Menu

VBS and preaching salvation cc

The church I've been taking my dc to VBS this week has really been pushing children to be 'saved'. They've been preaching a lot of, 'we are all sinners, but if you accept Jesus as your Saviour, and believe in him then He will forgive you and you will have eternal life'. They even go so far as to have a time of prayer at the end of each day and tell the children that they can ask Jesus to come into their hearts, and ask Him to forgive their sins and they will be saved. I was a little dissapointed to hear this when I came to pick up my dc. My belief is that Jesus accepts all children into his kingdom whether they are saved or not. That seems to be the going theme of this VBS, that you have to be saved if you want to enter His kingdon. My dc have had a great time and I know people at this church. I'm just not sure this should be something preached over and over to children. I don't know though. Would this be something common at VBS's? The previous VBS my dc attended wasn't so crazy about 'accept Jesus and you will go to heaven one day' I think this is something better reserved for when children are older and can really understand the depth of that decision. My ds7 even told me that there was a stain on his heart and that when he accepted Jesus it was wiped away. What are your thoughs?

• Replies 260
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

First, our church doesn't believe in the Sinner's Prayer. Second, we believe that children are saved because they are born without sin. So no, we do not push children to become saved at VBS. More towards jr high ae we begin teaching the youth what the Bible says about salvation and let them come to their own decisions when they are ready.

I would be very unhappy and uncomfortable with that.

I send DS to VBS at a large Episcopal church each summer, and nothing even remotely theologically objectionable (to me) goes on there. It's all about God's love. This summer, DS wanted to also go to a VBS that a few of his friends were going to, at an Evangelical Covenant Church. I was a bit worried, but so far it seems like it's going fine. They talk about God's love and how everybody sins but God forgives us. There hasn't, as far as I can tell, been any "You must believe in Jesus if you want to go to heaven" talk, which I'm extremely glad about.

I'm actually going to hang out there tonight with DS, because he wants me to come along, so I'll see for myself.

The church I've been taking my dc to VBS this week has really been pushing children to be 'saved'. They've been preaching a lot of, 'we are all sinners, but if you accept Jesus as your Saviour, and believe in him then He will forgive you and you will have eternal life'. They even go so far as to have a time of prayer at the end of each day and tell the children that they can ask Jesus to come into their hearts, and ask Him to forgive their sins and they will be saved. I was a little dissapointed to hear this when I came to pick up my dc. My belief is that Jesus accepts all children into his kingdom whether they are saved or not. That seems to be the going theme of this VBS, that you have to be saved if you want to enter His kingdon. My dc have had a great time and I know people at this church. I'm just not sure this should be something preached over and over to children. I don't know though. Would this be something common at VBS's? The previous VBS my dc attended wasn't so crazy about 'accept Jesus and you will go to heaven one day' I think this is something better reserved for when children are older and can really understand the depth of that decision. My ds7 even told me that there was a stain on his heart and that when he accepted Jesus it was wiped away. What are your thoughs?

Well, the Bible says you must believe that Christ died for your sins so that you can enter the kingdom of heaven. According to the Bible it is the only way.

That said, the concept can be very scary to young children. I would consider it okay for 10 year olds and up. But for littles, I think the parents should be explaining this.

I think your children were told the truth, but that they were too young for the truth to be presented that way.

VBS at our church focuses on God's love for us and how to show God's love to others.

This is why I've been careful about where I let ds attend religious activities. I always read through the church website to see what they teach. If I'm not comfortable with their teachings ds doesn't go. Although, now that he's 14 I'll let him go and then we'll discuss things when he gets home.

I'm thinking you are talking about the 7 and over crowd.

I don't see much wrong with what you said is happening. I don't know that I like the fact that it is drilled into them.

I'm Catholic. We believe that the age of reason is about 7-years old. At this point at a minimum children partake of the sacrament of reconciliation prior to receiving the sacrament of first Eucharist. And in many diocese these children also are confirmed.

It is even worded similarly. Turning from Jesus and sinning causes a stain on one soul that needs to be cleaned off by returning to Jesus, and reconciling.

I guess it is going to boil down to what age you think your children are ready.

Churches I've gone to have always taught kids about salvation from birth onward. I don't think it can hurt for them to hear it. I know of 4 and 5 year olds who have truly understood and accepted Christ. Of course there will be a lot who raise their hands and say they want to do it, but they don't really understand and then they'll do it 10 more times, but eventually it will click and they'll get it and it will be real. Nobody can have childlike faith like a child!

