Menu

Books for an avid reader....

We are out of book ideas. She is a 12 yo with a very advanced reading level and she has read almost everything I can think of...

Harry Potter, LOTR, Mysterious Benedict, 39 Clues, everything from Jessica George Day, every single Nancy Drew or Hardy Boys ever written (finished those off years ago :confused:), most Jane Austen books, etc. She is asking for new book ideas and I have no idea what to tell her. Any thoughts?

Edited to Add: She has read all of the Redwall, The Thief series, LM Montgomery, Percy Jackson, The Giver series, and Burnett books.

Edited by Charleigh

Anne of Green Gables?

Maisy Dobbs mysteries? Carolyn Funke?

(I'm wracking my brain trying to remember what my 10yo is reading right now. It's a series... With cats.... Warriors! My husband's brain is better than mine.)

Has she read Percy Jackson? Rick Riordan has another series after that, set in ancient Egypt, if I recall correctly.

Victor Hugo? Les Miserables? Hunchback?

The Brontes?

(wow. That's a schizo list isn't it? When I was 12, I was reading Homer and Stephen King.)

We are doing alot of biographies -- also, dd12 just completed the LOTR trilogy.

I am going to zip through GIANT by Edna Ferber (I read it years ago) and see if it is okay for her. Last summer she read THE ONCE AND FUTURE KING among other things and she loved it.

Basically, I peruse the summer reading lists of competitive private schools and we find titles there.

Lois Lowrey's THE GIVER is one title that comes to mind. THE VIEW FROm SATURDAY by e.l. Konigsberg and THE MIXED UP FILES OF MRS. BASIL E. FRANKWEILER also by konigsberg are good reads.

I, JUAN DE PAREGO (cannot remember author), THE BRONZE BOW; if you go to the pandia press website: www.pandiapress.com and look through their history curric, there are excellent literature lists there. It costs nothing to look.:001_smile:

Watership Down?

I second Mariann's suggestion. I just bought the Readers Guide from Hearts at Home (<$3) because the summer reading lists for kids around here are horrifying. Magic Treehouse, Captain Underpants and Seuss for 5th graders. :glare: The guide (from Covenant Christian School?) has easy, average and challenging books for each age group, along with their required reads for each grade marked. It's quite a list.

https://heartsathomestore.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=416_162&products_id=7793

Edited by MyCrazyHouse

Watership Down?

I second Mariann's suggestion. I just bought the Readers Guide from Hearts at Home (<$3) because the summer reading lists for kids around here are horrifying. Magic Treehouse, Captain Underpants and Seuss for 5th graders. :glare: The guide (from Covenant Christian School?) has easy, average and challenging books for each age group, along with their required reads for each grade marked. It's quite a list.

https://heartsathomestore.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=416_162&products_id=7793

OOOOOH --- thank you for this! I LOVED watership down AND Nicholas and Alexandra.

Watership Down is a must!

I just finished reading The Last Unicorn and that's a great one, too.

Has she read Frances Hodgson Burnett's books?

If she likes Jane Austen, she should try North and South by Elizabeth Gaskell.

Louisa May Alcott's Little Women and An Old Fashioned Girl are some of my favorites, as well.

If you aren't too concerned about sex and violence, George R. R. Martin's fantasy series is a great one. The first book is Game of Thrones.

Good suggestions from Mariann...

I always just think there are so many books out there for that age and level of reader that it's hard for me to believe she's actually exhausted everything.

If she likes fantasy, has she done Megan Whelan Turner's Thief series? Those are incredible. How about Robin McKinley's The Blue Sword or The Hero and the Crown? Classics. How about Kristen Cashore's Graceling? Though it's YA and there's some serious romance, I wouldn't mind giving it most 12 yos (though you may feel differently). Or how about Diana Wynne Jones's whole cannon of books? She wrote amazing twisty, mind-bending fantasy tales of all kinds. I assume she's already done Madeleine L'Engle's books? Has she already read Shannon Hale? Those are fairy-tale retellings and are occasionally also marked YA but don't really have anything objectionable in them. And while it's slightly younger, how about Savvy or Scumble, both of which were lots of fun?

