Menu

Are you a Dispensationalist or a Reformer?

I am at a fork in the road so to speak. I don't want a debate at all. I have a million questions. There are verses to back up both views. I lean more towards one view than the other, but I can't seem to figure out how to discern the truth. :confused: How can I biblically make a decision about my beliefs? I am praying about this as well. This decision will either keep my family at our church or we'll be looking elsewhere.

Did you know those aren't the only two options?

It's hard when you start to question your beliefs I know. I don't know if you're looking for what others believe or have specific questions yourself?

FWIW, it's clear from scripture there will be an end but how it will play out is simply not clear imo. That might be part of your issue. I'm wary of a system, like dispensationalism, because it comes from a presupposition and people tend to then interpret while largely unaware of their preconceptions. That's a danger wtih any theological system of course.

Edited by sbgrace

Reformed Baptist here. We are covenantal not dispensational.

Same here. :)

Formerly Dispensational, though. We just start seeing too many inconsistencies between what Scripture says (verses/passages in context, not taken out of context) and what Dispys teach, not to mention how the outline of actual historical events line up better with what Reformed theology teaches. Yes, there are some non-Calvinists who are Dispensational in eschatology, but I think they're in the minority. (John MacArthur comes to mind.) MOST Calvinists, however, are either Postmillennial or Amillennial. Honestly, I haven't decided yet whether I'm A- or Post-.

If you want something really meaty that goes into great detail explaining all the differences and views that are out there (assuming you do believe in a literal hell and eternal life in one of two places, that is), you might get R.C. Sproul's book titled The Last Days According to Jesus.

If you want something lighter and more brief to give you a very basic overview of the four most well-known views, then I recommend Four Views of the End Times by Timothy Paul Jones.

:grouphug::grouphug: Going through a similar search. Lets pray for eachother!:D

Dispensationalist and Reformed are not mutually exclusive. :001_smile:

Hmm...

Did you know those aren't the only two options?

It's hard when you start to question your beliefs I know. I don't know if you're looking for what others believe or have specific questions yourself?

FWIW, it's clear from scripture there will be an end but how it will play out is simply not clear imo. That might be part of your issue. I'm wary of a system, like dispensationalism, because it comes from a presupposition and people tend to then interpret while largely unaware of their preconceptions. That's a danger wtih any theological system of course.

Could you say what the presupposition is in your opinion?

Neither, and I'm a conservative Episcopalian (for the moment). :D

I find Dispensationalism too boxy, and Reform--well, I can't go with the "created with no chance of redemption."

LOL, you sound like my dad. He thinks dispensationalist box God in, too. I'm with you on the not being able to go with the "created with no chance of redemption".

I can't answer your question...mostly because it does not matter to me one hill of beans!

I have heard arguments/discussions on both and several other positions...I find it is like splitting hairs and takes away from what I think God has called me to focus on the most....living to honor Him and devote my life to serving Him....where I would have a problem is if I was in a church that proclaimed irrefutably that they were one or the other and make that a requirement for church membership...then, I would switch churches..there are people in our church that believe probably some version of all of these descriptions...we just don't discuss it...we fellowship, love one another and seek His will...for now, God does not impress upon me that I need to decide anything beyond what I have stated.

You know, I don't find any of those big words in the Bible. These are terms that have been created by man to explain God and force us to choose a club that is more right than another.

Christians can just read the Word and pray for God to give their hearts and minds discernment to know the truth. We have the Holy Spirit. It is a prayer he longs to answer, so we can trust that He will.

Fact is, I have no clue what I am. I just love Jesus and I love to study the Word of God. There's a bit of all of them in me, I suppose.

Thank you for each and every response. These 'terms' matter to me because of the two types of churches that I attend teach one of these two beliefs. I agree that perhaps it doesn't matter, at least in one sense. However, my children will be sitting under the teaching and listening to one of these two 'terms' being taught. Therefore, I need to know what I believe for certain. I honestly would like to know myself from scripture, but there are verses to back up both...

I know that some of the terms may be man made, but all the teaching most definitely isn't. kwim?

One of the best verses I have learned is Psalm 119:160:

"The sum of Your word is truth,

And every one of Your righteous ordinances is everlasting."

