Menu

Once upon a time, in a far off kingdom....

There was a message board.

Now this message board attracted humble folk of every shape and size, every stripe and dot, every ideology and every theology.

In general all the humble folk got on quite well, despite their differentness. Some especially bright ones even thought that it was a better place because of their differentness. Because they were all different, they sometimes disagreed on certain things, rather vehemently. But for the most part things went along swimmingly in the land.

But one year the humble board folk found themselves facing a bit of a dilemma, for a New Grand Inquisitor was about to be elected. Now there was no way that everyone would or could agree about who the Grand Inquisitor should be. So despite the fact that Boardville was usually a nice place to visit, it became somewhat unpleasant as the Day of Elections drew near.

The message board was owned and run by a benevolent, patient, and long suffering group of folks who preferred nothing better than to study and to write books. How could they have time for studying and the writing of books if they were constantly breaking up not-so-humble fights? As the Day of Elections got closer they began to think that if the citizens of Boardville were going to do nothing but bicker and fight, perhaps the whole of Boardville should be closed.

There'd be no "teacher's lounge" for the usually humble folk who loved to go and gad about.

There'd be no asking for ideas about child rearing, no recipes for crock pot oatmeal, no sharing of pictures, nor news of pregnancies. Each would have to sit in his own little house and think fondly of the days when Boardville was open to one and all.

Some of you may be old enough in board years to remember those days.

Some of you may recall how sad it was when you just wanted to ask your friends which grammar is better for ds10, but alas you could not.

Some of you may recall a dilemma that you faced, but couldn't ask your fellow Boardees what they'd do.

Dear friends, and fellow visitors to Boardville, it is only May.

Election Day is in November.

November.

As in.....June, July, August, September, October, NOVEMBER!

Please, please, let's just do our campaigning elsewhere.

:iagree:, FWIW

I don't mind the odd political scrap, or the odd religious disputation. But it seems to me that the rhetorical temperature of some threads has been very high. I'll grant that I'm new here, but I've been inclined to stay out of most of them -- and I'm not known (online or off) as one inclined to hold my tongue (fingers) in check.

I had hoped to distract, dissuade, bring minds around to other topics. I wanted to uplift, divert, focus on the praise worthy aspects of our children and ourselves. But, I'm just me. And, here we are again. :glare:

Great little tale, *anj*. I'd like a happy ending please. We share-the-love goofheads love happy endings. ;)

Oh, if i only had more rep to give out this evening! I loved your post, and since just wasting about 2 hours of my time on that other thread with lots of people who i very much respect ,and one possible troll..well..I'm done...but, I'm going to a land far far away on Friday anyway...a land where we have no internet access..so it will be easy to abstain from those contentious threads since well, for 3 1/2 months i will be without all of you...so there will be no asking for recipes or asking about R&S grammar or Prima Latina...I'll have to make it on my own...I sure hope you all will be here when I return!

Jenny

Oh, if i only had more rep to give out this evening! I loved your post, and since just wasting about 2 hours of my time on that other thread with lots of people who i very much respect ,and one possible troll..well..I'm done...but, I'm going to a land far far away on Friday anyway...a land where we have no internet access..so it will be easy to abstain from those contentious threads since well, for 3 1/2 months i will be without all of you...so there will be no asking for recipes or asking about R&S grammar or Prima Latina...I'll have to make it on my own...I sure hope you all will be here when I return!

Jenny

Well, we'll try not to put beans up our noses or burn the place down while you're gone. Enjoy!

I loved the story! I have a question though since I have only been posting since the board format changed. I only occasionally read it before then. Is it true that politics were once banned as a topic on these boards?

Yes.

And one time the political conversations could not be stopped.

So one day the general board was gone.

Poof.

Like your worst nightmare. I'd personally just had a house fire and I was counting on the board being there to pick out paint colors and new flooring and appliances. I had to make my own decisions.

I never want that to happen again.

But now we are allowed to talk politics, if we are bad the thread gets locked.

Hey, I"m just waiting for more prom pictures!

Didn't the good citizens of Boardville go to their proms? :001_smile:

Alas, this citizen went, but the pictures seem to be lost to posterity...or her mother's "photo drawer."

I found a couple of high school pictures though...but there's no thread for that... coffeebreak.gif

Aw. That's sweet.

Just one thing. In this said kingdom...I'm sure they aren't anarchists. Can you provide me with a quick link to the general political leanings of these so called benevolent rulers....

:D

Oh my. Can anyone tell me what my kids have been doing for the past few hours? ;)

I misread the word "prom" in that post. :blink:

For a moment, I thought I had logged into the wrong Forum. :eek:

I'm glad I was wrong. :blushing:

Er... no. I wasn't allowed to go to the prom. I even got asked, by my now husband, to our senior prom. Do you know how long he worked up the courage to ask me? Yipes! But I had to turn him down.

Yipes! ??

I've never heard that workd used before except by my Kate. I often think I should correct her to Yikes!, but it sounds so cute when she says it that I just can't. Here I thought she was the originator.

Great minds, I imagine, thinking alike.

:D

My littlest made up a word for sour-ish tasting food when she was two. And we adopted it. She says "pinequey." Or rather, that's how I think you spell it. Pronounced PINE-key. Or PINQUE-y. Long "i" sound.

Reminds me of piquant. And it sure does fit.