For more contemporary fare, how about some Polly Horvath? I especially liked My One Hundred Adventures and North to the Moon, both of which are lovely, lyrical tales. Also, it's sort of fantasy, sort of contemporary, but I really like Kathi Appelit's two books - Keeper and The Underneath. And has she read Wendy Mass? She could start with Every Soul a Star, which has a homeschooling theme. Also, I really like Deborah Wiles - try Every Little Bird That Sings or her recent book Countdown, which is historical fiction about the 1960's. And, sticking with the historical fiction, Gloria Whelan is another great author of historical fiction - try Homeless Bird. Or how about Laurie Halse Anderson's middle grades American History series?

Or, maybe some mysteries? Please tell me she's read the trio of art mysteries that starts with The Wright Three. Those are so fun and well done. Or how about the historical Japanese mysteries that start with The Ghost in the Tokkaido Inn? Those are a breezy and fun read. I also really like the Glen Echo Falls mysteries, which starts with Down the Rabbit Hole by Peter Abrams - those are sold as YA, but the protagonist is younger (I think she's 11) - however the crimes are real bad guy crimes. Still I wouldn't hesitate to give them to a 12 year old reader.

And then there's the classics that well-read kids are ripe for at that age... Watership Down was a great suggestion. How about A Tree Grows in Brooklyn? Or how about I Capture the Castle (which I love so much I named my blog after it). Or To Kill a Mockingbird? Or Of Mice and Men?

Have she tired the "Enchanted Forest" series yet?

The first book is called "Dealing with Dragons"

"... Now, in Cimorene's world--a world cleverly built by author Patricia C. Wrede on the shifting sands of myriad fairy tales--princesses are forever being captured by dragons. The difference here is that Cimorene goes willingly. She would rather keep house for the dragon Kazul than be bored in her parents' castle. With her quick wit and her stubborn courage, Cimorene saves the mostly kind dragons from a wicked plot hatched by the local wizards, and worms her way into the hearts of young girls everywhere."

http://www.amazon.com/Dealing-Dragons-Enchanted-Forest-Chronicles/dp/015204566X/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1308797346&sr=1-1

Have she tired the "Enchanted Forest" series yet?

The first book is called "Dealing with Dragons"

"... Now, in Cimorene's world--a world cleverly built by author Patricia C. Wrede on the shifting sands of myriad fairy tales--princesses are forever being captured by dragons. The difference here is that Cimorene goes willingly. She would rather keep house for the dragon Kazul than be bored in her parents' castle. With her quick wit and her stubborn courage, Cimorene saves the mostly kind dragons from a wicked plot hatched by the local wizards, and worms her way into the hearts of young girls everywhere."

http://www.amazon.com/Dealing-Dragons-Enchanted-Forest-Chronicles/dp/015204566X/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1308797346&sr=1-1

These were absolute favorites of my daughter's. She actually cried when she finished the last one. That's when we discovered that fantasy was her thing.

Lisa

Biographies? I was fascinated by bios of historical figures such as Thomas Jefferson and Amelia Earhart at that age.

I wish she loved these, my younger dd hates fantasy and LOVE biographies, history...this DD doesn NOT consider biographies, etc "fun" reading. :glare:

There's a book called "Honey for a Teen's Heart" that has recommendations.

http://www.amazon.com/Honey-Teens-Heart-Gladys-Hunt/dp/0310242606/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1308795964&sr=8-1

Has she read the Anne of Green Gables series, or other books by that author, L.M. Montgomery? Those are all great.

Yes, she loves LM Montgomery, but she has read them all...she is a seriously fast reader.

WORLD magazine just published their summer books issue. Maybe you could get some good ideas there?!

http://www.worldmag.com

Watership Down?

There's a book called "Honey for a Teen's Heart" that has recommendations.

http://www.amazon.com/Honey-Teens-Heart-Gladys-Hunt/dp/0310242606/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1308795964&sr=8-1

Has she read the Anne of Green Gables series, or other books by that author, L.M. Montgomery? Those are all great.

Here I post again.... :)

This one is also supposedly a good list written by a homeschooler....

http://www.amazon.com/Books-Children-Love-Revised-Literature/dp/1581341989/ref=pd_sim_b_3

Thank Ya'll so much for the lists. I will definitely look into these. I am sure there are things she hasn't read, I just need to find them.

