Menu

Features of a dream home

My husband and I are starting to talk to an architect about building a house in the next few years. I am curious what home school features others would like in a new home: what do you wish you had and what do you currently have that you find essential? A dedicated room for HS? How much room do you need for your book shelves? A desk for each child or do you prefer to work at a big table? What about natural light?

Lydia

I would like to have a huge cooking island (with at least six burners) that looked out onto a common area. It would have room to do some food prep and could accommodate seating around it so culinary work and school work could happen concurrently.

Bill

A double oven has been one of the best things ever. Also an on-demand water heater. If I had to do it all again, built-in bookshelves would top my list.

Bedrooms, large utility room and main living on the same floor. School room, family room large enough for a couple of different game tables, sitting room, kitchen with large pantry but upper cupboards only on each side of the stove, no more. Counter tops that are indestructible.:lol:

An in-ground pool that could be used year round. :001_smile:

I would like a year round sun room (perfect for school also)

I'm not a fan of a "school" room-reminds me to much of a regular school.

Amazing kitchen

A library room would be nice (full of built in bookshelves, not Ikea, but the really nice ones that an amazing carpenter type person creates)

I love the idea of a formal library room, a large island just like Spy Car suggested, and then I want a room off the main living space that can alternate as playroom and school room basically I want my kids near by to play and not upstairs in their rooms ect. and if it could double as a school room when I need it that would be great! Oh and laundry on the same floor as all the bedrooms!

I would like to have a huge cooking island (with at least six burners) that looked out onto a common area. It would have room to do some food prep and could accommodate seating around it so culinary work and school work could happen concurrently.

Bill

:iagree::iagree::iagree::iagree::iagree::iagree::iagree:

No separate room. It isn't conducive to school as life and life as learning. ;)

Lots of shelves for books but more than just in the common area as if you don't put them in every room, like bedrooms and the kitchen, then you'll always have 100 books lying around to be picked up.

Laundry room near the bedrooms because an efficient mom is a happy mom and a happy mom can focus on homeschooling, lol.

A hobby room just off the main area. Homeschoolers have hobbies. They must have an area with a flat table area to work at and shelves on which to put supplies.

As much natural light as you possibly can fit into any area. I think it's VITAL. (Living in Oregon has pounded this into my head.) In those dreary winter months after the holidays, when homeschooling is really beginning to wear on you, SUN is vital.

A place to hide your wall attached, heavy duty pencil sharpener at kid height. No kidding.

I dream about having a room I like to call the. "Home command center". It's not the same as a home office, here those tend to be formal, just off the entry with wood paneling and way too nice for what I am talking about (although I would keep that room for the library ;). This would be a place for mom to run the house: pay bills, keep paperwork, have a claendar accesible for everyone, deal with mail -sending & receiving, wrap packages, post invitations and other reminders, etc. Etc. I would also like for it tto be near but not the same as the laundry room as well as have an entrance with" lockers and bench for shoes, sports bags, etc.

A luandry room near the bedrooms. I had a friend that had a laundry room connected to her walk-in master closet. I love my built in ironing board wn a plug in the cabinet in the bathroom for quick pressing when getting dressed.

I would also seriously consider a home sprinkler system if I build again. With 3 out of 5 in our family with hearing loss and DH with severe sleep apnea, smoke detectors don't reliably wake us up. I am working on getting visual/tactile alarms but the sprinklers were recommended to me by a fire safety expert and would be an added layer of protection.

(Sorry for the many typos, posting from my phone.)

I just sketched out my dream home and there is nothing specifically for homeschooling in it. Possibly because I don't anticipate being able to build it while still having dc homeschooling! :D The house has a large living area and we would probably have shelves all around to hold everything.

In my dream home, our main living area would be a library. A bright, cheery library with lots of natural light (perhaps skylights to make sure wall space would be available for shelves). The shelves would be up to the ceiling & would have a second set of shelves on tracks to move back & forth in front of the shelves mounted to the wall. There would also be a projector mounted on the ceiling and then a screen that we can lower to watch movies, etc.. This way a tv doesn't take up valuable wall space.

A closet for the computer router, house alarm, anything else related.

The staircase(s) would have built in book nooks, like this.

There would be a large laundry room with room for a clothesline and a folding table, as well as space to put out an ironing board, yet have a place to store the ironing board away.

There would be a "drive up window" to unload groceries. We had this at the house I grew up in - the driveway went past a basement window, so my dad would park the car outside the window & we would pass the groceries into the basement, which is where the pantry was located.

Edited by TechWife

I've had a separate school room before. I prefer working in our main living area.

My dream home is my current home- a 1-story, open concept family room/kitchen area, 4 bedrooms, 21/2 bath, on a private 1-acre wooded lot in town. The only thing I would change is I'd make it paid off.