When it says "sum" that means that you have to add up all that the Bible says about a subject to know the truth. If you want to know the whole truth about salvation, you can't just take a few verses from here or there. You must take the sum of everything the Bible says about salvation, add it together, and then you will come to the whole truth.

It is the same with dispensationalism or covenent theology or what have you. You can not base a theology on only certain verses and not others. I lean a lot more toward covenant theology, but I think there are parts of dispensationalism that are also truth. At the end of the day, the truth may be somewhere in the middle of these different views.

If you are worried about your kids, perhaps you should just have an honest discussion and study about the subject with them (if they are old enough). IMO it is good to teach kids how to think when they encounter people of different opinions and beliefs. I often do this regarding creationism and evolution. I tell my kids that there are people who believe in evolution and what that entails. I tell them that if they hear someone say such and such thing about how old the earth is for example, then they should recognize that that person holds a certain belief system. I think you can do the same with this subject of theology. Tell them the different views, and if they hear a particular teaching at church, that means the person holds this certain theology.

I don't think that it is important to find some kind of definitive answer for exactly what the truth is regarding dispensationalism versus other views. You may not be able to find that for the rest of your life. I have been in a lot of different churches with different theologies, and there are minor issues that you just have to nod your head and smile about even if you don't see things quite the same way. Some things like how the world is going to end are not worth arguing about because I don't think anyone really knows for sure what is going to happen.

Edited by Mrs Twain

You know, I don't find any of those big words in the Bible. These are terms that have been created by man to explain God and force us to choose a club that is more right than another.

Christians can just read the Word and pray for God to give their hearts and minds discernment to know the truth. We have the Holy Spirit. It is a prayer he longs to answer, so we can trust that He will.

Fact is, I have no clue what I am. I just love Jesus and I love to study the Word of God. There's a bit of all of them in me, I suppose.

So you have no idea what you think about the "end times" or you just don't know what word is attached to your system of belief?

Could you say what the presupposition is in your opinion?

Dispensationalism comes from the 1830's--it's not that old as a theological viewpoint in whole if you look at church history. To me that is significant. It's likely the dominant American evangelical view but people don't necessarily understand that it's their belief nor have they really examined that belief as a whole.

It's been a while since I've looked at this area honestly but I was raised with a strong dispensationalist view and sort of held that as an unexamined assumption even as an adult. I feel as if my brain is sort of half on. However, as I recall, one presupposition would be that there is a rapture which will occur the way that teaching envisions. Paul in I and II Thes. speaks about a second coming and then they link it to Revelation for example. What is the basis for assuming they are linked? Another supposition would be double fulfillment of prophecies/that they are fulfilled twice. That could happen with particular prophecies but we can't assume it will or has.

I can try to think of some more after some sleep if it might be helpful. But the over-all view in my opinion is sort of that the bible is a code to break. Now that you broke the code you can pretty much know how it's all going to play out. Wherever you end up falling in belief I think it's a good idea to examine it. That might be particularly true if that belief is the dominant of your upbringing or culture. At least I've found that true in my own life.

That said, in this area, it's not something I believe is clear so in my life it doesn't have much affect. There are other theological stances I found more troublesome personally. The only danger from a spiritual perspective that I can think of right now is that some people tend to get entirely wrapped up in this area and might neglect proper attention to the more important things. In that case it matters.

Edited by sbgrace

Dispensationalism comes from the 1830's--it's not that old as a theological viewpoint in whole if you look at church history. To me that is significant. It's likely the dominant American evangelical view but people don't necessarily understand that it's their belief nor have they really examined that belief as a whole.

It's been a while since I've looked at this area honestly but I was raised with a strong dispensationalist view and sort of held that as an unexamined assumption even as an adult. I feel as if my brain is sort of half on. However, as I recall, one presupposition would be that there is a rapture which will occur the way that teaching envisions. Paul in I and II Thes. speaks about a second coming and then they link it to Revelation for example. What is the basis for assuming they are linked? Another supposition would be double fulfillment of prophecies/that they are fulfilled twice. That could happen with particular prophecies but we can't assume it will or has.

I can try to think of some more after some sleep if it might be helpful. But the over-all view in my opinion is sort of that the bible is a code to break. Now that you broke the code you can pretty much know how it's all going to play out. Wherever you end up falling in belief I think it's a good idea to examine it. That might be particularly true if that belief is the dominant of your upbringing or culture. At least I've found that true in my own life.