I had your DD's problem when I was 12. I exhausted Austen, the Brontes, Hugo, etc. I still hate biographies. I love fantasy, but only if it's done right and not too fantastic. I wish someone had told me this: Go to the classics. Start off with Homer. Move forward from there. Just do it. The real ones, in good translations. She's old enough to handle the scary parts. If she doesn't like them, try more 18th and 19th century novels. Try poetry. Try Shakespeare.

I truly feel her pain. I stopped reading for a time because there seemed to be nothing out there (except inane teen novels). Then I found Edward Rutherford and Sarum and James Michener and his novels. I was older then, so I'm not sure if they're appropriate for a 12 year old - can't remember. I just remember they grabbed me.

Good luck!

If she likes fantasy, has she done Megan Whelan Turner's Thief series? Those are incredible. How about Robin McKinley's The Blue Sword or The Hero and the Crown? YES, these are awesome books, she loved them! Classics. How about Kristen Cashore's Graceling? Though it's YA and there's some serious romance, I wouldn't mind giving it most 12 yos (though you may feel differently). Or how about Diana Wynne Jones's whole cannon of books? She wrote amazing twisty, mind-bending fantasy tales of all kinds. We have not read these, I I'll look into these! I assume she's already done Madeleine L'Engle's books? Has she already read Shannon Hale? Those are fairy-tale retellings and are occasionally also marked YA but don't really have anything objectionable in them. Already Read these! And while it's slightly younger, how about Savvy or Scumble, both of which were lots of fun?

For more contemporary fare, how about some Polly Horvath? I especially liked My One Hundred Adventures and North to the Moon, both of which are lovely, lyrical tales. Also, it's sort of fantasy, sort of contemporary, but I really like Kathi Appelit's two books - Keeper and The Underneath. And has she read Wendy Mass? She could start with Every Soul a Star, which has a homeschooling theme. Also, I really like Deborah Wiles - try Every Little Bird That Sings or her recent book Countdown, which is historical fiction about the 1960's. And, sticking with the historical fiction, Gloria Whelan is another great author of historical fiction - try Homeless Bird. Or how about Laurie Halse Anderson's middle grades American History series? Never heard of any of these, so I will check them out!

Or, maybe some mysteries? Please tell me she's read the trio of art mysteries that starts with The Wright Three. Those are so fun and well done. Or how about the historical Japanese mysteries that start with The Ghost in the Tokkaido Inn? Those are a breezy and fun read. I also really like the Glen Echo Falls mysteries, which starts with Down the Rabbit Hole by Peter Abrams - those are sold as YA, but the protagonist is younger (I think she's 11) - however the crimes are real bad guy crimes. Still I wouldn't hesitate to give them to a 12 year old reader.

And then there's the classics that well-read kids are ripe for at that age... Watership Down was a great suggestion. How about A Tree Grows in Brooklyn? Or how about I Capture the Castle (which I love so much I named my blog after it). Or To Kill a Mockingbird? Or Of Mice and Men?

AWESOME IDEAS ___THANK YOU :001_smile:

and I just can't pass up a book thread :) I was the same way when I was 12. Here's a list of things I enjoyed.

Anne of Green Gables

Little House

Mrs. Mike (I've reread this every years since I was 8 years old)

Anything by Edith Nesbit or Elizabeth Enright

Agatha Christie

Lamplighter Books

Henty Books

Christy

The Story of the Trapp Family Singers (real story of the Sound of Music)

Charles Dickens, some of the lighter ones

Hope you can keep her in books!

Mrs. Mike (Freedman)--I second this! There is a sequel: The Search for Joyful

Gone Away Lake (Enright)

The Willoughby's (Lowry) alludes to other classic children's literature

Number the Stars (Lowry)

Snow Treasure (McSwigan)

True Confession's of Charlotte Doyle (Avi)

The House of Sixty Fathers (DeJong)

The Kite Fighters (Park)

The Phantom Tollbooth (Juster)

Cheaper by the Dozen (Gilbreth)

Dove (Graham)

A Tree Grows in Brooklyn (Smith)--love Francie

There's a Raccoon in my Parka (Hancock)

Has she read the Emily series by L.M. Montgomery?

The Girl of the Limberlost, Freckles, and Laddie by Gene Stratton Porter.

