Menu

Washing coffee pot with soap or without?

My mom is visiting and was helping with the dishes. As she did the coffee pot, she said, "I won't use soap; I'll just rinse." What?! I always use soap when I wash my coffee pot. She said that my dad always insisted on no soap.

So what says the hive? Soap or no?

My mom is visiting and was helping with the dishes. As she did the coffee pot, she said, "I won't use soap; I'll just rinse." What?! I always use soap when I wash my coffee pot. She said that my dad always insisted on no soap.

So what says the hive? Soap or no?

:ack2: Soap, please. But rinse well.

I would think the oils would go rancid over time.

Barb

This is what I thought. I know when dh leaves a coffee cup in his car for long periods accidentally that it can get really disgusting. I've even had to throw some out.

I haven't given it much thought, but I don't use soap in my coffee caraffe (which is stainless steel). I swish it with a long bottle brush and hot water. Sometimes I dilute vinegar in hot water, let it sit, then swish and rinse.

I've never heard of the ice/salt/ soda thing. Sounds good.

I'm also amused that it's a big enough issue like this!!! I never knew there were two camps.

I think don't use soap is a leftover admonition from the days when percolators were common. I know my mother insisted you should never use soap because the metal would absorb it and the coffee would taste like soap. It has nothing to do with today's coffee pots, but the old "rules" die hard.

I drink tea, not coffee, but I never use soap to wash my teapots. It never really occured to me to do so - pretty sure nobody in my family ever has used soap. My husband is a many-cups-a-day coffee drinker; you've got me curious about his pot-washing habits. I just texted him to ask LOL.

I have a glass carafe (drip) & I put all the pieces I can (carafe, lid, reusuable filter, and plastic thing that holds the filter) through the dishwasher.

(My motto is that if something can't go in the dishwasher or washing machine, I don't want to own it anyway. ;):lol:)

Gross. Of course I use soap.

Why is washing a coffee pot different than washing a pot you just cooked in? Or the plate you just ate off of?

About half of the time, if I'm washing immediately after I use it I still don't use soap for a pot or a plate. I wash in hot water, scrub, and set on the counter to dry. I re-use throughout the day or for a few days, then will stick in the dishwasher (with soap!) for a deeper clean.

I'm realizing this is a trend with me. I rinse my hair throughout the week, but only wash twice (on average). I do loads of laundry without soap, too, in between loads (of the same clothes) with.

Anyone wanna come over for dinner, or borrow a bathing suit? :lol:

(FWIW I use fresh, soapy-clean things when cooking for others - I go into "restaurant mode" instead of staying in "family, self mode". I grew up in restaurants, so I know how to keep a squeaky clean kitchen ... I just have different standards cooking for myself and kids at home LOL.)

I have a glass carafe (drip) & I put all the pieces I can (carafe, lid, reusuable filter, and plastic thing that holds the filter) through the dishwasher.

(My motto is that if something can't go in the dishwasher or washing machine, I don't want to own it anyway. ;):lol:)

Me, too.

I don't wash the carafe after every pot, tho.