Can you clarify? Children are born saved...so what are the teens deciding about later?

Children are not born "saved". The Bible says even infants are sinful because the human race is sinful. It is a state of being instead of specific actions.

That said, I can't see God refusing an infant admittance into Heaven.

Churches I've gone to have always taught kids about salvation from birth onward. I don't think it can hurt for them to hear it. I know of 4 and 5 year olds who have truly understood and accepted Christ. Of course there will be a lot who raise their hands and say they want to do it, but they don't really understand and then they'll do it 10 more times, but eventually it will click and they'll get it and it will be real. Nobody can have childlike faith like a child!

I do. I think the message to a child that they're unworthy and in danger until they ask forgiveness for something they've no culpability with is mean, to put it lightly.

as well as Bible churches, Church of Christ, Christian Churches (a denomination), or similar type church. That is standard teaching and practice.

I attend a Presbyterian church. I don't think any Reformed church would make that the center of their VBS.

I disagree. I belong to the church of Christ and we would never teach as she has described. We do teach what we believe are the steps to salvation, but not to very young children as we don't believe they have reached the age of accountability yet. It definately isn't forced like that. At most you will hear the preacher explain salvation and invite anyone who wants to study more or to be baptized to either come forward or talk with someone after church. Usually our VBS topics are the power of God, or special studies of special Bible Stories, and so on.

Who can truly fathom salvation?

I'm Episcopal, and I don't have have the slightest problem telling littles they need Jesus. But, I don't like emphasizing it so much at VBS--more the love and acceptance thing. I do think age 7 is about right.

Our VBS may mention it, I don't know--it certainly is about Christ.

Well, the Bible says you must believe that Christ died for your sins so that you can enter the kingdom of heaven. According to the Bible it is the only way.

That said, the concept can be very scary to young children. I would consider it okay for 10 year olds and up. But for littles, I think the parents should be explaining this.

I think your children were told the truth, but that they were too young for the truth to be presented that way.

VBS at our church focuses on God's love for us and how to show God's love to others.

This is why I've been careful about where I let ds attend religious activities. I always read through the church website to see what they teach. If I'm not comfortable with their teachings ds doesn't go. Although, now that he's 14 I'll let him go and then we'll discuss things when he gets home.

:iagree:If we don't agree with anything else that the particular church teaches, we are not going to send our children there for VBS. Many, many churches use VBS as an outreach and deliberately teach and pressure the kids as above. For some chruches it seems that it is all about being saved but not about building a relationship with God.

I agree with the message. I don't agree with the method. I would *not* send my dc to this kind of VBS. It *is* rather common. So definitely something to look out for if it's not your cup of tea.

I understand exactly what the OP is saying. About four years ago I took my kiddos to a local VBS. I knew most of the people there and was comfortable with the church itself. Then I picked up my 6yo to find out that he'd been "saved" that morning. :001_huh: One of his teachers walked him through the prayer and everything. I. Was. Furious. I asked ds what had happened later, and he had absolutely no idea of what he'd done or why.

Note to OP, Beware. If you are uncomfortable at all with any part of the program, pull your kids out or sit with them the whole time.

Whoa!! I am very conservative and very Protestant :001_smile:

I would have been furious too!!!

I can't imagine sending my kids somewhere for religious education and not finding out the church's Statement of Faith or Doctrinal Statement. Personally I agree with their understanding of salvation but if I didn't I would want to know ahead of time and I would not have sent them. If I hadn't done my homework, I would have chalked it up to "a lesson learned". And yes, I would pull them out midweek if I found out there were things I was uncomfortable with in the teaching.

Edited by Jean in Newcastle

Whoa!! I am very conservative and very Protestant :001_smile:

I would have been furious too!!!

This happened with my four year old, a few years ago. I had sent him, but just didn't think about him accepting Christ at VBS. Since I had my cell phone and such, I would have preferred a call. Of course, I suppose I should have realized :( But, I think it was totally real and such... just hard for me to fathom my child praying to accept Christ with someone else at ...4. :(

I would absolutely expect that at a vacation *Bible* school.

It depends on the type and location of the church. I live in the Bible Belt, so I expect it, which is why I have never allowed my son to attend VBS. I have a lot of resentment over being pressured to be "saved" and then subsequently baptized when I was a child.

I had a similar experience. Did the theme happen to be Pandamania?

