Menu

Harry Potter movie 7/2 spoiler thread what did you think?

Pro:

There were some parts that were awesome to see brought to life. The dragon, the knights defending the castle; Mrs Weasley doing away the Bellatrix; Neville killing Nagini. And there were the heartbreaking deaths.

Con: I was really sad tha Kreacher did not get his redemption and there were no house elves.

Funny: when Voldemort hugged Draco my middle dd said, "awwwkwaaaard," the row of guys in front of us cracked up.

My son (8) and I discussed going to the midnight showing, but he decided that he wanted to be fresh and awake to see it....we'll be going at 1:40 this afternoon. We just finished watching part I with our projector and big screen.

Soooo excited and counting down the hours.

I'm thinking that we'll see it twice, and I'm pretty sure it'll be at the local drive in theater, so we are planning on seeing it there in the coming weeks, too.

Con: I was really sad tha Kreacher did not get his redemption and there were no house elves.

I was also sad that Percy didn't get his redemption moment, either.

Funny: when Voldemort hugged Draco my middle dd said, "awwwkwaaaard," the row of guys in front of us cracked up.

:lol:

I think they did a great job with Snape's death scene. I wish we could have had more of Harry mourning over Fred, Lupin and Tonks, though.

The deaths of the different characters was handled very well. I cried during Snape's memories of Lily. :( I also loved his parents and the others showing up to help him face Voldemort. Cried during that scene as well.

A couple of things I wish they hadn't changed: Harry telling Neville to kill Nagini and Harry revealing to Voldemort why the elder wand was his, and that Snape was Dumbledore's man, not his.

Overall, I was very happy with the movie. I'm going to be seeing it again. Between the obnoxious high school girl yelling out comments during the movie and applause that broke out in many scenes, I missed some lines. It was worth all that, though, to be there for the midnight showing. So exciting!

Guest jab300
I think they did a great job with Snape's death scene. I wish we could have had more of Harry mourning over Fred, Lupin and Tonks, though.

I agree, and more with Teddy than just Harry saying, "Your son." I also didn't like the Grey Lady bit, they really hacked that. Otherwise it was superb, the whole place laughed at the Voldemort hug, hooted when Ron and Hermione finally kissed (loved her giggle) and cheered when Harry fell out of Hagrid's arms. :)

I'm thinking that we'll see it twice, and I'm pretty sure it'll be at the local drive in theater, so we are planning on seeing it there in the coming weeks, too.

I think we might have to see it again once things calm down a little.

Just thinking aloud, but I think that sort of mirrored the book. The deaths started coming fast and furious and there was no time to dwell on any of them unless you stepped away from the book and put it down. ;)

I agree about Percy's redemption scene. My kids mentioned that as one of the things they were upset about. Of course, they put it differently.

I wish there had been a bit more about Tonks and Lupin's son, Teddy. It was so good, though, that I honestly didn't mind the missing bits. It was my favorite HP movie, by far! AMAZING!

:iagree:

The deaths of the different characters was handled very well. I cried during Snape's memories of Lily. :( I also loved his parents and the others showing up to help him face Voldemort. Cried during that scene as well.

A couple of things I wish they hadn't changed: Harry telling Neville to kill Nagini and Harry revealing to Voldemort why the elder wand was his, and that Snape was Dumbledore's man, not his.

I wish there had been a bit more about Tonks and Lupin's son, Teddy. It was so good, though, that I honestly didn't mind the missing bits. It was my favorite HP movie, by far! AMAZING!

I wish the book had done a little bit more about him too though.

I found it to be visually stunning but the story lacking. There are two major themes in the book: the complexity of Dubledore and the redemption of Snape. One comes down a couple notches and the other goes up a couple. Both are reveled to be complex human beings, neither purely good or evil. They both move to the middle of the spectrum.

Neither was addressed properly. We got no mention of Dumbledore's relationship with Grindlewald and his dabbling in pureblood ideology as a youth. There was no mention of his poor sister other than to say she loved Dumbledore and died very young. We got no moment where Harry tells the wizarding world that Snape was always Dumbldore's man. He never even comes up as a topic with Voldemort. We get no information about how Snape struggled with Dumbldore's orders to kill him.

Things just happen in the movie. We get the plot points and action but no motivation or any sense of narrative, of how and why things are happening. Things happen because someone else DOES something not because someone felt something or experienced something.

