Menu

Do you have OCD?  

1. 1. Do you have OCD?

• No.
    • Yes. I believe I have OCD, but have not had a formal diagnosis of it.
    • Yes. I have a formal diagnosis of OCD.

Do you have OCD? I am not talking about having a few OCD tendencies, but actual OCD?

Without going into details. I have OCD. It is a formal diagnosis. I was wondering if anyone else is dealing with it. And, if you are, would you like to start a social group for support/commiseration?

Edited by Audrey

My dh has OCD (formal diagnosis), but it's been in "remission"--if there is such a thing with OCD--for about 15 years. He had symptoms as a young child, but it was really, really bad during his twenties. He saw a therapist regularly, but never took any medication. We still have to keep an eye on it, and stress exacerbates his symptoms, but it has minimal impact on his life now.

All this to say, there is hope for recovery! :grouphug:

I am getting ready for bed right now but I did want to jump in here and say that yes I do have a formal diagnosis of OCD that manifests in a specific way. I also have general OCD tendencies (aka - Monk) that are more personality quirks than a true disability that interfers with life functioning. I am certainly open to discussing this more and even participating in a support group.

I am getting ready for bed right now but I did want to jump in here and say that yes I do have a formal diagnosis of OCD that manifests in a specific way. I also have general OCD tendencies (aka - Monk) that are more personality quirks than a true disability that interfers with life functioning. I am certainly open to discussing this more and even participating in a support group.

:iagree:

Son and I both formally dx'ed for years.

I have a formal diagnosis of OCD, but it's comorbid with my bipolar 2 and ADD. I do not have physical repetitive compulsions, my OCD is more along the lines of pure-O (without overt compulsions).

I'm not good at the social groups. I find them very confusing. I never did find a way to go straight to new notes.

Last night I read something interesting about ADD and OCD and brain scans in Shadow Syndromes by John Ratey. NIMH studies have shown that those areas of the brain involved in ADD metabolize glucose too slowly whereas those areas of the brain involved in OCD metabolize it too quickly. At this point it's merely an observation but an interesting one.

a year or two ago. Funny how different psychs can come up with completely different dx.

The first one said I had depression, generalized anxiety disorder, OCD, and was borderline ADHD (inattentive type).

When her contract was up, the resident who replaced her in my care said, "I don't think so. I think you're just a worrier." :confused:

I try to laugh this off, but seriously, if you're borderline for any of these things, they become problematic at some point or another!

Edited to add: The second psych also said, "I don't think you're over the death of your mother." (It had been just over a year.)

Do you EVER get over the death of your mother? Really?

I thought he was pretty clueless (or at least useless to me) and I didn't go back. I can tell a difference in my symptoms when I make sure I exercise and make time to get together with friends. The ''avoidance" thing makes me worse.

Edited by BamaTanya

My dh has OCD (formal diagnosis), but it's been in "remission"--if there is such a thing with OCD--for about 15 years. He had symptoms as a young child, but it was really, really bad during his twenties. He saw a therapist regularly, but never took any medication. We still have to keep an eye on it, and stress exacerbates his symptoms, but it has minimal impact on his life now.

This sounds EXACTLY like my brother (who is in his late twenties, but is much, much better than he was a few years ago). He handles it very well most of the time, but he does tend to have a lot of difficulty when he is under stress. His doctor prescribed medication, but my brother didn't like the side effects, so he stopped taking it. He also has Crohn's Disease, and refuses to take medication for that either, other than an acid controller/reducer that he says helps.

I have not been diagnosed. I jokingly say I do for I can't leave the house without checking and rechecking faucets, light switches, stove off, hairdryer and flat iron unplugged. I can go around the house see and feel that everything is off then get to the car and have to run back in to check again. Then sometimes start off down the road and have to turn around and check again. It's so frustrating and makes me want to cry some days for the feeling that something is left on when I know for sure it isn't is not a good one. When my kids are with me they go down the list when I get in the car and say the lights are off, the faucets are off...etc. They don't make fun of me for I have explained how frustrating it is for me.

I have not been diagnosed. I jokingly say I do for I can't leave the house without checking and rechecking faucets, light switches, stove off, hairdryer and flat iron unplugged. I can go around the house see and feel that everything is off then get to the car and have to run back in to check again. Then sometimes start off down the road and have to turn around and check again. It's so frustrating and makes me want to cry some days for the feeling that something is left on when I know for sure it isn't is not a good one. When my kids are with me they go down the list when I get in the car and say the lights are off, the faucets are off...etc. They don't make fun of me for I have explained how frustrating it is for me.

