Menu

You know, last year, I had a great buying experience on these boards...........

I was going to do Sonlight, 2 levels of American History. I needed at least 2 copies of each book. A poster here was sellilng the High School American History Sonlight Core. She was still using it, but was willing to send parts. I didn't have the whole amount, and she was willing to take payments.

Payments were slower than either of us would have liked. By the time it was over, I wasn't homeschooling anymore. :001_huh: She ended up sending all of it; I ended up paying in full.

We worked together, with respect and kindly. I was grateful. I wish I could have executed that plan.

I've purchased and sold here for years, and have had few problems.

I've always had great experiences, too, both buying and selling. Every once in a while there was a person who was going to send a check who must have just fallen right off the face of the earth (because they never sent it), but that's why I have the 7 day rule. Communication is the key. I love the FS/WTB boards - I've saved a ton on our own curricula and have been able to pass on our old things to others so they can do the same. It's great!

I have been a part of many many sales- I usually get all our stuff used from these boards. Only once, years ago, did I have an issue. The box was sent, but never reached me. Honestly, it was my fault for not buying insurance. Lesson learned!

Other than that, all my experiences have been great. I have even made some nice friendships (we write each other still) that started with a sale. :)

I joined this board so I could buy and sell:D

I've had nothing but great experiences on both ends of the transaction. Bought an entire sonlight core last year. Received it priority mail! Everything neatly wrapped in plastic wrap. Books like new.

That one stands out to me, but I haven't had one deal go bad. That being said, it hardly is worth it to package up, go to the post office and pay for shipping anymore. So I don't really sell stuff now. But its not because of bad experiences.

I've bought from two different people on the board. I'm a horrible buyer because I refuse to use paypal so I have to mail money orders. I also hate going to the post office. So even though I was pleased both times, my sellers may not have been so thrilled.

I have bought from 3 different people on the boards in the last month while preparing for the new school year, and all three went well. The third even was willing to hold the materials for me for an extra week while I worked the kinks out of my budget. I had good experiences last year as well.

I recently sold several items here, and all went well.

Although I said I'd only accept Paypal, I easily agreed to accept a $3 check for one book. As soon as I received the check, I sent the book. We don't get to the bank often, and I kept it for a few weeks before cashing it. I figured no one will write a bad check for just $3, and she had a few positive reviews already.

I had another buyer ask if she could pay MORE for a book, because she didn't think I was charging enough! It was something small, I was happy that someone wanted to use it; she was happy to get it.

Selling online in general has been okay. The post office is a pain in the neck though.

Edited by Kristine out of lurking

I've bought and sold dozens of things over the years and only had two glitches, ever. All my transactions have been very pleasant except one (#2 below).

1) One of the first things I ever sold was a pair of duplicate SOTW volumes. I sent it media mail, the package hadn't arrived after 7-10 days, I gladly refunded the money, and later the post office sent me a scrap of the paper envelope I'd packaged them in with a note about the package being broken open. I was glad that I quickly refunded the money, and I learned a lesson about careful packing (and about buying insurance if the value is high)! The buyer was very gracious about it all, and I handled it generously. So, all was well.

2) I once tried to give away a set of books I was no longer using for postage only. Someone wanted them, but after several email exchanges, I got nervous and decided to give them to someone else (who was less demanding and just made me more comfortable). The original person was very angry with me for giving them to someone else, and obviously was very offended that I was uneasy with transacting with her. I'm sure this person is a reasonable person. . . but, it is hard to know everything about a person from a few internet messages. She was offended that I didn't want to give her the books (and I think she suspected I had decided to take a profit/sale instead, which wasn't the case, but, again, a reasonable suspicion since she didn't know me), and she took it personally and got upset, raising the stress level (a lot!). . .

I learned some more things from this experience. . . mostly to be very clear about pricing from the get go, with no variances: I set a ppd price, require paypal payment, and once I begin correspondence for a sale, I will say something like "If you want this, please paypal me the $xx to XXX@XXXXXXXXXX by noon tomorrow (Tuesday). If it is after noon tomorrow, then message me again before sending payment in case I have sold to another buyer after that time." Noone has ever taken offense to this since I have been very clear from the start.