I can't remember how long they were down... maybe just a few days. Maybe a week? Apparently it was such a dark time I managed to block it from my memory completely :). Fair warning was giving in advance, though... it's not like it happened all the sudden... we were warned... the definance continued... they followed through on the warning. After that they just started deleting threads, sometimes deleting every single post of the offending poster. Presto - the person disappeared! LOL

I did not go to the prom... no one asked me. :sad:

J-J-J-Jenny, w-w-w-would you go to the prom with m-m-m-me?:lol:

At least now you can say you were asked. Albeit by another woman. Who is married. And no longer in high school. But you have been asked.;)

I can't remember how long they were down... maybe just a few days. Maybe a week? Apparently it was such a dark time I managed to block it from my memory completely :). Fair warning was giving in advance, though... it's not like it happened all the sudden... we were warned... the definance continued... they followed through on the warning. After that they just started deleting threads, sometimes deleting every single post of the offending poster. Presto - the person disappeared! LOL

LOL! I remember that. I had popped in and out of the boards occasionally before that happened, but was not actively reading at the time.

When they shut down though, I heard about it on various email lists. Boy did I! It made news on more than one homeschooling list.

J-J-J-Jenny, w-w-w-would you go to the prom with m-m-m-me?:lol:

At least now you can say you were asked. Albeit by another woman. Who is married. And no longer in high school. But you have been asked.;)

Oh, no... not getting dragged into that other thread again! :lol:

But thanks for asking anyway. :D

Guest Virginia Dawn
I had hoped to distract, dissuade, bring minds around to other topics. I wanted to uplift, divert, focus on the praise worthy aspects of our children and ourselves. But, I'm just me. And, here we are again. :glare:

Great little tale, *anj*. I'd like a happy ending please. We share-the-love goofheads love happy endings. ;)

Hey, I tried too, with my silly mockingbird poem. But it kind of fell flat.

I appreciated your attempt to raise the tone and mood level.

:iagree::iagree::iagree::iagree::iagree:

There was a message board.

Now this message board attracted humble folk of every shape and size, every stripe and dot, every ideology and every theology.

In general all the humble folk got on quite well, despite their differentness. Some especially bright ones even thought that it was a better place because of their differentness. Because they were all different, they sometimes disagreed on certain things, rather vehemently. But for the most part things went along swimmingly in the land.

But one year the humble board folk found themselves facing a bit of a dilemma, for a New Grand Inquisitor was about to be elected. Now there was no way that everyone would or could agree about who the Grand Inquisitor should be. So despite the fact that Boardville was usually a nice place to visit, it became somewhat unpleasant as the Day of Elections drew near.

The message board was owned and run by a benevolent, patient, and long suffering group of folks who preferred nothing better than to study and to write books. How could they have time for studying and the writing of books if they were constantly breaking up not-so-humble fights? As the Day of Elections got closer they began to think that if the citizens of Boardville were going to do nothing but bicker and fight, perhaps the whole of Boardville should be closed.

There'd be no "teacher's lounge" for the usually humble folk who loved to go and gad about.

There'd be no asking for ideas about child rearing, no recipes for crock pot oatmeal, no sharing of pictures, nor news of pregnancies. Each would have to sit in his own little house and think fondly of the days when Boardville was open to one and all.

Some of you may be old enough in board years to remember those days.

Some of you may recall how sad it was when you just wanted to ask your friends which grammar is better for ds10, but alas you could not.

Some of you may recall a dilemma that you faced, but couldn't ask your fellow Boardees what they'd do.

Dear friends, and fellow visitors to Boardville, it is only May.

Election Day is in November.

November.

As in.....June, July, August, September, October, NOVEMBER!

Please, please, let's just do our campaigning elsewhere.

You know I love ya! But it was just a conversation. It was not a bad conversation. It was a political conversation, but I don't believe those are prohibited anymore.

I thought it was lively and there were people on both sides of the political fence that made me want to stand up and cheer. And there were people on both sides of the political fence that needed a manners course.

But in the end it was just a conversation.

I have a suggestion:

Make a sub forum under the General Parenting Forum. Sub Forum: Political and Social Issues. Make this open to members with a minimum of 100 posts to limit trolling.

The forum would provide a place for free exchange of ideas and opinions while keeping the rest of the board for general parenting and non inflammatory topics.

The subforum rules would be: to show respect for the other posters in the thread and to report people who are abusive or trolling by using the "report bad post" button.

Hey, I tried too, with my silly mockingbird poem. But it kind of fell flat.

I appreciated your attempt to raise the tone and mood level.

How'd I miss that?? I just did a search under your name and still didn't find it. Link me, baby! :D

But in the end it was just a conversation.

Yeah, I know that's what it was. This time.

I just started having visions, you know?

Visions of boards in days past that (poof!) disappeared.

And it's just so early in the whole game. So very, very early.

We don't even know who the Democratic nominee will be yet, and we have people (and only certain people, not everyone) getting ugly.

But yes, it looks like it ended up being just a conversation. I'm glad.

And you know I love you too!!! :001_smile:

I think that this is a capital idea. And maybe the reps could be turned off just for that one forum so that people could say what they want in safety. It would be purely about ideas. And it would be in a separate place so that those of us with weak stomachs could just avoid the whole section altogether.

I have a suggestion:

Make a sub forum under the General Parenting Forum. Sub Forum: Political and Social Issues. Make this open to members with a minimum of 100 posts to limit trolling.

The forum would provide a place for free exchange of ideas and opinions while keeping the rest of the board for general parenting and non inflammatory topics.

The subforum rules would be: to show respect for the other posters in the thread and to report people who are abusive or trolling by using the "report bad post" button.

I think that this is a capital idea. And maybe the reps could be turned off just for that one forum so that people could say what they want in safety. It would be purely about ideas. And it would be in a separate place so that those of us with weak stomachs could just avoid the whole section altogether.

Turning off reps for that thread along with turning off the post count. I know for a fact you can turn off post count for a sub forum and I bet you could turn off reps for it also. Good thinking!