Menu

Is there a spelling programs like AAS but ALOT more independent?

Mamabug

I am expecting a baby in September and I am looking for independent spelling suggestions for a 4th and 6th grader. I like AAS's approach but it is killing me to teach it to 3 kiddos without an infant around. I have tried combining them but the "goof off" rate shoots up.

I have not figured out a way to make AAS more independent.

Thanks!

Kimberly

Actually I'd be really interested in this as well, as we rarely make time to do AAS, because it's so lengthy. And when we do use it, we've started mostly just writing on paper and not using the magnets or white board. Also, I NEVER review the older cards anymore. I just realized I'm doing it halfway, though of this is because she doesn't seem to be struggling with any of the spelling words yet, since we've only made it halfway through Level 2 (she is 8).

Ssshhhhh... My confession: I don't use the tiles or the memory cards. I just review past rules in the book and do the spelling orally or written. Don't tell anyone though. I have a feeling it might be sacriligious on this board. (Also keeps costs down just buying the teacher's manual.) This year I'm going to review with spelling city.

Ssshhhhh... My confession: I don't use the tiles or the memory cards. I just review past rules in the book and do the spelling orally or written.

oh thank goodness, I thought I was alone. The letter tiles keep the 2 y.o. happy while big brother is working though :lol:

I've given thought to incorporating spellingcity to make it more independent. When dd was in a different spelling program, I had her enter the words herself (copying from list), and then she could play games and test on them without me. (It says the words aloud.)

Since AAS's strength is building the words, not copying, I'd still have to stand over her, I guess. Maybe build with tiles together while feeding the baby, then hand her the green cards to enter them into the computer on spellingcity?

You could look at HTTS (How to Teach Spelling). It's similar to AAS in the rules/phonograms taught (it's O-G based). It doesn't quite go into all the spelling strategies, so if you have super struggling spellers, it might be better to stick it out with AAS, but HTTS does have a workbook that you can use. It's not independent, but it has some independent work to it. Then you just have to call out some words and dictation sentences, which you could easily do while holding/feeding/rocking/walking baby. :D

Oh, and I also don't use the tiles for AAS except to teach new concepts. Everything else is just written on the white board. I don't use the word cards either. The dictation has been plenty of review for us. YMMV, of course. DS1 has a really good memory for rules and such... way better than mine. :tongue_smilie:

Actually I'd be really interested in this as well, as we rarely make time to do AAS, because it's so lengthy. And when we do use it, we've started mostly just writing on paper and not using the magnets or white board. Also, I NEVER review the older cards anymore. I just realized I'm doing it halfway, though of this is because she doesn't seem to be struggling with any of the spelling words yet, since we've only made it halfway through Level 2 (she is 8).

:iagree:I said the same thing to my husband the other day, "I love it, sort of, I only wish it could be done more independently by the student." Grrrr.

We don't always use the tiles. We really only ever use the tiles to teach the new concept, never to actually spell the words. And we hardly ever use the review cards, because at this point, I know my student doesn't need them.

I can't imagine using AAS with three students on different levels. How do you manage? :001_huh:

Uh, manage? I just stopped and we've occasionally gotten to it. I realized I had been procrastinating on it and pushing it to the bottom of the list. It took me a bit to figure out why. We had already stopped using the tiles and just had been writing on a white board.

Thanks for the link, Jen.

Kimberly

• 1 month later...

I have also tried All About Spelling with my girls, but we found with both kids needing help with something or other during the day, that it made our school days very long. My girls are almost three years apart so they also were in different levels. We ended up switching to Simply Spelling. It is almost all independent. And I have found that my girls actually remember the words they learned through dication. The plus was that it was really cheap like $10 for 3rd-12th grades. I can't complain so far.:D

AL

Here's what I wish existed:

something like AAS that teaches the spelling rules very clearly

is open and go

is systematic

has review

and forgive me, is pretty. Sorry, I know it is ridiculous.

I'm OK with doing 10-15 min. of 1:1 instruction for this child who really needs it. But 10 min. is better than 15.

Does not have:

a hundred little pieces of things

I think it's the piles of cards and pieces floating around (and getting chewed on) that scares me. And several folks mentioning the challenge of doing it with more than one dc.

When I hear people share about using AAS with only the manual and not all the discreet pieces, I feel a little encouraged.

Anybody else just mainly use the manual for AAS?

I think it's the piles of cards and pieces floating around (and getting chewed on) that scares me.

LOL, I don't find that the cards float around at all! Mom almost always is the one holding the cards & I just put them back in the box & put the lid on--it's up & out of the way!

Merry :-)

We started using just the manual sometime mid-way or near the end of level 3. The tiles were fantastic when we started out. I still use them in teaching my younger children phonics, and will be using them again for spelling.

I found that I could review using the manual. I would mix up the words, and have pencil marks beside the ones that needed extra review.

The problem with an open and go program would be the lack of dictation. I can't be sure, but I really think the greatest gains my 4th grader has made in spelling have been through dictation. I still do dictation with him, even though he's using a more independent program this year.

I'll soon have DS#1 in Level 5, DS#2 in Level 3, and DD#1 in Level 1. I've decided that even though AAS is teacher intensive it's worth it - even if it takes awhile to get through all the levels. DS#1 is a very natural speller, DS#2 needs a bit more instruction. My plan is to have presentation of the spelling rules on Monday with them writing the ten words. Then on Tuesday, Wednesday, and Friday do two dictation sentences per day. If they don't do all the dictation sentences I'm not going to worry about it. I was thinking about having them dictate sentences to each other (they are excellent readers). I'll have to give the most attention to my beginning reader/speller and will plan 20 minutes per day with her.