If you think she can handle the heavier language, how about Jane Austen? If you go that direction, THomas Hardy's books are very fun to read(except Tess of D'Urbervilles - I hated that one). The Mayor of Casterbridge, Far from the Madding Crowd, Return of the Native, The Woodlanders - they are all fun. I read Jane Eyre about at about that age also.

Some of the other authors my dd is just starting to read because I really enjoyed the books -

Emma Dorothy Eliza Nevitte Southworth

George Eliot

R. Austin Freeman

All of these were free or almost free Kindle books and I have really enjoyed them.

I had your DD's problem when I was 12. I exhausted Austen, the Brontes, Hugo, etc. I still hate biographies. I love fantasy, but only if it's done right and not too fantastic. I wish someone had told me this: Go to the classics. Start off with Homer. Move forward from there. Just do it. The real ones, in good translations. She's old enough to handle the scary parts. If she doesn't like them, try more 18th and 19th century novels. Try poetry. Try Shakespeare.

I truly feel her pain. I stopped reading for a time because there seemed to be nothing out there (except inane teen novels). Then I found Edward Rutherford and Sarum and James Michener and his novels. I was older then, so I'm not sure if they're appropriate for a 12 year old - can't remember. I just remember they grabbed me.

Good luck!

:iagree: My other dd has loved exploring Greek and Egyptian myth stories because of the Rick Riordan books. She has several versions of the Illiad and The Odyssey. She loves them.

Mrs. Mike (Freedman)--I second this! There is a sequel: The Search for Joyful

Gone Away Lake (Enright)

Cheaper by the Dozen (Gilbreth)

A Tree Grows in Brooklyn (Smith)--love Francie

Has she read the Emily series by L.M. Montgomery?

Love all of these! Have you read The Search for Joyful? I flipped through it when I was 16, but came across some possible inappropriate content, so I didn't go any further. How was it?

Belles on Their Toes is the sequel to Cheaper by the Dozen.

Ted Dekker and Frank Peretti write Christian mystery. They both have a few for young adults, but their adult novels seem to be fabulous.

The content of these books are safe as far as "adult content" iykwim.:D They are not along the lines of the Left Behind series, though.

Love all of these! Have you read The Search for Joyful? I flipped through it when I was 16, but came across some possible inappropriate content, so I didn't go any further. How was it?

Belles on Their Toes is the sequel to Cheaper by the Dozen.

Search for Joyful does not include as much info on Mrs. Mike and Sgt. Mike Flannagan as I was hoping for but is the story of their adopted Cree daughter who attends nursing school in Montreal then is nursing on the front lines of WWII.

I would love to able to find the book Belles on Their Toes!!

Has she read the Wrinkle in Time series by Madeline L'Engle? I loved them when I was about her age. A Wind in the Door was my favorite.

My son and I are enjoying A Wrinkle in Time which he is currently reading for bookclub. I was wondering about the others in the series. That for the feedback.

We are out of book ideas. She is a 12 yo with a very advanced reading level and she has read almost everything I can think of...

Harry Potter, LOTR, Mysterious Benedict, 39 Clues, everything from Jessica George Day, every single Nancy Drew or Hardy Boys ever written (finished those off years ago :confused:), most Jane Austen books, etc. She is asking for new book ideas and I have no idea what to tell her. Any thoughts?

Edited to Add: She has read all of the Redwall, The Thief series, LM Montgomery, Percy Jackson, The Giver series, and Burnett books.

I just asked this for my 12yodd who is well read in the classics and historical fiction. She loved Chasing Vermeer trilogy and I was hoping to find something contemporary I hadn't heard of!

This is what she's read this summer for fun so far:

Shannon Hale (author of several books)

Gail Carson Levine (author of several books)

Incorrigible Children of Ashton Place series

Lady Grace Mysteries series

I don't have time to go through the list right now to see what's been suggested, so I'll just throw out some authors and series. I'll come back later and add links. :001_smile:

Michael Chabon's Summerland (you don't have to be a huge baseball fan to enjoy)

Salman Rushdie's Haroun and the Sea of Stories

Nancy Farmer's Sea of Trolls trilogy (her other series may or may not be age appropriate for your DD, use your discretion)

Linda Buckley-Archer's Gideon Trilogy

Leon Garfield

Philip Pullman

Philip Reeve (not Here Lies Arthur, but the rest are age appropriate)

Joan Aiken -- short stores, the Wolves Chronicles

Brandon Sanderson's Alcatraz series

Sylvia Waugh -- Mennyms series and the trilogy starting with Space Race

Michael Stott's The Secrets of the Immortal Nicholas Flamel series

The Girl Who Circumnavigated Fairyland in a Ship of Her Own Making

Elizabeth Goudge - The Little White Horse and others.