My keys to multitudes of smooth transactions:

+ It's not a deal until the money is paid. If you're waiting for payment (which I do not do), then you have to make it VERY explicit that "OK, so it's a deal! The check will be in the mail on ____ date."

+ Give clear short time deadlines for communication. I give people about 12-24 hours to reply to a message when negotiating. I am clear about that in my own messages. If it's a hot item with multiple inquiries, I give less than 24 hours to get payment, or I move on.

+

+ Don't use buy/sell/trade posts to make a choice about curriculum. If you have questions about whether it's right for you, go talk to someone on the boards! I am very generous with my time in general on these boards, but I am not going to talk anyone in to buying something from me.

+ Price *all* items including postage, including "free for shipping" items. It is cleaner, clearer, and no room for confusion. Just guess your shipping, round up, and be done with it. Makes for a much quicker transaction, and no worries about calculating exact shipping before finalizing the deal and getting payment.

+ Take paypal. And pay with paypal. I don't do any transactions any other way. Ever.

+ Never ask anyone to pay personal paypal -- it'll rightfully make them uneasy. Just price your stuff 3% higher to make up for the fees.

+ Never pay personal paypal unless you actually know someone or are willing to part with the $$ even if you don't get your stuff. Likewise, don't send a money order or check to anyone. This (and convenience) is why I only use paypal. I have taken and used checks a couple times in the past as a courtesy to someone who wouldn't do paypal (and each time had no problem at all), but I am less and less inclined to do so, and now I always include a "paypal payment only" in my FS posts to avoid the issue.

+ And, sadly, don't try to be too nice. The one time I had an ugly experience was when I was trying to *give* books away! That was the first and last time I did that. Never again. Sad, but it's not worth the stress and trouble. To me, it is not worth the trouble to give things away. I now might do it if I see someone post a WTB or see some specific need in a board post, then I might PM someone and offer to send them sth free, but I won't post a public thread about giving sth away.

I've always had good experiences with actual transactions. Although, I find it frustrating to contact someone on the WTB board and they never bother to respond. I do peruse that board to see if someone needs what I have and I think maybe 1 out of 5 people will actually respond. :glare:

I've bought and sold, ask for personal pp.. ship right away, and send something saying that it is sent (and I mean it!:)) But, if you looked at the feedback I have... as I just did... I only have 2 people that have posted about me. Guess like I don't look like a good risk, but I can see the PO from my house... and have always done a good job... and people have always sent packages to me :) (Well, there was one time, but the person made everything up and I love her :))

Just like a "Christmas in July" post :)

I've generally had only good buying/selling experiences here. I've learned a few things along the way, most of which StephanieZ listed above. To that I'll add: When buying, be extremely specific about the range of conditions you're willing to accept, which editions/printings/etc. you're looking for, and overall condition. Your idea of "good condition" might be lightyears away from someone else's. You have to be annoyingly specific. You can't just say "I prefer blah blah blah", or it conveys that you'll actually accept & purchase anything. Set clear perameters & never assume anything; confirm details that matter to you.

Also, when selling, people should list condition explicitly. If the cover is peeling from the corners of the book, it's an ex-library book, it's dirty, it's spine is smashed on the end(s) & peeling on the outside cover although intact, it's an older edition, it's missing parts, etc., for heaven's sake, please say so (even though "clean, unmarked pages and intact spine" is a technically true description, it presents a mildly deceptive image of the item). Buyers should not have to guess and ask every question under the sun to try to confirm that something is what they think it is, only to find out upon arrival that they didn't think of the one question applicable to that item.

All that to say, this is the one online place where I feel pretty safe & comfortable about transactions.

I have had at least 58 successful transactions here (more if you include those where no feedback was left) - both as the buyer and the seller. I have never had a problem here at all. I have actually only had one issue EVER buying curriculum and even then, a month later, the seller refunded my money of her own accord.

Most people you buy from (especially those with good feeedback) are honest people.

Edited by Tree House Academy

I have also had much success buying and selling here.

There have been times when I have even paid with cash (small purchases.)

Never have I been burned.

I have referred many homeschoolers to the swap boards when they are looking for items.