That said, I think the 7th book is one of the weakest in the series, and this movie was a better reflection of the book than the other movies have been of theirs.

If you are a fan of the series, it is worth seeing but I don't think there is a big hurry.

Edited by redsquirrel
left out a word

I was a little upset that in Snape's memory, Dumbledore was made to seem like he was simply using Harry. I know he really did love Harry, it just seemed strange.

I loved the memory though. Snape is one of my favorite characters.

Also, in the book, doesn't Neville kill Nagini in front of Voldemort and then Harry and Voldemort fight in front of everyone? I haven't read it since it came out, so I could be wrong, but I though that was how it went and if it did, I would have preferred to see it that way.

Another thing was when Voldemort died. When Bellatrix died, there was a cheer. When Nagini died, there was a cheer. When Voldemort died, you couldn't really cheer. He slowly disinigrated (sp?) so there was no room for cheering. Then again, I can't remember how it happened in the book though. I probably should have read it again before watching it.

Edited by BeatleMania

I was a little upset that in Snape's memory, Dumbledore was made to seem like he was simply using Harry. I know he really did love Harry, it just seemed strange.

Also, in the book, doesn't Neville kill Nagini in front of Voldemort and then Harry and Voldemort fight in front of everyone? I haven't read it since it came out, so I could be wrong, but I though that was how it went and if it did, I would have preferred to see it that way.

I think it is both ways with Dumbldore. I think he did love Harry and I think he did use him as a means to destroy Voldemort. Or, rather he knew he had a weapon in Harry and he grew to love him.

And yes, Neville stands up to Voldemort and then Voldemort put the sorting hat on Neville and set it on fire. The sword falls out of the hat onto Neville's head and he uses it to cut the head off the snake in front of everyone. That was one of my fave moments in the book.

I wanted to see that hat burn. I think sorting the society into groups like that was part of the whole problem.

But, it was Snape's memory. We have more information than he did, so does Harry.

I agree with you about the hat, redsquirrel.

I loved it!!! My favorite part was when Nevel said "You and what army." He's my favorite character.

I however haven't read the books, I didn't want to ruin the movies by reading the books first. ;)

I am a bit sad now that it's over, no more to look forward to.

~Cari

I loved it!!! My favorite part was when Nevel said "You and what army." He's my favorite character.

I however haven't read the books, I didn't want to ruin the movies by reading the books first. ;)

~Cari

I love Neville. They changed his part quite a bit but I LOVED what they did with it. The bridge scene was cool.

I loved it! No where near as much as I love the books, but for what they were - they were great.

I was actually REALLY surprised at how close to the book they remained with how much the previous movies had changed. There were so many things previous movies cut or changed that had big roles in the last book (house elves, etc) that I wondered how they would do it. It was different, but still good.

All the scenes I wanted to see were well done, I only wish there had been more....oomph....with some of the deaths. That said, I agree that in the book there isn't much time to deal with them either, it's all pretty fast paced.

The pacing of this movie was MUCH better than the last, although some of the editing was still choppy. Gorgeous camera work. Great music.

And can I just say that Maggie Smith is my favorite?? I ADORE her. :D

We are just now waking up! :D

I am SO glad we took the kids to the midnight show. The crowd was great- not too many interruptions and cheering at the right places. We live fairly rurally so did not expect a big scene; I was so happy to see how many people (and these were 'cool' teenagers!) had wands and capes. We even saw some pretty impressive death eaters!

As for the movie itself, we LOVED it! I will have to see it again to form a less emotional opinion, but thought it well done other than the things mentioned above (slight plot changes, not enough Teddy, and not really portraying the depth of character that made the story so brilliant).

(I don't think I am really awake yet- sorry!)

I try to watch the movies as movies and not pick them apart. It's hard when I've read the books so many times, but I really do enjoy both on their own.

Anyway...

I wish Fred's death had been dramatic - he was an important enough character to deserve that. I wish Harry told Neville to kill the snake, that he told Voldemort about the elder wand and about Snape, and that there was more of Aberforth and the Dumbledore story.

None of that though, interfered with my enjoyment of the movie. I loved how Neville was portrayed. Even though it was different from the book, you still got a sense of his transformation. I love him on the bridge taunting the deatheaeters. :D I also liked that there were some light moments. It was an intense an action packed movie, so the lighter dialogue helped break that up a bit.