Kage Baker - The Hotel Under the Sand

Blue Balliett

T.A. Barron

Nina Bawden -- esp. Carrie's War

BB -- The Little Grey Men, Down the Bright Stream, Brendon Chase

L.M. Boston's Green Knowe series

Katherine Brigg's Hobberdy Dick

Carol Ryrie Bring (much more than just Caddie Woodlawn)

Zizou Corder's Lionboy trilogy

Kevin Crossley-Holland's Arthur trilogy and Gatty's Tale (after the trilogy)

Meindert De Jong

Michael Ende -- The Neverending Story, Momo

Alan Garner

Rene Goscinny (Asterix) -- Nicholas series

Margaret Peterson Haddix

Frances Hardinge

Cynthia Harnett

James Herriot

Monica Hughes -- Keeper of the Isis Light and sequels

Mollie Hunter

Eva Ibbotson

Margaret Mahy

Diana Wynne Jones

Terry Jones

Madeleine L'Engle

Jane Langton's Hall Family Chronicles

Geraldine McCaughrean's novels

Eloise Jarvis McGraw

Walter Moers

Garth Nix

Pat O'Shea's The Hounds of the Morrigan

Kenneth Oppel

Edith Pattou's South (a retelling "East of the Sun, West of the Moon")

Michelle Paver's Chronicles of Ancient Darkness series (I was put off by the covers, but these are *really* good)

Tamora Pierce

Laura Ruby's The Wall and the Wing and The Chaos King

Zilpha Keatley Snyder

Mary Stewart's children's books

Catherine Storr's Marianne Dreams

Penelope Farmer's Charlotte Sometimes

Tom's Midnight Garden

James Thurber's The Wonderful O and The 13 Clocks

J.R.R. Tolkien

Anne Ursu's Cronus Trilogy

P.G. Wodehouse

Good suggestions from Mariann...

I always just think there are so many books out there for that age and level of reader that it's hard for me to believe she's actually exhausted everything.

If she likes fantasy, has she done Megan Whelan Turner's Thief series? Those are incredible. How about Robin McKinley's The Blue Sword or The Hero and the Crown? Classics. How about Kristen Cashore's Graceling? Though it's YA and there's some serious romance, I wouldn't mind giving it most 12 yos (though you may feel differently). Or how about Diana Wynne Jones's whole cannon of books? She wrote amazing twisty, mind-bending fantasy tales of all kinds. I assume she's already done Madeleine L'Engle's books? Has she already read Shannon Hale? Those are fairy-tale retellings and are occasionally also marked YA but don't really have anything objectionable in them. And while it's slightly younger, how about Savvy or Scumble, both of which were lots of fun?

For more contemporary fare, how about some Polly Horvath? I especially liked My One Hundred Adventures and North to the Moon, both of which are lovely, lyrical tales. Also, it's sort of fantasy, sort of contemporary, but I really like Kathi Appelit's two books - Keeper and The Underneath. And has she read Wendy Mass? She could start with Every Soul a Star, which has a homeschooling theme. Also, I really like Deborah Wiles - try Every Little Bird That Sings or her recent book Countdown, which is historical fiction about the 1960's. And, sticking with the historical fiction, Gloria Whelan is another great author of historical fiction - try Homeless Bird. Or how about Laurie Halse Anderson's middle grades American History series?

Excellent suggestions for us -- thank you!

Has she read the Wrinkle in Time series by Madeline L'Engle? I loved them when I was about her age. A Wind in the Door was my favorite.

DD loves anything by Madeleine L'Engle. So do I.

Miss Porter's School for Girls has an excellent summer reading list; I cannot remember whose list we used last summer but that was where we found 'the once and future king.'

There is also a series in our library by Carolyn Davis (I think) -- she is mentioned and recommended in 'the latin centered curriculum' and dd LOVED reading that series.