This is symptomatic of OCD - I have at various points in my life been very bad about this. I can sometimes KNOW that something is off, but still HAVE to recheck :tongue_smilie: Stress definitely makes it worse.

I jokingly say I do for I can't leave the house without checking and rechecking faucets, light switches, stove off, hairdryer and flat iron unplugged. I can go around the house see and feel that everything is off then get to the car and have to run back in to check again. Then sometimes start off down the road and have to turn around and check again. It's so frustrating and makes me want to cry some days for the feeling that something is left on when I know for sure it isn't is not a good one. When my kids are with me they go down the list when I get in the car and say the lights are off, the faucets are off...etc. They don't make fun of me for I have explained how frustrating it is for me.

I do the same thing. If I had a nickel for every time I climbed back out of my warm bed to go check again . . .:tongue_smilie:

Dh and the dc help me. (They have their own issues, lol.) Sometimes dh will tell me HE checked already and sometimes the kids will remind me, "Mom, you checked before we came out."

IMHO, these symptoms are pretty benign. I mean, I'm not crazy about it, but I can live with it at this point. It doesn't keep me from getting sleep and I can go places -- it just takes me a little longer. If it gets worse, though, I may head back to the dr.

I have a formal diagnosis of OCD, but it's comorbid with my bipolar 2 and ADD. I do not have physical repetitive compulsions, my OCD is more along the lines of pure-O (without overt compulsions).

I'm not good at the social groups. I find them very confusing. I never did find a way to go straight to new notes.

I also have bi-polar and ADD. My OCD manifest in a more compulsive way. All my medications interact with each other and effect more than just what they were diagnoised for. It is challanging

Edited by KidsHappen

• 1 month later...

I just found this post and wanted to bump it hoping this is followed up in some way. My 15 yr old son has OCD, diagnosed when he was 12. I actually have written pretty extensively about it on my blog if anyone is interested in reading about it.

Here's a link to the OCD page: http://apeacefuldwelling.blogspot.com/p/ocd.html

I'd love to hear from adults with it and how they cope. I think it could help me understand how to help my son.

I do have a few adult friends with OCD; one manages without meds and is a 1st grade teacher, another takes meds and just got his masters degree and is now student-teaching high school History. I have a friend who is a forensic scientist and he said a large percentage of the doctors and scientists he works with have OCD, and they look at it as mostly a bonus since it helps them achieve success. I found that interesting.

Do you have OCD? I am not talking about having a few OCD tendencies, but actual OCD?

Without going into details. I have OCD. It is a formal diagnosis. I was wondering if anyone else is dealing with it. And, if you are, would you like to start a social group for support/commiseration?

Not going into details here either. No diagnosis but boy do I know it... Support group? Bring it on...:D

Yep. I have OCD. I was always a "worrier", but when ds was about three, my dad died, dh was laid off, etc., etc., it exploded into obvious OCD. I've been on Paxil for years now, and it has worked beautifully!

Unfortunately for dh, I also have ADD tendencies, so my OCD does NOT result in a meticulously clean house. :lol: (That was his first response when I said I thought I had OCD: "But you're a terrible housekeeper!")

My son also has a lot of anxiety/OCD along with Asperger's. He and I both seem to have more obsessions than compulsions.

Wendi

IF the glucose part is true, could the GAPs diet help? I had a FB friend who's blogged about how it helps the brain & gut heal from the inside out, and how it's helped her husband, her, her kids... and her foster kids... with all sorts of issues... Just thinkin'. I know a little boy (10) who was diagnosed pretty recently. Of course, his mom reinforces his dependency issues... by calling and talking about how much she misses him and wishes he was home, if he's visiting someone.... :(

Ds has OCD tendencies along with Aspergers, GAD and tic disorder. I am afraid it will eventually become full OCD in the future. His neuro says it is very common with his combination of issues. When I was a child I had tendencies also, along with a few of my brothers, but it never manifested into full OCD in any of us.

I'm just quirky about some things. Reading descriptions by people that really do have OCD I see that a few of the things sound like me but nowhere near as severe. I will lay in bed at night and worry that I forgot to lock the doors. I won't be able to sleep until I've checked them. Especially the garage door for some reason. I know I'm not OCD though because most of it really doesn't relate to me.

I don't know if I would actually be diagnosed if I pursued it. During times of stress/tension, many more OCD-like traits plague me. If I'm generally pretty happy with my life, there are only a few.