Our girls have gone to the same church for VBS for years (our home church is very small and doesn't do VBS). I offered to volunteer for two days and was in the room when the storyteller led kids through the "sinners prayer". Then I was supposed to pray with my group of five year olds and write their names down if they prayed it. I felt VERY uncomfortable, especially when I saw my daughters name on the list from earlier in the morning! Thankfully I had a chance to talk with my group and tell them that God comes into each of our hearts at different times, and that they could all pray to God and trust him always. We then prayed quietly.

I just feel like this is a parents job. When I asked my daughters later, the 5 yo (on the list) had no idea what it meant, while my older DD said, "I told them I've asked God into my heart many times. This wasn't the first time.". So she and I agreed to talk with dad and our pastor about what this means.

We don't do VBS and this is one of the big reasons why. The whole idea of child-evangelism doesn't seem quite biblical to me and I think in many cases it ends up doing more harm than good. I do believe that the only way to heaven is through our Saviour, Jesus Christ. But I also believe that children are innocent and that in God's time he will reveal this truth to them. Until then, I think it is better to just do a systematic teaching of the word of God and let Him speak to them through His word without over-emphasizing the need for salvation at a too-young age.

I was "saved" at a church camp when I was 8? 9? Nothing changed in my life and it brought much confusion in my later years. When I was 20 I gave my heart and life to the Lord again...this time for real and with a thorough understanding of what it all meant.

A quote from a book I once read (sorry I can't give credit because I don't remember)

Rather than getting their children to pray "the sinner's prayer" or enticing them into a superficial response, parents must faithfully, patiently, and thoroughly teach them the gospel and diligently pray for their salvation, always bearing in mind that God is the One who save. There is no need to pressure or coerce a confession from the mouth of a child, for genuince repentance will bring forth its own confession as the Lord opens the heart in response to the gospel. And as time goes by, it in never right to reinforce to the child that a childhood prayer is evidence of salvation.

That being said, my oldest gave her life to Jesus at age 9. No one was pushing her....just a regular Sunday morning service - no appeals, no altar call. For her, it was the right time. And it has been beautiful watching her relationship with the Lord grow. But I would not have liked for someone to by trying to get her saved before then.

Off my soap box now. :D

I would expect that at our church...it isn't "drilled" but lovingly shared. It's the gospel. And, our church is very open about the fact that VBS is a huge witnessing opportunity! Our church members invite friends, family, etc...and the very reason we have these things is to share the gospel. At our VBS this year, there were almost 500 children and 11 salvations...

I think if I were going to take my children to VBS at a church that was not our own, I would want to know what was being taught...but if, for instance, I knew they were using the Lifeway VBS package - this year, the Big Apple, I would know that salvation was the goal...

I guess part of me is surprised that people take their children to VBS and DON'T expect this?! I guess it is just a different denomination thing...but that just shows how common it is here, especially where we are in the Bible Belt.

I was asking the poster to clarify HER belief that all children are born without sin/saved.

It would be helpful when posting on a public forum to quote the person to whom you are asking a direct question. Even then, others are free to answer; it is a public forum. :) No offense intended, just explanation.

as well as Bible churches, Church of Christ, Christian Churches (a denomination), or similar type church. That is standard teaching and practice.

:iagree:

Mr. Ellie grew up in the Southern Baptist Church. Every VBS he ever attended encouraged children to accept Jesus, prayed with them, the whole thing. That's sort of the point of a VBS: to reach dc who are not yet born again.

I do. I think the message to a child that they're unworthy and in danger until they ask forgiveness for something they've no culpability with is mean, to put it lightly.

There are some gross misunderstandings in your linked video. I also find it interesting that your friend, the thinking atheist, doesn't bother to list his/her name in association with his/her propaganda.

The misunderstandings stem from the one part of the gospel that, unfortunately, doesn't reach many of people. God loves you. God desires an eternity with you. Because of the fall of man God gave His son to die for your sins so that you could still spend an eternity walking in the Garden of Eden with God. God did this because he loves you. So often, I see God's love dropped from the message as the focus is on how unworthy we are and that Christ died for our unworthiness. While this is true. Christ died for us because God wants all humans to accept Christ so that they can spend an eternity with Him. That is why he has given us so long on this world. God loves us and wants us with him for all eternity as companions, not minions. It's the other guy that wants the minions.

The misunderstandings stem from the one part of the gospel that, unfortunately, doesn't reach many of people. God loves you.

That part of the gospel doesn't reach many people? Why do you think not?