That said, in this area, it's not something I believe is clear so in my life it doesn't have much affect. There are other theological stances I found more troublesome personally. The only danger from a spiritual perspective that I can think of right now is that some people tend to get entirely wrapped up in this area and might neglect proper attention to the more important things. In that case it matters.

Thank you. And I definitely agree that people can get too wrapped up in it and neglect the more important things.

I too am going through a similar search. Raised dispensational, but I am pretty sure I don't believe that though.

TNT, for some reason, I picture you as a post-mil, partial preterist, supralapsarian Calvinist, with a glazing of 18th century American revivalism.

With a Hawaiian tan.

:001_smile:

TNT, for some reason, I picture you as a post-mil, partial preterist, supralapsarian Calvinist, with a glazing of 18th century American revivalism.

With a Hawaiian tan.

:001_smile:

lol. Not much of a tan...not sure about some of the rest, whereas some is right on.

I think it does matter what you believe (as far as secondary doctrine) because you read the bible through that filter. These are not salvation issues but it colors your worldview. I didn't think I fell into any camp a few years ago. I was definitely in one. I just didn't know it had a name.

:iagree: Thus, my quest.

Mark Twain once said,

Ă¢â‚¬Å“It ain't those parts of the Bible that I can't understand that bother me, it is the parts that I do understand.Ă¢â‚¬

You know what parts of the Bible I have trouble sorting out how to apply?

Love your enemies

Pray for those who persecute you

Give to everyone who asks of you

If someone wants to sue you for your shirt, give him your coat also

Let him deny himself, take up his cross daily, and follow Me

Love the Lord your God with all your heart and all your soul and all your strength and all your mind

Do not judge lest you be judged

With the measure you use, it will be measured back to you

But if you do not forgive others, then your Father will not forgive your transgressions

Etc.

I think it is interesting to discuss dispensationalism versus covenant theology, but it is more useful to discuss how to live out the weightier matters of the Bible.

Mark Twain once said,

Ă¢â‚¬Å“It ain't those parts of the Bible that I can't understand that bother me, it is the parts that I do understand.Ă¢â‚¬

You know what parts of the Bible I have trouble sorting out how to apply?

Love your enemies

Pray for those who persecute you

Give to everyone who asks of you

If someone wants to sue you for your shirt, give him your coat also

Let him deny himself, take up his cross daily, and follow Me

Love the Lord your God with all your heart and all your soul and all your strength and all your mind

Do not judge lest you be judged

With the measure you use, it will be measured back to you

But if you do not forgive others, then your Father will not forgive your transgressions

Etc.

I think it is interesting to discuss dispensationalism versus covenant theology, but it is more useful to discuss how to live out the weightier matters of the Bible.

Perhaps it is more useful (depends on the time IMHO) to discuss other 'weightier matters', but right now these are my struggles and I came here for help.

Thank you for each and every response. These 'terms' matter to me because of the two types of churches that I attend teach one of these two beliefs. I agree that perhaps it doesn't matter, at least in one sense. However, my children will be sitting under the teaching and listening to one of these two 'terms' being taught. Therefore, I need to know what I believe for certain. I honestly would like to know myself from scripture, but there are verses to back up both...

I know that some of the terms may be man made, but all the teaching most definitely isn't. kwim?

Would this chart help in any way? I came across it when I googled your options since I didn't know for sure what the terms mean.

I don't fit into either category.

I think it does matter what you believe (as far as secondary doctrine) because you read the bible through that filter. These are not salvation issues but it colors your worldview. I didn't think I fell into any camp a few years ago. I was definitely in one. I just didn't know it had a name.

:iagree: I think it's kind of an intellectual cop-out when people perceive inconsistancies in Scripture in regards to doctrinal issues and refuse to even think these things through. Biblical truths aren't just laying around on the ground for all and sundry to pick up and understand at first glance. SOme things you have to wrestle with and argue with and study and not understand at first, but I think it stunts your growth as a Christian to just decide since it's not a "Salvation Issue" then it's not worth thinking about or discussing. I was raised Dispy, but when I became Reformed I realized that I was Coventantal. Not all Calvinists are Coventantal. I believe John MacArthur is a Dispy. There are many different flavors of Calvinists.

