Menu

So if I went to Trader Joe's....

We like spicy bean dip

I like the anti-oxidant trail mix (it is just nuts and berries)

dd loves the sweet potato chips. Ds (3 year old) is crazy about the Blackberry crush juice and the teeny peanut butter cups

We also liked the Red Pepper hummus, we like dipping cucumbers, bell peppers and carrots into it.

We just got two TJs here in KC so I haven't tried very many things yet. I did see a lot of prepared foods like salads and wraps. You could probably get some meals there.

Edited by Sis

Their bagged nuts are awesome - 10x better than Planters and other store's nuts. We snack on their cashews/walnuts/almonds liberally over here.

Their turquoise box fish sticks are also good, as is their indian food and frozen naan.

Fruit popsicles.

Frozen vegetables. Frozen Fruit.

Frozen fish.

Waffles. Pancake Balls.

Cheese selection. Lunch meet selection.

*skip their produce, it is not better than other stores except for their bagged salad greens*

I mostly get the things they have that normally have dye at the regular stores. Like lollipops, fruit & grain bars...snacky things for my kids.

In the refrigerator section near the produce they have this "Mideast Feast" thing that is SO good. I get that every time I go for myself for lunch. I love it so much! But you'd have to eat it right away or refrigerate it.

I also love their spinach & garlic fettuccine noodles.

My older son LOVES their canned chicken noodle soup.

Oh my...this is making me want to go!

Although I would not recommend drinking and driving :tongue_smilie: I always try and get their "two buck chuck" Charles Shaw wine. It was $2.99 the last time I was in a TJ store which was almost a year ago. I haven't yet met someone who doesn't like it so even if you aren't a wine drinker, they make a nice housewarming gift.

I've also had different kinds of their trailmix - yum! - and my husband likes their blueberry jelly.

Their dried mangoes are to die for -- unsweetened, unsulphured and as sweet as candy. We LOVE them. Their real maple syrup is a good deal, as is their peanut butter (no sugar or hydrogenated oil or other bad stuff). Also love their brown rice noodles, marinara sauce, and coffee.

As you can see, we find that their "staple" products are delicious and are healthier than regular store offerings. So that's what I stock up on -- with a box of Lacey's Cookies for good measure! (They are sort of this almond/toffee/dark chocolate cookie that is AMAZING.)

If you're into wine, they always have a FABULOUS selection at TJ's! I love their frozen food section, their selection of pastas, their soups, and the chips - especially the blue corn tortilla chips with spicy bean dip and/or their wonderful salsa. Oh, and they also sell a good variety of brands of free range chickens. (I don't usually buy other types of meats there because even though they are organically grown or all natural, I've found that they are priced a bit higher than I can get elsewhere.)

Have fun!

Blessings,

Lucinda

Sadly, the TJs in my state do not carry wine. I buy:

Irish Breakfast Tea (1/4 the cost of Twinings and just as good)

Black olive tapenade and whole grain crackers

Spaghetti sauce

Korma sauce

Frozen Chinese food (orange chicken, chicken teriyaki, pork dumplings, shu mai, lemongrass spring roll thingies, etc)

Tahini

CHEESE -all of it

Curry chicken

Burgundy lamb

Cereal

HTH

KFP

Breakfast cereal. Cheaper and less likely to have junk in it.

English muffins - ditto.

Mini pitas, whole wheat, to go with hummus.

If you're travelling, bring a few plastic containers, get some frozen mixed berries and add a scoop of vanilla yogurt from the big tub. One bag of berries to one large tub of yogurt is our preferred ratio. Makes nice parfaits.

Their ready meals - sandwiches and such - aren't all that, IMHO. OTOH their pre-prepared meats are quite nice.

Sausages! Healthy ones.

They do a great sheep's milk feta in brine - in a blue and white plastic box - we cut a piece and crush it with a fork on the underside of the lid, then add it to whatever we're eating.

Thai sauce is nice.

Chocolate of course.

Dr. Bonner's soap - much cheaper there.

Did you know they're owned by the same folks who own Aldi's?

A few of our favorites:

- the hummus dips (refrigerated) with the sesame crackers

- French Berry Lemonade (carbonated; much better than soda)

- artichoke spinach dip (refrigerated) with the seasoned pita chips

- Blackened Cajon Chicken Fettucine (refrigerated dinner you can just microwave -- WAY expensive, but we sometimes splurge and pretend it's dinner out!)

- bundles of fresh basil (we use a large amount to make pesto, and this is the only place that sells it as a large enough bundle to do so)

- "noodle boxes" -- green, red or blue box of seasoned noodles and sauce that you open up, microwave for 2 minutes and eat -- makes a great lunch for hungry teen boys

- bags of pasta (only $1/pound bag here -- everywhere else it runs $2-3/pound bag)

- dried cranberries (I use them in a recipe for cranberry orange scones)

- TJ brand chocolate chips (really good flavor!)

- TJ brand mini chocolate-peanutbutter-cup candies

- chocolate ganache torte (refrigerated; wow! that's rich and good!)

- seasonal only item: shortbread cookies dipped in dark chocolate and sprinkled with white non-pareils -- oh my! I must have gained 5 pounds last Christmas eating those things!

We just had the chocolate chip cookie ice cream sandwiches last week and they were yummy.

I like their sponges too. You buy a bag with several and add water to expand one when you need to use a new one. They are thick and soft so last longer.

Pretzel bites with peanut butter are delicious and on the snack aisle. I also just bought refrigerated pizza dough that I'm excited to try. Milk and cottage cheese are good too.

Almond butter

Trail mixes and dried fruit

Pink Lemonaide

Olive Oil popcorn

Cookies... the last ones we bought were chocolate chip with cranberries I think.

They have a candy but I forget the name. It's animals (was lambs in the spring dont know if the same now) they are jellied type with fruit juice in the center. Gee, I just can't think what they are called.

Maple Leaf sandwich cookies.

Spa Face Wash with tea tree oil

Tea tree Tingle body wash (don't usually like wash, like soap, but this is tingly)

Tea tree tingle shampoo, pretty good, too.

Almost forgot: orange flavored dried cranberries are heavenly, with a really heady essence.