I think The Kiss was well done, including them laughing afterwards. I could almost see Rupert and Emma laughing about it after the take, and having that used as part of the movie.

Tom Felton did a good job of conveying how conflicted Draco was. Maggie Smith rocked. Alan Rickman rocked, as always. Snape's memories were well done. I cried of course.

We will see it again, but I'm glad we went the midnight showing. It was so much fun laughing and cheering at all the right scenes, with a theater full of die hard fans.

These are my major points, too. For the very end - I prefer the book.

I think Rickman will get a supporting actor Oscar nod for this. You heard it here first!;)

SPOILER!!!!!

Well - up until the end I was sooooooo impressed with how well the book was followed.

We all really enjoyed the movie - but I was really disappointed that the WHOLE THEME of the entire 7 books was hardly alluded to. For someone who read the books - i suppose you could still kinda tell.....

What happened to the "Harry gave his life up out of love for the wizarding community, and thus Voldemort could hurt no one" Part?

I mean - all seven books - Dumbledore talked about the most powerful force being love, Lilly gave up her life out of love, and Harry just didn't get it until the end - always asking Dumbledore how in the world "love' would help him against Voldemort.

Anyway - part of what I adore about the books is that very theme - and I was sad that people who hadn't read the books didn't get to experience that part of the series.

Loved it. After watching the trailer, I was a little worried that they'd strayed farther from the original story, but that part was much better than expected. There were certainly things that were left out that I wished they'd been able to include, but that's how it goes. I do wish they'd done something with the concept that Voldemort's curses/spells couldn't harm the Hogwarts defenders anymore because Harry had sacrificed himself for them--I love that idea in the book.

Overall, though, they did a great job of pulling out the most important things to highlight. I want to go see it again!

ETA: I thought the nod to the fandom fantasies of a Neville-Luna relationship was perfect! :)

Edited by Kirch

Another thing was when Voldemort died. When Bellatrix died, there was a cheer. When Nagini died, there was a cheer. When Voldemort died, you couldn't really cheer. He slowly disinigrated (sp?) so there was no room for cheering. Then again, I can't remember how it happened in the book though. I probably should have read it again before watching it.

ITA with the bolded. I think Harry's defeat of Voldemort lost something without the accompanying explanations and the others seeing it happen. It's not even really clear *why* he dies (the rebounding curse) unless you already know, I think.

And as far as Dumbledore using Harry, in the book it comes across that way initially too. It's only after the King's Cross scene that you understand that Dumbledore knew (or rather, suspected) that Harry would survive. But I think in the book he really had to believe he was going to his death for it to work on multiple levels--the resurrection stone and his sacrifice gaining the protection of his friends from Voldemort, to name a couple.

Edited by Kirch

~Cari

if you haven't read the books - go read them. how can you have not read the books? I have one son who said - oh, it's that time of year. I need to go read the books again.

next week maybe I'll go see it. my daughter went this morning, but I haven't spoken with her yet.

I just want to know that the ending is as satisfying as the book.

Ginny's role seemed shortchanged in the last 2 movies compared to book 7. She and Neville together were the ringleaders of the student resistance at Hogwarts and she was fighting Bellatrix before her mom uttered the famous line.

I do wish they had included Kreacher's and Percy's redemption and more of Dumbledore's backstory.

Neither was addressed properly. We got no mention of Dumbledore's relationship with Grindlewald and his dabbling in pureblood ideology as a youth. There was no mention of his poor sister other than to say she loved Dumbledore and died very young. We got no moment where Harry tells the wizarding world that Snape was always Dumbldore's man. He never even comes up as a topic with Voldemort. We get no information about how Snape struggled with Dumbldore's orders to kill him.

Things just happen in the movie. We get the plot points and action but no motivation or any sense of narrative, of how and why things are happening. Things happen because someone else DOES something not because someone felt something or experienced something.

I thought it was disappointing. I know there was no way they could capture everything (although, I thought that was why it was broken down into two parts), but the emotional disconnect I felt for nearly all of the characters surprised even me. Everything that they decided to cover just...happened. And then it was over.

I wanted to cry when Fred died. I wanted to understand Snape. I wanted to be on edge while Hogwarts was being taken over. I wanted, I wanted, I wanted...but the movie just did not deliver for me at all. I am an emotional mess when I read the books, but with the movies...eh.

I laughed, I cried, I cheered. It was a great experience (my first midnight release).