I am at a fork in the road so to speak ... :confused: How can I biblically make a decision about my beliefs? I am praying about this as well. This decision will either keep my family at our church or we'll be looking elsewhere.

Christians can just read the Word and pray for God to give their hearts and minds discernment to know the truth. We have the Holy Spirit.

It is this very thing that led us confused and limping and tired to the door of the Orthodox church. I got so tired of trying to figure it out on my own -- the million big and little things we can come across in our walk of faith. It seemed like the Christian life was about tackling these issues one by one as they came up, studying the Bible to determine what my personal conviction was. The problem? If we all have the Holy Spirit and can read the Scriptures and pray for discernment, then why is everyone coming up with different answers? Why are there 20,000+ denominations, instead of one united Church? Some of the beliefs people and denominations come up with are diametrically opposed -- they can't all be right. Besides, it's been 2000 years, certainly these things ought to have been figured out by now?? In Orthodoxy, we have found a rest from all this, and a unity of faith that transcends time. If you're at a crossroads (and we were as well, about two years ago), maybe look into Orthodoxy.

Edited by milovanĂƒÂ½

I see problems with both of these views. But I think your core question here is this bit:

... but I can't seem to figure out how to discern the truth. :confused: How can I biblically make a decision about my beliefs?...

Perhaps before (or at least while) digging into millenial issues and so forth it would be good to just focus on this question for a while. How do you know what to believe on any religious subject? How do you know Christ is the Savior? How can you tell the Bible is truth? Why do you believe in God? Start with things you know and ask how you know them, dig into the Bible and find out what it says about how to discern truth, pray for guidance. Then once you think you've got a solid handle on how to know what is true, you can apply those principles to other issues, like these various -isms.

Also, any time you're looking at a choice between a or b, keep in mind there may be a c or d that nobody told you about yet, but that might actually be closer to the truth than a or b. But I think others have already brought that up.

I didn't read the responses.

Do you mean Dispensationalist vs. Covenant Theologian/Replacement Theology? There are some people with Dispensational tendencies (they do not believe the Church is the new Israel and therefore the promises to Israel in the OT are still applicable to literal Israel) who are Reformed on their view of election. And do you know that Dispensationalist is not all or nothing? There are variant views within the classification.

The problem? If we all have the Holy Spirit and can read the Scriptures and pray for discernment, then why is everyone coming up with different answers? Why are there 20,000+ denominations, instead of one united Church? Some of the beliefs people and denominations come up with are diametrically opposed -- they can't all be right.

But what's another 13,000?;)

Would this chart help in any way? I came across it when I googled your options since I didn't know for sure what the terms mean.

I don't fit into either category.

This puts me on both sides. I agree with some points on either side. So what does that make me?:confused: I am just plainly a sinner who believes in Christ.

:iagree:

So you have no idea what you think about the "end times" or you just don't know what word is attached to your system of belief?

Maybe it is just me, but this came across as condescending. I know what the views mean but I find them meaningless if the entire Bible doesn't dictate how you live your life. I *think* Jesus is much more interested in how we live our everyday lives than if we have figured out the formula for when He will return.

I see problems with both of these views. But I think your core question here is this bit:

Perhaps before (or at least while) digging into millenial issues and so forth it would be good to just focus on this question for a while. How do you know what to believe on any religious subject? How do you know Christ is the Savior? How can you tell the Bible is truth? Why do you believe in God? Start with things you know and ask how you know them, dig into the Bible and find out what it says about how to discern truth, pray for guidance. Then once you think you've got a solid handle on how to know what is true, you can apply those principles to other issues, like these various -isms.

Also, any time you're looking at a choice between a or b, keep in mind there may be a c or d that nobody told you about yet, but that might actually be closer to the truth than a or b. But I think others have already brought that up.

I love this advice.

Do you mean Dispensationalist vs. Covenant Theologian/Replacement Theology? There are some people with Dispensational tendencies (they do not believe the Church is the new Israel and therefore the promises to Israel in the OT are still applicable to literal Israel) who are Reformed on their view of election. And do you know that Dispensationalist is not all or nothing? There are variant views within the classification.

