your cursor. Then click the button above the text box that looks like a globe with 2 links of a chain on it (under the smiley button). In the pop up window, put the entire URL that you copied from Christianbook.com and hit "Okay." That's it!

Huh?

Just testing, even though John Macarthur drives me nuts! ;-)

MacArthur Study Bible

After typing the words "MacArthur Study Bible" highlight them with your cursor. Then click the button above the text box that looks like a globe with 2 links of a chain on it (under the smiley button). In the pop up window, put the entire URL that you copied from Christianbook.com and hit "Okay." That's it!

I have the ESV Study Bible and it's ok but with my old eyes I find the type very hard to read.

I like the NKJV (I have several - one is giant print). It seems that very, very often, when my pastor is reading from the pulpit in his KJV he stops and says "that word translated from the Greek is actually ________" and __________ is what is in my NKJV. It just seems easier to have a Bible that I don't have to use a dictionary to understand.

I have a MacArthur Study Bible in the NKJV and I like it very much. Being a reformed Baptist I appreciate MacArthur's POV. It may not suit everyone.

Another version I appreciate having on hand is the Amplified Bible. I wouldn't choose this version to "read thru the Bible in a year" because it is kind of redundant in places and takes some wading through at times, but if I am confused by a verse or a word, this is the version I reach for to gain more insight.

The ESV Study Bible rocks. Great notes, great translation, and color illustrations/diagrams throughout.

Agree!!! This is my favorite.

From their website: http://www.esvstudybible.org/

[INDENT]The ESV Study Bible was created to help people understand the Bible in a deeper way—to understand the timeless truth of God’s Word as a powerful, compelling, life-changing reality. To accomplish this, the ESV Study Bible combines the best and most recent evangelical Christian scholarship with the highly regarded ESV Bible text. The result is the most comprehensive study Bible ever published—with 2,752 pages of extensive, accessible Bible resources.

Created by an outstanding team of 95 evangelical Christian scholars and teachers, the ESV Study Bible presents completely new study notes, maps, illustrations, charts, timelines, articles, and introductions. Altogether the ESV Study Bible comprises 2 million words of Bible text, insightful explanation, teaching, and reference material—equivalent to a 20-volume Bible resource library all contained in one volume.[/indent]

It is by far, my favorite.

But, I need to tell you, I call my "My Duct Tape Bible" because I use duct tape to repair the binding. I always buy hardcover rather than leather because the pages are thicker and I do a lot of writing, underlining, etc. But, the result is that the cover starts separating from the inside. It doesn't bother me at all. I've been duct taping my Bibles for years.

I did buy the Reformation Study Bible several years ago, but didn't like it nearly as much. Happy hunting!

Thanks, C! Do you own other translations too?

Yep--NIV, NKJV, KJV, NASB, I think we have a Message floating around here, and I'm sure there are others. Dh went to Bible college and was in Seminary for awhile, so we have an abundance of Bibles.

My current Bible is an NIV. My dh has the ESV Study Bible, and I'd really like one. But my son gave me my NIV for Christmas a few years ago, and he's so happy that I use it. I'm thinking of asking for the personal size Study Bible from him this year.

The ESV Study Bible rocks. Great notes, great translation, and color illustrations/diagrams throughout.

:iagree:

I own NIV, KJV, ASB and a couple of others not coming to mind right now (a chronological Bible too), but of them all I really love the ESV Study Bible. It's the one we've chosen to give our boys as they graduate (nice one with name engraved, etc).

I absolutely love all the explanations, especially the introductions to each book.

I love my ESV, but be prepared, that thing is a beast. It's huge. I bought it and unfortunately it was just too big to carry to church (if you're planning to use it like that) and was just a little big to use in my daily reading. As a study Bible, though, I don't think it can be beat. (I use my Thompson Chain Reference NASB for everyday reading and my ESV when I want to look something up; great notes.)

Edited by Guest

Do your ESV's have red text/Christ's words? Even though it's not necessary, it's easier for me to have His words set apart in red text.

Mine does not. I have this one:

I did want to comment b/c you mentioned the Life Application Study Bible - I also love that Bible (I think I've been through 4-5 of them), so know that that Bible is definitely not a bad choice! (and I've been through that many b/c of different taste in translation and that some of those were in Jr. High and High School - it's not that they are made poorly. :))

I downloaded the YouVersion Bible app to my iPhone and there are 25 English versions in it. I've found this to be very helpful when wanting to flip from one version to another to compare. I don't use this for Sunday, though, because I like to write notes in my regular Bible, which is the NASB. Our church also uses the ESV sometimes. I have an OSB and like it very much, but it's not one of the versions on my phone, which is a bummer.

MacArthur Study Bible

I'm going to try this now. THANKS for sharing this. Here is the Bible I was looking into...must decide now about red letters or not.

Life Application Study Bible NKJV

Dh's seminary NT prof really recommended the ESV and now that there is an ESV Study Bible, I've thought about getting one for myself. I have been using the ESV some on my phone app and like it.

I'll also vote for the Orthodox Study Bible. I really want one of those too. When dh was in seminary, I was in a Bible Study for wives and one of our members had an Orthodox Study Bible. She always had some really interesting insight into what we were grappling with that day.

So I guess if I had to pick just one, I would go for the OSB, but they are both on my list!

Dh's seminary NT prof really recommended the ESV and now that there is an ESV Study Bible, I've thought about getting one for myself. I have been using the ESV some on my phone app and like it.

I'll also vote for the Orthodox Study Bible. I really want one of those too. When dh was in seminary, I was in a Bible Study for wives and one of our members had an Orthodox Study Bible. She always had some really interesting insight into what we were grappling with that day.

So I guess if I had to pick just one, I would go for the OSB, but they are both on my list!

Hey, I have an extra NT/Psalms version if you're interested (we have the full version and I found this one at a thrift store recently). I'd be happy to mail it to you if you'd like. PM me your address if interested!