Drains in the kitchen, bathroom, and bathroom floors.

Baseboard vacuum system.

Laundry room that is large enough for the washer, dryer, a folding table which is counter height, hanging bar, soaking sink, and clothes line. This should be closer to the master bedroom.

A mud room.

A walk-in pantry.

Room in the kitchen for a deep freeze.

Huge jacuzzi tub in the master bath.

Master shower with full body sprayers, large enough for two.

Screened in porch in the back.

Basement with a safe-room that'll endure tornadoes.

NO CARPET ANYWHERE!

As I was switching out our winter coats/shoes from the closets today, I realized I would love to have a second coat closet that is just for out of season clothes and shoes and small gear like helmets/gloves. I hate to put leather and the helmets in the attic (temperature extremes) so it would be nice to have an indoor area to store them.

I dream of upstairs laundry with capacity for 2 washers and dryers.

Large kitchen with island that over looks a schoolroom that is a few steps down so I can see everything from my island. I want the school room to have one huge window wall with bookshelves above them with a rolling ladder. and under the windows a reading nook and lower bookshelves for the little kids books. I would also love the upstairs all open so that the lower floors are tall and I can look up and see who is running from room to room...

OR I would just build the Duggars house :lol:

We've already got two houseplans picked out (one a little smaller, one a little bigger, pending space needs and/or how much money we're willing to spend) for the eventual future build (what can I say... we like planning in advance, lol). For us the big important things:

* office space on first floor for DH

* Large living area/ great room

* Some type of keeping/living room directly off the kitchen to use as a dedicated school room. Customized built ins (one big wall of floor to ceiling bookcases/cupboards for storage)

* Large laundry/utility room right off/very close to kitchen area

* Good sized kitchen (double ovens a must) that is open enough that living room and school room can both be seen from it - so that I can potentially have littles playing/napping in the living room and olders doing school work and be able to keep an eye on both while working in the kitchen/ doing laundry etc...)

* lots of food storage area (walk in pantry etc)

* playroom for the kids

* all kid rooms on the same floor

* 5 bedrooms with 3.5-4 bathrooms

* dining room large enough to fit a table that seats at least 10.

* on at least 10 acres

ETA:

Oooh... hot tub... I forgot about that. DH would really like pool as well.

Edited by theAmbitiousHousewife

dh would like a garage--we've never had one. and he wants a work room for all his power tools and projects (I think he'd also like a feature that gives him extra time to work on these projects)

I'd like second kitchen/bar area in a rec room. Not only is it great for guests, but it can be made into a great art or science area for school.

I'd like an inlaw/au pair suite, so that may son with disabilities could have his own "apartment" when he grows up and have the feeling of independent adulthood.

I'd like an inlaw/au pair suite, so that may son with disabilities could have his own "apartment" when he grows up and have the feeling of independent adulthood.

We designed our dream home but ended up not being able to build it right now. Our dream home did have a small efficiency apartment in the lower level for one of our kids in the future (all have various levels of special needs).

I would think handicapped accessible main floor level with at least 1 main floor bedroom (or room that could be a bedroom if needed) with wider hallways, larger doorways and a bathroom that will allow a wheelchair/walker in with higher toilet and grab bars. Even if you aren't disabled now, you might be in the future---even if it is just a broken leg. It also allows you to open up your home to other families with a disabled family member and/or the elderly.

A mud room would be near the top of my list as well. We have a small horse/hobby farm so we need lots of boots, jackets, etc.

Ideally I would love to have a hot tub on a private deck (or deck with privacy screen) off the master bedroom. I think dh and I would use it almost daily and I don't want to walk far in the winter :-)

I would love the master bedroom to have a huge walk in shower with dual shower heads. Showering with dh conserves water you know:D

Kitchen near the back door for ease of carrying groceries.

A walk-in homeschool "pantry" would be great for storing stuff. I would love a 3 car garage and a big laundry room near the bedrooms, where the clothes are. Bigger rooms for the kids and tons of cabinets everywhere to hide stuff away. Those old fashioned ranch style homes with the hallway lined with built in cabinets are fabulous. Oh, and lots of windows overlooking beautiful gardens which, of course are maintained by a full-time gardner.:lol: But, back to reality, I wish we had paid attention to how the electrical and plumbing was laid out in the attic. We have a maze of wires and pipes which makes it difficult to utilize that space for storage. Another mistake was having the garage open into the laundry room. We've had guests traipsing through our tiny laundry room to get into the house--it's uncomfortable. I love having tall ceilings, a foyer, and a family room overlooking the backyard. Congratulations on the new home.

I want a mudroom off the back door with a small shower stall (I saw one that was advertised as a dog shower, but it'd be perfect). I'm so tired of dirt/grass/sand being tracked through the house. The boys could spray off their feet before going through the house.