Yes. Most folks within the Reformed church that I know personally do not believe that Israel is separate from other Christians. For me at this moment in time there are two views, I do NOT want to go in another direction now. I understand your thought above regarding variations. But most Reformed folks I know are very down on Dispensationalist. We are between two churches at this time. One is Dispensational and the other Reformed. This doctrine is important to me regarding the end times especially. I realize that there is freedom, but I also know that I give account to what is being taught to my children. Also, I cannot join a congregation if I do not believe what is being taught in that particular church.

I like your advice. I agree with you. The problem for me is that I see 'both sides of the coin'. There seems to be scriptures that can back up both sides. I use the Bible to discern the truth. I need to definitely pray more about this. I honestly am not worried about c or d. For my family I think/feel that it is a or b. :D Thank you for your words of wisdom.

I like your advice. I agree with you. The problem for me is that I see 'both sides of the coin'. There seems to be scriptures that can back up both sides. I use the Bible to discern the truth. I need to definitely pray more about this. I honestly am not worried about c or d. For my family I think/feel that it is a or b. :D Thank you for your words of wisdom.

There've been things I felt that way about too--the seeing both sides of the coin feeling. Often I find that neither side of the coin is a complete picture of the reality of the thing, and what I need is to find a way to stop looking at two two-dimensional pictures on the sides and take a step back to where I can start seeing the whole coin in three dimensions. Often there's a lot of truth in the...intersection? I can't think of the right word...of the two sides, and understanding both sides helps me frame my questions better, even if I wind up at the conclusion that neither side represents complete and unadulterated truth in and of itself, and the real substance lies somewhere in between. But that's also usually not as easy as it sounds...lol.

I rely heavily on the Bible in discerning truth too, but one of the truths the Bible points me to is that I must also rely on the Spirit:

John 16:13 Howbeit when he, the Spirit of truth, is come, he will guide you into all truth: for he shall not speak of himself; but whatsoever he shall hear, that shall he speak: and he will shew you things to come.

It can be a little harder to do because the Spirit is not so visible and concrete as a printed book. Just as real, though.

Edited by MamaSheep

You should've read the thread. ;) First, not all those who aren't Dispensational believe in Replacement Theology. Those who do are actually a subset of Reformed believers, not the majority. Second, several of us in the thread have already made her aware of other options. :)

Maybe it is just me, but this came across as condescending. I know what the views mean but I find them meaningless if the entire Bible doesn't dictate how you live your life. I *think* Jesus is much more interested in how we live our everyday lives than if we have figured out the formula for when He will return.

I wasn't being condescending at all.:confused:

Frankly, I firmly believe that what you do think of the end times will affect how you live your life. (General "you.") And I don't think, at all, that there is a "formula" for when He will return.

I also believe that God wants us to study the whole of Scripture. If there is text in the Word about eschatology then, at some point in our lives, we should be students of it.

God wants us to pursue all of Him.:)

LOL. Wow.

What you believe on the issue of dispensationalist or covenant theology permeates the Christian culture more than some of you might think. For example the Left Behind books are dispensationalist. Either you believe that version of end times events is plausible or not. If you didn't believe that way I don't imagine you'd encourage your children to read the young child versions (or maybe you would. I don't know).

It came up frequently on my last trip home. My parents are dispie and I was raised dispie and they were rather surprised that I hadn't gone into a detailed description of the rapture and tribulation with my children. I explained that we've talked about Christ's second coming and what heaven will be like, etc but haven't covered specifically the doctrine of a rapture of the church or a 7yrs tribulation. (#1 because it scared the crap out of me as a child and #2 because we don't believe events will look like anything in the Left Behind books).

Bottom line, I think the issue is at least worth thinking about and wrestling with.

Hubby and I are Reformed and we do lean towards Covenant theology, BUT we attend a nondenominational church that is dispensationalist. It hasn't been an issue. This is definitely a secondary doctrinal issue, in our opinion. I hope my children learn a balanced view of it. That they read Scripture and understand that CHRIST COMES BACK and those who are part of his kingdom will live with him forever. I hope they are gracious to those believe differently then they do on the subject. Whether it is a dispie, a covenant theology, or new covenant theology. Whether amill, premill, or post mill.