I (and my older two kids) LOVED AAS! It was just what my spelling test phobic kiddos needed a few years ago when we started it. They really are pretty strong spellers in their own right, but AAS was great. Unfortunately, because I have 4 kiddos and one now entering in Logic stage (plus picking up another part time job) I had to give it up. It really is the time factor.

I don't think you can take the interaction out of AAS and have it be the same program. I think that's one of the things that makes it great! I went to Spelling Workout for all my kids as well as Spelling City. I don't necessarily like that, but something had to give. I just sold my last two levels... :( (Is that weird to be in mourning over a curriculum???)

We mostly used the manual. We did use the tiles to demonstrate the new teaching, but then we would go straight to paper. I never had him spell with tiles.

Ditto. We pretty much never use the tiles. We discuss the new 'rule' in the lesson and if he doesn't seem to get it, we might use them, but it hasn't been an issue yet. (We are almost done with Level 1)

To make it more independent for my 3rd grader...I use it like Phonetic zoo. I bought an MP3 Recorder and create the lessons on MP3 and put them on my iPod. Then he works on his lists for AAS by himself and can go on to the next level when he has 2 100% lists in a row, like in Phonetic zoo. This allows me more time to work with my 1st grader. I haven't decided if when he finishes AAS 3 if we'll jump to Phonetic zoo or if we'll continue to do AAS by making it like Phonetic Zoo.

I know that SpellingCity has some popular spelling programs that comes along with their premium memberships. I upgraded this past year and have been using sequential spelling lists from there!

Do you know if they have SWR lists? Was it worth it to upgrade? I need to go check it out and see what exactly is included in the premium membership.

Thanks,

Sandy

Would I be able to just buy the teachers book and make up letter tiles and phonogram flashcards? From what I can see the student pack is four sets of flash cards, which I can easily make on index cards, and the tiles can be made as well. They won't be as pretty, but they will work. Actually I may have some magnet letter tiles around here somewhere...I would love to do AAS, but don't have the $65 to buy everything right now. I could though, get the TM for $17. Would someone who has never done AAS be able to do that?

Would I be able to just buy the teachers book and make up letter tiles and phonogram flashcards? From what I can see the student pack is four sets of flash cards, which I can easily make on index cards, and the tiles can be made as well. They won't be as pretty, but they will work. Actually I may have some magnet letter tiles around here somewhere...I would love to do AAS, but don't have the $65 to buy everything right now. I could though, get the TM for $17. Would someone who has never done AAS be able to do that?

If you have a laminator or a friend who does, you can make them very cheaply. The magnets cost me one dollar at wal mart, then the cost of a few laminator sheets. Total cost under three dollars. You can find the printables at mama jenn's blog.

http://mama-jenn.blogspot.com/search/label/Spelling

Look for the phonogram tiles.

I only bought and use the teacher's manual. Doodle uses a white board to spell his words. He has magnetic letters that he will use occasionally. As for the rules, I simply list them on a large index card as they appear in the lessons. That card acts as my bookmark, so it is always handy when we review.

I only bought and use the teacher's manual. Doodle uses a white board to spell his words. He has magnetic letters that he will use occasionally. As for the rules, I simply list them on a large index card as they appear in the lessons. That card acts as my bookmark, so it is always handy when we review.

This is such a simple, yet great idea! Why didn't I think of this before I spent all that money on the magnets that we don't even use.

I just thought I'd throw this in... my 7 and 9yo are starting level 1 and they LOVE the 1 on 1 time. They love the manipulative magnets. Those two things were the parts I disliked about AAS but it is turning out to be what makes spelling our favorite part of our day!

• 6 months later...

I am confessing in this thread-I read up on AAS and bought it. It's sat on the shelf because I have a toddler and I don't want to deal with multitasking and gluing the tiles onto magnets and getting a magnetic whiteboard and, yeah. I love the concepts. They just don't fit in my life! I will check out R&S and Phonetic Zoo!

Oh my goodness. I totally thought it was supposed to be spelled alot... lol I will be writing/typing this correctly from now on so that you don't have to picture that alot creature :lol:

I remember being corrected on a writing assignment by my 6th grade English teacher on the spelling of "a lot". I've never forgotten it and I don't know why it stuck. I can't remember prepositions to save my life! I'm glad something stuck! :)

I half-seriously asked my oldest if he could just take the manual and teach himself the lesson on Monday after a long day and I'd already done two lessons with sisters. I still find it worth it. I don't review cards every day, but I do key cards and sound cards the majority of days. Sometimes I gather all the kids together and have a joint card review lightning round, just pointing to a kid who should know the answer according to the level and step number on the card. At least the other two are hearing it even if it's not their turn to answer. If big brother misses I point to a sibling and hope the humiliation of younger sister answering will help him remember (kidding).

I don't know of other programs, but I use the tiles when we introduce the new words. After that my 5yr old writes them on her dry erase board. The tiles do help her though remember how to spell the word.

I know my 8 yr old likes the tiles, but uses them once too. After that its the dry erase board then the paper.

I do use the cards everyday with my 5 yr old. Not so often with my 8yr old.

My options:

1)Not do Spelling during the rough months (can't if that is right at the beginning or more like crawling or toddler times-I am thinking toddler years). Instead I would do it during the summer. (Out of curiosity how much does Preschoolers help entertain toddlers? My memory is failing me. I cannot remember.)

2)Get husband to do it. How many people have had any luck getting husband's to follow curriculum steps?

I cannot fathom doing another spelling program because I am sure this is the best way to go for my kids. Ask me the same question in a decade.