Oooh, I'll play :001_smile:

*PLENTY of storage, in and out of the bedrooms

*lots of windows, preferable with a great view

*induction stove

*solar tubes for extra natural light

*solar panels out of sight from most views

*a great, paved outdoor living area

*at least one extra room, above what I think we need. Flex/bonus room, whatever you want to call it. There's always a room you wish you had later...

*a large, convenient laundry area (I would love TWO -- one near the kitchen, one near the bedrooms)

*designed to be easy to clean (non-fussy surfaces, cleaning closets easily accessible, etc)

*a good sized garden area. Raised beds would be fantastic

*large garage for sports and toy storage

*high ceilings, but not crazy high

*a lovely, easy to work in kitchen. Doesn't have to be huge, but needs plenty of pantry space and be spacious enough for several people to work in without feeling cramped. Maybe soapstone counters, not sure

*a real foyer, with room for dirty shoes and wet umbrellas. This should apply to the main formal entrance, and whatever entrance the family will use regularly

*hardwood floors in most areas. Cork would be lovely in the kitchen

*an open shower, to avoid most of the tile cleaning

*where there is tile: thin grout lines! And medium-toned grout

*a deep soaking tub in the master suite

I don't think I'll ever get to build a dream house, but it's sure fun to think about. I hope you love yours!

Edited by Kebo

I have many versions of my dream home. For my many dream lives.

Right now, I'd like an old home with enough character to be both beautiful and homey, and enough new effecient features to function with ease.

brick exterior (recently tuckpointed by someone else!)

full finished basement that doesn't leak when it rains

triple-paned thermal fiberglass windows with low-e gas

geothermal heat/cooling

whole-house fan

good cross-ventilation

big old trees

sidewalks

neighborhood plotted and built up in the late 1800's to early 1900's

whole house vacuum with baseboard kickplate in each room

wood floors or tile floors (no carpet)

tons of built in bookshelves

lots of natural light

room for a garden and clothesline in the back yard

bow window in living room and/or dining room

large staircase to second floor

lots of wood detailing

I have actually been to the Not So Big Showhouse in Orlando FL. It was amazing, but it appraised/cost $1.8M, although the builder was selling it for only $999,000.

I live in FL, and basements aren't an option here because of the high water table. Building in coastal FL has some unique challenges. For example, instead of wood floors, bamboo would prove a better choice in the face of water damage from hurricanes, which ruins typical wood floors. Plus, bamboo is a sustainable resource.

I love the idea of a separate apartment for a disabled relative to live in.

Thanks for all the ideas!

Edited by LydiaG

We've already got two houseplans picked out (one a little smaller, one a little bigger, pending space needs and/or how much money we're willing to spend) for the eventual future build (what can I say... we like planning in advance, lol). For us the big important things:

* office space on first floor for DH

* Large living area/ great room

* Some type of keeping/living room directly off the kitchen to use as a dedicated school room. Customized built ins (one big wall of floor to ceiling bookcases/cupboards for storage)

* Large laundry/utility room right off/very close to kitchen area

* Good sized kitchen (double ovens a must) that is open enough that living room and school room can both be seen from it - so that I can potentially have littles playing/napping in the living room and olders doing school work and be able to keep an eye on both while working in the kitchen/ doing laundry etc...)

* lots of food storage area (walk in pantry etc)

* playroom for the kids

* all kid rooms on the same floor

* 5 bedrooms with 3.5-4 bathrooms

* dining room large enough to fit a table that seats at least 10.

* on at least 10 acres

ETA:

Oooh... hot tub... I forgot about that. DH would really like pool as well.

This is exactly what we'd want! ( Um, would you be willing to share the houseplans you've picked out?)

LydiaG - congratulations :D

I have Swedish friends who built a beautiful "room" in their backyard, accessed by a deck extension. It is like a glass and wood house, but just one room. It's very rustic but filled with light--they furnished it with wide couches, some small tables/chairs, a desk, a chaise,...Oh my, I'd want one of those on my dream property!

My four "must haves" for my dream house would be:

1) large breakfast nook type area with built in bookshelves and space for a table that could seat 12

2) library with floor-to-ceiling book shelves, large comfy chairs and sofas, fireplace, large table at one end, and a door that closes

3) master bedroom (with bath) with a door that locks and a short hallway leading to it to help keep noise from drifting in there

4) shed out back to use as my office - with heat, windows that open (so a/c needed as long as the shed is in the shade), electricity, internet, and room for a desk and love seat

Everything else, for me, is "it would be nice, but I can live without." Dh would love to have such a place in the city, but I don't really care (although, I don't know where I'd put the shed :001_smile:)