God desires an eternity with you. Because of the fall of man God gave His son to die for your sins so that you could still spend an eternity walking in the Garden of Eden with God. God did this because he loves you. So often, I see God's love dropped from the message as the focus is on how unworthy we are and that Christ died for our unworthiness. While this is true. Christ died for us because God wants all humans to accept Christ so that they can spend an eternity with Him. That is why he has given us so long on this world. God loves us and wants us with him for all eternity as companions, not minions. It's the other guy that wants the minions.

Unless you're mistaken; and ultimately this isn't anything more than a belief. A strong, compelling belief perhaps, but a belief nonetheless. Believing something really really hard doesn't make it true and teaching a child that it is true is, well, really mean, imo.

Prior to this discussion, I didn't know any VBS that didn't do this.

I believe that I had a sincere conversion experience at 5. ODD, who is almost 5, told us that she asked Jesus to come into her heart and forgive her for times when she was angry and unkind and didn't do what the Bible says she should do, and to help her be more kind next time a couple of months ago. She did it by herself, with no prompting from me other than listening to our devotions and scripture songs/readings at night - I'll admit I was a little bummed since I had these visions of being there with my children during this experience, lol! She talks about why she chose to do it often and I believe that she understands.

She went to Pandamania a couple of weeks ago and told me they asked if she wanted to pray to ask Jesus in to her heart but she told them she already had.

I haven't clicked your link.

I really disagree. I have never heard anyone tell a child what the alternative to salvation is. Only what salvation is.

My children have both come to me ASKING how they can be with God when they die. I explained it to them and they asked if they could ask God to forgive them of any bad things they've done, ask Him to help them to be good, and thank Him for Jesus' sacrifice for them. I think that was their profession of faith in whatever way a 4 and 5 year old can understand it. After that time they loved telling other people about Jesus and how they told God they want to follow Him forever.

Because satan has many allies and God has stuck to his word offering us free will.

Unless you're mistaken; and ultimately this isn't anything more than a belief. A strong, compelling belief perhaps, but a belief nonetheless. Believing something really really hard doesn't make it true and teaching a child that it is true is, well, really mean, imo.

If you had ever read the Bible you would know it was true.

If you are sending your child to VBS you are looking for religious instruction. If you are looking for free daycare, well, then, you have to accept what you get.

Teaching a child about Jesus is mean? Maybe NOT teaching them about Jesus is mean to some people. ;)

Teaching a child about Jesus is mean?

It's mean because for Jesus to be of value, the child must need something and not have it first. The premise of the Jesus story is that the child needs to be accepted. As is, the child is not acceptable. The child is corrupt and even GodWhoLoves can't be with/see that child but only her corruption. Her "sin." The child, through no fault of their own, has been found guilty and only through believing the Jesus story can the child gain acceptance.

Why teach a child they're not acceptable? Why teach a child they're corrupted? Why not teach a child they're beautiful and wonderful in every way and that in their existence life has meaning and hope?

Surely churches teach this, even in vacation bible school?

I attend a Presbyterian church. I don't think any Reformed church would make that the center of their VBS.

The Church of Christ does not teach the sinner's prayer.

It's mean because for Jesus to be of value, the child must need something and not have it first. The premise of the Jesus story is that the child needs to be accepted. As is, the child is not acceptable. The child is corrupt and even GodWhoLoves can't be with/see that child but only her corruption. Her "sin." The child, through no fault of their own, has been found guilty and only through believing the Jesus story can the child gain acceptance.

Why teach a child they're not acceptable? Why teach a child they're corrupted? Why not teach a child they're beautiful and wonderful in every way and that in their existence life has meaning and hope?

Actually, the Bible teaches us that we were created to companions to God. Before the fall of man, He regularly walked with them in the Garden of Eden. We will, one day, walk with Him again. This earth is only a short phase of our lives. We were created just to be with God. That is way better than your version of life.

I would absolutely expect that at a vacation *Bible* school.

Children are not born "saved". The Bible says even infants are sinful because the human race is sinful. It is a state of being instead of specific actions.

That said, I can't see God refusing an infant admittance into Heaven.

Especially if that is what the church believes. Whether you believe it or not should probably influence whether you send your kids to their VBS, not whether or not they should teach what they do.

Mr. Ellie grew up in the Southern Baptist Church. Every VBS he ever attended encouraged children to accept Jesus, prayed with them, the whole thing. That's sort of the point of a VBS: to reach dc who are not yet born again.