That said, yes there are things I wish were touched on more, but I realize it just can't be done. Some things you just can't translate to the big screen.

I was so looking forward to Snape's memories. I have loved him from the very first book. I cried harder at his death scene than Harry's!

We had a blast at the movie last night and have been talking about it all day. Lovedlovedloved Neville. Didn't like what they did with the Malfoys. One or two lines would've made the difference in their portrayal. I don't like how they ran away. And I wish the final fight had been done by the book. Harry getting in the middle of Voldemort and everyone else and telling him he had no power over them anymore. I wish that had been included.

So who's planning on another viewing? :D

Oh and my 13 year old son's friend, who has never read or watched ANY Harry Potter and suggested that Twilight (:barforama: ) would be a much more entertaining choice, said at the end of the movie, that it was MUCH better than any Twilight movies. ;) (I couldn't agree more)

Overall, we LOVED it. The scenes with Snape's memories... oh my gosh. Tore my heart out. :sad: The awkward hug between Voldy & Draco was hilarious (I'm thinking that was Voldy's first hug... ever... which was sad.)

The kids thought that happy/jubilant/victorious Voldy was waaaay scarier than "scary" Voldy. :blink:

Things I missed:

1) Neville's Big Moment. I know he had "other" big moments, but I LOVED how, in the book, Harry told Neville what to do. In the end, Ron & Hermione were completely spent... and it was Neville who had that last little bit of oomph, did what needed doing, and revitalized everyone through that act (as opposed to Harry's weird flop from Hagrid's arms).

I'd have preferred Nagini being offed sooner, rather than the drawn-out "chase" scene they added.

2) Harry letting Voldy know that Snape was Dumbledore's man all along. IIRC, in the movie, Voldy died without knowing/hearing that Snape had deceived him and bettered him all along. I wish we'd seen that glimmer of realization before he was confettied (what WAS it with all the bad guys being puffed into black confetti when they were killed?).

I actually can't remember HOW Voldy died (I was busy trying to pre-determine if I needed to cover my youngest's eyes for that scene, so I sort of missed comprehending it at 2 am, lol) It was different than the book, right? Because last I looked at the screen, Harry had both wands - - so did Harry Avada Kedavra him in the end?

Overall, we LOVED it. The scenes with Snape's memories... oh my gosh. Tore my heart out. :sad: The awkward hug between Voldy & Draco was hilarious (I'm thinking that was Voldy's first hug... ever... which was sad.)

The kids thought that happy/jubilant/victorious Voldy was waaaay scarier than "scary" Voldy. :blink:

Things I missed:

1) Neville's Big Moment. I know he had "other" big moments, but I LOVED how, in the book, Harry told Neville what to do. In the end, Ron & Hermione were completely spent... and it was Neville who had that last little bit of oomph, did what needed doing, and revitalized everyone through that act (as opposed to Harry's weird flop from Hagrid's arms).

I'd have preferred Nagini being offed sooner, rather than the drawn-out "chase" scene they added.

2) Harry letting Voldy know that Snape was Dumbledore's man all along. IIRC, in the movie, Voldy died without knowing/hearing that Snape had deceived him and bettered him all along. I wish we'd seen that glimmer of realization before he was confettied (what WAS it with all the bad guys being puffed into black confetti when they were killed?).

I actually can't remember HOW Voldy died (I was busy trying to pre-determine if I needed to cover my youngest's eyes for that scene, so I sort of missed comprehending it at 2 am, lol) It was different than the book, right? Because last I looked at the screen, Harry had both wands - - so did Harry Avada Kedavra him in the end?

No, that part was like in the book--Voldemort used Avada Kedavara (the green light from his wand), Harry used expelliarmus (the red light; that's why the Elder Wand flew from Voldemort to him), and Voldemort's spell rebounded and killed him (the green light moved backwards, looking kind of like a shield, and then traveled up the elder wand to his hand). Both spells were nonverbal, though, so if you didn't know what to look for it would've been hard to get it from the scene. The whole setting of the final confrontation was different, though, and I thought it lost a lot of its power without the verbal confrontation. Voldemort lost physically, but he died not knowing how deeply he was truly defeated--that the elder wand was Harry's, that Snape true allegiance was to Dumbeldore and the order (and we also miss out on Snape's redemption in the eyes of the others), and that Harry's sacrifice had made him impotent to harm the Hogwarts defenders.