If I'm stressed, my need for order with physical objects is excessive. I also have many fears that are out of proportion to actual risk. At different times, I have worried excessively that my child will be hit by a car backing out in a parking lot, my dh will crash his airplane, a tree limb will fall on the car windshield as I'm driving out the driveway, I would lock my kids in the car accidentally, that my kids would die in their sleep or a few other terrors. :glare: I'm pretty happy right now, though, so the only thing I'm ruminating about right now is the dead trees beside the driveway.

I started a social group. It is simply called OCD support. Forgive my attempt at humour in the group icon. :001_smile:

The group is set to 'moderated' in order to avoid spamming. You will need to request to join in order to post. I will get to approving them ASAP.

ETA: I will try to send invites to those who posted here. Give me a few minutes....

Okay, I have sent invites to those who posted in the thread indicating their interest. If I have missed you, please make a join request at the group.

Edited by Audrey

I don't know if I would actually be diagnosed if I pursued it. During times of stress/tension, many more OCD-like traits plague me. If I'm generally pretty happy with my life, there are only a few.

If I'm stressed, my need for order with physical objects is excessive. I also have many fears that are out of proportion to actual risk. At different times, I have worried excessively that my child will be hit by a car backing out in a parking lot, my dh will crash his airplane, a tree limb will fall on the car windshield as I'm driving out the driveway, I would lock my kids in the car accidentally, that my kids would die in their sleep or a few other terrors. :glare: I'm pretty happy right now, though, so the only thing I'm ruminating about right now is the dead trees beside the driveway.

I am very "particular" about the order and manner of some things...and I have those fears out of proportion to risk too...along with the images that sometimes come with them. This was SO disturbing to me for the longest time until a dr finally explained to me it was part of the "obsession" aspect - images and fears I couldn't stop. Stress definitely exacerbates it.

I am very "particular" about the order and manner of some things...and I have those fears out of proportion to risk too...along with the images that sometimes come with them. This was SO disturbing to me for the longest time until a dr finally explained to me it was part of the "obsession" aspect - images and fears I couldn't stop. Stress definitely exacerbates it.

It can really eat up my brain sometimes. :tongue_smilie:

A couple of years ago, my dd was going to spend a week at my SIL's far in NC. My BIL (who is a private pilot) was flying his kids down and offered to take my daughter, too. I could not get past the fear that the plane will go down with my dd. My BIL could not believe it. My dh is a pilot, too, so it's not like I don't have the threat of a crash in my life ordinarily. He said, "You'd seriously rather drive six hours down and six hours back over putting K on a plane for an hour?" I felt like a real a$$, but I couldn't stop thinking, "Yes, but, if they crash, I will never forgive myself."

A couple of years ago, my dd was going to spend a week at my SIL's far in NC. My BIL (who is a private pilot) was flying his kids down and offered to take my daughter, too. I could not get past the fear that the plane will go down with my dd. My BIL could not believe it. My dh is a pilot, too, so it's not like I don't have the threat of a crash in my life ordinarily. He said, "You'd seriously rather drive six hours down and six hours back over putting K on a plane for an hour?" I felt like a real a$$, but I couldn't stop thinking, "Yes, but, if they crash, I will never forgive myself."

I can completely relate...so nice to be among like minded friends :D

a year or two ago. Funny how different psychs can come up with completely different dx.

The first one said I had depression, generalized anxiety disorder, OCD, and was borderline ADHD (inattentive type).

When her contract was up, the resident who replaced her in my care said, "I don't think so. I think you're just a worrier." :confused:

I try to laugh this off, but seriously, if you're borderline for any of these things, they become problematic at some point or another!

Edited to add: The second psych also said, "I don't think you're over the death of your mother." (It had been just over a year.)

Do you EVER get over the death of your mother? Really?

I thought he was pretty clueless (or at least useless to me) and I didn't go back. I can tell a difference in my symptoms when I make sure I exercise and make time to get together with friends. The ''avoidance" thing makes me worse.

FWIW, I believe that undiagnosed ADD can lead to depression and anxiety. (And can also result in behaviours that look like OCD but are actually coping mechanisms for the ADD).

My dad was an airforce pilot, and then a commercial international captain. He would have been very reluctant to put his kids on a private plane unless he had personally flown with the pilot and knew the pilot very well. While I can see that your choice could be seen as obsessive, it could also be a rational choice depending on the circumstances. I don't know anyone other than my dad that I would send my kids up in a private plane with.