:001_huh: I'm confused. Do you say these things because you are a non-believer or you are a believer who doesn't believe in teach sin and salvation to your children until a specific age?

Why do you think you can't teach both? My children are most definitely taught they are made in the image of God (what greater compliment?), that they were created for a purpose, that everything about them is exactly how it should be, that God brought us together as a family, and on and on and on. And also that if we want to be with God one day we have to accept Jesus' sacrifice and follow Him. They go hand in hand.

Actually, the Bible teaches us that we were created to companions to God. Before the fall of man, He regularly walked with them in the Garden of Eden. We will, one day, walk with Him again. This earth is only a short phase of our lives. We were created just to be with God. That is way better than your version of life.

Only those who believe the Jesus Story so they can be forgiven for being born unacceptable. Everyone else presumably gets to spend eternity in the fire that never dies. Because that's God's justice - He made you bad and you deserve death. Only then does God's mercy sound merciful. Stories told in the vbs in the OP start with scaring children. Preying on their fears of vulnerability and loneliness, they speak as the authority of Parents Who Know because you know, they're just kids and they've been taught to listen and learn. Were I to explain this same method in another religion (say, Islam), I suspect words like "cruel" and "dangerous" would be applied.

If you had ever read the Bible you would know it was true.

Cheryl, do you realize how offensive this is? Many of the strongest atheists spent years reading and studying the Bible (many are even former pastors). A person's reading of the Bible is no guarantee that he/she will reach the conclusion that what's contained in it is true. In fact, the opposite results are often obtained.

:001_huh: I'm confused. Do you say these things because you are a non-believer or you are a believer who doesn't believe in teach sin and salvation to your children until a specific age?

I say these things because when you take the sugar coating off the message, that's the point. I say these things because I think it's mean to do to a child, even if the adult has had time to desensitize herself from the shock of this message. It's scary and preys on a child's age and innocence to take it for granted that because an adult / teacher tells them this, it's an okay message to identify with. The OP asked for thoughts and these are mine.

That would be standard issue in a church with an Arminian (sp?) view of election. Some Baptists-particularly Southern Baptists, some other evangelicals and fundamentalists would fall into that category too. Anyone who thinks Charles Finney is to emulated would probably take that approach. It's reason #47 why we left the S. Baptist Church years ago.

People more Calvinist in their views of election would not take that approach (whether they classify themselves as Reformed or not.) No "sinner's prayer." No "making a decision" for Christ. No "alter calls."

In general, I think parents should be very careful where they send their kids to VBS or any other church. It's important to find the right church for you based on your convictions and what doctrine you want taught. That's why we have denominations-so people can practice their faith with like-minded people.

Only those who believe the Jesus Story so they can be forgiven for being born unacceptable. Everyone else presumably gets to spend eternity in the fire that never dies. Because that's God's justice - He made you bad and you deserve death. Only then does God's mercy sound merciful. Stories told in the vbs in the OP start with scaring children. Preying on their fears of vulnerability and loneliness, they speak as the authority of Parents Who Know because you know, they're just kids and they've been taught to listen and learn. Were I to explain this same method in another religion (say, Islam), I suspect words like "cruel" and "dangerous" would be applied.

Your first "sentence" is not complete. I don't understand what you are saying.

God didn't make anyone bad. He created us in His image. Adam and Eve caused the fall of man, making Jesus sacrifice necessary. Maybe you should research your position a bit more.

I am one of the ones that spoke out against preaching to children in the way that was preached to the OP's children. It is scary, especially if you leave out the love of God.

Cheryl, do you realize how offensive this is? Many of the strongest atheists spent years reading and studying the Bible (many are even former pastors). A person's reading of the Bible is no guarantee that he/she will reach the conclusion that what's contained in it is true. In fact, the opposite results are often obtained.

Please read the post I was referring to. The comment of mine that you quoted was made in context and you have taken it out of context.

Would this be something common at VBS's?

This is common at some VBS's. Depending on the denomination of the church, I would expect this.

What are your thoughs?

It would be a good idea to check the Statement of Faith of a church before sending a child to their VBS. You may also be able to check into what materials they plan to use as they teach the children. This way you know what to expect in the program.

Please read the post I was referring to. The comment of mine that you quoted was made in context and you have taken it out of context.

Actually I read her post several times. Perhaps you and I were thinking of different parts of her post in regards to your response. I thought you were saying that if she read the Bible, she would know that it's true, but maybe I misunderstood you. :)