Menu

If I may be permitted to complain for a moment

I really try not to do this in public, but I'm getting a little too frustrated right now (even though I think it's all a little funny) to keep it in.

Kyrgyzstan isn't the easiest place to live, especially when you don't live in the capital. We're lucky to be renting a house with a washing machine, water heater, a fridge, an electric pump on the well, and a gas furnace and stove (instead of a coal furnace and coal stove). And we have internet access at home. It's only 45kb/sec, but it's internet access.

But almost none of those things work right most of the time. The electricity goes out often enough that the freezer thaws out and fills up with water which refreezes and gradually plugs up the system, resulting in the fridge part not working. I don't have neighbors with fridges, nor do I have ice chests, so the whole thing results in frantic melting so I can thaw out the fridge compeltely before the food goes bad.

The electric pump on the well has worked for about 6 weeks out of the 6 months we've been here (and what a glorious six weeks they were). The city water is on with low pressure about half the day if we're lucky.

The low pressure means that there's not enough pressure to force the hot water out of the water heater if the well pump isn't working. Cold showers are lovely in the summer when it's 90 degrees inside, though, because we don't have an air conditioner. It's a little more annoying when I have to heat water in the even-hotter kitchen to do the dishes. From what I've heard, the city water will be more reliable again in the winter. I sincerely hope so, because our gas furnace can't keep the house warmer than 60 degrees when it's cold outside and I like a hot shower.

If the water doesn't work, it's hard to use the washing machine. It is a convenient model because I can fill it manually, although that takes a lot of time and lots of water-hauling from the well outside. But it's a lot easier than washing the clothes by hand.

If the city water isn't working and the electric pump isn't working, I can manually pump the well. But the handle on the well doesn't always work well and sometimes barely manages to pump up dirty water. So I fill the kitchen bucket (no plumbing in the kitchen) with the dirty water and leave it overnight to let all the particles sink to the bottom. Then I can filter it for drinking.

The stove has worked all the time the way it was supposed to. It's a quirky little thing though, with the flame rising and falling on each burner on its own, and the oven can't be set to a certain temperature- I have to continuously adjust it while I'm cooking. None of the shelves are level either, but it is large enough to fit a cookie sheet.

I was going to do this on my blog, but apparently blogger.com is blocked today in Kyrgyzstan. I can read my blog through blogspot.com, but I can't post to it on blogger.com. And I barely managed to keep the internet connected long enough to post this.

Honestly, I really am glad to be here (the vegetables are very fresh), but some days are a little rough. I'm going to take a (cold) shower and go to bed and hopefully things will be a little better in the morning when I'll remember that I have a lot to be grateful for. I just needed to get this all out somewhere, and this is the only place I could do it.

Sorry things are rough in your corner of the world. But thanks for giving me some much needed perspective. I was whining about the heat and humidity and why is my new dishwasher taking a week to get here and get installed?

Now I'm feeling so grateful.